Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does (NOT should) Shanahan get a fifth year as head coach?

Mursilis

What's the big issue with bringing him back to fulfill his contract without an extension? Couldn't he be extended at next year's bye or at this time next year if he's doing well?

It seems like extending a contract of a coach on the hot seat is just setting Snyder up to pay Shanahan to leave at some point. I realize coaches don't generally coach during the last year of their contract, but I guess I'm curious as to why?

Exactly all these people basing  their opinion off nothing that has to do with happens on Sunday. Up until last Sunday this was a healthy football team. A healthy NFC East defending champion playing in a division thats worse than it was last year.

3-13 will get you fired 

4-12  will get you fired

5-11 is getting your son and everybody else fired 

I don't think you can retain Shanahan without allowing him to make the decisions about his staff. Certainly you can talk to him about the coordinators, but he's the VP of Football Ops (I think he's even technically Bruce Allen's boss) so if he doesn't fire Kyle, who will?

What's the big issue with bringing him back to fulfill his contract without an extension? Couldn't he be extended at next year's bye or at this time next year if he's doing well?

It seems like extending a contract of a coach on the hot seat is just setting Snyder up to pay Shanahan to leave at some point. I realize coaches don't generally coach during the last year of their contract, but I guess I'm curious as to why?

I don't think you can retain Shanahan without allowing him to make the decisions about his staff. Certainly you can talk to him about the coordinators, but he's the VP of Football Ops (I think he's even technically Bruce Allen's boss) so if he doesn't fire Kyle, who will?

5-11 Danny is stepping in and giving Red Lobster the ultimatum of, "If you want to keep your job, Kyle,Keith, and Jim go and you loose your VP title" Either Mike accepts or he quits.

There is no reason why our sorry football team can't compete in this crappy division this season. Cap Penalties don't create lack of urgency and slow starts. Cap Penalties don't equate to playing for 40 mins instead of 60. 

Coaching does

What is the harm in extending him?  It is not like signing a player to a contract and then cutting him.  Extending him doesn't preclude him from being fired at any point next season or beyond. 

I think the reason why coaches don't go into their last year as a rule is that it is a low cost way to at least present the image of stability.  And to pay a small price to delay the whole contract status discussions. 

For the most part I'm willing to give Shanahan the benefit of doubt. He inherited a mess of a roster, and when the team was ready to make a leap, the league handcuffed Washington's ability to add talent with that absurd salary cap penalty.

I like a lot of the things Shanahan has done in the draft, but how  judge him going forward will be with how he handles the defensive issues of this team.

What is the harm in extending him?  It is not like signing a player to a contract and then cutting him.  Extending him doesn't preclude him from being fired at any point next season or beyond. 

I think the reason why coaches don't go into their last year as a rule is that it is a low cost way to at least present the image of stability.  And to pay a small price to delay the whole contract status discussions. 

There's no harm to extending him unless you're Dan Snyder and you just don't feel like gambling another $7M. Put it this way, if paying Shanahan $7M to do nothing next year is factoring into Snyder's decision at all, why would he put himself in that same situation next year?

Snyder can see how next year goes and ultimately let Shanahan earn an extension or let him walk based on results. I guess I just don't see the issue with letting him enter his final year of a contract. I don't think the players will be tricked by a one-year extension and think that a Shanahan statue is about to be commissioned. At the same time, Snyder can pull the trigger on an extension at any point next season when he's happy with what he's seeing.

An extension should be earned. Say what you want about the circumstances this year and much of it is valid, but Shanahan hasn't earned an extension yet.

For me...I'd do this:

Scenario 1: Team holds it together and plays well; Shanahan sprinkles in some youth and tailors the O to Griffin developing - go ahead and extend him.

Scenario 2: We crater and we have a weekly soap opera about leadership, Griffin, or whatever - fire him after the season

Scenario 3: Something in the middle - let him come back for year 5 and use that year as your tie-breaker

Hadn't thought of that, but that's an interesting idea!  Shanahan could avoid the indignity of getting fired, and Snyder could avoid looking like "same old Snyder" but also get a new coach!  But does Shanahan want to play along with such a scheme? 

I don't think it's a "scheme." It's just the way respected coaches bow out of second or third jobs. Bill Parcells has had 65 jobs and never been fired.

Yes, I sadly believe he will. 

And with it will go the the bulk of the next 5 years in a knock-on ripple effect from letting a lame duck HC blow the FA money and then having the next Coach start over trying to rectify the mess he inherits. 

Hail. 

Couldn't have said it better. I really hope you're wrong though, but I wouldn't bet on it.

All aboard the SS Redskins.

Couldn't have said it better. I really hope you're wrong though, but I wouldn't bet on it.

All aboard the SS Redskins.

I hope I'm wrong too H but you know the saddest thing of all? Even if we don't win another game this season and go 3-13, giving him the worst record of any Redskins HC his first four years; they'll STILL be many that will celebrate him surviving into a fifth season on here. 

Hail. 

And with it will go the the bulk of the next 5 years in a knock-on ripple effect from letting a lame duck HC blow the FA money and then having the next Coach start over trying to rectify the mess he inherits.

Hail.

