Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions: How attractive is the Redskins job?

Larry

We all can take Houston off our board.  That is where Shanny is gonna land and we all know it.  In fact, it's hardly a stretch to assert that he was attempting to get fired in an effort to free himself up to take the Houston job.  And good luck with all that!

And guess who the Redskins play next year, on the road...

Im glad im not the only one looking at the positives for a new coach. The biggest downside is the perceived rep of snyder. Something literally none of us know the truth about. If we believe what we have heard then it is completely overblown how much involvement Dan has and by involvement I mean a thanksgiving dinner with his QB (such terrible things for our owner to do :rolleyes: )

I forgot one other positive.  One year removed from being a winning, playoff team.  So, the cupboard can't be bare.

I do think it is funny to see how a post of if this is an attractive HC vacancy turns into a debate about RGIII.

We need a STRONG coach who will keep that from happening.  We do not need a yes man (aka Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett, any coach hired by Jerrah), we need someone who is allowed to make it clear that players report directly to him BEFORE even allowed in the SAME hallway as the owner!! 

I agree Rskins06, but the truth is otherwise, it's ALL about RGIII.

Coincidentally, I was just reading an article on the WashPo:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Once again Redskins owner Daniel Snyder will be seeking a head coach — the eighth since he purchased the team in 1999. Mike Shanahan’s successor will face many challenges — including a roster that must be overhauled — but quarterback Robert Griffin III will be his most important project.

Benched for the final three games, Griffin must improve as a pocket passer. After butting heads with Shanahan and his play-caller son, Kyle, Griffin has to learn to trust coaches again. The 2012 NFL offensive rookie of the year, whose confidence was shaken in the Redskins’ drama-filled workplace, needs a boss who believes in him.

Griffin’s importance to the franchise provides a clear blueprint for Snyder to fill the upcoming coaching vacancy: Promote General Manager Bruce Allen to team president, hire a true general manager with a strong player-personnel background and task him to pick a coach who would put Griffin’s development foremost on his to-do list.

We're getting a yes man who'll cuddle RGIII and see that his every desire is fulfilled, and that's not a winning recipe.

I don't think Snyder has ruined any reputations.  Gibbs came in a tried to turn it around and had it not been for the Sean Taylor trajedy (I believe this is what ultimately led Gibbs to leave) I think we are talking about a different team now. Every coach was given exactly what they asked for, it anything, the Coaches themselves ruined there OWN sense of reputation.

I disagree on Gibbs leaving due to the Sean Taylor trajedy.  Gibbs came back to turn things around for Dan, but I never thought he would be here 5 years or more.  His heart was with his NASCAR team.  Infact I think he was planning to walk away after '06 if that season hadn't been as disappointing as it was.  There was a lot of pressure on the Skins contending that year and I think if they'd made the playoffs he would of flipped the keys to Dan and said it's fixed and you have your QB of the future now with JC. 

I was talking about this back in November, LOL.

I still think the Redskins will be an attractive opening.

Our current competition:  Houston, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Minnesota.

I say the Skins will have legit competition from  Houston and Detroit.  You can win right away in Detroit.  

If Dallas, Oakland or Tennessee fire their coaches; I think only Dallas would be legit competition for us. 

I disagree on Gibbs leaving due to the Sean Taylor trajedy.  Gibbs came back to turn things around for Dan, but I never thought he would be here 5 years or more.  His heart was with his NASCAR team.  Infact I think he was planning to walk away after '06 if that season hadn't been as disappointing as it was.  There was a lot of pressure on the Skins contending that year and I think if they'd made the playoffs he would of flipped the keys to Dan and said it's fixed and you have your QB of the future now with JC. 

Think back, the year Sean was killed, Gibbs found out about his Grandson being sick, the combination of both led him to walk away from HC.  There is no way Gibbs would have just walked away because of NASCAR, he had his son heading up his NASCAR team while he was Coaching. 

I don't think Snyder has ruined any reputations.  Gibbs came in a tried to turn it around and had it not been for the Sean Taylor trajedy (I believe this is what ultimately led Gibbs to leave) I think we are talking about a different team now. Every coach was given exactly what they asked for, it anything, the Coaches themselves ruined there OWN sense of reputation.

Thank you! 

Snyder gave every coach exactly what they asked for, plus they had the benefit of being paid extremely well, AND they had an owner who would go out and get players they wanted. How in the world did Snyder ruin their rep? 

Snyder is not perfect, he's made a lot of mistakes...but the guy wants to win and he has proven time and time again that he is willing to do what it takes. He really hasn't interfered at all since pre- Gibbs, even then..what has he really done aside from firing coaches a little too early? He tried to buy players but, you're being silly if you think that coaches didn't want him to do that. 

