Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

Dan Kolko (@masnKolko):Harper: "Last yr, my knee killed me.I couldn’t stay back on lefties. I was killing myself on that. It’s gonna be a little different this yr"

He took a LHP deep today. Think he takes a major step forward this year. Look out!

I'm concerned about our 1B depth.  I know Zimmerman will get looks but he's not the fill in for LaRoche when he gets his rest.  Moore has not blossomed into that offensive bench player we hoped, and he's having a terrible spring.

This isn't so much what I think the opening lineup should be, as much as how I would make it if I was the manager, mostly based on last season, along with some projecting.

CF: Span

RF: Werth

LF: Harper

3B: Zimmerman

SS: Desmond

2B: Rendon

1B: LaRoche

C: Ramos

P: Pitcher

Basically, Span's our biggest speed guy.  I'm not sure how I feel about him playing in general, he wasn't that great last season beyond the hitting streak, but he is our most prototypical leadoff guy, and can steal a base.

I'd bat Werth second.  I've always been a fan of having a guy in the two spot who sees a lot of pitches and makes a lot of contact.  Werth happened to be on fire for a lot of the time he was healthy, but that's beside the point.  Stats may completely prove me wrong, but it doesn't feel like Werth strikes out a lot, or if he does, he at least makes the pitcher work for it.  I want a guy like that in #2, the one who you can count on to make contact when you need to move a runner, get a sac fly, etc.

Keep Harper in the 3 spot.  I think he's going to take off this season, and I want him up in the 1st inning, as well as having a constant four at bats per game with a good shot at five.

Four and five are interchangeable.  I think Zimmerman has more potential power which is why I'm putting him 4th for now, but if he goes through one of his usual slumps, I'd have no problem switching him with Desmond.

I have Rendon 6th.  Kid was starting to rake at points and I think he's trending up.  LaRoche is trending down, but having him 7th still gives you a good power presence at the 7-8 spots.  And if Ramos happens to be on, I'd move him to 7th in a heartbeat and let LaRoche bat 8th.

That's just how I see it though.

Sounds like Espi is trending ahead of Rendon guys. His K #'s are way down this spring, and is spreading the ball all over the field. We know Rizzo loves Espi, sounds like Matt Williams does too.

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 4m

"Danny's got his stroke, man." - Matt Williams on Espinosa.

I would be shocked if Espi beats out Rendon, more than shocked actually.

In regards to Foreheads lineup, I like it. I would switch Zimm & Werth, thats about it. I don't think Ramos stays in 8th for long, if he stays healthy, he'll hit too well to be stuck in 8th.

Really doubt that. Hes really shortened up his stroke. Hes looked great this spring.

Im not quitting on Espi.

C'mon, you got to hand me something more than FP and Carp dogma. That's a real nice "masn" scouting report but, when he lost his pop from his rookie year into year two, he wasn't able to transition his game to being a base-hit guy.

He became a liability with the bat.

I mean even during his rookie year the talking piece was, "if a guy hits jacks, of course the batting average is going to be low." That was the excuse then.

Then for the next two years his average kept going lower and lower, while he also lost the pop.

It would seem as if his bat will always be an issue or at least a limitation.

When he does play the field, you pencil him in at the 9 hole, especially when Stras is pitching, 'cause I'd take Stras' bat over Espi's.

I don't know what he's capable of, maybe he does turn around his career with the bat, idk. I certainly didn't see Desmond become the situational and power hitter that he's turned into.

Its not just Bob and FP, all reports from camp are saying that. Beat reporters, players, coaches, even M Williams. Nice and easy swings, spreading the ball all over the field.

Espi has always been popular, I wouldn't expect any of those guys to say anything different.

Rendon would have to have a horrible first 100 AB's to start the season before I even considered a change back to Espi.  Espi seems perfect for a 5th infielder/late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner role.

If Rendon isn't the answer at 2nd, I would start looking for trade possibilities. I think the "Espi as an everyday starter" boat has sailed.

On a sidenote, Rendon having a nice day at the plate today.

If Rendon is not our answer at 2nd then I agree we need to look at someone who is, and sadly that is not Espi. I agree he has the glove but we need run production and that is not him and has not been for a long time. Fine keeping him as a back up IF and we know he can start if an injury occurred but long term he is not the guy.

I know it is spring training but I have liked how the team has been swinging the bat, and really attacking pitchers who do not have there stuff going. I always felt like we played a little conservative with Riggleman and Davey seems Matt Williams is at this point a lot more edgy and aggressive in his style.

Excitied to see what we can do over 162 and if we can get to the top of the NL East again.

Archived