I'll say this...if he isn't extended in the next week after all the bs locker room drama, then Id guess he may be in trouble

I

As for me, right now he is on the chopping block. But I am willing to see how the rest of the tear pans out(personally I think we go 3-13).

If by some miracle we finish .500 or even 7-9, then he stays for 1 more year with condition that he change his personal. Agree with many of you in regards to replacing Haslett and Burns, but I would also demote his son to QB Coach and have daddy call th plays. If Shanahan wants to he can hire Kubiak as a OC consultant to help, depending of course if Gary is fired from the Texans and his health is okay.

I'll say this...if he isn't extended in the next week after all the bs locker room drama, then Id guess he may be in trouble

I

You know what Brave. As much as I'm TOTALLY against Robert having lil' Danny's ear and the potential **** storm that could lead to with a HC ala the Portis dark days; if that's the only way that will bring about change then I hope Snyder is hanging on 10's EVERY thought. 

Hail. 

I hope I'm wrong too H but you know the saddest thing of all? Even if we don't win another game this season and go 3-13, giving him the worst record of any Redskins HC his first four years; they'll STILL be many that will celebrate him surviving into a fifth season on here. 

:huh: 

Dallas fans, I guess? 

I worry too that Shanahan will use FA to win now and try to save his job, thus signing a bunch of bad FA deals. We have seen the offense dominate at times so I could stomach one more year of the Shanahans to see what happens with a healthy Griffin, hopefully another solid WR and some O-line. Every other coach on the team needs to go. If Haslett is back next year fire Shanahan. The line has to be drawn. I keep waking up on Mondays expecting to see the Haslett Fired headline and can't fathom why it hasn't happened already. Get him outta here and let Morris ride the year out. How could things get any worse? Although I was saying the same thing about Smith for years and yet here we are somehow worse off *Facepalm*.

Yes.

When he took the gig in January 2010 he mentioned that it's gonna take five years before the Skins can be contenders. Take him for his word and let him finish out his contract. If the team still sucks in 2014 then we should thank him for the NFC East title in 2012 and move on. 

Keith Burns? Eh I've already seen enough. I think he needs to be relieved after 2013. Only the Redskins would replace Danny Smith with someone worse.

Haz? Man I'm not sure. I wish Lou Spanos was still on the team, he was very underrated as an LB coach. The guy that REALLY scares me is Bob Slowik. Slowik has led notoriously bad defenses in Denver. Replacing Haz with Slowik wouldn't improve anything.

I am basically the same with skins hogg ,  one part of me wants to kick shanny out for his handling of the seattle game and the fact that he started RG3 when he had no offseason and was not ready, but on the other hand I think if he would try to get a new DC ,ST Coaches and RG3 comes back healthy then hopefully what he said was true, I am not happy with him being GM though.

Yes.

When he took the gig in January 2010 he mentioned that it's gonna take five years before the Skins can be contenders. Take him for his word and let him finish out his contract. If the team still sucks in 2014 then we should thank him for the NFC East title in 2012 and move on. 

Keith Burns? Eh I've already seen enough. I think he needs to be relieved after 2013. Only the Redskins would replace Danny Smith with someone worse.

Haz? Man I'm not sure. I wish Lou Spanos was still on the team, he was very underrated as an LB coach. The guy that REALLY scares me is Bob Slowik. Slowik has led notoriously bad defenses in Denver. Replacing Haz with Slowik wouldn't improve anything.

I am basically the same with skins hogg ,  one part of me wants to kick shanny out for his handling of the seattle game and the fact that he started RG3 when he had no offseason and was not ready, but on the other hand I think if he would try to get a new DC ,ST Coaches and RG3 comes back healthy then hopefully what he said was true, I am not happy with him being GM though.

I am basically the same  boat with boss hogg ,  one part of me wants to kick shanny out for his handling of the seattle game and the fact that he started RG3 when he had no offseason and was not ready, but on the other hand I think if he would try to get a new DC ,ST Coaches and RG3 comes back healthy then hopefully what he said was true, I am not happy with him being GM though. I guess im bipolar when it comes to this situation.

Yes, unfortunately yes.

Snyder want's this to run it's course so he can earn his "patience badge" and stitch it on his sash.

That way he can point to it the next time he gets inspired and hires a "Zorn."

Bringing Shanahan back for one year is pointless, short of winning the East AND a playoff game, why would anyone want him to continue past his contract? Is this team even close to that? Really? It's a couple free agents away? Doesn't look like it.

This season has been one enormous disaster, all three phases have underperformed, the special teams and defense historically so.....this is what we get after three seasons of preparation? Pathetic.

He won in Denver b/c he gave John Elway a run game, last year was a fluke, it's fact, Shanahan sucks, bring on the next loser b/c at least with somebody new there is a sliver of a chance of an upside.

P.S.:

I will admit he's good at drafting so if he can still advise with regards to that, great, just don't have him prepare or actually interact directly with any of the players.

Hail. 

Odds are you will be right.   I think it's been said in this thread and several other threads that Shanny said he needs 5 years to do the job.   I think that's B.S.   Frankly, the only way I would even allow Shanny to have a year 6; is if the Redskins are in the NFC Championship game and I seriously doubt we will even be anywhere close that.

Archived