Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions: How attractive is the Redskins job?

Larry

As long as a competent defensive coordinator comes along, I think it's very attractive since the new coach will actually have the finances to acquire players to suit his personnel. 

The rest of the division actually isn't as strong as it might seem. If we were the team of 2012, all of our divisional games were winnable. This year all the games were out of reach because we were just that bad.

I agree Rskins06, but the truth is otherwise, it's ALL about RGIII.

Coincidentally, I was just reading an article on the WashPo:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Once again Redskins owner Daniel Snyder will be seeking a head coach — the eighth since he purchased the team in 1999. Mike Shanahan’s successor will face many challenges — including a roster that must be overhauled — but quarterback Robert Griffin III will be his most important project.

Benched for the final three games, Griffin must improve as a pocket passer. After butting heads with Shanahan and his play-caller son, Kyle, Griffin has to learn to trust coaches again. The 2012 NFL offensive rookie of the year, whose confidence was shaken in the Redskins’ drama-filled workplace, needs a boss who believes in him.

Griffin’s importance to the franchise provides a clear blueprint for Snyder to fill the upcoming coaching vacancy: Promote General Manager Bruce Allen to team president, hire a true general manager with a strong player-personnel background and task him to pick a coach who would put Griffin’s development foremost on his to-do list.

We're getting a yes man who'll cuddle RGIII and see that his every desire is fulfilled, and that's not a winning recipe.

You could say that about any QB in this league and game. The QB is the most important position in the game. If you dont have a good relationship with your QB your not going to win very many games. 

Zorn doesn't happen if coaches are beating down Snyder's door for a chance to work for him. I think the shine of the Redskins HC job has dulled consistently since Snyder has owned the team. Sure he got Shanahan but he had to give him full control and accept his son to do it. I wonder how many coaches will be lining up to work under a GM and Snyder, without full control. I'm guessing it will be a short list.

Everybody wants to win, saddly he constantly screwed up when he tried. He managed to kept our hopes very high every time, with big name coaches and free agents, just to constantly dumping them. I do understand some fans losing hope, because so far there is no real sign he changed. Right now I'm wondering who really wants to coach for him ? I don't want a Zorn 2 experiment. Time will tell.

He kept our hopes up by bringing in players EVERYONE wanted.  I would like for someone to come out and honestly tell me they thought each big name signed  was a mistake.  Everyone knew the signing of Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Adam Archuletta, Jeremiah Trotter (I could name more) was going to bring championships.   

When Zorn was hired (from QB coach), NO ONE blasted that hire, everyone thought he was a good hire and his first 8 games, everyone thought he was the second coming.  When he was elevated from QB coach, the first comparison I made was to Steve Mariucci (Green Bays QB Coach when hired by 49ers HC). 

Hindsight is always 20/20!  Lets just hope he stops making decisions with his heart (blind fan) and lets better football minds make the decisions.  I don't think he has done anything differently than what any one of us would do if we won the billion dollar lottery and bought the Redskins.

Not saying he has not made mistakes, but all of his decisions were geared towards the success of this franchise.

Yeah, that detroit job is pretty attractive, except for the fact that it's in Detroit.

Yep, the fact that it's in Detroit is enough to steer some people away.  Coaches just don't look at the roster and such.  They look at the location and what is best for their family.  Would the coach's family be happier in Detroit or Houston?  It depends on the person. 

Typical Couch GM's it went from a Disaster, dissention some say a laughing stock, (the Shannys / Synder /RGIII issues/ lousy GM)

to most desired coaching spot. LOL....

Well, pointing out that the team that wins the Super Bowl, probably won't be hiring a new coach.  :)

(Although, granted, Jerrah did do that, once.) 

Now, also granted, I doubt that even the must sucky of NFL teams has some talent on it.  I assume that nobody stinks at all 22 starting positions. 

But, me, I suspect that the Redskins, talent-wise, are better than their record.  AND I think that, as a team, they also have more opportunities for improvement, more coupons which can be traded in for players, than many.  (Although, granted, the lack of a first rounder hurts them on that score, too.  I assume that many of the teams we're competing against can probably dangle a top 5 draft pick in front of any hypothetical new coaching candidate.) 

Me, I look at the Redskins, and I think that if I were an egotistical guy who thinks he knows a lot about football, (and I assume that anybody who's a candidate for this position, fits those descriptions), I'd be thinking that I could at least be 8-8, next year. 

