Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions: How attractive is the Redskins job?

Larry

New coach: Hi RGIII, it's nice to meet you.

RGIII: Hi coach, good to meet you. BTW, this is my team and we do things my way around here. If you have a problem with that or I don't like you, I'll have Snyder fire you like I did Shannahan. Got it?

I don't think coach worth a darn will want to come here under those circumstances.

We're looking at a yes man, loser who will kiss RGIII's ass.

If this is the case then it's the worst job in the NFL.

If it's not the case then $40M in cap room and a lot of good pieces means that it could be the most attractive of all of them.

(Except possibly Detroit)

It honestly depends which one of those scenarios is true.

Detroit - this team might just be the right coaching staff away from being a contender.

Houston - very talented roster, owner willing to be patient,need a QB but have the #1 overall pick

Washington - talent in key areas but a impatient owner playing favorites with players and a potential head case at QB (that's how RG3 is seen outside of DC)

Minny - no QB and aging roster but some talent.

Tampa - bad ownership not a good roster

Cleveland - factory of sadness.

You tell us.  How many "reputations has Snyder ruined?".

It's funny.  SPurrier quit, Snyder was actually going to work with him to try to improve.  Spurrier just didn't want to work.  Hell, he even got guys he wanted.  Gibbs just was getting old and his grandson being sick and Sean being killed is one reason we probably didn't go back to playoffs in 08 and 09. Gibbs rep may actually have been partially enhanced.

Shanahan ruined his rep ALL ON HIS OWN. Did no one notice that Shanahan was FIRED by Denver, the team he won two SBs with? LOL  Hello, he brought Slowik with him.

If anything Norv Turner was seen as a victim by many outside DC fandom until he crashed and choked in Oak and SD.  

Again, what reputations has he ruined.

Obviously it's going to be up to the actual coach and depending on what they want and experience they have (i.e. established HC, coordinator at the NFL level, college with no NFL experience).  If the coach is one that wants to win now, have an immediate impact in his first season or by season 2, then I would say Detroit or Houston would be the most attractive and easiest of the ones available to turn around.

Detroit has been inconsistent, but they were 10-6 (playoff year) in 2011, 4-12 last year and 7-9 this season.  But they have a lot to build around.  Defense is solid, few holes to plug.  If Stafford controls the INTs, probably would have been a playoff team this year.  Best WR in the game.  

Houston would have been probably the most attractive until the collapse on offense, defense and their QB.  They went 10-6 in 2011, 12-4 last year and a horrible, league worst 2-14 this season (dropping 14 straight after winning their first 2, thats almost 0-16 detroit'esqe).  A lot of their games were close and they had some injuries.  Plus they have the #1 pick in the draft.  

I'd then lump us in with the Bucs and Vikes for 3rd, 4th or 5th most attractive right now.  I think all of these three teams have to fill a lot of holes, but have some key pieces in place.  The cap space will be attractive for the FA market, but the lack of a 1st round draft pick hurts us in the draft and could be our Achilles heal.  

Browns would be the least attractive in my opinion, no QB, no RB, horrible offense.  I think their defense is the strongest part of their team, correct me if Im wrong, not top but not horrible.  But the owner fired the head coach after one year into a 4 year deal, plus its Cleveland, and their franchise is in far worse shape than ours.  

I'd probably give the nod to the Lions as being the most attractive job, especially for an offensive minded head coach.

I can't believe people think Detroit and Houston are more attractive jobs.

The Washington Redskins have been around since the 1930s.  Much more tradition and honor.

I don't see any potential NFL head coach assigning those qualities a whole lot of points, on their ranking system. 

I can't believe people think Detroit and Houston are more attractive jobs.

The Washington Redskins have been around since the 1930s.  Much more tradition and honor.

You have to look at it differently in today's NFL though.  So much has changed, its now a what have you done for me lately league.  With free agency, its hard to build empires/dynasties anymore.  Sure there are a handful of franchises you can point to, ours is not one of them, that's the cold hard facts.

Look at the average life span of a head coach in the NFL, most coaches get 3-5 years to right the ship/fix it, make playoffs, etc.  If they are lucky.  This is a business decision for these guys and they are going to want to be in the best possible situation to better their careers and provide for their families and future (i.e. next NFL job once the current one is over).  

Just because our team has been around since the 30s, won 3 super bowls doesn't really mean **** to those guys applying for a head coaching job.  Why would it?  

If I'm a head coach candidate and interviewing for any of the current openings, the first thing I'm thinking is salary of course, then what the current state of the team is as far as players/talent, responsibility/power/front office, etc. etc.  I'm wanting at least a 4 year or 5 year deal and hopefully enough talent already on deck to make a playoff run or one within two seasons.  

With better situations already in place, why in the hell would I want to go to a team that is in a semi-horrible state right now?  With gaping holes everywhere (defense and offense) and not even have a first round pick in the upcoming draft.  Not to mention being in the spotlight due to the media market and being the second most profitable franchise currently in football.  

Too long to quote.

Think you've got a good point, there. If I'm a candidate, the team I want to go to, is one where I can make the playoffs in two years. That's a team where I have the best chance of actually finishing my first contract. And, once I get that First HC job, any other job, after that, my W-L record is going to be virtually the only thing they look at.

I think Brett Favre exhibited that to the ultimate degree. "Yeah, I might decide to change my mind about my fourth retirement, IF it's to a team with a top 10 defense and a good running game, before I got there."

To me, if I'm a candidate, "how many games can I win, with this team, in the next two years" is pretty much my sole criteria.

So you're saying we have too get the next candidate drunk out his mind and The Redskins might have a chance?

Either that, or "She's rich".

'skins have huge assets other franchises in search of a HC don't

1)  Possible franchise QB who is one year removed from blowing the NFL away

2) very good/elite talent at key positions including pass rushers, LT, WR, RB, and possibly even DHall at cb.

3) A natural roster purge where the new coach isn't burdened with a lot of legacy garbage

4) A ton of free agent monopoly money

On the downside

1) Snder's rep (I think this is more a fan/media construct than reality honestly)

2) No first round pick

3) Some major holes

I think the plus side is much higher than the down, esp. because a team that jetisoned its HC by definition has to have significant problems.

I like this post and agree with much of it. I also tend to agree that Snyder's rep is more fiction than fact. He's not completely hands off. But outisde of Schottenheimer, has he really not given a head coach a fair shake? Spurrier and Zorn were poor NFL coaches (each got a couple years), and Gibbs and Shanahan each got 4 seasons (with Gibbs choosing to leave).

Are we still going to bring up Schottenheimer as the reason Snyder's a bad owner? He has gotten better over the eyars. It's like the people that talk abouot the Redskins poor free agent signings, and 3/5th of the list is Jeff George, Deion Sanders, and Bruce Smith. How about what's happened in the last decade? Snyder's far from perfect and has his flaws, but post Marty, did anyone not get a real opportunity?

Snyder just fired the entire coaching staff because RGIII didn't like them and because Shannahan benched him.

Complete speculation that is most likely inaccurate information leaked from shanny himself. When was the last time you trusted him.

I actually think its a fairly attractive job. It's the only open position that truly has the QB position settled. Also a franchise LT, talent at RB, Te, and even WR

On defense there are some key pieces as well.

I think of all the open positions, the Redskins Roster is the only one that can be entirely filled with mid to late round picks and blue collar free agents. Mayb a high priced corner, but for the most part this team just needs a lot of depth, as it has absolutely none right now

Very attractive. Think about what it looked like when shanny took over. This is a very attractive job, in fact, the most attractive there is.

An owner who wants to win and willing to spend his money to do so

A franchise qb

Talent on offense with an inept offensive line just imagine if you upgrade the online what it could be

One of the storied franchises of the nfl

And don't forget us, a fan base craving a winner.

I think the whole Snyder negative factor is overrated. Yes there are coaches who will refuse to coach for him- probably Gruden, Cowher, maybe a couple others. But despite his reputation, there are plenty of things that would attract a coach:

1. Snyder has proven to become less invasive. Maybe he is still an obstacle, but no doubt he can get out of the way if motivated to do so

2. Snyder will spend to the cap if necessary

3. Snyder will pay the coach a lot if he wants him enough

4. RG3. The media and upset fans can feel free to say he's a bust, but everybody who has seen tape and is a credible football person knows that the potential is there to still be a great QB.

5. Talent at key positions. Depth is lacking but there are plenty of pieces to work with. Franchise QB, top RB, top WR, very promising TE. Good-to-great pass rushing LBs.

I wish Snyder did not have the ego/personality problem, but honestly it might be a good thing for once. It's going to keep egomaniacs like Mike Shanahan from pursuing the job. We already have a QB and owner with big egos. We need a coach who will do his job without getting in a big pissing contest with the other important people in the building.

I think the only thing that's made me chuckle.  The NFL Network had like 4 writers saying Cleveland is where they should go.. You know where, they have 2 First Round PIcks.  I nearly lost it laughing.  

I just got back from the Cleveland area and listened to some WTAM-AM 1100 sports talk while there.  Those fans make DC fans sound like the "Up With People" chorus.  There is wholesale, widespread disgust with "The Three Stooges" ... which is what they call owner Jim Haslam, CEO Joe Banner, and GM Mike Lombardi.   I didn't hear a single commentator or fan who supported the firing of Rob Chudzinski.  Most felt it cemented the team's place as the laughingstock of the NFL and couldn't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to coach there under that regime.

