Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: "RGIII would face less scrutiny if he eschewed fame like his soph peers"

Master Blaster

Surely it says something about his character. I mean people rob cheat and steal for more money. This guy says hey I don't need an extra >5million/year. I'm going to work hard and make sure its earned. How is that not revealing. I like what he stands for.

As an aside I bet he saves that money and doesn't go broke.

When I see rg3 donate a million to the phillipines or whatever then we can say hey look what rg3 did positive with his expanxed earning power. Right now it seems like its a cash grab with a different headline from rg2 or a misquote. Dude needs to keep his head down and work.

I think you may be the only person I've heard calling lucks character into question. Also luck is successful at his craft, lol.

. I like what he stands for.

What does he stand for, exactly? What does Griffin not stand for (in your eyes)?

When I see rg3 donate a million to the phillipines or whatever then we can say hey look what rg3 did positive with his expanxed earning power

Why? (no that I'm saying he's never donated anything). Does donating money make you a good person? Does donating money show that you have character?

. Right now it seems like its a cash grab with a different headline from rg2 or a misquote.    
Dude needs to keep his head down and work.

And exactly what leads you to believe that he hasn't done that? His commercials? Or was it "All in for week on"? or "Operation Patience"? Thats sufficient evidence to suggest that he wasn't working his ass off? I think its pretty clear to me that a guy who comes back from a knee operation as quickly as he did, was clearly not twiddling his thumbs in a room full of mirrors, thinking of the next great commercial for him to star in

RE: 

Right now it seems like its a cash grab with a different headline from rg2 or a misquote.

And you have what, exactly to base that off of, besides your own opinion?

I think you may be the only person I've heard calling lucks character into question.

Really? Where?

I could've sworn that true character has everything to do about the person you are when no one is watching, and less to do about how many commercials you turn down, or millions that you don't donate to the Phillipines. 

That was in the article. It said he turned down endorsements because he wanted to achieve success at his craft first.

You sure about that?

Bodyarmor sports drink: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-17/colts-quarterback-andrew-luck-dumps-gatorade-for-a-stake-in-upstart-bodyarmor

Nike: http://nikeinc.com/news/nike-signs-quarterback-andrew-luck

Mc10: http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/10/09/exclusive-andrew-luck-signs-on-with-anti-concussion-tech-startup/

Indiana based headphones company: http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=60933

Pannini Trading Cards: http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=60933

Riley Hospital: http://www.ibj.com/colts-qb-luck-riley-hospital-reach-promotional-deal/PARAMS/article/37574

Direct Sports Link: http://www.directsportslink.com/speaker/andrew-luck

Klipsch Speakers: http://fox59.com/2013/08/19/luck-snags-endorsement-deal-with-klipsch/#axzz2lXjm2Sfc

FIFA Soccer video game: http://www.awfuladvertisements.com/2012/september/snoop-lion-andrew-luck-and-fifa-13-invite-you-to-join-the-club.html

That's a lot compared to Subway, Gatorade and Adidas. 

According to Luck's contract, all endorsements had to be approved by the Colts, hence why he had few in 2012. 

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=794278-colts-endorsements-sticking-point-in-andrew-luck-deal

and

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a0d576/article/andrew-luck-colts-reportedly-stuck-on-endorsements

Why has'nt he been in more commercials than RGIII? I dono, I mean he has more endorsements...maybe he's not that interesting or marketable? Maybe he doesn't relate or inspire John Q. Public? Or maybe it's because his commercials arent show in our region, after all five of his sponsors are based in Indiana. 

I think he needs to put down the endorsements and concentrate more on ball security and not going to sleep for three quarters. 

Andrew%20Luck_0.jpg

Griffin isn't the son of an NFL QB (Oliver Luck) or a trial lawyer (Mr. Wilson) instead he is the son of soldiers. Plus he plays for the 3rd most valuable franchise located near the nations capital (a huge market). The Redskins have 80+ years of legacy and contrary to what many believe, are a popular team.

Do people marketing companies are targeting really care about any of that?  I can't imagine too many young people out there concerned with a franchises "rich history". The Cardinals have a long history.  No one cares about the Cardinals.  My eyes kind of glaze over when people talk about professional sports franchises in too reverent a tone.  Baseball writers are the worst offenders and I hate them for it.  