AND, because of the degree of suck we demonstrated, this year, I'd be thinking that 8-8, next year, and I'm a hero.  (At least for a while.) 

Yep, the fact that it's in Detroit is enough to steer some people away.  Coaches just don't look at the roster and such.  They look at the location and what is best for their family.  Would the coach's family be happier in Detroit or Houston?  It depends on the person. 

Well DC does have some of the best schooling in the Nation in Howard Montgomery and Fairfax county 

Also remember who he (Dan Snyder) is friends with and who he has learned from......Jerry Jones!!  Maybe intially, he thought this was no different than fantasy football and if he outspent Jerrah, he would have a better team!!  I can't think of 1 Redskin Fan who doesn't think they are smarter than Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder was just another FAN who though he was smarter.

Slowly but steadily, he is coming back to reality he is not a smart football guy, he is a wealthy Redskins FAN who seems to be letting the reigns go more and more. 

Maybe now, it comes to fruition and he hires a true GM. 

Of course, he could always revert back to original Snyder.

Question:  Does the Skins having Kerrigan and (maybe) Orakpo count as an advantage? 

I think they did a pretty good job for our D, even this season.  They did what they were supposed to do:  Got pressure. 

To me, they're a pair of players that give our team a pair of pretty good starters, who compliment each other, and who really fit their jobs. 

IF we stay with 3-4. 

But that's not guaranteed, is it? 

Does this hamper our negotiations, with Orakpo?  We don't know what we're going to be doing, on defense, next year.  And we won;t have a DC, until after we pick a coach. 

Me, I think that, at least the presence of those two, rather argues for us to stay with a 3-4. 

(Although, confessing that I'm a real idiot with these things.  I think they worked really well, in the 3-4.  I'm assuming that going to a 4-3 wouldn't fit them as well, but that's an assumption.) 

I stand corrected, I stated Steve Mariucci was hired from Green Bay (QB Coach) to coach the 49ers.  In fact, he was Green Bays QB coach in 1995, hired by the Cal in 1996, went 6-6 played in Aloha Bowl.  Then in 1997 was hired as HC of the 49ers and went 13-3 his first year.

That being said, what about the Mooch?

Extremely attractive imo, either ranked 1 or 2. 

The offense he is going to inherit features the NFL's top receiver in catches this year #1 who is only 27 years old. He is also going to inherit the NFL's #4 rushing yardage leader this season and last years #2 who is only 25. Along with a promising but future in doubt pass catching TE entering his second season. Then there is the 25 year old left tackle who is a 2x pro bowl player to protect the 2012 NFL's Rookie of the Year winner running the show. Not to mention the luxury of having a promising young under 25 with two years left on his contract backup QB to boot. 

If I am a head coach I would see so many question marks at the play making positions to enhance, develop, game plan for, and mature. The offense is not without questions with it's offensive line issues but the make up is there for instant success with the right help. 

Ownership has the reputation that your going to be one of the highest paid coaches and your families futures will be taken care of no matter how you do. Your stadium is the largest in the league and your future teams fans are as passionate as they come to a fault like coaching in a small town and you are the coach of it's winning one and only high school football team. If you win you will be the talk of the town, which happens to be the Nations Capital

The Defense is bad, but not Cowboys bad. They have book end pass rushers who totaled 19 sacks but the main guy is a Free Agent that you have to make a decision to lock up long term or not. Outside of that you need to rebuild the special teams and make that a priority. 

This job has it's ups and downs but in the open landscape of the NFL today outside of Houston who has an aging declining star filled offense this might be the best job open today

KDawg made a compelling argument but I still can't hop on board.

I think we are more likely to find a coach that wants that 7 million dollars, wants that total control than we are to find that coach that wants to prove that this team can be built into a legacy.

Hell, we just fired a coach that claimed to want what was best for the team. Now, it turns out he was just stealing Snyder's money and trying to advance his family while trying to ruin the careers of multiple players.

He kept our hopes up by bringing in players EVERYONE wanted. I would like for someone to come out and honestly tell me they thought each big name signed was a mistake. Everyone knew the signing of Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Adam Archuletta, Jeremiah Trotter (I could name more) was going to bring championships.

When Zorn was hired (from QB coach), NO ONE blasted that hire, everyone thought he was a good hire and his first 8 games, everyone thought he was the second coming. When he was elevated from QB coach, the first comparison I made was to Steve Mariucci (Green Bays QB Coach when hired by 49ers HC).

