Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

Adam Kilgore@AdamKilgoreWP 1m

Ladies and gentlemen, your new MASN sideline reporter is @masnKolko. Prettiest one yet, if you ask me. Congrats!

So Dan Kolko is the new sideline reporter. I guess it was time to give the women of Washington something to look at. lol

I like Kolko though, he's good at what he does.

Zimm with a throwing error.. Ugh.

Pretty sure that's why Ian Desmond, Craig Stammen, and Tyler Moore were on the team :D

No bearing on the Nats' decision, but: The the vibe among rival scouts is it's close between Roark and Jordan, but Roark has an edge.

Adam Kilgore @AdamKilgoreWP · Ross Detwiler is in on relief for the first time. "He could be dominant there," a scout said. "He could be a No. 3 on a lot of teams."

So can someone explain this... as guys are getting cut from the major league camp, some are sent to AAA Syracuse or AA Harrisburg or another specific minor league affiliate.  But then others are sent to "minor league camp."

So why do some get sent to a specific minor league team while others go to a generic "minor league camp"?  Whats that about?

Espi not going down without a fight. Glad to see he seems to be rebounding, hope he can keep it up this year.

I'm still hoping that Laroche will get benched/DFA and they'll move Zim to first base full time. I think it's far more likely that Espinosa returns to form before Laroche rebounds.

I'm still hoping that Laroche will get benched/DFA and they'll move Zim to first base full time. I think it's far more likely that Espinosa returns to form before Laroche rebounds.

On one of the games that was televised, FP said the plan may be to sit LaRoche and move Zimm to first against LHPs, as LaRoche especially struggles vs lefties. That could just be FP thinkin outloud, but we shall see.

Either way, our lineup and bench, also starting rotation and bullpen, are in much better shape this year than last.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24498038/nats-star-ss-desmond-turned-down-very-long-contract-offer-in-winter

Nats star SS Desmond turned down very long contract offer in winter

The Washington Nationals proposed a multiyear contract to star shortstop Ian Desmond, believed to be for about $90 million, that Desmond turned down sometime during the winter, sources say.

The offer was thought to be for up to seven years, which would have covered two arbitration years and five free-agent years, but was said to have been for at least six years. Two sources pegged the offer at $80 million to $90 million, at least.

Desmond's agent, Ryan Gleichowski, didn't return messages, nor did Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo.

The Nationals have done a terrific job in drafting and acquiring great young players, but they could have a logjam of contract issues they still need to address related to star young players, including also Jordan Zimmermann, then later Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg.

When Desmond opted not to sign the very long deal, he and the Nats reached agreement on a two-year, $17.5-milion deal that covered both arbitration years.

On the surface, the offer may not sound bad at all, and it isn't known why Desmond didn't sign the deal, but it's interesting to note that the Rangers' Elvis Andrus, who had similar service time at the time of his deal, received a $120-million, eight-year deal that included a player opt-out clause. Desmond has much more power and is a very good defender, though it's tough to top Andrus defensively.

Desmond knows he can get more than 90mil. He has all the leverage over the club right now as long as he stays healthy. He's a homegrown guy, team leader, we don't have any replacements in the minors, and the 2016 free agent class is pretty weak at SS/2b

The Lerner's might as well cut that check.

Desmond knows he can get more than 90mil. He has all the leverage over the club right now as long as he stays healthy. He's a homegrown guy, team leader, we don't have any replacements in the minors, and the 2016 free agent class is pretty weak at SS/2b

The Lerner's might as well cut that check.

Yes, Desmond has the hammer now. But he'll be 30 in 2016. What's his value on a long-term deal at 30?

I'm not an expert on MLB contracts, but will he be worth more than  6yrs @ $90m in 2016? Maybe a shorter deal for more per year, but he's not earning full value for 2014 & 2015 @ $17.5M total. He has $12.5m to make up for those years, so he'll need at least 4 years @ $72.5M to break even with the contract he's been offered. Can he really get more at 30 years old?

I don't know, I'd be happy with $15m/year.

IN other words, the Nats lowballed him. 7/90 puts him in Pedroia range. Pedroia is going to be 30 and took a huge hometown discount.

A 15 per year deal is more in line with what Desmond should get. Keep in mind,  no one has a higher WAR over the last two seasons than Desmond.

IN other words, the Nats lowballed him. 7/90 puts him in Pedroia range. Pedroia is going to be 30 and took a huge hometown discount.

A 15 per year deal is more in line with what Desmond should get. Keep in mind,  no one has a higher WAR over the last two seasons than Desmond.

Well of course they lowballed him. That was the offer by the Nats. If it was 7/90, that's ~$12.9m/year. Not a bad offer if he's looking for $15m/yr. I didn't read anything that said it was the max they were going to offer.

And there's no word on what Desmond was asking (at least not in that article).

Well of course they lowballed him. That was the offer by the Nats. If it was 7/90, that's ~$12.9m/year. Not a bad offer if he's looking for $15m/yr. I didn't read anything that said it was the max they were going to offer.

And there's no word on what Desmond was asking (at least not in that article).

Compare it with Tulo's contract. Desmond has out performed Tulowitzki the last two seasons. There's nothing that shows he won't do it for the next 3-5 years.

Compare it with Tulo's contract. Desmond has out performed Tulowitzki the last two seasons. There's nothing that shows he won't do it for the next 3-5 years.

I like Desmond a lot, but he has not outperformed Tulo.  If so, its only in counting stats due to injury.  

I guess you can say injury counts, but if you offered me Tulo for Desmond straight up, I would accept before my heart attack kicked in.

Yes, Desmond has the hammer now. But he'll be 30 in 2016. What's his value on a long-term deal at 30?

I'm not an expert on MLB contracts, but will he be worth more than  6yrs @ $90m in 2016? Maybe a shorter deal for more per year, but he's not earning full value for 2014 & 2015 @ $17.5M total. He has $12.5m to make up for those years, so he'll need at least 4 years @ $72.5M to break even with the contract he's been offered. Can he really get more at 30 years old?

I don't know, I'd be happy with $15m/year.

I would prefer to keep a 30yr old's contract at 5yrs or less. In Desmond's case, he will be by far the best available SS in free agency that year. Some team will probably offer him more than 5 years.

I'm not trying to argue with you. All I'm saying is: The Nats offered ~$12.9m/yr for 7 years. He signed for $17.5m/yr for 2 years. That puts him in the hole for ~$8.3m for those 2 years ($12.9 - $8.75 = $4.15 x 2). So he's forfeited that amount for less money now hoping to make it up later.

The 7/$90 seemed like a fair offer to me. I wonder what he is asking? That seems to be the unknown: What is he looking to get paid?

Archived