Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The House that Bruce Built

Voice_of_Reason

Translation of long rant: Fans don't trust Dan Snyder to hire competent people to run the football operation, no matter who he hires.  To be honest, I think this will continue until the team wins. Until then, fans will pick apart every decision.  Again, I think Allen has had a solid offseason, but this was a 3-13 team that well deserved the record they got last year, and expecting it to be much better, particularly with all the injuries we have had so far, is a pipe dream.  I mean, we are missing our starting QB, starting TE, our starting nose tackle and our #1 CB.  To be honest, we are fortunate we've had backups who can fill in at those positions, or else things could be even more dreadful.  Personally, I think there is hope, because outside of the last game, we've been in all of these.

I've never argued that Shanahan said "Without Bruce Allen, I'm staying home."

I never said you were, more responding to the thread in general.

Wasn't Shanahan still being paid by the Broncos, which is why Vinny was fired but not Zorn?  Which is why the confusion, for some at least.

Mike hired Bruce, a TK or Jsteelz type can likely confirm. Haslett not going was apparantly at least part due money too.

It is pretty hilarious (if true) that he let Vinny decide to throw 100Mil at a scrub (Haynesworth) that you just had to know wasn't going to pan out but won't replace a scrub defensive coordinator who hasn't had a top 10 defense since the year after he replaced Dick Lebeau back when Norv was still trying to win with Heath Shuler. :lol:

I'd be mad if it wasn't so pathetic and who expected anything else?

It can't be about the money. Snyder is the best owner in sports, because he is willing to pay any price to make the team better.

Except, possibly, when it comes to coaching salaries.

And scouting.

And facilities.

And catering.

I'm not sure about this.  He's set the bar on paying for coaching salaries.  Spurrier was the first $5m/year guy.  He basically out-bid the Ravens for Marvin Lewis to bring him here as a DC.  

The problem really hasn't been willingness to spending money, it's that he's picked the wrong guys to spend money on.

• Like 1

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/1/30/2758152/how-shanahan-improved-the-redskins-scouting-departmenthttp://www.hogshaven.com/2012/1/30/2758152/how-shanahan-improved-the-redskins-scouting-department

Here's some info on how poor our scouting department was, and one of the reasons I have hope in Bruce and just the existence of a competent GM right now.

Washington was one of the few teams that did not belong to one of the NFL's scouting co-operatives. Joining one "was the first thing on my list," Campbell said. Shanahan was shocked the Redskins were not members of any, so with his full support they joined BLESTO. BLESTO is a co-operative among which seven teams - Buffalo, Detroit, Jacksonville, Minnesota, the New York Giants, Pittsburgh and Washington - share evaluations of prospects, including performance on the field, medical information, family history and height and weight specifics. "It gets you on a level playing field with everybody else, getting the same information," Campbell said.

If Dan did intervene and pressured Mike to go after RG3, it's because Mike was an idiot, and didn't even draft a single QB before RG3.

How long do you want Dan to sit idly by, watching the clowns Mike was trying at QB? If you were a "hands off" owner, how many years into a rebuild would it take you getting those hands dirty, and start pushing for a QB to be drafted? 

How is he wiser than anyone else to select a QB ? I remember last time Snyder was enamored with a QB it was with Sanchez.

2010 only 2 QB were drafted in the first round Bradford and Tebow. In the second only one Clausen, and I do remember that he was labelled the most NFL ready QB of the draft. That was a putrid draft for QBs.

2011 Scam was unreachable at 1st, Locker, Gabbert and Ponder were selected before we picked, did you expect Shanny to trade up for those 3 ? I don't think you can blame him for not selecting a QB during these 2 drafts.

Edited by FrFan

Dalton was around and they had the ammo to get him with 2 2nd round picks and a 3rd to play with at the time. They could have also traded down further, picked up another 2nd and change, and picked him late 1st.  Kaep was also available, and Kaep is a good QB, thoug he's getting unfairly blamed for the 49ers relatively poor start (that entire team has fallen off a cliff kinda). You could have taken a shot with Colt McCoy as well, who isn't very very good but he would have been a reasonable developmental prospect without the benefit of hindsight.

Shanahan appeared to be whollly uninterested in developing a young QB to be quite honest. Why else would you walk onto a 4-12 team and trade a 2nd for Donovan McNabb? Why would you go into 2011 with Beck, Grossman and NOBODY ELSE as your QBs? Beck and Grossman are okay for a rebuilding team that just drafted Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick and doesn't want to throw their rookie into the fire right away.

Why else would you run triple option **** and get your franchise QB killed? Why would you send him out as a ****ing wide reciever? Why would you spend a bunch of picks on an ubertalented but somewhat raw spread QB then draft a "pro ready" QB in the 4th? All of this stuff seems to scream "I ain't got time to develop no damn quarterback".