Hindsight is always 20/20! Lets just hope he stops making decisions with his heart (blind fan) and lets better football minds make the decisions. I don't think he has done anything differently than what any one of us would do if we won the billion dollar lottery and bought the Redskins.

Not saying he has not made mistakes, but all of his decisions were geared towards the success of this franchise.

That's complete nonsense. During the Vinny era there were plenty of people that were ripping their hair out over his continued employment. A lot of fans hated the Zorn hire and saw it for what it was, a panic move by an owner that failed to find a head couch. It looked great through the first 8 games... And then reality set in. Many disliked the Shanhan hire and many more disliked giving him, or any coach, full control.

People have been calling for the hire of a strong GM and a coach serving beneath him for a long time. Claiming that people have loved every move this franchise, and Dan Snyder, has made is ridiculous. They've been shouted down by fans eager to get onboard with every bad idea but they've been there and it has not been all hindsight.

Some of us have even noted how Snyders hires have failed to match the personnel and previous identity in major ways. He's alternated between conservative power running offenses and more sophisticated passing attacks regularly. With Shanahan he took a successful defense and tried to hammer it into a 3-4 with a bad coordinator. Spurrier to Gibbs to Zorn to Zone Blocking. The legacy of Snyder has been the absolute lack of identity. The team is entirely reinvented with each new coaching hire.

When Zorn was hired (from QB coach), NO ONE blasted that hire,

A few from WP & others

"Jim Zorn has won as many superbowls as head coach as Andy Reid"

'WOW is all I can say. From QB coach to a head coach. I don't like it but it beats the hell out of Fassel."

"Zorn is a twig off the giant Bill Walsh coaching tree ... off the Mike Holmgren branch."

Jim Zorn to the Redskins: Probably the worst NFL hire of all-time

As Destino said that was a panic attack.

Question:  Does the Skins having Kerrigan and (maybe) Orakpo count as an advantage? 

I think they did a pretty good job for our D, even this season.  They did what they were supposed to do:  Got pressure. 

To me, they're a pair of players that give our team a pair of pretty good starters, who compliment each other, and who really fit their jobs. 

IF we stay with 3-4. 

But that's not guaranteed, is it? 

Does this hamper our negotiations, with Orakpo?  We don't know what we're going to be doing, on defense, next year.  And we won;t have a DC, until after we pick a coach. 

Me, I think that, at least the presence of those two, rather argues for us to stay with a 3-4. 

(Although, confessing that I'm a real idiot with these things.  I think they worked really well, in the 3-4.  I'm assuming that going to a 4-3 wouldn't fit them as well, but that's an assumption.) 

I thought Orakpo and Kerrigan both played in 4-3 defenses in college, and there were tons of posters on here lamenting that they would have to play coverage in a 3-4? I thought that was the case at least, so maybe a 4-3 wouldn't be so bad for them?

long time lurker, 1st time poster

I would put the Skins and Houston over the others. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Cleveland or Detroit. They also have never really shown the will to win no matter who was running those organizations. At least Detroit does have a franchise QB unlike the others outside of DC. 

1- Skins- of course very biased but great fan base, owner willing to pay what it takes and franchise QB

2- Houston- playoff team last few years, still lots of good young talent. Needs a QB but has #1 pick

3- Detroit- lots of talent, franchise QB, low expectations but you have to live in or near Detroit

4- Tampa- possibility of total control, great weather, no state taxes (Hou also), fired GM did good job putting talent on team

5- Minnesota- seems to be a franchise going no where, major need at QB, little older than other teams

6- Cleveland- insert Cleveland tourism video from youtube

It's all relative. Relative to all football coaching jobs in the world making it to the nfl is very desirable. Relative to all head coaching jobs available in the nfl, coaching the redskins has to be towards the bottom of the heap. Arguments to the contrary seem like wishful thinking when you take an objective look at the state of the franchise. The good news is that it's still a coveted job but the bad news is that any coach can't fix bad team building decisions that are the hallmark of the Snyder decades.

Thus ensuring the joy you clearly feel when losing occurs.

You think I enjoy this? You couldn't be more wrong. I'm grieving.

It's like the girl I love keeps breaking my heart, and I've finally begun to realize she will never love me back.

My heart aches at the state of this franchise, and I am completely powerless.

Archived