Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions: How attractive is the Redskins job?

Larry

OK, so the offseason has begun.  The Redskins are now in a competition.  (Hopefully they compete better than they have been.) 

You're an NFL head coach candidate.  And there are 3 (so far) "Help Wanted" listings in your paper, today. 

All 3 teams looking for coaches, suck.  That's why they're looking for new coaches.  And, obviously, you, as the candidate, don;t necessarily get to pick which, if any, will make you an offer. 

If you're a potential NFL head coach, how attractive do the Redskins look? 

(And, by that,I mean, for example, the players that they have left, (and similar things, like draft picks), for next year.  Not necessarily how you rate how they did in the previous coach's last year. 

The Skins have RG3, AlMo, and Cousins,  They have Trent.  Garcon. 

They might have Orakpo, Kerrigan, and D Hall.  But some of those, they might not have.  As the new HC, you might have a say on that matter. 

They don't exactly have a Full House, here.  But, they do have some cards in their hand.  And, some of those cards are kinda wild cards.  A lot of cap room means that, when you look at the Skins hand, some of the cards in their hand, aren't there, yet. 

Does the Redskins job, as a whole, as it stands now, look like an attractive opportunity, to you? 

----------

Me, I look at this team, and I at least see some opportunity, for somebody who thinks he's a pretty good football coach. 

I think they've got at least some players that are pretty good.  Not a whole team, but the cupboard's not exactly bare, either. 

They don't have a first round draft pick.  But I think they've got all the rest, and all of next year's. 

They're about to have a lot of salary cap room, and an owner who's known for being willing to spend it.  (On the other hand, that same owner might also appear under the "minuses" column, too.) 

I would assume that, if I were a ****y, confident, guy who thiinks he knows a lot about how a football team ought to be run, (and I don't see anybody being in the running who doesn't fit those descriptions.), then I think the Redskins might well look like a heck of an opportunity. 

Not very attractive at all. You just have to look at how each of the previous regime ended (all ended pretty badly with leaks proving organization is dysfunctional [exception is Gibbs II]). Yes, there's money to be spent, but the good teams don't become consistently successful throughout FA. Outside of a few starters, the team is pretty bare. On the O, you have Griffin, Morris, Garcon, and Williams. There's way too many holes. (I can't count Reed since he only played in like 8 games and missed 6 due to concussion. He may end up having a very short career if he gets another one). On D, you have Cofield, Kerrigan, Amerson on contract. Again, too many holes. 

Only way I would want to come here is if a definite structure is set from top to bottom with accountability and more money compared to other organization. 

Consider the Teams with vacancies.

Cleveland Browns: IN division with Pittsburgh (Down this year, but have been a monster in recent history) Baltimore (last years SB winner), and Cincy (Playoff team this year)
Minnesota Vikings: GB (Division winner), Detroit (Close, but didn't make the Playoffs).  Chicago (Much Improved, could have been in Playoffs if not for injuries maybe?)
Houston Texans: Colts (Andrew Luck), Tennessee (Still down), Jaguars (Easy pickings),

Call me crazy, but I'd call the Houston Job the better one from a Division standpoint.  As far as pieces in Place, Minnesota and Cleveland may have weaker personnel then us and Texans.

The potential for success is there, but honestly I think it is far outweighed by the potential for disaster. 

- A potential franchise QB, or a guy 1 injury away from retirement that you will be blamed for.

- An owner willing to spend money on what you want, or an impatient ego maniac that will become impossible to work with.

- A solid fan base that supports their team, or impatient fans that will be calling for your head faster than the ego maniacal owner.

With the right people in place, things could go amazingly well, or end in complete disappointment.  As a Redskin fan, I'm used to the or..

1. It's an NFL coaching job that does not involve Oakland or Jacksonville. So, it's one of the 30 best jobs in football.

2. You already - more or less - have the #1 issue facing new head coaches solved in that you know who your QB is going to be.

3. There is cap money and an owner willing to spend it. Which is nice.

Granted, there's a lot of BS here too. But it's a pretty darn good opportunity.