RGIII was basically our only shot at salvaging the QB situation during Shanny's tenure, unless we have a crystal ball with one prediction saying "Draft Russell Wilson" that Shanny forgot about. And please don't say Nick Foles. System QB who needs elite OL play and the opposing defense to ignore him to stop McCoy.

Edited by The Robert Griffin Experience
  • Like 1

How is he wiser than anyone else to select a QB ? I remember last time Snyder was enamored with a QB it was with Sanchez.

2010 only 2 QB were drafted in the first round Bradford and Tebow. In the second only one Clausen, and I do remember that he was labelled the most NFL ready QB of the draft. That was a putrid draft for QBs.

2011 Scam was unreachable at 1st, Locker, Gabbert and Ponder were selected before we picked, did you expect Shanny to trade up for those 3 ? I don't think you can blame him for not selecting a QB during these 2 drafts.

My point was more Mike did not draft a single QBs in 2 years of a 5 year window to win. 

If you were the owner, wouldn't you be wondering about when he may draft one, and maybe say something to your coach?

That was more my point. 

Mike didn't even take a 1 in a 100 chance on a late rounder developing into a backup.  Maybe he stumbles onto someone that clicked with Kyle, and saves us all those picks. All those QBs you listed, also did not fail on their own. Perhaps they were not used to their strengths. Had a dumb stubborn OC with an oversized playbook. Maybe their OLs sucked ass, their confidence destroyed after getting pummeled week after week.

Mike could have targeted Dalton, or passed on RG3 and taken Wilson or Kap of course. Mike paid a lot for one player in part because he was desperate.   Or, did so out of spite towards Danny maybe meddling, or frustration after pushing all in on Beck and Grossman and looking like an idiot.

Edited by RandyHolt

Allen is not -- has never been, and nor will he ever be -- someone who can build an organization. What he is good at, however, is building team relations with the community. My guess is that he was all too willing to come on board with Shanahan in 2009, even though Shanahan wielded the real power, because he knew would simply have to bide time and find a way to gain the reigns of power himself. Now he has it. Let's just hope he uses it, and empowers people who really know player-personnel, scouting, and team building.

Edited by skinzplay

Snyder was talking to Shanahan during the season when he knew he was whacking Zorn. (Hell, there's an article that describes how Snyder used to talk to people around the league about Shanahan in front of Zorn). Shanahan let it be known that he was not going to work with Cerrato but would work with Bruce Allen. So, Snyder whacks Vinny and names Bruce GM. Bruce is the one who formally fires Zorn and formally conducts the team interviews (which were all a show because they knew who they wanted). Shanahan is hired and immediately takes control of all football operations, meaning he was Bruce Allen's boss.

Is the argument really that Bruce Allen hired Mike Shanahan to be his boss? Because that's dumb.

I thought this was pretty well known. Sort of surprised there are folks who think Bruce Allen hired Shanahan.

Damn, wish I saw this thread before starting a new one.

I've never been a huge Bruce Allen fan, but these challenges have just tossed me off the cliff.   I now know he's the current roadblock in the Skins return to glory.

Edited by GibbsFactor

Damn, wish I saw this thread before starting a new one.

I've never been a huge Bruce Allen fan, but these challenges have just tossed me off the cliff.   I now know he's the current roadblock in the Skins return to glory.

Don't fool yourself.  The roadblock of which you speak has been and continues to be Danny Boy Snyder. 

Going forward this will be the house that Bruce Allen builds but I don't fault him for the current team because he's only been at thee decision maker this offseason. Prior to that Mike Shanahan was the end of all be all when it came to personnel etc.

I like Jay okay, his style isn't my preference but he's shown it can be productive.

I am starting to worry about his demeanor and the team's level of discipline.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It can't be about the money. Snyder is the best owner in sports, because he is willing to pay any price to make the team better.

Except, possibly, when it comes to coaching salaries.

And scouting.

And facilities.

And catering.

Its been statef before; if Snyder would splurge on scouting The Redskins could have perennial talent everywhere. They could find top notch talent and role players in every round and off other teams rosters.

As it stands now Was has one of the smallest understaffed scouting units in the NFL.

Its been statef before; if Snyder would splurge on scouting The Redskins could have perennial talent everywhere. They could find top notch talent and role players in every round and off other teams rosters.

As it stands now Was has one of the smallest understaffed scouting units in the NFL.

Well posters in this thread disagree.  Not me :angry:

• Like 1

if we can get a FO that will actual keep their draft picks, maybe things can improve

I agree. Though I think this board tends to overvalue draft picks.

All that's missing from that pic is Dan Snyder running out of the house with his Redskins Belt Buckle.

House is definitely on fire.

I don't know how you put it out, though.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason