Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

30 in baseball is not that old. 30 in baseball is like, 27 in other sports. Baseball players primes tend to start later.

With that said, $100+ Mil is a lot for Desi. He's a great player, but we're going to need $ to keep Stras/Harper. It's looking likely that Jordan Zimmermann will be a salary casualty.

30 in baseball is not that old. 30 in baseball is like, 27 in other sports. Baseball players primes tend to start later.

With that said, $100+ Mil is a lot for Desi. He's a great player, but we're going to need $ to keep Stras/Harper. It's looking likely that Jordan Zimmermann will be a salary casualty.

30 isn't old, I just don't like the idea of paying a player crazy dollars for his age 35 & 36 seasons. Its rare to find a huge deal given to a player around age 30 that really worked out.

The Lerner's got bank though, if they want to keep everybody they can. If it comes to a choice between Desi & J.Zimm, I would choose Desi. I think it would be easier to replace J.Zimm. We would have to look to the trade market if we wanted to replace Desi.

Players still begin to decline around 30 in baseball.  So, you do have to be careful about paying players past their age 30 season.  

I will say this... we have gone back to pre-steroids era declines so to speak.  Its easy to remember that 37 year olds used to lead the league in hitting regularly, but that seems to have reverted back to normal now.  This was actually out today on fivethirtyeight.com:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-return-of-mlbs-youth/

The Lerner's got bank though, if they want to keep everybody they can.

I'm just telling myself this.  I love the group they've put together so I'm choosing to take a head in the sand approach and just imagine them resigning all of them, at least until someone walks and I have to face it.

30 is becoming 30 again with testing. You aren't going to see any 36 year olds having career years anymore.

30 is becoming 30 again with testing. You aren't going to see any 36 year olds having career years anymore.

Probably not, but if you're a good player I think you'll be good throughout your 30s. Take Jayson Werth for example.

I don't think Desi is the type that will just completely drop off once he hits 31-32.

Probably not, but if you're a good player I think you'll be good throughout your 30s. Take Jayson Werth for example.

I don't think Desi is the type that will just completely drop off once he hits 31-32.

I think he's been somewhat of an outlier, but even he has had trouble staying healthy.  

Don't look at Werth and think that's a normal aging curve.  Look at the other 99% of MLB players that aren't making it to age 35 seasons.

Like I posted above, fivethirtyeight did some actual analysis of this and found that the older players aren't contributing as much anymore.

I'm not trying to argue with you. All I'm saying is: The Nats offered ~$12.9m/yr for 7 years. He signed for $17.5m/yr for 2 years. That puts him in the hole for ~$8.3m for those 2 years ($12.9 - $8.75 = $4.15 x 2). So he's forfeited that amount for less money now hoping to make it up later.

The 7/$90 seemed like a fair offer to me. I wonder what he is asking? That seems to be the unknown: What is he looking to get paid?

He will make it up on the back end. It seems low to me. Jose Reyes and Hanley Ramirez will both be making more. 13.5-15 million a year should have been the offer.

I expect Desmond to stay productive through 32 years old. That's four seasons of top tier production at SS.

Holy Jeebus Bryce is jacked:

https://twitter.com/aaronbarrett30/status/448483248474054656/photo/1

If he doesn't hit 50 homers, he'll win a lot of arm wrestling contests.

He CRUSHED a three-run homer yesterday halfway up the left field flag pole against the Mets Zach Wheeler.

---

As for the Tanner Roark - Taylor Jordan battle for the 5th starting pitcher slot... Nothing's been decided yet, right?  Yet check this out from the Nats' official website under single game ticket purchases.  Under the April 4 game against Atlanta, "Probable pitchers" is "Taylor Jordan vs TBD":

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/ticketing/singlegame.jsp?c_id=was&y=2014&affiliateId=S29IQ9281-18F

Then under the probable pitchers tab you get:

“Jordan competed against right-handers Tanner Roark and Chris Young for the fifth spot and won the job during the final week of Spring Training. For the spring, he was 2-2 with a 3.92 ERA.”

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers/index.jsp?c_id=was&date=2014/04/04

Holy Jeebus Bryce is jacked:

https://twitter.com/aaronbarrett30/status/448483248474054656/photo/1

If he doesn't hit 50 homers, he'll win a lot of arm wrestling contests.

Apparently, there are those who disagree:

"The term "overrated" is hard to define, but let's say it really means "over-hyped" or talked about too much. Does that mean Major League Baseball players are right, and Washington Nationals slugger Bryce Harper is the most overrated?"

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bryce-harper-named--most-overrated--in-anonymous-poll-of-143-major-leaguers-154049512.html

Don't shoot the messenger....

Closing in on the final roster. Some moves:

The #Nats have optioned RHP Ryan Mattheus, LHP Xavier Cedeno & 1B/OF Tyler Moore to Triple-A Syracuse.

Additionally, the #Nats have released RHP Chris Young and INF Jamey Carroll.

