Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/12/09/nationals-show-interest-in-jeff-baker/

Nationals show interest in Jeff Baker

Still looking to add a power bat to their bench following their agreement with speedy fourth outfielder Nate McLouth, the Nationals have been in contact with free agent right-handed slugger Jeff Baker, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Baker’s strengths are his versatility and ability to pulverize left-handed pitching. Baker, 32, plays all four corner positions and, in a pinch, could also play second base. For the Texas Rangers last year, Baker hit .279/.360/.545 with 11 homers in 175 plate appearances. In his nine-year career, Baker has slugged .522 and hit .298 against left-handed pitchers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/01/25/livan-hernandez-likely-returning-to-nationals-in-a-coaching-role/

Livan Hernandez likely returning to Nationals in a coaching role

Livan Hernandez, the slop-slinging Cuban right-hander who threw the first pitch in Washington after baseball returned, is “99 percent” certain he will join the Nationals this spring training as a coach, he said today at NatsFest.

“I’m ready to ride a golf cart like Pat Corrales,” Hernandez said, referring to the former Nationals coach.

General Manager Mike Rizzo reached out to Hernandez this week over the phone to gauge his interest in working for the team in some capacity. Hernandez, who last pitched for the Nationals in 2011 and has not thrown in the majors since 2012, accepted the invitation. The sides just need to work out a deal and a position for Hernandez.

“It’s something nice,” Hernandez said. “We talk a little bit the other day on the phone. I’m very excited. Always, I want to do something in this place. I think it’s the best place, here in D.C. Just to try to do some work. I’d love to try to do that.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10354393/houston-astros-top-farm-system-rankings-mlb

Keith Law ranked our farm system #18 overall, which is an improvement from last year despite the graduation of Rendon.  Seems about right.

He's also got his top 100 out today: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10166140/byron-buxton-tops-2014-ranking-top-100-prospects-mlb

Three guys went in the top 100: Giolito, Cole and Goodwin.  

All in all, I think its about right for us so far.  I'm curious what he says about Michael Taylor when the org top ten comes out.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10354393/houston-astros-top-farm-system-rankings-mlb

Keith Law ranked our farm system #18 overall, which is an improvement from last year despite the graduation of Rendon.  Seems about right.

He's also got his top 100 out today: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10166140/byron-buxton-tops-2014-ranking-top-100-prospects-mlb

Three guys went in the top 100: Giolito, Cole and Goodwin.  

All in all, I think its about right for us so far.  I'm curious what he says about Michael Taylor when the org top ten comes out.

taylor was #10

I am intrigued by the converted SS who throws 98 though...will be keeping tabs on him as the minor league season starts

If the Washington Nationals, with their glut of starting pitching, actually added veteran A.J. Burnett, they would just be trolling their neighbors, right? Would they seriously do that to the Baltimore Orioles?

Noting that the Nationals still have money to spend and have been prone to late off-season moves in the past, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post wonders if they will take a look at signing Burnett:

As we have seen, though, value sometimes trumps need this time of year. Could the Nationals add to an already loaded rotation and make a play for A.J. Burnett? The 37-year-old decided against retirement last week and would prefer to pitch close his home in Monkton, Md. With four top-shelf starters and a host of candidates, led by Ross Detwiler, for the fifth spot, they clearly do not need Burnett.
“But, if he can be had on a one-year deal, it would not be out of character for the Nationals to at least take a chance. Burnett led the National League last year in strikeout rate and groundball rate. He would give the Nationals the best on-paper rotation in the majors, hands down, and would also create excellent depth – all those candidates for the fifth spot would be bullpen arms or waiting in reserve in case of injury.”
The Orioles, we have heard, are “all in” on Burnett, presumably with designs of slotting him into the #2 or #3 spot in their rotation. Even at age 37, that’s about where he fits with a lot of teams (3.30 ERA in 191 innings last season). For the Nationals, he would be their #5.

Seriously, that would just be mean.

Personally, I wouldn't be big on AJ. Mostly because I believe in Detwiler and feel that messing with him is not what the rotation needs. Its not like they are going to invent a 6 man rotation either for just one year.

Then again, just rumors probably started by AJ's agent to drive up the price knowing the Nats wouldn't go for him.

Nats and Clip avoid arbitration:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/02/10/tyler-clippard-nationals-avoid-arbitration/

The Nationals avoided arbitration with top set-up reliever Tyler Clippard by agreeing to a one-year contract, ensuring they will not require a contentious hearing with any of their 10 players eligible for arbitration.

With a week before his scheduled hearing, Clippard and the Nationals settled on a $5.875 million salary for 2014. When the sides filed salary figures on Jan. 17, Clippard asked for $6.35 million and the Nationals offered $4.45 million. So, Clippard’s salary will be slightly over that midpoint.

Personally, I wouldn't be big on AJ. Mostly because I believe in Detwiler and feel that messing with him is not what the rotation needs. Its not like they are going to invent a 6 man rotation either for just one year.

The idea of trolling the Orioles does amuse me though.  I don't really care for Detweiler, I have a hard time seeing someone sustain success long term with basically one pitch.  Location will only get you so far, you have to occasionally mix in a few other things.  I've always thought of him as long relief and/or trade bait.  I'd rather see Taylor Jordan get the first crack at it, or in a pinch, I can watch Ohlendorf's goofy old school windup.

The idea of trolling the Orioles does amuse me though.  I don't really care for Detweiler, I have a hard time seeing someone sustain success long term with basically one pitch.  Location will only get you so far, you have to occasionally mix in a few other things.  I've always thought of him as long relief and/or trade bait.  I'd rather see Taylor Jordan get the first crack at it, or in a pinch, I can watch Ohlendorf's goofy old school windup.

That 5th spot is actually bothering me more than Dan Haren did at this point last year. I think Detwiler gives us the best option--with Karns, Jordan and Ohlendorf waiting in the wings. I think Dorf would be a good long-relief candidate too. 

One thing I am really keen to see--and no one has talked about it much--is Solis out of the pen as a lefty...

Then again, just rumors probably started by AJ's agent to drive up the price knowing the Nats wouldn't go for him.

Burnett to the Phils for $16m/1yr deal

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10443905/aj-burnett-agrees-deal-philadelphia-phillies

Lobaton is out of minors options, there's no room for Karns in the org as a starting pitcher at the big league level. He's starter option 4 behind Detwiler, Roark, Jordan, and Ohlendorf, in that order. In other words, Karns is a AAAA reliever. Trade makes a lot of sense.

The battle for #5 is between Det and Roark, don't let the noise tell you otherwise. Ohlendorf, Jordan have minor league options remaining, even though Ohlendorf signed a major league contract.

Archived