Rumor is, he's close to RG3, same rumor with Portis..but he was released under Shanny. So what? Rg3 got benched, Snyder didn't budge. Shannys fate was sealed before that. It was probably sealed last year when Shanny gave up on the season early on, bu RG3 helped save his job by setting the league on fire and winning the division. 

Some of you guys are just doom and gloom. We don't "Know" things will be better now...we just "hope" they will because that's what we, as fans, do. 

I agree Rskins06, but the truth is otherwise, it's ALL about RGIII.

Coincidentally, I was just reading an article on the WashPo:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Once again Redskins owner Daniel Snyder will be seeking a head coach — the eighth since he purchased the team in 1999. Mike Shanahan’s successor will face many challenges — including a roster that must be overhauled — but quarterback Robert Griffin III will be his most important project.

Benched for the final three games, Griffin must improve as a pocket passer. After butting heads with Shanahan and his play-caller son, Kyle, Griffin has to learn to trust coaches again. The 2012 NFL offensive rookie of the year, whose confidence was shaken in the Redskins’ drama-filled workplace, needs a boss who believes in him.

Griffin’s importance to the franchise provides a clear blueprint for Snyder to fill the upcoming coaching vacancy: Promote General Manager Bruce Allen to team president, hire a true general manager with a strong player-personnel background and task him to pick a coach who would put Griffin’s development foremost on his to-do list.

We're getting a yes man who'll cuddle RGIII and see that his every desire is fulfilled, and that's not a winning recipe.

I would completely agree if RGIII has ANY involvement in the hire of the next HC, this team is in trouble for years to come.  I do believe RGIII is talented and shows great potential, HOWEVER, I don't think he has EARNED the right to have ANY involvement in the next HC.  RGIII needs to focus on becoming a better QB, not an internship on being the GM of an NFL franchise.  BLUF:  we need a coach who will ensure RGIII knows his place (while also understanding the importance of RGIII to the franchise) and maybe show him how Tom Brady does it (you never see or hear about Tom Brady jumping over his HC).

Snyder is not perfect, he's made a lot of mistakes...but the guy wants to win and he has proven time and time again that he is willing to do what it takes. He really hasn't interfered at all since pre- Gibbs, even then..what has he really done aside from firing coaches a little too early? He tried to buy players

Some of you guys are just doom and gloom. We don't "Know" things will be better now...we just "hope" they will because that's what we, as fans, do. 

Everybody wants to win, saddly he constantly screwed up when he tried. He managed to kept our hopes very high every time, with big name coaches and free agents, just to constantly dumping them. I do understand some fans losing hope, because so far there is no real sign he changed. Right now I'm wondering who really wants to coach for him ? I don't want a Zorn 2 experiment. Time will tell.

Consider the Teams with vacancies.

Cleveland Browns: IN division with Pittsburgh (Down this year, but have been a monster in recent history) Baltimore (last years SB winner), and Cincy (Playoff team this year)

Minnesota Vikings: GB (Division winner), Detroit (Close, but didn't make the Playoffs).  Chicago (Much Improved, could have been in Playoffs if not for injuries maybe?)

Houston Texans: Colts (Andrew Luck), Tennessee (Still down), Jaguars (Easy pickings),

Call me crazy, but I'd call the Houston Job the better one from a Division standpoint.  As far as pieces in Place, Minnesota and Cleveland may have weaker personnel then us and Texans.

Hopefully Shanahan will secure the Houston job before anyone  ;)

Rank'em ... 

Skins

Detroit

Houston

Bucs

Vikes

Browns

1. Lions Roster in place with prime years for all players. 

2. Redskins Essentially a blank sheet with a few key players QB LT TE RB WR Pass Rushers. Lots of money to spend

3. Browns 2 first rounders this year with some good talent around. Best LT in football. Good defense.

4. Houston #1 pick but most talent is getting old quick. How much of the defense is because of Wade

5. Vikes and Bucs. Bleh. I wouldnt want to go to either of those teams.

This completely depends on how much you like the players in place, especially the QB and how closely upper management is tied to them.

If you don't like RGIII or Stafford if management is heavily tied to them, then those aren't good jobs.  From what I've seen, it seems to me that Stafford is good enough to get me to 10 wins, but not much further.  If the management is heavily tied to him, I don't like that job at all.

I think the Bucs is at least interesting because they haven't been good for a while, and they might be willing to give me a year or two of not being very good to clean the mess out and start building up.

I'd say the samething with Browns, but they just fired their coach who appeared (with management) to be going in that direction.

I wouldn't take that job unless there was some clear reason why they just fired their coach, but wouldn't fire me if I was 4-12 next year.

Houston might be another position that might be okay.  Are they tied to that older talent and want to try and just cover some patches or are they willing to let you go completely backwards and build it up fresh.

Archived