Williams says #Nats could give final bench spot to Jeff Kobernus, or go with a three-catcher rotation with Ramos, Lobaton and Leon

Roark is not an option for the 'pen at this point. If Fister is healthy, either Roark or Jordan makes rotation, the other goes to AAA

So it sounds like the final spots are Kobernus as a utility guy vs Leon as 3rd catcher. And of course Jordan vs Roark as the 5th starter. Loser going to AAA.

Closing in on the final roster. Some moves:

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko  5m

Williams says #Nats could give final bench spot to Jeff Kobernus, or go with a three-catcher rotation with Ramos, Lobaton and Leon

So it sounds like the final spots are Kobernus as a utility guy vs Leon as 3rd catcher. And of course Jordan vs Roark as the 5th starter. Loser going to AAA.

I like Kobernus' speed off the bench vs. 3rd catcher. They traded for Lobaton, so it would appear he sticks & Leon would go to AAA.

it looks like aaron barnett has made the pen but i see why kobernus is a choice. He is so fast while having 3 catchers allows Ramos to play every day and be used as a pinch hitter early in games and give rest on his body for one of the best RBI catches in the NL

Washington Nationals ‏@Nationals  13m
The #Nats have informed RHP Aaron Barrett that he has made the Major League team.

Excellent

The only way we go with a three catcher rotation is if the plan is to play Ramos at first base against lefties.

So Chris Young goes from battling for 5th starter to cut.  And I guess cutting Jamey Carroll is part of a youth movement.  He would have been a pretty solid bench guy to have around.

BTW, nobody wants to comment on the Nats' ticket office jumping the gun on naming Taylor Jordan over Tanner Roark before the coaching staff even did? (See my post above.) I thought that was a pretty interesting tidbit.

Let's hope Tyler Moore gets his mojo back.

Here's a nice little piece written by Jason Werth on what opening day means to him.

Jayson Werth: Opening Day is Like a Holiday

My favorite Opening Day was in Toronto in 2003. Blue Jays vs. the Yankees. I started the year on the disabled list because of a wrist injury. I wasn't on the DL long, but I was able to stay with the team. It was Roger Clemens vs. Roy Halladay at the Skydome.

If you remember, the year before, Josh Phelps was called up, and he was a DH/catcher. So Phelps hits two homers off "The Rocket." So here we are -- Opening Day -- and Phelps is hitting fifth, and we are in a packed house in the Skydome.

It's the bottom of the first inning, two outs, it's first and second, and Phelps comes to the plate. The first pitch is a 95-mph fastball right at Phelps' ribs. That was the first time Clemens got a chance to face Phelps since he hit two homers off him. That loaded the bases -- Opening Day. Clemens then threw three straight splits to strike out Eric Hinske and get out of the inning.

Even though I was on the DL, it was a dream come true to be on a Major League team. I will always remember it because of what happened, and it was my first Major League Opening Day. It was a lesson learned. It was old-school baseball at its best right there.

I know when I'm no longer involved in Opening Day as a player, it will be a sad day. It's such a happy time, a festive day. It's like a holiday for some people. 

More: http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article/was/jayson-werth-opening-day-is-like-a-holiday?ymd=20140325&content_id=70099456

BTW, nobody wants to comment on the Nats' ticket office jumping the gun on naming Taylor Jordan over Tanner Roark before the coaching staff even did? (See my post above.) I thought that was a pretty interesting tidbit.

Let's hope Tyler Moore gets his mojo back.

My opinion is that it's Jordan's spot to lose.  He's got one more start, correct?  If Roark had won the spot, I think they would have announced it already.  I believe how Jordan does in his last start makes the final determination.  Ticket office probably should not have jumped the gun, but anyone planning on going to that specific game isn't going to see Taylor Jordan or Tanner Roark, unless it's close friends and family, this isn't Strasburg or Harper.

As for Tyler Moore, the sooner he's gone the better in my opinion.  Guy strikes out too much (I don't like all aspects of Moneyball) and is too unreliable for my taste.

Oh, I'm definitely going to the opener, but I'm going to do what I always do.  Wait till the day of and buy a e-ticket off Stubhub.  By the morning of the game, people get desperate and you can get seats behind the dugouts for $40-$50.

So what does Scott Hairston bring to the team? It can't be his offense or defense. Is he great in the clubhouse/provide leadership? I've heard literally nothing about him.

Scott Hairston mashes left handed pitching.  Has his whole life.  He's a bench bat to smash LOOGY's as they come in.

And don't be fooled by his line last year.  His BABIP was far below his career averages despite his batted ball profile being largely the same.  He suffered some bad luck in a small sample.

As for Tyler Moore, the sooner he's gone the better in my opinion.  Guy strikes out too much (I don't like all aspects of Moneyball) and is too unreliable for my taste.

Yeah, I've grown tired of waiting for him to fix his bad habits. I think it was last ST where he said he needed to relax at the plate to improve. He didn't and is still striking out too much for me, too. Maybe playing more often somewhere will help him, but I don't see it happening here.

Archived