Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions: How attractive is the Redskins job?

Larry

Think again. Allen himself was asked about this during his press conference:

On how much Snyder’s involvement has changed in recent years:

“... Has he taken a step back? He’s still one of the great fans. I think – and I’ve seen some of the reports, if you knew how much Dan Snyder wants to win – I mean, he wants to win more than life itself – and he has given us the support and the resources to do what we think is necessary to help us win. It showed a year ago and this year it didn’t, but it’s our job to do the execution. It’s not Dan calling the plays. It’s not Dan picking the players. It’s the people he’s hired, it’s our job to actually turn this team into a winner.

That's called a non-denial denial. Yes, Snyder is all over the decisions, including player selection and who gets to play. Shannahan benching RGIII was probably the deciding factor in RGIII jock-sniffing Snyder's firing of Shannahan. Just my opinion.

Consider that RGIII said weeks ago that he would be "playing for a different coach next year"

How could he know that?

Um 70% of the fan base knew it as well

The cupboard is far from bare here - this IS a situation that a coach could come in and win and win soon!

If you step away from the hideous mess that was the 2013 Redskins season - and I know that's hard - we have a lot of the things in place you need to win. Lets not forget we are only one year away from being Division champions ....

As per the OP we have a young QB who has unreal physical ability and the potential to be a championship calibre franchise QB - there are not many of those around. We have a stud LT, excellent receiver entering his prime, a young pro bowl calibre running back and a TE coming out of his rookie year who has shown MASSIVE potential.

Get bigger and better on the OLine (at least two new starter needed possibly 3). Switch up the running scheme to more of a power scheme. Spend the next 8 months working with RGIII to develop his pocket game and pray he gets back the full explosion in his leg!

Defense is a bigger deal. I don't think its a question of 3-4 or 4-3, its a question of better talent being needed - D"line needs at least one interior player who is a difference maker (if we stick with the 3-4 a true stud NT would make a huge difference). Resign Orakpo and add a FS and a number 1 CB plus find another linebacker (ILB if we stick with the 3-4). 

Special teams needs gutting - I'd keep Forbaith and start fresh from there.

So we need say 6 quality starters. Thats not easy, especially with no first round pick but its not impossible and we have some cap space. 

If I was a candidate just the prospect of developing RGIII and having someone who could be really really special would be the kind of challenge and opportunity you would dream of as an offensive minded coach.

Not attractive at all.

The front office and philosophy are still the same.

There is no evidence at all the 8th head coach will any more successful than the previous 7.

Snyder has final say on draft picks, trades and free agent signings.  Allen is the capologist like Cerrato, whose job is to stuff as many of Snyder's fantasy picks under the cap as possible.

Snyder will spend the extra 18M in cap space on 1 superstar marketing gimmick free agent.  Probably another WR for his boy to throw to. 

The secret is out.

Everyone knows this franchise is dysfunctional and the owner is a meddling tool.,  No coach or player with any self-respect or pride would come here.

How many good coaches have ruined their career and reputation coaching for Snyder?

For a young and hungry coach who wants to prove something, this would be the last place he would go.

The re-tread superstar marketing gimmick coach like Cowher or Gruden is a possibility.  Snyder will need to go 10 mill per season to land someone like this.  A coach like Cowher and Gruden will know ahead of time they will crash and burn and will be in it only for the money.

But what if they were Samurai?

Samurai are all sworn to their current masters.

We need to hire Ronin.

5401084_15462074_lz.jpg

Consider that RGIII said weeks ago that he would be "playing for a different coach next year".

How could he know that?

Some idiot told him what the Redskins W-L record was? :)

The cupboard is far from bare here - this IS a situation that a coach could come in and win and win soon!

If you step away from the hideous mess that was the 2013 Redskins season - and I know that's hard - we have a lot of the things in place you need to win. Lets not forget we are only one year away from being Division champions ....

If I was a candidate just the prospect of developing RGIII and having someone who could be really really special would be the kind of challenge and opportunity you would dream of as an offensive minded coach.

RG3 makes the Skins the most attractive, and Dan's open checkbook is a plus, not a negative.

RG3 makes the Skins HC job one of the most attractive in the NFL period, with only Green Bay, Seattle, and Indianapolis really comparable from a young QB perspective.

And anyone would want to coach for Snyder because they know he'll give them anything they ask for and all they have to do is win.

But every NFL HC job is precious and super attractive. And every candidate is going to have idiosyncrasies and personal reasons for his preferences. For example, one guy might see the Cleveland job as the best fit when nobody else would because maybe his kid is going to Ohio State or he has family in the region.

I'm surprised so many people think Detroit is the most desirable spot.

