Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

TD_Washingtonredskins I certainly understand and agree with you to a certain degree. No one wants a heavily penalized team. And I sure would like to see them be prepared EVERY game. But that's not realistic. I look a teams like the Pats, 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos etc that are prepared the majority of the time. But then you have a game that you look at them and say WOW WTH.......you know what I mean? And every one of those teams have had games like that this year. Sometimes those types of games come at the wrong time. Hell, the Broncos are the 3rd most penalized team in the league right now. You don't see their fans complaining saying we need a better team.

Those stats only matter when the team(s) lose or is constantly losing. The Ravens also was the most penalized team the year they won the Superbowl. You think the fans in Baltimore care about that stat or the trophy?

I guess the point I'm making is, if Baylor won last night, virtually no one would care how much they're penalized etc etc etc. That's NOT somthing  Briles can't fix in the NFL with the proper staff etc etc etc. Any coach can come in here and have that same stat that's NOT named Briles.

It's also funny how some say they want a refreshing "change" yet they want to get a coach already in the NFL which some of them have been fired or wasn't successful somewhere else, or they're NOT a proven  winner  as a "head" coach either.

The gamble is the same whichever direction you go.

Absolutely. I wanted to be clear that I haven't sat down and watched Baylor too often, so this could easily be the exception. So, if Bruce Allen knows Briles more thoroughly, then obviously one game should not sway him. However, to someone without the benefit of that background (me), last night was not pretty at all.

I came away thinking that he is a clever offensive mind and that elements of his offense would almost certainly work in the NFL. However, I'm not sure you need him to do it. I'm also not sure that's reason enough to make him the leader of the team. Now, he might have other qualities that make his offensive philosophies icing on the cake...that will be up to the front office to decide.

In the end, I'm 100% behind the new coach and will be hoping for the best!

Baylor gave up 558 yards on defense!!!! Sorry, we do not need that coming to DC. Unless Briles wants to be OC.

Rskins06 Did they give up 558yds a game this year? Or are you speaking of that game? Hell Jason Campbell had a career day against the Pats. Would you not want Bill B because of that? Now before you jump all up in arms, I'm NOT saying Briles is Bill B. What I'm saying is that "1 game" is NOT the reason why you don't hire someone to be a coach. It's his full body of work and overall vision for the team. Period, plain and simple.

All I've got to say to you is, did you watch the Oregon Ducks in college? And by you saying Briles team has "never" had balance I know you are out on a limb of misinformation.

You post is a classic example of seeing 1 game and basing your opinion off that 1 game.

Nope.  I used to live in Seattle, bro... I've watched plenty of Oregon Ducks games. 

That team and system are set up to have one hand wash the other much more than any team Briles has had and it's not close.

You are a classic example of making excuses for who you want to bring in.

So the saints/colts didn't win a superbowl with extremely high powered offenses and terrible defenses? or did I create that in one of my many dreams?

Art Briles already said if he got hired he would hire Greg Williams as his defensive coordinator and Greg Williams said he would love to come back to the redskins. Art would just be working on the offense and would allow Greg to fix the defense, that combination would win games in this league.

Where did you read that? Gregg Williams was the DC for the Saints Super Bowl victory and Peyton freakin Manning was the Colts QB and they played against Rex Grossman. Poor comparisons IMO.

Did you watch the Oregon Ducks defense in College? There defense was VERY good and often times blew out very good teams because of it.

Baylor looks like a poor mans version of Oregon, without the Defense or team discipline to go along with it.

Dude Oregon did NOT have a VERY good defense in college. It was average at best. You made my point for me and don't realize it. LOL Carry on...............I need say no more

So the saints/colts didn't win a superbowl with extremely high powered offenses and terrible defenses? or did I create that in one of my many dreams?

Art Briles already said if he got hired he would hire Greg Williams as his defensive coordinator and Greg Williams said he would love to come back to the redskins. Art would just be working on the offense and would allow Greg to fix the defense, that combination would win games in this league. 

We'll argue about the Colts that year.  Manning was good in the regular season but the defense carried that team in the playoffs.

And the Saints defense wasn't the best but they turned the ball over better than just about any team that year.

And I'll be the first to give you a high five when Griffin is in the same conversation as Brees and Manning.  Right now he's not even close.

Nope.  I used to live in Seattle, bro... I've watched plenty of Oregon Ducks games. 

That team and system are set up to have one hand wash the other much more than any team Briles has had and it's not close.

You are a classic example of making excuses for who you want to bring in.

I'm the classic example of who I want to bring in? Now I know you don't read LOL!!! I've said many times that I would love to have Briles. If NOT him then Whisenhunt, Zimmer or WHO EVER THEY PICK I'M OK WITH and will support my team regardless. Check my history before you post such stuff. You looking more classic by the post :)

Also show me 1 excuse I made for Briles?

We'll argue about the Colts that year.  Manning was good in the regular season but the defense carried that team in the playoffs.

