Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

You're seriously in midseason panic mode in the second week of ST because someone has a little soreness? I guess Desond is done cause he split his pinky open and is off the rest of the week.

Desmond doesn't have a four year history with that pinky.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/03/17/ross-detwiler-to-pitch-in-relief-may-be-heading-to-bullpen/

The Nationals answered the first major question about the composition of their pitching staff in surprising fashion Monday, shifting incumbent fifth starter Ross Detwiler to the bullpen and leaving a competition for the final spot in their rotation between a pair of talented rookies and maybe even a veteran who did not pitch in the majors last season.

The Nationals scheduled Detwiler to pitch an inning in relief of Taylor Jordan on Wednesday, the first indication that Detwiler, the sixth overall pick in the 2007 draft, will begin the season in the Nationals’ bullpen. Manager Matt Williams informed Detwiler in the morning and confirmed the shift to reporters in the afternoon.

Detwiler was “not happy,” Williams said. “But I wouldn’t expect him to be.”

“We feel like it’s a good move for our team,” Williams added. “He provides something special out of the bullpen for us. I don’t if anybody would ever be really happy with something like that. We don’t feel like it’s a demotion of any sort. We just feel like we’re a better team with him coming out of our bullpen. He offers something that’s special — power lefty, mid-90s lefty. It doesn’t mean he won’t start at some point in the future.”

With Detwiler headed to the bullpen, Williams said, the Nationals’ fifth starter competition will come down to Jordan and Tanner Roark, two rookies who impressed in cameos last season, and 6-foot-10 veteran Chris Young, who is in camp on a minor league deal.

Always thought Detwiler would be better out of the pen. Very rare to see a starter who really only throws one pitch. If he embraces his role, he can be a weapon.

Taylor Jordan and Roark have had a strong ST, I think one of those two will win the 5th spot.

Jordan has been given the chance to start this whole ST and he has exceeded expectations. having an another lefty in the pen who can come in a dime like Ross will be worth it. Especially now that we have a legit 5 we won't have him doing too much long relief like we did when we had haren and jackson

OF Steven Souza, Jr. was one of six guys cut from major league camp today, but not before making some noise this spring.  Yesterday he homered in his first two at bats, then added an RBI  triple in the 7th in a win against the Astros.

In 17 spring games he hit .355 (11-for-31) with three homers and a 1.235 OPS. 

Souza  and OF Eury Perez were optioned to Class AAA Syracuse.  P Sammy Solis was optioned to Class AA Harrisburg. OF Brian Goodwin, IF Mike Fontenot, and 10 year veteran catcher Koyie Hill (none of them members of the 40-man roster) were reassigned to minor-league camp. 

Later came word that catcher Hill was traded to the Phillies for a PTBNL or cash.

OF Steven Souza, Jr. was one of six guys cut from major league camp today, but not before making some noise this spring.  Yesterday he homered in his first two at bats, then added an RBI  triple in the 7th in a win against the Astros.

In 17 spring games he hit .355 (11-for-31) with three homers and a 1.235 OPS. 

Souza  and OF Eury Perez were optioned to Class AAA Syracuse.  P Sammy Solis was optioned to Class AA Harrisburg. OF Brian Goodwin, IF Mike Fontenot, and 10 year veteran catcher Koyie Hill (none of them members of the 40-man roster) were reassigned to minor-league camp. 

Later came word that catcher Hill was traded to the Phillies for a PTBNL or cash.

This kid Souza might have finally got his **** together. Let's see how he reacts to being in AAA.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2014/3/18/5522582/is-nationals-second-baseman-anthony-rendon-headed-for-a-breakout

Is Nationals' Second Baseman Anthony Rendon Headed For A Breakout Campaign?

With a full, healthy season behind him and the experience of what he learned at second base as a rookie in 2013, what should be expected of Rendon in 2014? ESPN.com's Keith Law listed Rendon as one of "10 breakout picks for 2014," writing this morning that he sees plenty of reasons that the top-ranked hitter in the 2011 Draft, who finished his collegiate career with a combined .371/.505/.679 line, 46 doubles, 52 HRs, 176 walks and 78 Ks in 187 games, will improve on his rookie campaign.

Citing his "tremendous bat speed" and "excellent eye" at the plate, and the fact that he seemed to still be "evolving as a hitter" in the majors with the Nationals last season, the ESPN analyst projects a .300/.360/.440-ish line for Rendon this season.

Through eleven Grapefruit League games, Rendon is 9 for 28 (.321/.412/.500) with a double and home run. Are the injury issues (which were random at least) behind him? Will his comfort with second base allow him to concentrate more on his hitting? With a full pro season behind him, is the Nationals' 2011 1st Round pick ready for a breakout campaign in the nation's capital in 2014?

I knew the hurt part. I was wondering if there were plans for him to pitch in a game before the season starts.

He pitched in a minor league game a couple days ago, and threw about thirty pitches.  I don't think its a foregone conclusion that he's healthy for his first start, and/or stretched out long enough for that first start.  I think they are thinking more like start 2.  That being said, we won't need a fifth starter the first time through the rotation due to off days.

I also think Roark has the upper hand on the fifth starter spot right now.  We'll see, but my gut tells me that they think Jordan can do some more developing at AAA and then get the call up.  We'll see.

I like Jordan's stuff but Roark was more polished.

Det will be a beast out of the pen. I like Det but he could never get more than 5 innings, he always struggled the 2nd time thru a lineup and the 3rd time he'd get blasted. Now he can come in the 6th-8th innings and just steamroll guys.

I read, though I can't confirm, that Wilson Ramos has driven in every RISP this spring except for a flyout in today's game.  My goodness, if he stays healthy he could be a monster in the lineup this year.

Not sure where you can find that.  I'm expecting good things from him this season.  They interviewed Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainright on Comcast earlier this week and, among other things, asked him about Strasburg.  Wainwright referred to him as a “freak.”

“He’s been given an arm from the Gods,” Wainwright said. “He’s a guy who has an arm that everyone is kind of envious of.”

"You got a gift. When you were a baby, the Gods reached down and turned your right arm into a thunderbolt." -- Crash Davis

I am pretty sure there is a Bull Durham quote for everything...

I would have thought the FAA has more important things to do? :lol:

Nationals told to stop using drones

"WASHINGTON -- The Washington Nationals were told last month by the Federal Aviation Administration to stop using a small, four-rotor drone to take publicity photos at the team's spring training facility without the agency's permission.

"No, we didn't get it cleared, but we don't get our pop flies cleared either and those go higher than this thing did,'' a team official told The Associated Press.

The drone flights ceased the next day. The official wasn't authorized to speak publicly and asked not to be named."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10629160/washington-nationals-told-faa-stop-using-drones-permission

Archived