Mayhew is a good GM, but if I were a coach, I would much, much, much rather work for Dan Snyder than the Ford family. It's not even a contest.

Plus Detroit itself is a **** hole.

Matt Stafford, Calvin Johnson, and a loaded up defensive front makes the Detroit job somewhat desirable. But it's not a hell of a lot more desirable than the one in Cleveland or Tampa because of the location and ownership.

Think again. Allen himself was asked about this during his press conference:

On how much Snyder’s involvement has changed in recent years:

“... Has he taken a step back? He’s still one of the great fans. I think – and I’ve seen some of the reports, if you knew how much Dan Snyder wants to win – I mean, he wants to win more than life itself – and he has given us the support and the resources to do what we think is necessary to help us win. It showed a year ago and this year it didn’t, but it’s our job to do the execution. It’s not Dan calling the plays. It’s not Dan picking the players. It’s the people he’s hired, it’s our job to actually turn this team into a winner.

That's called a non-denial denial. Yes, Snyder is all over the decisions, including player selection and who gets to play. Shannahan benching RGIII was probably the deciding factor in RGIII jock-sniffing Snyder's firing of Shannahan. Just my opinion.

That sounds like a denial denial to me. Shanny had a no meddle clause in his contract. If Snyder was pulling strings it would have come out before the implosion this year. You only started to hear Snyder stories after it was clear that the seaon was over and Shanny needed to cover his ass. It is revisionist history to say he was involved all along. If he was, with the way the local media hates him, don't you think those stories would have come out?

As far as the benching having anything to do with the firing goes. Do you really think that was the deciding factor? Not the 24-40 record? Or the 8 game losing streak? Or the worst record in 20 years? Has there ever been an NFL coach who wasn't fired after a 3-13 seaon in year 4? Isn't 24-40 the worst record of any coach in the history of the franchise?

How many good coaches have ruined their career and reputation coaching for Snyder?

Good question lets see.

Norv: Went on to coach two other teams and displayed the same lack of leadership and ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory that he did here. I'd argue the fact that he was fired by Snyder allowed him to get those other jobs. People looked at him as a guy that was wrongly fired by the meddeling Snyder versus the reality of a bafoon coach who should have been fired 2-3 years earlier. No impact on reputation or carrer.

Marty: Went on to have a good run in San Diego. No impact on reputation or carrer.

Spurrier: He quit on Snyder. He has gone on to have a good run at South Carolina and is considered a good college coach. No impact on reputation or carrer.

Gibbs: He walked away. I would argue that getting that team to 2 playoff appearances in 4 years might be the most impressive accomplishment of his career. Especially considering what the team was like when he got it and what happened after he left. No impact on reputation or carrer.

Zorn: He never should have been hired and had no reputation to ruin. He has gone back to what he should be, a QB coach. No impact on reputation or carrer.

Shanny: You can argue that Shanny's reputation and career may be ruined. But is that Snyder's fault? Snyder didn't get up to the podium last year at 3-6 and give up on the season. Listen to some of the media talk about Shanny, especially a guy like Glazer. He does not seem to be blaming Snyder for Shanny's reputational demise.

So to answer your question. Maybe one. The truth is, with Snyder's reputation, any coach that comes here and fails will get a pass.

This is a boom or bust type of job. If you come in and things go right, you're a king. You'll make good money, you're in a prime market, a organization that doesn't mind spending money, and you have a franchise QB with top 8 in the league potential. You're flying high. But if things start to go badly, it'll go REAL bad. A meddling owner who has no issue eating money to get rid of you, a fan base that can turn rabid against you QUICKLY, a media market that is hell and lives to destroy, and a potential franchise QB whose a knee injury away from uncharted territory of 3 ACL surgeries on a QB.

Looking at the jobs open...

1. Detroit.  You have a franchise QB, the best WR in the league in the middle of his prime, a dynamic joker RB, and a beastily D-Line. There's a lot to work with here. The fact Schawrtz lasted so long with so little pedigree probably indicates you won't be ousted in a year if things get off to a rocky start. The downside here is you're in a division with the Packers and a potentially dangerous Chicago team.

2. Houston.  You don't have a franchise QB, but you do have the #1 pick in the draft to go get your guy. You have a star RB and WR, but both have some question marks in terms of longevity. You've got some very good pieces on defense, including a monster in Watt. Again, you have an owner that seems like he'll let you have a decent leash with how long Kubiak lasted there.

