Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

2. Briles said it himself, the only thing that interests him in the NFL right now is just to see if his offense would work at that level - I don't want to be a test rat team for his college offense.  I want a coach whose dream was to be a head coach in the NFL and win a Super Bowl.

As soon as I saw that, I said next....  When Chip came to the NFL, he said I don't have to run a certain offense.  I will adapt to the situation.

Not saying Briles would or would not adapt, but those words right there suggest 'no I will not change.'  That is scary.  I don't want to be a pin cushion.

brandymac27 I was never upset or angry with DC9 or anyone else. But I did see what you where saying about how it could've been taken that way. Thanks again bro.

I think when you're not bashing players, coaches and people it can seem kinda weired to some. Even though I have concerns with some areas of Briles coaching, it doesn't concern me enough to say he's NOT qualified to be an NFL coach. Or he ignores defense etc etc.

No problem, and I'm a female LOL. It's all good. We all disagree with each other around here at times, and that's ok. We're all entitled to our opinions and are allowed to let those opinions be known, as long as they don't break any board rules.

For the record, I'd love to see Briles in DC. I just wanted to let you know that the post you made about DC9 going to "meet" you could get you in trouble, and no internet argument is worth getting banned over.

Anyway, all is good now, and I'm glad we're all getting along :D

No problem, and I'm a female LOL. It's all good. We all disagree with each other around here at times, and that's ok. We're all entitled to our opinions and are allowed to let those opinions be known, as long as they don't break any board rules.

For the record, I'd love to see Briles in DC. I just wanted to let you know that the post you made about DC9 going to "meet" you could get you in trouble, and no internet argument is worth getting banned over.

Anyway, all is good now, and I'm glad we're all getting along :D

OOPPPPSSSSS LOL I'm sorry sweetie!!! Thank you again

Its amusing how people that don't/didn't like Briles are suddenly chesty in opposition of him based on 1 game.

The people that think Briles isn't qualified must also think the same thing about Chip Kelly. You know the 1st year HC without any NFL experience running a 'gimmick' offense. Wait, what's that? The 1st year NFL HC without NFL experience is the NFC East division winner? And his 'gimmick' offense is #4 in Points and #2 in yards and #1 in rushing. 

I don't see how there can be any question about Briles qualifications as a HC candidate.

If Briles is interviewed and the FO thinks he is there guy I hope they have the balls to make the right call.

Don't pass on Chip Kelly 2.0  because you're worried about perception.

As soon as I saw that, I said next....  When Chip came to the NFL, he said I don't have to run a certain offense.  I will adapt to the situation.

Not saying Briles would or would not adapt, but those words right there suggest 'no I will not change.'  That is scary.  I don't want to be a pin cushion.

Briles' offense built around each QB

"Honestly, it might be a cliché, but they don't fit the player to the system," said Florence, who is pursuing an MBA at Baylor this year while working in the athletics department's development office. "They fit the system to the player. They look at each quarterback and say, 'This is what he's good at, so this is what we're going to do.'"

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9833069/baylor-coach-art-briles-builds-offense-quarterback

Liverpool won yesterday and are back in 4th (Champions League if season ended today) so he may be sleeping off a bender?

I'm down.

On one condition.  In the future, do your darndest not to come in here and imply that no one knows what they are talking about just because they didn't play professional football (as you've done above once again).

You will literally isolate the entire board with that attitude.

But I'm always a fan of sandwiches.  We'll see how this thing plays itself out.  I'm rooting for a hot coordinator who has a couple of years of great work that can bring in a strong coaching staff.  I think that's what is best for this franchise.

That's not what was trying to imply or even meant. What people think sometimes about the process is not. In trying to explain part of that process i mentioned that I played the game and was totally enlightened by the process. Now I can call myself stupid DC9, because once I saw it and learned from it, I realized how dumb I really was as to what really goes into that search for a coach.

Then I understood why those puzzling picks and decisions happened. Every since I've been on this board back in 2006 I've never belittled or try to act like I know it all. Because I don't. What I do know is Briles has the makings to be a good NFL coach when you look at what he was able to do with terrible organizations. Now the million dollar question is will he be? I can't guarantee that. Nor could I guarantee that with ANY coach that comes here. But to see some of the comments as to why he won't is funny. EVERY coach has a weakness that they will need help with. That's what a staff is for. That's all I was saying.