And the Saints defense wasn't the best but they turned the ball over better than just about any team that year.

And I'll be the first to give you a high five when Griffin is in the same conversation as Brees and Manning.  Right now he's not even close.

Of course he's not close and Peyton and Drew were very mediocre early on in their career too. The main priority is making RGIII, drew brees/peyton manning so when we hire a coach we need a coach who can get the most out of RGIII. Personally I want Jay Gruden to become our head coach but if Briles got the job I wouldn't complain, I know he can get the most out of RGIII and RGIII respects him enough to run through a wall for him.

QB is EXTREMELY difficult to find, other positions aren't so my thought process is making RGIII's success a priority. We already saw how our team went 10-6 when RGIII was successful and 3-13 when he wasn't and this is with the same terrible roster so yea RGIII is the priority and he should be. 

Baylor gave up 558 yards on defense!!!! Sorry, we do not need that coming to DC. Unless Briles wants to be OC.

Not really. Most HC take one side of the equation and have an Asst. HC take the other, I don't see where this affects the possibility that he would come here. I really am hoping for a younger NFL assistant that has had success, you know like the ones we are interviewing. 

Dude Oregon did NOT have a VERY good defense in college. It was average at best. You made my point for me and don't realize it. LOL Carry on...............I need say no more

To clarify EVERYONE's point except yours...

There is a huge difference between giving up high 20s and 30s in college football and ROUTINELY giving up in the 40s and 50s.

One shows you can make stops or get turnovers, the other shows you rival a speed bump.

That's the point. 

But continue to educate everyone else on the board.

Rskins06 Did they give up 558yds a game this year? Or are you speaking of that game? Hell Jason Campbell had a career day against the Pats. Would you not want Bill B because of that? Now before you jump all up in arms, I'm NOT saying Briles is Bill B. What I'm saying is that "1 game" is NOT the reason why you don't hire someone to be a coach. It's his full body of work and overall vision for the team. Period, plain and simple.

If you look further back in this post, you will see Briles records at both Houston and Baylor to see his full body of work.

I am not basing anything on just 1 game. His offense is good ( in college), his teams Defenses have not been good (feel free to fact check me). If you look at his FULL BODY of work, you will see his teams have only won their conferences 3 out of 11 years (in very weak conferences) and other than those have been average.

I'm the classic example of who I want to bring in? Now I know you don't read LOL!!! I've said many times that I would love to have Briles. If NOT him then Whisenhunt, Zimmer or WHO EVER THEY PICK I'M OK WITH and will support my team regardless. Check my history before you post such stuff. You looking more classic by the post :)

Also show me 1 excuse I made for Briles?

Look no further than the last two pages, mate.

I think it's safe to say this a QB driven league. Who is going to get the most out of our QB? If Briles isn't your cup of tea, maybe Montgomery being OC along with a defensive minded HC would be ideal. Any thoughts on that?

That would make me much more comfortable. Again, I have to admit that I don't know much about Baylor or Briles outside of seeing scores and last night's game. If he typically demonstrates all the other qualities you'd want to see in a head coach, then I'm more open to his hiring.

But overall, what I want is a prepared and disciplined team. I want a stingy defense. In addition, I'd like to have an offense that begins to incorporate some elements of the college game since I believe that is the way the NFL is trending. Defense is important though...look at the top 2 seeds in the NFC this year. Look at the identity of the team that won the NFC last year.

Of course he's not close and Peyton and Drew were very mediocre early on in their career too. The main priority is making RGIII, drew brees/peyton manning so when we hire a coach we need a coach who can get the most out of RGIII. Personally I want Jay Gruden to become our head coach but if Briles got the job I wouldn't complain, I know he can get the most out of RGIII and RGIII respects him enough to run through a wall for him.

QB is EXTREMELY difficult to find, other positions aren't so my thought process is making RGIII's success a priority. We already saw how our team went 10-6 when RGIII was successful and 3-13 when he wasn't and this is with the same terrible roster so yea RGIII is the priority and he should be. 

Briles neglect for the defensive side of the football is laughable. 

That is all I am saying.

His scheme has no yin and yang... it's entirely one sided and it's shown everywhere he's been.

I'm still a fan of Briles schemes, and coupled with a good DC and a GM who won't let him ONLY focus on the offense, I still think he'd be a good candidate. But he did nothing to alleviate the fears of several Skins fans last night.

Still, I think there is an overreaction on the "no" side, just as I think there would have been an over reaction on the "yes" side had Baylor rolled.

I'll reiterate what I've said from the start. Hire the guy who has the best plan for the franchise and can lead men. Hire a guy with some charisma, and hire a guy who is flexible. We can't know why candidates really have those traits without talking to them, so ultimately I have to trust the process.

Damn it, stop making sense again Dawg. YOu are making the reactionaries seem dimwitted. I like what Bruce had to say about the process and getting Brown and Campbell involved in the hiring process. All departments on deck.  

