Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does (NOT should) Shanahan get a fifth year as head coach?

Mursilis

Unfortunately I think he's back - only because Snyder doesn't want to pay him for nothing the last year of his contract.  The real question for me is whether he is made to fire Haslett.  If so, we better have a real 3-4 coordinator to replace him.

He won in Denver b/c he gave John Elway a run game, last year was a fluke, it's fact, Shanahan sucks, bring on the next loser b/c at least with somebody new there is a sliver of a chance of an upside.

I think last year's run was largely due to players being offended that Shanahan dissed them in the media at 3-6 and basically acted like the season was over (time to evaluate for next year).  I think they united to "prove coach wrong".  That type of negative motivation only works for so long though - particularly if they don't have respect for his leadership or lack thereof.

I know some are hung on the, "It's going to take five years to be a contender", speech from Shanny. That's all well and good, but by year four there should be some resemblance of improvement.

Last year was great, we took the league by storm and surprise. Teams weren't surprised anymore this year. The read option had struggled this year on multiple teams. Thus, it's very unlikely that "golden 5th year" is going to pay off.

We haven't improved, we have regressed. Why even waste another year of RG's career on the shanahan? The time is now. We have some good pieces in place, with the proper coaching, could turn this around. We have some good young players, and we're getting a full cap next year. Save for not having a 1st rounder, this is a coaching candidates wet dream.

If he gives Shanahan a 5th year, mainly due to wanting to look good in the media by giving Shanahan his full contract length, when he gets his next coach and his record is worse than Shanahans does he get to fulfill his contract to? Sack him now.

I feel Snyder is being held hostage for past transgressions. Snyder is slowly learning that a team needs general managers not coaches make personnel decisions and coaches should just coach. I am highly assuming here but I think Snyder thought Shanahan would be like Gibbs 2.0 with the team making the playoffs 2 out of the 4 years but becoming a consistent 8-8 or better team throughout the process.

Kind of amazing the Snyder didn't extend Shanny last year after we won the NFC East.  Wonder if there was a reason why he didn't?  Could it be because of the RG3 situation/injury.  I would like to see a change personally.  However, the biggest problem this team has right now is defense.  Haslett will play a big part in whether Shanahan stays or goes, IMO.  IF Shanny doesn't fired Haslett, I would bet Shanahan get's fired.  IF Shanny fires Haslett he may get that 5th year to see if he can turn things around.  Raheem Morris is not the answer as the new defensive coordinator.  These are just my opinions.:-)

If you believe that TK has inside information, then his comment in this thread is revealing in that it would indicate that Shanny's fate depends on how he finishes up this campaign.

Don't know if this has been answered yet, but the main reason cited for not having the coach in a lame-duck year is that it is supposedly more attractive to free agents to come to your team if at least a perception of stability exists.

If he does get an extension, the question then becomes how long should he get?  There are folks who think that, due to the cap penalty over the past two seasons, that Shanny needs not just one, but two additional years to get this team back on track. Even though the penalty has hampered this club and is a legit reason to give Shanny a chance, I do think he has to produce at least a winning record in 2014 to avoid getting fired. 

Of course, there is also the argument advanced by some and other threads that because we are going to have a lot of cap space, that may be a reason to cut ties and have a new coach and GM come in fresh and influence the personnel decisions instead of potentially live with the consequences of what Shanny would do in 2014.

The reason that should NOT be advanced for keeping Shanahan is the fear of what Dan Snyder will do next if he has to pick a new coach. I think people had this notion that Mike was going to be our HC for 5-10 years and that Kyle was then going to be here for the next 20, and it just seemed too romantic for me.  Based on Shanny's performance to date, I couldn't see many begrudging Snyder if he decided to cut ties after 4 seasons.  And at the same time, folks should actually look forward to see if Snyder has indeed matured by seeing if he hires a relatively unknown coordinator and actually stays out of the way of said person.

If you believe that TK has inside information, then his comment in this thread is revealing in that it would indicate that Shanny's fate depends on how he finishes up this campaign.

Don't know if this has been answered yet, but the main reason cited for not having the coach in a lame-duck year is that it is supposedly more attractive to free agents to come to your team if at least a perception of stability exists.