If I had my pick of available NFL jobs, I would take the Houston job first. Good owner. #1 overall pick. (I wouldn't have to change school districts, which is nice). The Skins job would be #2, I think. The Browns job is kind of interesting, but that owner may be going to prison. I don't want to work for an owner in prison.

I would want no part of the Tampa job. Snyder can be a fool, but the Glazers are dangerous fools.

Funny how people believe Snyder is the worst owner and is the reason why coaches refuse to come here. Currently, Redskins are more attractive than Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota from a ownership standpoint. Right now, I'd rather work for Snyder than those owners.

New coach: Hi RGIII, it's nice to meet you.

RGIII: Hi coach, good to meet you. BTW, this is my team and we do things my way around here. If you have a problem with that or I don't like you, I'll have Snyder fire you like I did Shannahan. Got it?

I don't think coach worth a darn will want to come here under those circumstances.

We're looking at a yes man, loser who will kiss RGIII's ass.

Not very attractive at all. You just have to look at how each of the previous regime ended

So, people in general, especially NFL people, don't like challenges ..?? Trust me, I would not be surprised if that is a reason why we are attractive. People want to come here and do what never has been done. 

Funny how people believe Snyder is the worst owner and is the reason why coaches refuse to come here. Currently, Redskins are more attractive than Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota from a ownership standpoint. Right now, I'd rather work for Snyder than those owners.

Then Houston? why he give Kubiak alot of rope did not interfere. There  is no owner in the NFL that is worse then snyder. Are some as bad YES! But to say the skins ownership standpoint grades them over anyone is crazy. IF memory serves me right Kubiak got 8 years. Remind me how many coaches the skins ownership has had?

New coach: Hi RGIII, it's nice to meet you.

RGIII: Hi coach, god to meet you. BTW, this is my team and we do things my way around here. If you have a problem with that or I don't like you, I'll have Snyder fire you like I did Shannahan. Got it?

I don't think coach worth a darn will want to come here under those circumstances.

We're looking at a yes man, loser who will kiss RGIII's ass.

This.  The coach will have to deal with his star player running to the owner and his dad every time something doesn't go his way.

The only reason to come here is for the money.  Any respectable coach will want a long term deal for a ton of money.

It all depends on what power the Coach will be allowed to have.  We can't continue to breed an atmosphere of preferential player treatment.  If the new coach is allowed to come in and have complete control of who plays and who does not play without any interference from the owner, then this is a great opportunity.  The coach needs to put together the best 11 on each side of the ball, not based on who gets paid the most or who is marketed the most.

I can't see how working for Snyder (under the right circumstances is) is a bad thing.  Snyder will spend ANY amounts of money to bring in the best players.  What we need is a GM who is great at finding great players or at least great at putting together a top notch player scouting department.  I believe we have a good GM already here, we have both Morocco Brown and Bruce Allen, either one is great.  What Snyder HAS to do is stay away from the players!!!!!  It undermines the Coach's power base and takes away from the locker room. 

To answer the question, I believe this is a very attractive job!  Not to mention, it will pay A LOT of money.

I'm not sure. Danny is definitely something that will turn away most coaches. But, you know Snyder will spend money, so there's that.

This team has a nice core with RG3, Morris, Williams, Garcon, Kerrigan and Amerson. Defense needs alot of work, but that's what the $30M in cap space will be for. Offense has some good pieces, just needs a better OL.

I don't belive this team is too far off from being competitive again next season.

Then Houston? why he give Kubiak alot of rope did not interfere. There  is no owner in the NFL that is worse then snyder. Are some as bad YES! But to say the skins ownership standpoint grades them over anyone is crazy. IF memory serves me right Kubiak got 8 years. Remind me how many coaches the skins ownership has had?

So you would rather work for Jerry Jones? Or the Detroit/Oakland ownership who fires a coaches for a 8-8 record? Or Cleveland who fires a coach after one season? Or Chicago where you get fired for a 10-6 record?

Kubiak had one bad season and get's canned for it. Our firing made 100x more sense than the firing in Houston. Kubiak has done more for Houston than most people believe. It was a emotional decision IMO.

If it was 2001 young Snyder, I would agree with you. But it's 2013.

Archived