Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

For DC, I'm on the Spanos, Williams, or Phillips bandwagon. Not in any order.

If they paired Briles with a solid DC such as the above,  The fact that he would not be responsible for all three phases would let him excel with the O. 

Some people know so little about the actual game of football!

More people know so little about life. 

Why don't we just put Grimm in a pig costume and have him open super markets and stuff. Because most fans seem to want him here as a mascot of some kind. Captain 80s!

brilesfiles_zpsacfdb194.jpg

Approved LKB, lol. 

Those for Briles on one team, those against on another, that would make the disappointing season a win=win. Just hope I still have half the speed I used to think I had. lol. 

ROTFLMBO man that tickled me. We better have some oxygen handy too my friend LOL

You can keep Briles. He might be good at the college level but it doesn't mean he will be any good in the NFL. This team can't afford any more "experiments". He might end up like another Zorn.

Hmmm.. True true. He could end up being another failed Zorn type "experiment". So, what do we do? Go after the proven guy who has already won in the NFL before? Better yet, let's go for a guy who has won a Superbowl already.  :huh:

I'm not 100% sold on Briles but I'm not going to be mad if he ends up the next Head Coach. I'll trust the guys out there doing the interviews and hope they bring in the right guy because I'm sure they know more about who will fit more than I do.

I just want to point out that there would be serious issues if Briles comes here as a head coach. If he comes here you know there will be rumblings inside the locker room that RG3 is running the team. The backlash that will happen in the media will be terrible as well. If it fails, it will be even MORE issues in the long run for our franchise.

Keep Briles away

In my opinion, Shanahan/Briles seem to have the same overriding principle in running a team: Offense is everything.

Shanahan rightly deserves blame for his defenses because they are more directly 'his' defenses then other offenses minded HC who stick to their side of the ball. You wouldn't callthe Redskin defenses under Gregg Williams or Rich Pettibone,'Gibbs' defenses because Gibbs let them do their thing and he wasn't picking their groceries.

Shanahan deserves the labels for 'his' defenses because (1) he is the GM and (2) he has a direct say in the defense gameplan and game day playcalling.

Which is to say that Briles "defense" in the NFL would depend on who the front offices chooses for DC just like any other offensive minded HC.

RE: Briles

Briles isn't at the top of my list because he has more hurdles then the guys I would put at the top of my list. But the reason I could get behind him is this: I think Briles is a damn good fundamentallys sound football coach  AND I think Briles offense can provide a schematic advantage in addition to being a good coach. Follow me...I think the NFL is set up for parity and ihmo you need something that can give you an advantage. By and large I don't believe the talent differences in the NFL are as great as most people like to think. And I believe the NFL is one sport where coaching can have a great impact in production. Most organizations shoot themselves in  the foot and eliminate themselves from contention right out of the gate by mishandling organizational issues. Once a team gets past organizational hurdles and has competent coaching staff in place they are, imho, set-up for about .500 level play. Now if you have one or a few 'special' players that can bump you up above .500 level OR if you have some schematic advantage that is what gets team 10+wins 12+ if you have both. Now getting to the point................when given the chance why not go for the schematic advantage? And I believe that like Kelly, or even moreso then Kelly, Briles could provide that schematic advantage.

Shanahan rightly deserves blame for his defenses because they are more directly 'his' defenses then other offenses minded HC who stick to their side of the ball. You wouldn't callthe Redskin defenses under Gregg Williams or Rich Pettibone,'Gibbs' defenses because Gibbs let them do their thing and he wasn't picking their groceries.

Shanahan deserves the labels for 'his' defenses because (1) he is the GM and (2) he has a direct say in the defense gameplan and game day playcalling.

Which is to say that Briles "defense" in the NFL would depend on who the front offices chooses for DC just like any other offensive minded HC.

I don't know, to me that sounds too much like an Offensive Coordinator than a Head Coach. Who's running the show in the end? I get what you're saying, but using your example I think Gibbs still told Gregg Williams the overall principle of what he'd like to see. 

Remember how blitz-crazy double g was in 2004 and then he just got more and more conservative as the seasons went on? Remember how many people were saying that was Gibbs' doing, because he felt like Gregg was taking too many chances? Remember how many games we watched with our eye's bleeding that came down to the 4th quarter and the score was 13-10 the other team, lol? And then the opposing offense would score at the end because we refused to confuse or attack them and couldn't make that game-changing play or turnover?   