We can have as many sandwiches as you like my friend. I don't drink though.......so kool-aid, chips, pickles, as many different meats as you like LOL!! I don't drink soda pop either LOL but fruit juices are fine. LOL Then we can talk football and all of that good stuff man

Then I understood why those puzzling picks and decisions happened. Every since I've been on this board back in 2006 I've never belittled or try to act like I know it all. Because I don't. What I do know is Briles has the makings to be a good NFL coach when you look at what he was able to do with terrible organizations. Now the million dollar question is will he be? I can't guarantee that. Nor could I guarantee that with ANY coach that comes here. But to see some of the comments as to why he won't is funny. EVERY coach has a weakness that they will need help with. That's what a staff is for. That's all I was saying.

We can have as many sandwiches as you like my friend. I don't drink though.......so kool-aid, chips, pickles, as many different meats as you like LOL!! I don't drink soda pop either LOL but fruit juices are fine. LOL Then we can talk football and all of that good stuff man

It's not really as simple as hiring a staff.  We've seen that.  And we've seen some staffs that don't look good turn out to be pretty good because of how they construct the scheme.

Briles defenses don't have a strength.  It's all about scoring points.  Most teams that are high scoring build up their defense through pass rushing and secondary (because they are always playing with a lead).  Smashmouth teams shorten the game because they run and stop the run, etc.

There has been no method to Briles offense working in concert with his defense.  Which means he just cares about offense.  Which doesn't win you a championship in the NFL when push comes to shove.

Even back to his Houston days, defense was just a rumor in his program and that has to cause some concern.

If it was just as simple as hiring a coordinator do you think he would've found one in the last decade plus he's been a head coach?

And Chip Kelly also has Pat Shurmur on his staff.  Not giving him too much credit (Shurmur) but he was a HC in the NFL just last year.

And I'm not a big drinker either.

I will say that I'm not in love with Chip Kelly.  Yeah, he won the division at 10-6, but if I didn't think the division was going to stink for the next few years, I'd be willing to bet on him being out of the NFL in the next 3 years.

As is, he might manage to win the worse division in the NFL with another 10 or 9 win season and coach for 5 or 6 years before being gone. if he gets lucky.

I don't think he has built anything there that long term can be sustained or turned into a real championship team.

I don't think what Kelly did (and I don't think much of it) is good evidence that we should hire Briles (though I'm not sure it is good evidence we shouldn't either).

This isn't a knock on Art Briles but breaking down his football acumen every which way doesn't tell me a thing. Shanny's football acumen on the offensive side of the ball borders on savant levels and that got him nowhere. Also, Art Briles runs a variation of Mike Leach's offense so it's not this novel, revolutionary offense. Briles is very good at what he does and there are very few head coaches who could have pulled off what he has done at Baylor, but there's nothing that puts him head shoulders above other candidates. He's an intriguing possibility but this thread would have you believe he's this revolutionary and a slam dunk hire. He isn't.

I will say that I'm not in love with Chip Kelly.  Yeah, he won the division at 10-6, but if I didn't think the division was going to stink for the next few years, I'd be willing to bet on him being out of the NFL in the next 3 years.

As is, he might manage to win the worse division in the NFL with another 10 or 9 win season and coach for 5 or 6 years before being gone. if he gets lucky.

I don't think he has built anything there that long term can be sustained or turned into a real championship team.

I don't think what Kelly did (and I don't think much of it) is good evidence that we should hire Briles (though I'm not sure it is good evidence we shouldn't either).

Kelly is great.  He came in with a system, and it blew up in his face.  He adjusted, found a professional QB on his roster, and the rest is history.  The next coach of the Skins will not have the luxury of discovering his QB, he will either make RG3 work or fail trying.  The odds of success in this case is low.  He will have to be a top notch NFL QB guru.  A Mike Martz.  Briles won't cut it.

Well it looks like things kind of got a little out of control in here. for a second. I wasn't aware that 1 game equaled a death sentence. Like I said, there is no perfect hire/circumstance. As for people that were calling hypocrisy on the penalies, speaking for myself, that was one of the many reasons why Shanahan had to go, not the only one. Some teams just have years where they get a ton of penalties. Throughout the Shanahan era, this team had issues with penalties.

Anyways, I guess the defense thing is a legitimate concern.... If he is a guy that will meddle in defensive affairs, and hire staff, and call plays. I'm not sure there's any way to know whether or not that would happen. I'm sure people had fun last night though. 

If arguments were movies, I guess this would be the part where Rocky gets his ass whooped and Mickey dies in Rocky 3. Time to do some soul searching...

If we are being obscure...

How about we look at a coach that is 2-1 against the Oregon Ducks in 3 years.

