Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

First ST game Fri. Ready to see the guys back out there.

Washington Nationals (@Nationals): First lineup of 2014! Here's the #Nats lineup for Friday's Grapefruit League opener vs #Mets: Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) #Nats lineup for Friday vs. Mets: McLouth 9, Espinosa 4, Zimmerman 5, LaRoche 3, Desmond 6, Ramos 2, Moore DH, Hairston 7, Perez 8, Jordan 1

So is there any significance to Taylor Jordan being given the start to open spring training?  He's competing for 5th starter slot. Or is that assignment pretty much random?

So is there any significance to Taylor Jordan being given the start to open spring training?  He's competing for 5th starter slot. Or is that assignment pretty much random?

I mean, this could be complete crap since there are split squad games and different guys who will get a crack at the #5 job, but I think it is generally calculated out so that opening day will fall on Strasburg's scheduled turn in the rotation.

He's being given the opportunity to compete for the 5th starter spot.

This is a personal opinion, and I don't have much to back it up, but my gut tells me we would be better off with Taylor Jordan as the 5th starter and Ross Detwiler as a lefty relief pitcher.

Jordan has three pitches. Detwiler has one and occasionally drops a hook. He's never mastered the change up and now we here he's talking about adding a cutter. But the bottom line is that Detwiler has a power fastball/sinker and not much else. As a fifth starter, all we want is for the pitcher to get through the lineup twice (or through the 5th inning) but still, it's not a repitore. But with the limited sample size we have, Jordan was just as good last year as Detwiler was in 2012.

In his relief appearances (back when Wang was a thing), Detwiler looked better. He had more velocity. He had more strikeouts. He came in with vigor. Couple that with the fact that he's a lefty and has the abilty to get ground ball outs and he takes Mattheus, spot and is probably more useful due to his ability to pitch to more than a couple batters.

The Nationals have a small stockpile of number 4/5 starters right now. Ohlendorf, Roark, Jordan, and Detwiler could all do this job. But none of them would be useful out of the pen as anything more than spot starter/mop up duty except for Detwiler. So, if Jordan shows he's capable, the Nats may be better served with Detwiler in the pen.

This is a personal opinion, and I don't have much to back it up, but my gut tells me we would be better off with Taylor Jordan as the 5th starter and Ross Detwiler as a lefty relief pitcher.

I guess I'll keep an eye on Jordan this spring.  I figured he was the darkhorse candidate for No. 5 behind Detweiler, Roark, and Ohlendorf. 

Another guy I was intrigued by in 2012 but who's been constantly hurt is Christian Garcia.  Davey Johnson wanted to turn him into a starter after he looked great in his late season callup but he got hurt right at the beginning of spring training in 2013.  I don't even know now whether he's in camp as a starter or a reliever.  But man he looked good in those few appearances during their 2012 pennant run.

Jordan has three pitches. Detwiler has one and occasionally drops a hook. He's never mastered the change up and now we here he's talking about adding a cutter. But the bottom line is that Detwiler has a power fastball/sinker and not much else. As a fifth starter, all we want is for the pitcher to get through the lineup twice (or through the 5th inning) but still, it's not a repitore. But with the limited sample size we have, Jordan was just as good last year as Detwiler was in 2012.

In his relief appearances (back when Wang was a thing), Detwiler looked better. He had more velocity. He had more strikeouts. He came in with vigor. Couple that with the fact that he's a lefty and has the abilty to get ground ball outs and he takes Mattheus, spot and is probably more useful due to his ability to pitch to more than a couple batters.

The Nationals have a small stockpile of number 4/5 starters right now. Ohlendorf, Roark, Jordan, and Detwiler could all do this job. But none of them would be useful out of the pen as anything more than spot starter/mop up duty except for Detwiler. So, if Jordan shows he's capable, the Nats may be better served with Detwiler in the pen.

I was thinking the same thing--either Jordan or Roark as the 5th starter. I like Det more as a late-inning lefty reliever to pair with Blevins. This also gives Solis more time in the minors, rather than having him work out of the pen (which I have heard rumored). I also have the feeling that, by the end of the year, Sammy Solis will be our 5th starter.

I just looked at the schedule...they are getting the hate out early: 6 of our 1st 12 are against the Braves. I want to stomp that team like there's no tomorrow. Jayson Stark just called Kris Medlen an "ace." Really? He'd be our 4th--possibly 5th starter. There are maybe 3 players I would take on the Nats: Kimbrel, Freeman and Avilan. That's it.

No Upton. No Simmons. Or the rest of their overrated jackholes. Chris Johnson won't ever come close to .321 again. I'm really glad McCann is gone, Gattis won't come close to replacing him (can anyone say "Mendoza line"?). Uggla is 33 and declining rapidly. Juston Upton will have his one great month and then be mediocre the rest of the way; his brother will continue to suck (~.230 BA, .300 OBP)

And don't get me started on their whiney, ****-assed fans. This is an actual conversation between two Braves fans last year:

Fan1: Hey--want to go to the game tonight? We're in the playoffs!

Fan2: No! Someone at ESPN didn't pick the Braves. I need to register my complaints and talk about how great our 27-year-old-rookie is!!

Fan1: What?! Someone doesn't think the Braves are the greatest team ever?! I will join you! I can't possibly actually attend the game!!

(Seriously, go read the ESPN comments section on any article mentioning the Nationals...it's absurd)

I can't wait to make up for last year!

Ok...rant over...for now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/02/25/michael-taylor-could-be-on-the-fast-track/

Michael Taylor could be on the ‘fast track’

By the end of this season, Michael A. Taylor might be the top position player in the Nationals’ farm system. Some scouts talk about Taylor, a baby-faced 22-year-old, like he already is. They look past his offensive numbers the past two seasons at Class A Potomac. They watch him run down balls in center field, with his 6-foot-4 frame and sprinter’s speed, and they shake their heads. 

There is no better defensive center fielder that walks this earth,” one National League scout said. “Majors, minor leagues, whatever.”

The honor of top Nationals position player prospect, by consensus, still belongs to center fielder Brian Goodwin. But Taylor is rising fast. The Nationals put him on their 40-man roster this winter. His bat has improved steadily, and it will get an important test this season when he leaps to Class AA Harrisburg. His defense makes some baseball lifers talk like they have found religion. 

•  

Sounds like Christian Garcia really struggled. This is his first action in a couple years, so its to be expected i guess.

My man crush on Zach Walters continues...

I really like Walters as the utility infield guy...good bat off the bench too...

Archived