Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does (NOT should) Shanahan get a fifth year as head coach?

Mursilis

I think it'd be useful to have a thread focused on whether Snyder keeps Shanahan for the fifth year and/or offers an extension, or decides to go a different direction at the end of this year, especially if the team continues to play poorly.  There's already threads on whether Shanahan should be fired, but I'm wondering if he actually will be. 

Personally, I think that while fan discontent will continue to grow as the season plays on over the final 6 games, I can't see Snyder firing Shanahan.  The cap penalty gives Shanahan some cover for the current poor record, and I don't see any "must-have" head coaching candidate out there right now.  Snyder probably doesn't want to revive his reputation as an impatient, impetuous owner, either.  I do not, however, have any 'insider' knowledge. 

Anybody heard anything else about Snyder and Shanahan's continued employment? 

Yes.

When he took the gig in January 2010 he mentioned that it's gonna take five years before the Skins can be contenders. Take him for his word and let him finish out his contract. If the team still sucks in 2014 then we should thank him for the NFC East title in 2012 and move on. 

Keith Burns? Eh I've already seen enough. I think he needs to be relieved after 2013. Only the Redskins would replace Danny Smith with someone worse.

Haz? Man I'm not sure. I wish Lou Spanos was still on the team, he was very underrated as an LB coach. The guy that REALLY scares me is Bob Slowik. Slowik has led notoriously bad defenses in Denver. Replacing Haz with Slowik wouldn't improve anything.

It depends on whether Snyder realizes that he needs to seperate the head coach and gm positions.

If Dan realizes that those positions need to be held by different people; then I think he will leave the decision up the Shanny. He will tell Shanny, he will get the fifth year plus an option for a 6th year but only as head coach. A seperate person would be hired to handle GM duties.   My guess given that; Shanny would resign.

If Danny decides that the coach and GM will still be the same person; then my guess he asks for changes to the coaching staff.  Shanny refuses and Danny then fires him.

So, in the end I think Shanny will not be back in 2014.

If he fires Burns and Haslett and replaces them with actual, quality coordinators than yes he deserves a fifth year. If not then the answer is no. I'm willing to fire Shanahan to get Haslett far, far away from this team.

This is as real of a statement as it gets but I wish it was that simple.  It's obvious RG3 and Kyle do not get along and it's going to ultimately be the end.

It depends on whether Snyder realizes that he needs to separate the head coach and gm positions.

So, in the end I think Shanny will not be back in 2014.

Isn't Allen put out there as a sort-of GM (even though we all know Shanahan really picks the players)?  I think you're right that Shanahan isn't going to tolerate being stripped of any power at all, or forced into firing any part of his coaching staff, but I don't see Snyder forcing his hand like that.  I think Snyder really wants to show he's changed and he's ready to be patient.  Of course, it's really going to depend on how the last 6 games play out, and if the team starts to really turn on Shanahan.  A final record of 4-12 and a team openly questioning the coaching staff could change my thoughts on whether Shanahan survives. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that Shanahan is going to find out about some as yet undiagnosed "health condition" in January and is going to need a year off to deal with that.

Hadn't thought of that, but that's an interesting idea!  Shanahan could avoid the indignity of getting fired, and Snyder could avoid looking like "same old Snyder" but also get a new coach!  But does Shanahan want to play along with such a scheme? 

I think Snyder is scared to death to appear "impatient" and "the same old Dan Snyder"

Haz and Burns go, Mike gets a 1-2 year extension 

I agree with this...Snyder will keep Shanahan due to perception, if nothing else. I hope he communicates that to the coach so that Mike doesn't go "all in" to win a couple meaningless games. I'd rather Mike use this time wisely for some longer-term benefit.

There was a thread in here that was 60/40 yes on him finishing his contract at least, but that was before the Philly game. Bet its closer to 50/50 now, maybe less.

But I agree that we should give him an extension even if he's on the hot seat just so he doesn't go into next season as a lame duck coach. If he misses the playoffs next year, fire him, but don't let the players look at him as a coach on his way out the door. Otherwise all this talking to the media could be hella worse next year with a truly lost locker room...

He needs to win at least 2 more games. 4-12 or worse and he goes. 6-10 or better and he stays. 5-11...could go either way.

The really intriguing question is, would Snyder keep him on for yr 5 without giving him an extension? I see this as a possibility, and personally it's what I would do. Then we can see if the players will push the envelope to keep their coach, or if he's lost the locker room.

I'm ready to move on from Shannahan, but I think he's going to stay.  Other then Gibbs, Shannahan is reportedly the HC Snyder always wanted.  I think he'll stick with him at least 1 more year.

That plus Shannahan doesn't act like a coach who's on the hotseat.  They're 3-7 and playing with no urgency yet Shannahan's demeanor is calm like he knows Snyder has his back. 

If the season ended today he would get his fifth year. The last 6 games are going to bury him. The record is whats going to get him fired at the end of the year. These Redskins aren't winning another game. You might think I'm being extreme but I'll come back into this thread after each loss

and  :)

Notice the dead man walking has no extension. 

I'm ready to move on from Shannahan, but I think he's going to stay.  Other then Gibbs, Shannahan is reportedly the HC Snyder always wanted.  I think he'll stick with him at least 1 more year.

That plus Shannahan doesn't act like a coach who's on the hotseat.  They're 3-7 and playing with no urgency yet Shannahan's demeanor is calm like he knows Snyder has his back. 

Doesn't he still get paid if he gets fired (vs. quit)?  Heck, if I had that contact, I'd be pretty chill too.  I might even be hoping to get fired - a year off with a $7M parting bonus would be sweet!! 

A few things have to happen for him to keep his job.  For starters, we have to win some games, especially the Dallas game.  Nobody in Washington likes getting swept by Dallas, especially Snyder.  Shanahan also has to have some sacrificial lambs, those lambs being Haslett, Burns, and possibly his son.  I don't think he'll fire Kyle, but there might be some type of exit strategy for him.  There is no way he comes back for a 5th year if he plans on sticking with the current staff and status quo.

As much as I wish it weren't so, I think Shanahan, Kyle and Burns come back. Haslett goes and Shanahan picks a lackluster DC replacement and we go through the same song and dance next year. 

If Burns is back, that will be extremely disappointing.  The same with Haslett.

A few things have to happen for him to keep his job.  For starters, we have to win some games, especially the Dallas game.  Nobody in Washington likes getting swept by Dallas, especially Snyder.  Shanahan also has to have some sacrificial lambs, those lambs being Haslett, Burns, and possibly his son.  I don't think he'll fire Kyle, but there might be some type of exit strategy for him.  There is no way he comes back for a 5th year if he plans on sticking with the current staff and status quo.

If Burns is back, that will be extremely disappointing.  The same with Haslett.

Exactly all these people basing  their opinion off nothing that has to do with happens on Sunday. Up until last Sunday this was a healthy football team. A healthy NFC East defending champion playing in a division thats worse than it was last year.

3-13 will get you fired 

4-12  will get you fired

5-11 is getting your son and everybody else fired 

Archived