David Shaw anyone?

Chip Kelly won the division, why not bring his nemesis in?  I mean, I know he's said that he's not interested, but if not for RG3 does this thread exist?

So, I've been following this whole, I don't know, excitement/passion/semi-obsession with Briles coming here without really having a strong opinion about it one way or another. I've read the posts from dg outlining a lot of what he's about and have enjoyed them, but still don't know whether I like the idea or not. 

So I decided to watch the game yesterday and was taken aback when the commentators mentioned numerous times that Briles HAD THE MOST PENALIZED TEAM IN COLLEGE THIS YEAR.

Whaaa!? I'm absolutely stunned there's a contingent here who really, really want Briles while knowing that he's got a team known for penalties, lol. What's weird is it's the same group who absolutely murdered Shanahan over the lack of discipline here. 

Am I missing something? 

Can you guys tell me how he'd bring that elusive "discipline" here and why his team being the most penalized in college isn't indicative of what he'll do here? I ask that sincerely... maybe there's a totally rational explanation that I'm missing.  

Briles neglect for the defensive side of the football is laughable. 

That is all I am saying.

His scheme has no yin and yang... it's entirely one sided and it's shown everywhere he's been.

I agree with you, he doesn't know a thing about defense but we bashed shanny because he didn't know a thing about defense but still wanted to put his nose in the defense. So now we have a coach who already came out and said he wouldn't touch defense he would hire Greg Williams and let him do whatever he wants on that side of the ball and we're bashing him because he's neglecting the defense?

Which one do you guys want? Or do you just want to bash him because there's nothing else to do when we're 3-13? lol

Well it looks like things kind of got a little out of control in here. for a second. I wasn't aware that 1 game equaled a death sentence. Like I said, there is no perfect hire/circumstance. As for people that were calling hypocrisy on the penalies, speaking for myself, that was one of the many reasons why Shanahan had to go, not the only one. Some teams just have years where they get a ton of penalties. Throughout the Shanahan era, this team had issues with penalties.

Anyways, I guess the defense thing is a legitimate concern.... If he is a guy that will meddle in defensive affairs, and hire staff, and call plays. I'm not sure there's any way to know whether or not that would happen. I'm sure people had fun last night though. 

If arguments were movies, I guess this would be the part where Rocky gets his ass whooped and Mickey dies in Rocky 3. Time to do some soul searching...

Oh, snap, so I guess I should've read the last few pages, lol. Didn't know this was discussed heavily, but I should've assumed ES wouldn't miss a thing. 

So, that's the reasoning, though? It was just one of the issues with Shanahan so no problem if Briles has the same issue? :P

I'm mostly kidding here. Shanahan went all in on offense and I don't blame him, not in the NFL today. It's a strategy that has worked out for a lot of teams, where great offense's simply mask everything else. He may have been extreme about it but it sounds like Briles might be the same?    

If we are being obscure...

How about we look at a coach that is 2-1 against the Oregon Ducks in 3 years.

David Shaw anyone?

Chip Kelly won the division, why not bring his nemesis in?  I mean, I know he's said that he's not interested, but if not for RG3 does this thread exist?

We're not looking at him because he said he's not interested. It would be a pointless thread if we argued about shaw because he doesn't want the job at all. lol

I agree with you, he doesn't know a thing about defense but we bashed shanny because he didn't know a thing about defense but still wanted to put his nose in the defense. So now we have a coach who already came out and said he wouldn't touch defense he would hire Greg Williams and let him do whatever he wants on that side of the ball and we're bashing him because he's neglecting the defense?

Which one do you guys want? Or do you just want to bash him because there's nothing else to do when we're 3-13? lol

Briles said he'd hire Gregg Williams?

Lord have mercy those games would take 4 hours because of penalties.

We're not looking at him because he said he's not interested. It would be a pointless thread if we argued about shaw because he doesn't want the job at all. lol

Has Briles said he's interested even?

That's my point.  It's just as obscure, only Shaw didn't coach Griffin.

But Stanford did recruit Griffin and Luck.

Say what you guys want about Briles, whether you agree or disagree if hed make a good coach or not. I personally dont think so. But for the Briles defenders and Briles lovers, I have a question. If we were to hire Briles, wouldnt that look bad on us for kind of tailoring our coaching choice with someone that it would appear was brought in just for Robert? Even if he wasnt brought here for Robert, it would still look like it, wouldnt it?

He didn't come out and say that. JLC came out and suggested that he'd do well paired up with someone like that.

Archived