I can't imagine people are too down on Wilson or Luck over the professions of their fathers either.  Having a QB pedigree seems to be considered a great thing thanks to the Manning family.  I mean how often does the sports media force feed us stories about Archie?  I'm always amused by the little comments assuring us that Cooper is in no way a crushing disappointment.   The whole "trial lawyers" are the devil thing is mostly confined to political circles and I doubt young people with intent on spending money care much about it.  I don't think any of the three have the media's ideal background.  They prefer broken homes because nothing sells like a good "from nothing to superstar" story.  That's certainly why Michael Oher is a name recognized nationally because lets face it no really cares about right tackles unless they need one.  

I think the reasons RG3 has been able to sign more endorsement deals than Luck or Wilson is simpler than all that and started before their NFL careers really had time to produce results.

Wilson was a late round pick that didn't get nearly as much attention in college or in the draft.  When he did come up in draft chatter someone would always talk about how he's entirely too short to be a fully grown man.  Could such a tiny creature even survive in the NFL?  Why I don't even think he could see around his own lineman!  I don't see the big shoe companies chasing around mid round draft picks that can't be easily spotted in a crowd.  

He's shining now though... 

nike_russell_wilson_ad.jpg

You tell'em DangeRuss 

Luck said he didn't want to do endorsements and despite him being insanely popular, to the point where guys like our own Bubblescreen swoon at the mention of his name.  Plus the Colts had to approve his endorsements and their owner was probably too drunk to get around to doing anything useful.  I think that his unwillingness to focus on anything other than being the football messiah is part of the reason.  The other is that he looks like the Geico caveman.  

SeparatedAtBirth_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of Luck soon however, because despite all his talk he's going to cash in.  That's what pro sports is all about.   

Compared to those guys RG3 was everything the corporate marketing departments could ask for.  He won a Heisman trophy, famously beating out Andrew Luck, and as exciting a QB in college as anyone had ever seen.  He wasn't too short and he wasn't likely to trigger a lawsuit from an insurance giant upset about a stolen marketing gimmick.  Plus he could speak clearly and his cool hair would make him appeal to young people.  Let's face it, when you're selling expensive performance socks you'd better be marketing to young people.

I still don't know how people compare luck's supporting cast to rg3's. Not taking too much away from him, but he led the league in turnovers last year and still won 10 games. You don't do that with a bad supporting cast.

His o line also isn't as bad as people make it out to be, especially this year. And his receivers suck even with Wayne? Have you seen our receiving corp? TY hilton is way better than our second guy, and Wayne is better than garcon. I'll give you that he had no running game last year, but this year they are fine.

We've won one game with rg3 accounting for fewer than 220 yards in a supposedly run first offense. Luck has won 6 such games in what was a much more pass happy offense. I would love if the rest of our team would step up in a game and take some of the burden off rg3. Luck is a great qb, but he's also in a better situation.

This article comes as another example of media whores jumping on the bus. What does Ashley Fox know about men leading men? All I see here is she was late in line for the buffet on this whole leadership topic and even stole Santana's "me" and "I" line and used it as her own.  Maybe Ashley should write an article about how winning football games galvanizes you from media whores. Last year RG3 was the second coming of Christ and the poster boy for athletes.  This year with a losing record apparently he is a me first piece of ****.  I am tired of it already.

It is possible to still be a leader, still work hard and start enjoying the smell of your own flatulence a little too much, which is what I think happened to RG3. He's not the first or last 23 year old professional athlete to fall into that trap but there's no reason he can't learn from it.

Bingo!

It has nothing to do with endorsements or being on Subway ads. It's thing like producing your own documentary about yourself that details your rehab.... I think that's the kind of stuff that likely rubbed some teammates the wrong. I don't think anyone doubts how hard RG worked to get back... But the info on it went over the top. And it wasn't fueled JUST by Adidas... RG was all over it.

Again, its nothing that should/will derail his career or ruin his relationship with teammates. But it did go overboard and created a fatigue factor.

The character of a man is put to the test during difficult times.  Anyone can look a leader while things are going great.

What we are seeing is RGIII's character being tested.  So far, I have not been impressed.

How about being 3 and 6?  That's pretty bad. I would consider that "difficult times."  Character-testing time  And the person you are unimpressed by proceeded to lead the team to 7 straight wins.  So how did his character then, as described by Sal Palantonio in Hokie Skins Fan's post above, suddenly disappear this year?  

Here's the right answer. It didn't.  But all of the short-sighted naysayers who can't think beyond the latest loss are panicking, and just about ready to run the kid out of town.  It's absurd and, frankly, sad.

Bingo!

