Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: "RGIII would face less scrutiny if he eschewed fame like his soph peers"

Master Blaster

Pretty spot on IMO. 

Some people called him out on this in the summer.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10020440/washington-redskins-qb-robert-griffin-iii-take-cue-soph-qb-peers-leadership

Brandon Marshall noticed it right away.

It wasn't just that Russell Wilson was incredibly quick, or that he was accurate or tough. He was all of those things, but there was more to it.

"He's a born leader," Marshall said last year after Seattle beat Chicago in only Wilson's 12th career start. "I listened to the guy talk. I watch how he conducts himself, how he handles himself. That's a guy I can watch and learn from."

If Marshall, an eight-year veteran and four-time Pro Bowler, thought he could learn something from Wilson, surely up-and-coming star Robert Griffin III could do the same.

Griffin would also be wise to take a peek at the way Andrew Luck is conducting himself in Indianapolis. Those would be two excellent role models for Griffin.

And to think last year Sal Pal was talking about RG3 in the following way:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/03/sal-paolantonio-says-rgiii-could-lead-men-into-battle/

“I covered four out of the last five games of Robert Griffin III,” Paolantonio said. “I’ve got to tell you, setting all the astonishing statistical superlatives for a moment — set that all aside. Here’s what I really like about this guy, being around him four out of the last five weeks, watching him up close, talking to players and coaches about him.

“And I don’t use military metaphors loosely, because I was a Navy officer,” he went on. “I think it can be trite and silly. But age 22? I know what it takes to be a good one. He’s got the command, the presence, the charisma, the poise, the generosity of spirit, the personal physical courage, the toughness, the dynamic range of understanding that you have to treat [different personalities] differently if you want to be the leader of a large group of men.

“You could put this guy, Robert Griffin III – and I know he has a military background – you could put him in a Marine Corps officers uniform right now and he could lead men into battle. And I don’t ever say that about football players, because I know what it takes to do that. But he’s got IT.

I do not deny that rg3 has jumped into the limelight and it kind of backfired but i damn well know he is the leader of the team.. **** happens the team as a whole has a a hell of a lot of work to do and rg3 reinjuring his knee and not being himself did not help but he is just as much the leader of the team as wilson or luck.. you tend to get more **** thrown at you if you have a losing record, he does not have to act or be anyone else all he has to do is eat humble pie.

The character of a man is put to the test during difficult times. Anyone can look a leader while things are going great.

What we are seeing is RGIII's character being tested. So far, I have not been impressed.

I am waiting till the end of the offseason to see how he acts before i get nervous, im not defending rg3 ..sometimes it takes certain individuals a little longer to eat humble pie.

I am waiting till the end of the offseason to see how he acts before i get nervous, im not defending rg3 ..sometimes it takes certain individuals a little longer to eat humble pie.

I would agree with this.  I was impressed with RGIII's humility last year.  I think a lot of things got between him and success this season and he is looking for someone else to blame now.  Always hardest to blame the man in the mirror.

I would agree with this. I was impressed with RGIII's humility last year. I think a lot of things got between him and success this season and he is looking for someone else to blame now. Always hardest to blame the man in the mirror.

amen, everyone is their own worst critic , i think once he gets time to think and look back it will help him in the long run.

Typical hypocritical ESPN B.S.

RG3 didn't do himself any favors with his "all in for Week 1 Routine" I grant that, but if you think the sports media at large couldn't wait to build this guy up fast enough - well I don't know what to say.

They knew Rg3 would be a popular figure from the nickname, to the highlights, to the yes - even the fact that he was a well spoken black person at the QB position - all of it factored into the sports media perception of riding him in every story while he was hot.

Now they want to turn around and double dip on his struggles b/c hey he can be a popular polarizing figure as well in bad times.

When (not if) RG3 turns it around in the future they'll be right there ready to deify him again.