If he does get an extension, the question then becomes how long should he get? There are folks who think that, due to the cap penalty over the past two seasons, that Shanny needs not just one, but two additional years to get this team back on track. Even though the penalty has hampered this club and is a legit reason to give Shanny a chance, I do think he has to produce at least a winning record in 2014 to avoid getting fired.

Of course, there is also the argument advanced by some and other threads that because we are going to have a lot of cap space, that may be a reason to cut ties and have a new coach and GM come in fresh and influence the personnel decisions instead of potentially live with the consequences of what Shanny would do in 2014.

The reason that should NOT be advanced for keeping Shanahan is the fear of what Dan Snyder will do next if he has to pick a new coach. I think people had this notion that Mike was going to be our HC for 5-10 years and that Kyle was then going to be here for the next 20, and it just seemed too romantic for me. Based on Shanny's performance to date, I couldn't see many begrudging Snyder if he decided to cut ties after 4 seasons. And at the same time, folks should actually look forward to see if Snyder has indeed matured by seeing if he hires a relatively unknown coordinator and actually stays out of the way of said person.

Couldn't have said it all better. Danny is in evualuation mode.

Coming off a division champ/10-6 season and to be 99% healthy (Hank is done for the year) there is no excuse this team is already eliminated from playoff contention and our division is terrible.

Every last game will have an impact on Dan's decision.

3-13 and Mike is out of here

It depends on if Snyder realizes that if Mike Shanahan comes back, so do Kyle Shanahan, Jim Haslett, and Keith Burns.

If Mike hasn't even hinted that Haslett needed to be fired two seasons ago, let alone now, what makes you think he's going to fire him when this season is over?

It's all banking on whether or not Dan Snyder notices that Mike is loyal to his coaches, whether or not those coaches produce, and that he's not going to relinquish any of his power.

People like to talk about the cap penalty. I'm more frightened of the idea of Mike Shanahan having all that cap money to spend.

Boy I tell you, if I hear another person tell me about this damn cap hit I am going to lose my mind. You have teams that rarely bring in free agents and have phenomenal years ala Green Bay because they draft well. IN THOSE TWO YEARS of cap penalty, name 8 free agents this team could have signed to make a difference on offense and defense that Shanahan could have recruited? Also let's start looking at Shanahan's draft in 2011 because these players are coming up on three years and this is when they should be contributing heavily. Mind the board in 2011, Washington had 12 draft picks.

Ironically, free agency is what got us into the cap penalty mess in the first place. Having the need to throw money at free agents by poor drafting. Feeling the need to bury contracts. The cap penalty was not just about that one uncapped year, it was more a lifetime achievement award, that is why only Dallas and Washington got slapped.  The teams with lots of cash had more flexibility to pay free agents contracts, and the ability to use creative financing, to make them go away. This spanned decades. We hate Mara but Mara was the one that paid the highest price being in the same division. Yes decades.

Mike has not done well dabbling into free agency anyways, Garcon aside. Chester was demoted to backup before we inked him, Morgan coming off a broken leg come to mind.

I think the KDawg record would show that while he makes some good draft choices, he does so with no regard for basic team needs, such as the lines. This is level 1 GMing he is failing.

Using the past 4 years as the measuring stick, I am not optimistic letting him spend to the ceiling in the last year of his contract is best for our team. Too bad we don't have a GM / checks and balance system. It's up to Dan. Ironic, isn't it?

Couldn't have said it all better. Danny is in evualuation mode.

Coming off a division champ/10-6 season and to be 99% healthy (Hank is done for the year) there is no excuse this team is already eliminated from playoff contention and our division is terrible.

Every last game will have an impact on Dan's decision.

3-13 and Mike is out of here

Hopefully Dan will still get rid of him regardless of the record.  I think we'll win 2 more games and finish 5-11.  Winning 2 meaningless games shouldn't make a difference as to being fired or not.   

I'm going to say no for this reason.

This offseason will be by far the most attractive for any coaching candidate.  Telling a prospect that they have 25 mil in cap room to shape their team is huge.  That way, they really can try to get a jump on their scheme.  Next year, that's largely gone.

If you keep Shanny you have to be thinking you want to keep him not just for next year, but for 3-4 years at least.  I don't know how given his overall record and his abysmal failures this year that you can have confidence that he's the guy.

How has switching head coaches every few years worked out for Dan so far? I think if Dan has changed, he needs give Mike an extension and see what he builds on the foundation he started. If Dan is the "same Ole Dan", he fires Mike and moves on. I think he gives Mike 1 more chance (extension).