3. Redskins. On offense you're looking pretty good, but again as I said boom or bust. A star caliber RB, WR, LT, and QB all that are rather young. You have all the cornerstones on offense that you could want, along with some extra bonuses like our TE and FB. Defense is the big question mark. The only returning star quality guy is Kerrigan. You're going to have to build things up here. There's question marks, as I suggested earlier, in terms of the market, history, and owner. But these are all things that could be positives OR negatives, depending on the way a potential candidate wants to view them.

4. Tampa - Maybe you have the QB in Glennon, but if not you're still having a decently high pick. A good RB coming back from injury with Martin, a stud WR1, a pretty good interior part of the O-Line, and a pretty talented defense.

5. Browns - Best young WR in the game potentially, a franchise left tackle, and a decent defense with a stud corner along with two first round picks. Downside...it's the browns

6. Vikings. Pros - Adrian Peterson. Cons - Adrian Peterson's 28

I've yet to meet a self-made multi, multi-millionaire who wasn't unreasonable and a control freak. Doesn't mean to say you can't work with them and get results.

1st question: How many multi-millionaires have you actually met, self-made or otherwise?

2nd: Can I be your caddy?

3rd: After 15 years of real-world data to analyze, do you really feel your second sentence is true, particularly in reference to Snyder?

The Redskins job is a great job for an enthusiastic coach who knows how to motivate players to play at a very high level.  Not someone who is purely systematic.  Someone who excites players.  I like Pete Carrol.  I like the Harbaugh brothers.  I know some don't but I love that they promote SWAGGER with players.  Players who believe they can make the difference,  You know stuff looks good on paper, but if it does not work out who is going to be the guy? And you have to have all your guys believing they are that one.    Robert did that for this team in 2012. 

And you can say what you want about Belichick but from the top down that organization is HIGHLY functional.  That is what you need.  Belicheck has every guy in that locker room believing they can be the guy.  Who could have believed the Patriot's after losing Hernandez, Gronk (twice), Welker to Denver, and Woodhead were going to have any weapons?  We talk about not having top notch receivers but look at the guy who has 100 catches this year from Brady?  Do you know who the guy is?  It is Julian Edelman.  Who the hell is that?  Right.  And that is what good coaches do and can do in a functional organization from the top on down.  Get no names to perform.  Every year the Patriots find a way to get into the playoffs.  

We need a guy who can get the best out of all our players.  Have all our guys believing in themselves and playing at a very high level every single week on the field. 

This is a boom or bust type of job. If you come in and things go right, you're a king. You'll make good money, you're in a prime market, a organization that doesn't mind spending money, and you have a franchise QB with top 8 in the league potential. You're flying high. But if things start to go badly, it'll go REAL bad. A meddling owner who has no issue eating money to get rid of you, a fan base that can turn rabid against you QUICKLY, a media market that is hell and lives to destroy, and a potential franchise QB whose a knee injury away from uncharted territory of 3 ACL surgeries on a QB.

Looking at the jobs open...

1. Detroit.  You have a franchise QB, the best WR in the league in the middle of his prime, a dynamic joker RB, and a beastily D-Line. There's a lot to work with here. The fact Schawrtz lasted so long with so little pedigree probably indicates you won't be ousted in a year if things get off to a rocky start. The downside here is you're in a division with the Packers and a potentially dangerous Chicago team.

2. Houston.  You don't have a franchise QB, but you do have the #1 pick in the draft to go get your guy. You have a star RB and WR, but both have some question marks in terms of longevity. You've got some very good pieces on defense, including a monster in Watt. Again, you have an owner that seems like he'll let you have a decent leash with how long Kubiak lasted there.

3. Redskins. On offense you're looking pretty good, but again as I said boom or bust. A star caliber RB, WR, LT, and QB all that are rather young. You have all the cornerstones on offense that you could want, along with some extra bonuses like our TE and FB. Defense is the big question mark. The only returning star quality guy is Kerrigan. You're going to have to build things up here. There's question marks, as I suggested earlier, in terms of the market, history, and owner. But these are all things that could be positives OR negatives, depending on the way a potential candidate wants to view them.

4. Tampa - Maybe you have the QB in Glennon, but if not you're still having a decently high pick. A good RB coming back from injury with Martin, a stud WR1, a pretty good interior part of the O-Line, and a pretty talented defense.

5. Browns - Best young WR in the game potentially, a franchise left tackle, and a decent defense with a stud corner along with two first round picks. Downside...it's the browns

6. Vikings. Pros - Adrian Peterson. Cons - Adrian Peterson's 28

I agreee with your assessment but I would switch the Browns and Vikings and add this:

#5.  Vikings-  One negative is that you have to play in a college stadium for 2 years while the new stadium is being buiilt on the grounds of where the current metrodome stands.  You probably have 2 years to have things going in the right direction or else

in 2016 a new coach can be hired to go along with a new stadium.