It has nothing to do with endorsements or being on Subway ads. It's thing like producing your own documentary about yourself that details your rehab.... I think that's the kind of stuff that likely rubbed some teammates the wrong. I don't think anyone doubts how hard RG worked to get back... But the info on it went over the top. And it wasn't fueled JUST by Adidas... RG was all over it.

Again, its nothing that should/will derail his career or ruin his relationship with teammates. But it did go overboard and created a fatigue factor.

And you know this how?

Btw, the documentary was originally going to include your two favorite QBs: Wilson and Luck. However Luck pulled out because he signed an endorsement deal with body armor sports drinks. Not sure why Russell pulled out, maybe it was his Madden commercials with Kapernick.

All nonsense, Griffin has struggled this year yes, but he has the work ethic, drive and leadership to overcome it. Just needs an off season to work on his craft. Is it any wonder most athletes ignore the media? They say he needs to act humble, yet its the media that blows up every word out of his mouth. Again, all non sense.

When you play in a sport as violent as the NFL, where every play is potentially your last play, how can you ask these guys not to cash in on opportunities like spending a few hours in the offseason to film a quick commercial?

Imagine if that injury last year ended Robert's career.  Would he have been smart in retrospect to turn down every endorsement?

What the article also fails to mention is that RGIII's role on making this a winning team last season was much bigger than Wilson's, Luck's, and Kaep (possibly combined).

The team Robert played on in 2012 and in 2013 has the smallest margin for error of any of these teams. He can't afford to make a mistake ever or the game is pretty much over.  Contrast that with being on teams that have a good defense and/or better teams around them and it gives the QB the allowance and time to "grow into" the role of being a leader.

When you are on a winning team, the questions are always easy and the the answers are even easier.  There is nothing ground breaking that Luck or Wilson are doing, it's typical "gee whiz everyone around me is awesome" scripted non-sense.  It is what EVERY QB says when they are winning games.  

Notice how the article never quotes Brandon Marshall as saying anything about Robert not being a leader, it is just a random quote about Wilson, but they turn it into a knock against Robert even though Marshall said nothing of the sort.

I always wondered how much pressure would be taken off RG3 say if he had a some resemblence of Wilson's Defense.  I really think that this has been such an overlooked fact.  It is really tough week in and week out to have all the pressure on your shoulders when your defense has been this abysmal. 

Winning cures all. So this humble pie is crap. Either you love or hate the guy. He isn't doing anything different than last season personality wise. Last season when he was pulling rabbits out of hats and making the Empire State building disappear we all loved him and couldn't say enough. The kid hits hard times and we have faction ready to serve him up.

And you know this how?

Btw, the documentary was originally going to include your two favorite QBs: Wilson and Luck. However Luck pulled out because he signed an endorsement deal with body armor sports drinks. Not sure why Russell pulled out, maybe it was his Madden commercials with Kapernick.

I wonder why this post got no response....lol

And where is Cliffmark?

I love when ppl talk out of their ass and then have hard facts thrown in their face.

Great post Boss_Hogg

Would he have been smart in retrospect to turn down every endorsement?

Yes.  When you bleed Burgandy and Gold...your sole mission is to bring the Lombardi to Washington DC.

Any time not spent in the weight room or film room during the offseason is time the enemy is using to their advantage.

This, in large reason, is why RGIII has fallen behind this year in his growth curve.

And you know this how?

I know this because Robert Griffin III is listed as an executive producer in the credits. I was unable to find any info about the other two getting scratched from the doc, but if that is the case, they obviously totally shifted gears as it would make no sense for Wilson and Luck to be featured in a doc about RG's rehab.

Yes.  When you bleed Burgandy and Gold...your sole mission is to bring the Lombardi to Washington DC.

Any time not spent in the weight room or film room during the offseason is time the enemy is using to their advantage.

This, in large reason, is why RGIII has fallen behind this year in his growth curve.

You know nothing.

I know this because Robert Griffin III is listed as an executive producer in the credits. I was unable to find any info about the other two getting scratched from the doc, but if that is the case, they obviously totally shifted gears as it would make no sense for Wilson and Luck to be featured in a doc about RG's rehab.

An exec producer credit means nothing. You really think he put down the coin to finance the documentary and its promotion? Come on. That IS what exec producers do. Look you are a pro Cousins guy. No need to couch your opinions in some facade of objectivity.

I'm not saying RGIII is perfect, but our society and media loves to put people on a pedestal and then tearn them down.. it didn't take them long to do it with RGIII.  Amazing.. last season the media loved him and the instant the guy shows he's human, they jump all over him.  I guess we will see what he is really made of now.  Something tells me he's going to overcome this.

Archived