If he does get an extension, the question then becomes how long should he get?  There are folks who think that, due to the cap penalty over the past two seasons, that Shanny needs not just one, but two additional years to get this team back on track. Even though the penalty has hampered this club and is a legit reason to give Shanny a chance, I do think he has to produce at least a winning record in 2014 to avoid getting fired. 

The reason that should NOT be advanced for keeping Shanahan is the fear of what Dan Snyder will do next if he has to pick a new coach. I think people had this notion that Mike was going to be our HC for 5-10 years and that Kyle was then going to be here for the next 20, and it just seemed too romantic for me.  Based on Shanny's performance to date, I couldn't see many begrudging Snyder if he decided to cut ties after 4 seasons.  And at the same time, folks should actually look forward to see if Snyder has indeed matured by seeing if he hires a relatively unknown coordinator and actually stays out of the way of said person.

The lame duck year also could impact assistant coaches.  If Shanny stays for a 5th, but makes changes to the coaching staff( ie fires Haslett and Burns) will he be able to attract qualified coaches to come here?  

I'm going to say no for this reason.

This offseason will be by far the most attractive for any coaching candidate.  Telling a prospect that they have 25 mil in cap room to shape their team is huge.  That way, they really can try to get a jump on their scheme.  Next year, that's largely gone.

If you keep Shanny you have to be thinking you want to keep him not just for next year, but for 3-4 years at least.  I don't know how given his overall record and his abysmal failures this year that you can have confidence that he's the guy.

You, and a lot of people in this thread, have answered the "Should Shanny be fired?" question, but not the "Does Shanny actually get fired?" question.  There's already a thread on whether a coaching change is a good idea at this point.  I'm more interested right now in whether that will in fact happen.  I'm still thinking it will not. 

I remember Zorn's final year, when the team was busy bottoming out, there were all sorts of signs Zorn wasn't going to last the year.  Sherman Smith was brought in and Zorn was stripped of play-calling power, Ceratto left and Bruce Allen was hired, and rumors of Snyder's conversations with Shanahan were everywhere.  It was pretty obvious as the season progressed that Zorn was a goner.  This year, there's none of that, at least that I've seen or heard - that's why I'm thinking Shanahan will stay. 

I've been in Shanny's corner all along now I'm having my doubts mostly b/c of the Philly game.  A must win game and the team as a whole has their worst game of the season.  We have an unheard of rookie returning punts who performs horribly when we could have had Moss back there.  We have no playmaker receivers on offense beyond Garcon and Reed while Fred Davis who could be a major match up problem lingers on the bench.  Our game plan sucked and RG3 looked like a inaccurate rookie.

If things progress like this, he has to go...

I think last year's run was largely due to players being offended that Shanahan dissed them in the media at 3-6 and basically acted like the season was over (time to evaluate for next year).  I think they united to "prove coach wrong".  That type of negative motivation only works for so long though - particularly if they don't have respect for his leadership or lack thereof.

You're completely right BraunMan92. This season is proof that they certainly don't give more than they have to for him and that there isn't this "team culture" in place that is busting it's *** to overcome a recovering QB and a young secondary.

what are you fellow Skins thoughts on the Redskins getting a defensive minded coach, defence needs the more work by far on this team and we need a offensive coach who can work the system RG3 needs. My choice would be Mike Zimmer as HC, thoughts?

Zimmer will never not the Bengals.  We've tried to get him here more than once.

I'm a defensive guy myself.  If you look at some of the better teams right now - Seattle, Carolina, New England, Denver... there is something in common.

And look at our last several HC. 

Norv, Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanny

There is also something in common.

It's rare to find a McCarthy or a Payton...

He will get his 5th year, we will be a winning team next year and he will get an extension. There are obvious glaring reasons we suck his year, they will be fixed and everyone will stop acting like we were superbowl contenders this seaon.

If I am inferring correctly from your post, I too think he will go into next year with no extension. No FA or assistant coach is any more likely to come here with some bogus, cosmetic extension.

I think he'll be given 2014 as his true evaluation. Barring another stroke of bad lukc, he'll have no excuses left (cap penalty, major off-season injury, etc.). If we are doing well during the season, Snyder can extend him at any time.

Archived