This is overkill - complete overkill everything he says or does is being magnified way out of proportion.  I'm taking a deep breathe and paying zero heed to character judgements on a 23 year old during his "tough" times.  The whole thing is silly - if they were winning he'd be the new leader of the next generation of QB's....but since they aren't he's "immature".

This season can't end fast enough.

If the Seahawks were 3-7, and the Redskins were already a lock for the playoffs, would this article have been written in the opposite manner?

Both young QBs are excellent leaders. Period. Wilson happens to play for a team I despise, but I have deep respect for him. RG3 is having one of the best sophomore QB seasons of anyone in a long while (I'd argue he's been more impressive than Wilson on the field if we take all factors into account -- I don't see turnstiles in the Seahawks' interior line, for instance). Robert needs to improve, yes, but I think he's still performing better than any other QB would have in his situation (coming off a knee injury, having no offseason to learn the game, being forced to play in roughly the same offense as last year, etc).

In short, I feel that this article is extremely misguided and that RG3's critics are loud only because the Redskins are losing.

What the article also fails to mention is that RGIII's role on making this a winning team last season was much bigger than Wilson's, Luck's, and Kaep (possibly combined).

The team Robert played on in 2012 and in 2013 has the smallest margin for error of any of these teams. He can't afford to make a mistake ever or the game is pretty much over.  Contrast that with being on teams that have a good defense and/or better teams around them and it gives the QB the allowance and time to "grow into" the role of being a leader.

When you are on a winning team, the questions are always easy and the the answers are even easier.  There is nothing ground breaking that Luck or Wilson are doing, it's typical "gee whiz everyone around me is awesome" scripted non-sense.  It is what EVERY QB says when they are winning games.  

Notice how the article never quotes Brandon Marshall as saying anything about Robert not being a leader, it is just a random quote about Wilson, but they turn it into a knock against Robert even though Marshall said nothing of the sort.

RG3 is in a situation where every mistake is magnified......He's on a team with the worst special teams in 30 years....a lousy defense....sub standard pass protection and mediocre at best receivers.

What we're seeing right now is "ratings journalism"...people are going to watch and listen when you talk about the QB....they won't if you talk about special teams all day.

RG3 is in a situation where every mistake is magnified......He's on a team with the worst special teams in 30 years....a lousy defense....sub standard pass protection and mediocre at best receivers.

What we're seeing right now is "ratings journalism"...people are going to watch and listen when you talk about the QB....they won't if you talk about special teams all day.

sav rocca gives me nightmares

He'll keep his head down this offseason. I understand why he took on an ad campaign or two earlier this year; he was coming off of a pro bowl year and a huge opportunity to overcome a devastating injury and prove his toughness like AP did. Things didn't go well. He'll see it as a learning experience and be a better player for it next year.

As long as he can stay healthy, that is.

What the article also fails to mention is that RGIII's role on making this a winning team last season was much bigger than Wilson's, Luck's, and Kaep (possibly combined).

The team Robert played on in 2012 and in 2013 has the smallest margin for error of any of these teams. He can't afford to make a mistake ever or the game is pretty much over. Contrast that with being on teams that have a good defense and/or better teams around them and it gives the QB the allowance and time to "grow into" the role of being a leader.

When you are on a winning team, the questions are always easy and the the answers are even easier. There is nothing ground breaking that Luck or Wilson are doing, it's typical "gee whiz everyone around me is awesome" scripted non-sense. It is what EVERY QB says when they are winning games.

Notice how the article never quotes Brandon Marshall as saying anything about Robert not being a leader, it is just a random quote about Wilson, but they turn it into a knock against Robert even though Marshall said nothing of the sort.

Agree with you on Kap and Wilson... Adamantly disagree on Luck. They have the worst OL in the league, very mediocre (I think less than mediocre) RBs, and a solid, but not special receiving corps (and that is with Wayne healthy). Their defense is ok, but not special.