I believe Gregg would be asked those kind of questions and would defer to Gibbs as well, basically saying it was Gibb's choice.  

The way this is being talked about almost makes it seem like Briles is not a head coach by default. I totally get letting the defensive guys run their side of the ball... but I don't want a Ditka/Buddy Ryan situation on my team. I like to feel like the Head Coach has his sound principles all over the team.  

Most of the consistently best coaches in the league right now like the Harbaugh brothers, Belichick, Tomlin, etc... are known to have their hands heavily entrenched in every part of the team.   

That's why it didn't bother me at all when I read that article claiming Shanahan would get involved and change game plans and make calls during game day. That sits perfectly well with me. What didn't sit well was how bad the defense was no matter what, lol. So his involvement didn't really affect much (I don't know when it helped and when it didn't, so I'm not going to go along with most who are starting to let Has off the hook a bit). Defense still stank for most of his tenure.

But, yeah, I guess I want more from a head coach. I didn't like how Gibbs had to come out after Sean's passing when we played the Bills and basically say he was pissed off that Gregg didn't tell him he would be playing 10 guys the first snap of that game. But that says, to me, that Gibbs didn't accept Gregg just doing his thing. He expected to be in the loop.     

I don't know, to me that sounds too much like an Offensive Coordinator than a Head Coach. Who's running the show in the end? I get what you're saying, but using your example I think Gibbs still told Gregg Williams the overall principle of what he'd like to see.

You can view it that way but imo your are choosing to view it incorrectly. It is pretty much well known that Gibbs, like most offensive minded HC give their DC autonomy to run their defense.

The way this is being talked about almost makes it seem like Briles is not a head coach by default.

I totally get letting the defensive guys run their side of the ball... but I don't want a Ditka/Buddy Ryan situation on my team. I like to feel like the Head Coach has his sound principles all over the team.

You can choose to believe whatever you want but imho those characterizing Briles that way are doing so because imo they don't like him as a candidate and are grasping at straws for reasons to support their dislike. The HC doesn't micromanage their coordinators, they empower them. Briles wouldn't be different then any other offensive minded HC and to view him otherwise is incorrect, imo.

But, yeah, I guess I want more from a head coach.

Imo you are choosing to believe a false narrative about Briles in relation to defense and in so doing now believe that he lacks something.

And let's slow down on the chip Kelly love. One above average season in one of the worst divisions in history. Lets give it another year before we crown him.

Well technically he came out of the gate and took the crown from the champs and never looked back. NFCE champs anyway. 

I don't want briles but I would rather have him than Caldwell ... I had a good discussion with a friend last night and I have posted vigorously against briles.... But I heard a good point about how we do need a coach that can relate to younger players and is good with the attitudes and personalities of the younger players in the nfl and coming into the NFL. briles would fit that mold... I still can't believe I'm doing a 180 on this but it is true... Look at out previous coaches. They all had issues with players and their personalities because the league has changed... These guys can't be coached the same way as it was in the early 2000's. Our previous coaches have had rifts and locker room decent, Zorn was a Buffon , Shotty pissed of Bruce smith and Darrell green , spurrier was not respected, who even knows about the shanny dog house , Gibbs 2.0 did his best but with Seans death I feel it took a toll on him at a personal level.

I was not impressed with Baylors offense in their game with  C.Florida game last night

You had to watch them all season to understand what they're about.  In the bowl, there were two problems:  1)  They abandoned their gameplan, which their coordinator is known to do when getting down early and 2) It's a rhythm offense and those are usuall affected by having a whole month off.  Now I'm not in favor of Briles as head coach here, but the Baylor offense is 100% legit.  

Those for Briles on one team, those against on another, that would make the disappointing season a win=win. Just hope I still have half the speed I used to think I had. lol. 

Those against would have more depth.

Who knows. But it's worth a feeler.

I'm sure he'd love to come back to the NFL as a defensive coordinator.

I went through and looked at his defensive rankings for UCLA since he's been there.

When he took over they were like 110.  Then in his first year they were in the 70s.  Then this year they were in the 50s.

Not bad at all.  Especially with the variety of offenses they have to deal with out there in the Pac 12.

Archived