Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

I mean, Werth looks like he just came from the Yukon wilderness, deep cover in the bush for months during winter. I know he's all about the follicles, but c'mon guy. It's darn near 80 degrees in Albemarle county, mid to upper 70s in the mid-atlantic, right now. It has to be similarly warm down in Florida, them locks must be hot.

That Medlen injury looked bad, hate the Braves, but I don't like seeing pitchers grabbing elbows.

looks like he's getting his 2nd TJ surgery ... people were comparing his recovery plan to Strasburgs weren't they? I feel bad for the kid, but I wonder if the Nats, for now, feel justified. 

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24479557/braves-kris-medlen-expects-to-have-second-tommy-john-surgery

looks like he's getting his 2nd TJ surgery ... people were comparing his recovery plan to Strasburgs weren't they? I feel bad for the kid, but I wonder if the Nats, for now, feel justified. 

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24479557/braves-kris-medlen-expects-to-have-second-tommy-john-surgery

Boswell's article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/atlanta-braves-kris-medlen-illustrates-most-elusive-baseball-metric-pitchers-health/2014/03/12/41c4ab58-aa1b-11e3-b61e-8051b8b52d06_story.html

ESPN & MLBN were killing us for shutting Strasburg down and holding up Medlan and the Braves of an example of how you do it right. This sucks for Medlan and the Braves. Hate to see it. But now maybe everyone can admit there is no foolproof way to bring a guy back from TJ? 

Also, 3/5 of the Braves rotation are gonna be on the DL opening day. We have 6 games in April, need to make hay early (5 outta 6).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/steven-souza-jr-impresses-at-nationals-training-camp-less-than-three-years-after-nearly-quitting/2014/03/11/77e4bcd4-a960-11e3-8599-ce7295b6851c_story.html

Steven Souza Jr. impresses at Nationals training camp less than three years after nearly quitting

VIERA, Fla. — In the fall of 2011, Washington Nationals prospect Steven Souza Jr. quit the sport he loved and the team that drafted him. He had already served a suspension for violating baseball’s drug policy and been benched by his manager. So rather than report to the team’s offseason instructional league in Florida, he went home to Everett, Wash.

Souza contacted major college coaches about playing football. The responses were positive, but “once I got the e-mails back, I had a reality check,” he said Tuesday morning. “Do I really want to do this?”

Now, at 24, he is at his first major league spring training and is a legitimate prospect in the Nationals’ system. His speed and power have caught the eye of Manager Matt Williams.

“He’s a man,” Williams said of the 6-foot-4, 225-pound outfielder.

“He understands the game. He’s aggressive. . . . I’ve been impressed with his makeup first and foremost, and the way he’s played this spring, he’s been great.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22944#.UxSDmPFJBE4.twitter

25-and-Under Talent Rankings Ranking All 30 Teams from Top to Bottom

2. Washington Nationals

1. Stephen Strasburg (25)
2. Bryce Harper (21)
3. Lucas Giolito (19)
4. Anthony Rendon (23)
5. A.J. Cole (22)
6. Brian Goodwin (23)
7. Taylor Jordan (25)
8. Michael Taylor (22)
9. Jake Johansen (23)
10. Jefry Rodriguez (20)

Made MLB Debut? 4
Farm System Ranking: 18
Top 10 Prospects: Link
Prospects on the BP 101: 3
Top Prospect: Lucas Giolito
Summary: While the Nationals' U25 list isn't as deep as the Cardinals’, it offers an intriguing package of star power.Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper might be the best tandem in baseball for the next 10 years, and each offers an elite ceiling. Lucas Giolito is far from reaching his massive promise, but the trio of potential 8-grade ceilings at the top of Washington's list is unmatched in baseball. For good measure, Washington has a potential all-star in Anthony Rendonand some solid role-5 guys at the back of its top 10. –Jordan Gorosh

The rest of the top 5:

1. St Louis Cardinals

3. Atlanta Braves

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

5. Miami Marlins

Yea, from what I read it sounds like routine camp soreness. Still gonna keep my fingers crossed tho with Zimm.

Sorry, I don't buy it. We've done this dance before. Like 2011, 2012, and 2013. Just shut him down for ST or, at most, DH him, and let's see what he has the first week of the season. Rendon is fine at third and Espinosa may, or may not, be able to hit. But we can't have another season of Zim playing the worst defense in baseball at third.

Sorry, I don't buy it. We've done this dance before. Like 2011, 2012, and 2013. Just shut him down for ST or, at most, DH him, and let's see what he has the first week of the season. Rendon is fine at third and Espinosa may, or may not, be able to hit. But we can't have another season of Zim playing the worst defense in baseball at third.

So, dude takes two days off during spring training, and you have given up on him?  Sounds a bit rash.

You're seriously in midseason panic mode in the second week of ST because someone has a little soreness? I guess Desond is done cause he split his pinky open and is off the rest of the week.

So Stras pitched 4 scoreless innings against the Marlins today.  He gave up 2 hits, walked one, and struck out 4.  Nice outing. 

Obviously sounds like he had better control than his 1st outing.

Is there somewhere to see his pitches? I'd like to see when he threw his slider & the result?  I only caught a little bit of his 1st game & he struggled a bit with it when I saw him throw it.

I read, though I can't confirm, that Wilson Ramos has driven in every RISP this spring except for a flyout in today's game.  My goodness, if he stays healthy he could be a monster in the lineup this year.

Obviously sounds like he had better control than his 1st outing.

Is there somewhere to see his pitches? I'd like to see when he threw his slider & the result?  I only caught a little bit of his 1st game & he struggled a bit with it when I saw him throw it.

Not sure where you can find that.  I'm expecting good things from him this season.  They interviewed Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainright on Comcast earlier this week and, among other things, asked him about Strasburg.  Wainwright referred to him as a “freak.”

“He’s been given an arm from the Gods,” Wainwright said. “He’s a guy who has an arm that everyone is kind of envious of.”

I read, though I can't confirm, that Wilson Ramos has driven in every RISP this spring except for a flyout in today's game.  My goodness, if he stays healthy he could be a monster in the lineup this year.

Not sure where you can find that.  I'm expecting good things from him this season.  They interviewed Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainright on Comcast earlier this week and, among other things, asked him about Strasburg.  Wainwright referred to him as a “freak.”

“He’s been given an arm from the Gods,” Wainwright said. “He’s a guy who has an arm that everyone is kind of envious of.”

Thanks, I kind of figured that. I was just curious to see his progress with the slider.

Archived