#6.  Browns-  The team just had a one and done coach, are you sure you can last beyond a year?   The owner is still being investigated by the FBI. There's still a chance Haslam could end up in jail.

Houston stuck with Kubiak for a long time.  They could never get past Manning and the Colts in the division.  Manning gets hurt and there's the window for the Texans while the Colts start new.  The Texans didn't take advantage and now the Colts are right back at the top.  I don't blame them for moving on from Kubiak.  The fact that they stuck with Kubiak for as long as they did shows they're not knee-jerk. 

That team also runs itself the way some of the Redskins fans want this team to be run.

They hired Kubiak - in part - because he was a Houston guy.

They hired Wade Phillips when they he was available and they had an opening - in part - because his dad was Bum Phillips, who was a football god.

The owner spent money and mostly stayed out of his front office's way.

They were incredibly patient with Kubiak. And I'm guessing that the firing was handled about as well as an in-season firing can be handled.

It had gotten fairly ugly down here with the fanbase, which is unusual. This town has remarkable patience for the Texans, considering it is football and this is Texas. Most of the vitriol over the years has been spewed at Mack Brown while Kubiak could seemingly go 8-8 forever. It turned this year in a big way. The fans were cheering when Schaub got hurt.

If O'Brien shows any competence and progress, he'll see the end of his contract here and be given a lot of room to operate.

Houston - very talented roster, owner willing to be patient,need a QB but have the #1 overall pick

I think everyone is misjudging the talent in Houston.

Schaub is probably done as a productive NFL QB. Foster is likely done as an RB. Too many carries. Chronic hamstring problems. Back surgery. Andre Johnson will be 33 when training camp starts. And those three guys take up a ton of cap space. They probably can't re-sign Ben Tate because of the money those guys are owed. Owen Daniels will be 32 next year.

Watt is a monster, of course. 

But Cushing has a monster contract and can't get through a season without blowing out his knee. Two seasons in a row with season-ending knee injuries is a bad trend.

This team is probably not as bad as their record, but it's still pretty far away from being good. It's top heavy with expensive vets, because the team saw a small window to make a Super Bowl run and went for it. And missed it.

Still, it's a good job because of its ownership and the #1 pick. O'Brien will be given a lot of time to develop the QB he wants, and his tenure will largely be judged on how well he succeeds in that.

I would like to see an honest coach that wil build the team with talent and depth. Avoid cap problems of our past. A coach that tells the fans we are 2-3 years away from being a good football team. Anything else is just a lie and will perpetuate the ongoing problems here. Last year was a fluke. Under promise and I'd be happy.

I would like to see an honest coach that wil build the team with talent and depth. Avoid cap problems of our past. A coach that tells the fans we are 2-3 years away from being a good football team. Anything else is just a lie and will perpetuate the ongoing problems here. Last year was a fluke. Under promise and I'd be happy.

Allen made it clear he wanted someone with a sense of urgency. 2-3 years when one has their LT, RB, QB1, QB2, WR and TE in place seems like a lack of urgency. With the state of he NFC East and 40 million in cap space, which he have never had in the free agency era, this team should be competing next season.

Allen made it clear he wanted someone with a sense of urgency. 2-3 years when one has their LT, RB, QB1, QB2, WR and TE in place seems like a lack of urgency. With the state of he NFC East and 40 million in cap space, which he have never had in the free agency era, this team should be competing next season.

I agree with this as long as we aren't going back to the days of putting ourselves in cap hell and bringing in guys on the downhill side of their career who cost a fortune. I have no problem being patient and letting a new staff build properly so we end up with a team that's competing in the playoffs for several years.

New coach: Hi RGIII, it's nice to meet you.

RGIII: Hi coach, good to meet you. BTW, this is my team and we do things my way around here. If you have a problem with that or I don't like you, I'll have Snyder fire you like I did Shannahan. Got it?

I don't think coach worth a darn will want to come here under those circumstances.

We're looking at a yes man, loser who will kiss RGIII's ass.

Thats a bunch of crap. Shanahan got himself fired.

It's not an attractive job for experienced coaches. Snyder has made sure of that. We will only be able to attract coordinators and unprovens. Could be a good thing.

Maybe in the past, but this time, it falls on the head of Shanahan. He had complete control of the team. He made the decisions and built the roster. Can't blame Synder on this one.

It seems too me that most fans were praising Shanahan back in April. "We drafted Rambo"! Now look! This is all on Shanahan. He drafted bums like Rambo, who didn't do anything. And Rambo has a chance of not even making the team next year. Pathetic!

Archived