Well if the tweet from last night about him staying at Baylor is accurate then it seems like its a done deal. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in some of the offensive staff though like Montgomery to work on bringing this offense to the Redskins still, even if Briles isn't going to be the man to lead the team. 

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/college-football/after-fiesta-bowl-briles-could-talk-to-ut-about-co/ncZkM/

There is already conflicting reports and I sure the situation is fluid. Art is going to be answering his phone now that he has on his slippers at home. 

Where did you read that? Gregg Williams was the DC for the Saints Super Bowl victory and Peyton freakin Manning was the Colts QB and they played against Rex Grossman. Poor comparisons IMO.

You know what sometimes, just sometimes. LOL............Man the Colts lost the Superbowl against the Saints!!! Peyton Manning won the Superbowl with a below average defense and a high powered offense vs the Bears who had a better defense than offense. Same thing with the Saints. Peyton Manning threw a pick which sealed the victory vs the Saints for them to win. The Saints defense that year was decent. Certainly NOT the 2000 Ravens D or the current Seattle/ San Fran/ Panthers D.

So you're basing your changed opinion of Briles on watching one game that they lost?  Wow.  There were/are plenty of reasons to say no to Briles coming here before they lost last night.

I'm sure Briles is a very good college coach, but I've been saying since the beginning of this thread -- I think it would be a terrible move by the organization to bring him in.  Older college coach (going on 60), no NFL experience and a previous relationship with RG3.  Placating RG3?  Yes, and that's really bad just on it's own.  And other than the relationship with Robert what exactly does he bring to the table?  Is he innovative offensively?  Sure,...I guess, but there are other coaches that run a spread style offense that seems "innovative".  The success that Kelly's had with the Eagles has really clouded people's judgement.  You have to give Kelly a few more seasons to honestly and fairly judge him as an NFL coach.  Look at with the Skins did in RG3's first season -- they had teams bamboozled with that hybrid spread/pro offense.  This year not so much.  Partly because RG3 came back too early but mostly because teams adjusted. 

With Snyder's track record I'm sure he will certainly at least try to talk to Briles, and if he's really that interested in coming to the NFL there's a good chance he's the next Redskins HC.  My hope is that he doesn't have enough interest to leave the very good situation he's currently in.

Also, gonna guess we'll get none of the coaches you iisted on your wishlist.

No....I'm not basing it on one game.  Briles was the guy I "LIKED" but I wasnt in love with the choice. I just liked what I "thought" he brought to the table. Lets just say that I saw a LOT of flaws that have me seriously re-thinking my original analysis of him.

Okay....You love to knock peoples opinions (and thats all it is, no one knows for sure)......lets hear your plan.

Never said you weren't able to express you're opinion, I just don't see that lineup as any thing but a fantasy...that would end poorly. My plan? Is too let Bruce do his job and judge how he did that job several years from now and not knee jerk with the OH NOES. I never liked hiring a legend and giving him full control. The FO should be as Bruce is lining it up to be. Even Gibbs 2.0 had it's issues. I want a GM, a Personnel dept. and a HC all working together. I hope that is what we are getting now, hope, but we shall see. 

Oh and remember I look at this like a convo among friends in a bar who had just enough to drink to be blunt but not fight, lol. 

You know what sometimes, just sometimes. LOL............Man the Colts lost the Superbowl against the Saints!!! Peyton Manning won the Superbowl with a below average defense and a high powered offense vs the Bears who had a better defense than offense. Same thing with the Saints. Peyton Manning threw a pick which sealed the victory vs the Saints for them to win. The Saints defense that year was decent. Certainly NOT the 2000 Ravens D or the current Seattle/ San Fran/ Panthers D.

And like I said, that Saints defense led the NFL in turnovers that year if they weren't top 5.

EDIT: and guess which team in the playoffs was number 1 in total defense in 2006-2007?

It rhymes with Dolts.

Pun inteneded  :lol::D

To clarify EVERYONE's point except yours...

There is a huge difference between giving up high 20s and 30s in college football and ROUTINELY giving up in the 40s and 50s.

One shows you can make stops or get turnovers, the other shows you rival a speed bump.

That's the point. 

But continue to educate everyone else on the board.

Ok then let me help you.........how many times did Baylor give up 40-50 pts a game this year? You certainly don't understand my point and it shows because the only thing you're talking about is scoring and stats. And without telling you more of what you don't know I'll end it there.

I actually played the game at the highest level as I've said many times before on this board. I don't have to prove anything to you as I know you don't have a clue.

But since you want to talk about stats........how many programs have Briles turned from a losing organization to become "WINNING" ones? How many has Chip Kelly? That's where you find the ingredients to "POTENTIALLY" turn an organization around with the "RIGHT" staff.

And before you make the mistake and reach for Philly........do some research on Andy Reid history with the team instead a couple of seasons.

Archived