He has been phenomenal... Not mistake free by any means... But through a year and a half, he's the best QB I've ever seen in the NFL... And I'm including the HOF'ers I've seen from start to finish like Aikman, Young, Favre, etc

Griffin definitely isn't producing like we all know he can, but neither is the rest of this team and organization. But for people to start saying he's not a good leader, especially after all we heard last year is he's a great leader, is just idiotic. I'm not even going into how many QB's had bad 2nd seasons. I think Griffin will be just fine and very dangerous in his 3rd year. Now fire Haslett damn it! 

This is all setting RG3 up nicely for a redemption story.  Hopefully he has a great offseason, works hard, and shreds the NFL like he did last year so we get glowing stories about how he's done a 180 and is all of a sudden an amazing leader.

So tired of the anti RG3 crap going on lately.  The media loves to tear down those who they build up.  Winning takes care of everything....if this team has a winning season next year, everything will be forgotten.

One thing to remember, is that being a leader in the 2012 season doesn't automatically guarantee that you're still the leader in the 2013 season, or beyond. If you start doing things that shake peoples' confidence in you, then sometimes your leadership might start being questioned.

That said, I think many Skins players look to Griffin as one of their leaders, and he's got a great foundation to build on as he goes forward into the next season. These trying times are good crucible for his development; if he stays the course, he'll showcase his team resolve, a vital ingredient for leadership.

In closing, I agree with many on this board who note how "toxic" the local media has been while covering the Skins troubles this season. A lot of these local media folks are the ultimate trolls and help to feed the national 'mediot' coverage.

It's not "spot on." It's more stupid BS reading between the lines and twisting words by media members seeking to sell a narrative. If a QB is down on his luck, many media members will be there to kick him in the stomach. The more spotlight a QB has on him, the more amplified this all gets.

Here's the thing about Luck and Wilson, they are in boring little towns. RG3 is in the country's capital, in a town that is heavily football-first, he's last season's rookie of the year, he's the most exciting to watch, and he rehabbed from a serious injury. 

RG3 is a leader. Anybody who says otherwise is either selling something or blinded by anger from a lost season and taking it out on the team's focal point. Panthers are winning now, and suddenly everyone has shut up with the Cam bashing. Same thing will happen with RG3. When the losing stops, so will this stupid reaching.

Translation:

Wilson and Luck are winning = Great Leaders who stay out of the limelight

RG3 is losing = Bad leader who loves the limelight

I hate losing, but the worst part now is all the non-stories that become stories because of the losing.

I was gonna postin this thread...but this is it.

Nothing to see here, move on.

Damn I hope we win big Mon night and go on a 3 game tear. Not to have a pseudo hope at the playoffs or anything sensational. Just to shut everyone the hell up.

We are going to be a GREAT team.

Agree with you on Kap and Wilson... Adamantly disagree on Luck. They have the worst OL in the league, very mediocre (I think less than mediocre) RBs, and a solid, but not special receiving corps (and that is with Wayne healthy). Their defense is ok, but not special.

He has been phenomenal... Not mistake free by any means... But through a year and a half, he's the best QB I've ever seen in the NFL... And I'm including the HOF'ers I've seen from start to finish like Aikman, Young, Favre, etc

Im with you on wilson...i love how people rave about an unheralded 3rd round pick from wisconsin who goes to a stacked team with absolutely NO PRESSURE to succeed, and then they compare him, the guy who always has the same face and inspires no one with his demeanor, to someone like Robert, who came to a franchise in ruins EXPECTED to be the savior (and succeeded)...And to think there was a guy on nfl.com who said Glennon is already better than Robert. Again, another guy whos playing with house money in a medicore team.

But im upping the ante on Andrew Luck. He came to a so-so team, but with a receiver like Wayne (we know what happened when he went down) and to a franchise used to winning year after year. Again, no pressure to deliver right away, even though he did in a very convincing fashion. But again, it doesnt compare to the expectations put on RG3. He's having some growing pains and learning the hard way from his mistakes, but these other two guys cant even tie his shoelaces, especially with all thats he's had to go thru.

Archived