Yet many commentators, including Bernie Kosar, were also under the delusion that somehow Nick Saban could be persuaded to coach there.  Another name bandied about?  Mike Shanahan.

You have to look at it differently in today's NFL though.  So much has changed, its now a what have you done for me lately league.  With free agency, its hard to build empires/dynasties anymore.  Sure there are a handful of franchises you can point to, ours is not one of them, that's the cold hard facts.

Look at the average life span of a head coach in the NFL, most coaches get 3-5 years to right the ship/fix it, make playoffs, etc.  If they are lucky.  This is a business decision for these guys and they are going to want to be in the best possible situation to better their careers and provide for their families and future (i.e. next NFL job once the current one is over).  

Just because our team has been around since the 30s, won 3 super bowls doesn't really mean **** to those guys applying for a head coaching job.  Why would it?  

I beg to differ, building an empire or dynasty is hard but not unheard of in the free agency era. You can look no furthur than our own confrence. The Eagles (still have'nt won a championship) and Giants are perennial contenders going back the last 15 years or more the same can be said for teams like the Steelers and Ravens.

Really isnt that what we are talking about... consistency...always being a factor in the division, confrence and championship. Building the program back up to where it belongs.

You are right this isnt Detroit or Houston. It is exponentally better !! regardless of owner, record, players or the intensity of the microscope you are under here.

If I were an NFL coach I would jump at the opportunity to come to DC and If I were the owner I would'nt dick around with any coach that I had to persuede to coach here. Give me a guy who looks at this situation and sees the potential and says yeah I can work with this. Just keep signing those checks and stay out of the way Dan.

There is no better job in the NFL right now !

The pros

- Rabid Fanbase

- Ownership fully invested

- New training facility

- Good salary cap position

- Young talent at key positions

- If you win you become legend

The Cons

- Meddlesome Dan -

- Intense media all the time

- The name change crap

I think the Snyder issue is overstated. By all accounts he stepped back and let Shanny run the show. It wasn't until the wheels fell off this year that we started to hear rumblings about him being invovled. I chalk all of that noise up to Shanny trying to cover his ass and save his rep. I think Snyder did learn a lesson after Vinny/Zorn. He hired a real, respected, football guy in Bruce Allen. Allen will be leading this search. It will be handled professionaly. We will not end up with another Zorn. I think the fact that Snyder was absent from the proceedings today is a sign that he is stepping back.

As far as ranking the jobs go. I'd say Houston and Detroit have better talent. Here is how I see the jobs.

Houston: Solid ownership and good talent plus the #1 pick.

Washington: Owner willing to spend and lots of cap space. Solid building blocks on O including 1, maybe 2 young QBs.

Detroit: People say no one has ever won for Snyder. William Clay Ford has owned the Lions since 1963. How many coaches have won for him? 1 playoff win in 50 years. They will be hiring their 8th coach in 15 years, where have I heard those numbers before? Good talent and a QB.

Tampa: Owners were busy dealing with Man U while the Bucs facility was overrun by MRSA. Some talent, don't know if Glennon is the answer at QB.

Minnesota: Earlier this year a Civil Court found the Viking's owner guilty of civil fraud and racketeering. Some talent, no QB.

Cleveland: The Browns owner just axed his coach after 1 year. Some talent, no QB.

It is not like we are competing against Pittsburgh and New England here.

If a coach wins here they will be a king in one of the most powerful cities in the world. That is attractive. This is a high profile job. Which team have all the networks lead with when talking about the coaching changes? It has been mentioned before that these coaches have big egos. Being the guy to turn this franchise around will appeal to those egos. Plus the area itself is much more attractive than Detroit, Minnesota, or Cleveland.

I think the Snyder issue is overstated. By all accounts he stepped back and let Shanny run the show.

Think again. Allen himself was asked about this during his press conference:

On how much Snyder’s involvement has changed in recent years:

“... Has he taken a step back? He’s still one of the great fans. I think – and I’ve seen some of the reports, if you knew how much Dan Snyder wants to win – I mean, he wants to win more than life itself – and he has given us the support and the resources to do what we think is necessary to help us win. It showed a year ago and this year it didn’t, but it’s our job to do the execution. It’s not Dan calling the plays. It’s not Dan picking the players. It’s the people he’s hired, it’s our job to actually turn this team into a winner.

That's called a non-denial denial. Yes, Snyder is all over the decisions, including player selection and who gets to play. Shannahan benching RGIII was probably the deciding factor in RGIII jock-sniffing Snyder's firing of Shannahan. Just my opinion.

Consider that RGIII said weeks ago that he would be "playing for a different coach next year".

How could he know that?

Archived