Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter: Dan Snyder chose Malcolm(b) Kelly over Jamaal Charles

SteveFromYellowstone

This is partly why I have Shanny's back as far as what exactly was his fault here in DC.  When he signed on he was given "the keys to the franchise" to make any and all decisions.  After the RGIII trade, reports came out that suggested that Shanny wanted to wait and take Tannehill with our first instead of trading away the future for RGIII.  The person that wanted this trade done was Snyder.... so my concern is that no matter what was said day 1 when Shanny signed papers to be the Skins new coach, that Snyder has had way more decision making at a football level that he needs to have.

The team failed under Shanny, yes.... but I believe some of the failed decision making came from the fingertips of Mr. Snyder.

All ancient history though and I'm not sure why its being brought up now or what relevance it has to whats going to happen going forwards.

It doesn't seem like many actually have read what shefter said. He was asked what he thought of the new front office structure. His point was that there was a front office structure before that was supposed to have final say over personnel decisions. Some of the same gurus that were advising back then are here now. Vinny was supposed to have final say and he didn't. Shefter said he was skeptical that things are going to be different now. Why would people who didn't listen back then listen to the same guys now? He admitted he didn't have intimate knowledge about the internals of the organization but just left it at him being skeptical. That's where the relevance comes in.

I'm glad there are so many optimists on this board when it comes to the new front office structure but just saying "this happened 6 years ago so what" is not really a very objective stance either.

Not sure how much it had to do with Portis.

There was a lot of nonsense in that draft.  2008 was probably one of the worst drafts talent-wise in the last 15 years.  Not to give an excuse to the FO or Dan, but not many people were hitting on studs there.

That said, we're 6-7 years removed from that.

Interesting nonetheless.

I feel the same way, this is old news and way in the past IMO. We all know Snyder was a big time meddler back then (maybe he still is who knows). So it's not like it's shocking to anyone that he would overrule a draft pick. Would Charles being here make a difference? I dunno. Our running game has never really been a problem. Must have been a slow news day.

It doesn't seem like many actually have read what shefter said. He was asked what he thought of the new front office structure. His point was that there was a front office structure before that was supposed to have final say over personnel decisions. Some of the same gurus that were advising back then are here now. Vinny was supposed to have final say and he didn't. Shefter said he was skeptical that things are going to be different now. Why would people who didn't listen back then listen to the same guys now? He admitted he didn't have intimate knowledge about the internals of the organization but just left it at him being skeptical. That's where the relevance comes in.

I'm glad there are so many optimists on this board when it comes to the new front office structure but just saying "this happened 6 years ago so what" is not really a very objective stance either.

By "people" he means Snyder, because nobody else was in the front office "back then".

So Schefter basically said "6 years ago Snyder didn't listen to his scouts and they drafted Kelly instead of Charles" and used that as a basis for his skepticism of how things will go with the Redskins now, even while acknowledging that he didn't have any intimate knowledge about how Snyder and the front office work?

Yeah, he definitely does not deserve any criticism lol...

Snyder isn't an idiot and prone to repeating the same mistakes over and over.  

There is a better then good chance that he did meddle a lot post Marty/pre-Shanahan, realized that was a horrible decision (as evident by how many of the players he fell in love with busted), turned the team over to Shanahan (as he did with Marty who was able to get us to a respectable 8-8), saw that wasn't working out, and has moved on to a new style with a GM working with the input of his advisers.  

Bruce Allen isn't an idiot either.  He must see something in the results from the players the scouts were recommending over the past 6 years that did not get selected by our team.

Shefter said he was skeptical that things are going to be different now. Why would people who didn't listen back then listen to the same guys now? He admitted he didn't have intimate knowledge about the internals of the organization but just left it at him being skeptical. That's where the relevance comes in.

I read it. I just don't agree that there is any relevance to what may or may not have happened 6 years ago with a completely different set of characters to those we have now. Its not the same guys - its not Vinny who is the GM and its not Jim Zorn who is the HC.

The narrative of 'meddling Dan Snyder" is getting old. If Shanny and his mouthpiece could come up with examples of Shanny being over ruled over the last 4 years it would be a story and very worrying - the lack of any such story suggests that Dan gave Shanny full control and stood back. That seems to me at least to be a better gauge of whats likely to be the situation going forwards.

Bruce Allen is the guy in the crosshairs, good or bad, for me.

dude there was a lot of talent in that draft… if we had stayed at 21 we would have had our choice at:

im not saying every one of these guys are all-pros, but almost all of them would be upgrades over what we have now.  

first round guys that have done something in the NFL: jake long, matt ryan, darren mcfadden, glenn dorsey, sedrick ellis, jerod mayo, leodis mckelvin, ryan clady, jonathon stewart, branden albert, dominique rodgers-cromartie, joe flacco, jeff otah, aquib talib, and rashard mendenhall

2008 was a pretty damn solid class if you ask me… it just sucked really bad for us.

My point is there were more busts in that class than just about any other draft.  2009 was close (and probably had a couple more first round guys bust) but for the most part that draft was mediocre talent.

There were a lot of teams who missed. 

Again, not saying that there wasn't talent, I'm just saying that there was a lot of misses.  More so than most drafts.

Bruce Allen isn't an idiot either.  He must see something in the results from the players the scouts were recommending over the past 6 years that did not get selected by our team.

As I said in a previous post he really hope he'll stay away from any sort of talent evaluation, back in Tampa he drafted mostly average players and busts. Let AJ Smith take care of that.

As I said in a previous post he really hope he'll stay away from any sort of talent evaluation, back in Tampa he drafted mostly average players and busts. Let AJ Smith take care of that.

The psychologist in me thinks that we are set up for great things IF Gruden turns out to be a good motivator.  

Talent evaluation is down to Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown not AJ Smith. I'm not sure exactly what his role is as a consultant - or even if he still has a role.

In fairness, Devin Thomas I believe was picked .higher than Kelly, and nobody can claim Dan forced that pick on Vinny Bugeyes. Kelly was a bust because his knees never recovered. It was conceivable he might recover and be a force to be reckoned with - Shaun Rogers and Marshawn Lynch were high risk draft picks due to injury whose selection looked brilliant in retrospect. Thomas, on the other hand, just plain sucked.

In the run up before the super bowl, Schefter releases this nugget of news. He really couldn't come up with something a bit more current? Or relevant to something.

Folks here are pissed about getting the old band back together.

There are clearly allegiances among the media as well.

Personal agenda's when doing their job.

Fair and balanced reporting my arse.

Archived