Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does (NOT should) Shanahan get a fifth year as head coach?

Mursilis

Scratch Aqib Talib because as you mentioned he was a traded player, Eric Winston was cut by the Texans, then cut by the Chiefs so he does not sound like a wise investment. Yanda resigned with the Ravens thus obvious he was not going any where while Vincent Jackson would have been a nice addition but could the team afford Garcon to boot. Eddie Royal signed but then he did not sign but he signed again with the Chargers. So out of that list of five, one player would have been worth an investment in Vincent Jackson.

My problem is Yanda was a third round draft pick while Eric Winston also was a third round pick. Mike Shanahan did not make the draft picks to protect the investment in RG3 because the team had plenty of third round draft picks but how where they used?  Jordan Reed is showing great potential and I like the kid very much but Fred Davis could have performed just as well. Josh LeRibeus is not even touching the field.

I don't think Winston fit the Chiefs scheme and I believe he was cut by the Texans because they had to pay other people and they had a younger RT coming in to replace him.  Like I said, I think VJax deal was similar to Garcons, so we may have been able to afford both.  But my point was, 18 million is at least 3 Grade A starters that we could have had at WR, RT, G or any other position of need and we could barely re-sign our own.  I TOO want to use the draft as the primary tool to stock the team, but with only 7 picks a year and some UDFAs, that is not enough.  You HAVE to sign "some" free agents and we can't be afraid to sign them just because of what Vinny did in 2000, 13 years ago.

Cap penalties did not have any effect on Mike's decision to hire Burns, to keep Haslett and hire all his staff, to keep his buddy Slowik on the defensive staff. Mike does not understand defense and yet he's made every single hire on that side of the ball and dumped it on Haslett. I believe a better ST and DC coach would not have those units as the worst in Redskins history. Even if they are fired in the offseason, I don't trust Mike to make the correct hires when history has shown that he doesn't make good hires on the defensive side.

Again, no one is saying the cap penalties were the ONLY thing as to why the team sucks.  We're saying it played a bigger part than what some are saying, like yourself.

I think Shanahan gets year five.

I think his "get out of jail free card" will be Haslett or Burns. Most likely Burns. And that will allow him, in the organization's eyes, the ability to coach year five of his contract.

However, it could also be a year he takes a step back in the coaching department and sees what Kyle can do. This could be a true tryout period for Kyle to see if he could be our next head coach.

(This is all pure speculation. There is no insider knowledge. None of this is based on anything other than wild speculation on my end. In choosing to engage in coversation about this, you must first acknowledge that this is guess and there is no first hand knowledge, second hand knowledge, or even third hand knowledge to be found within this opinion. There are no tea leaves to read. It is strictly an opinion. Thank you.)

Snyder already earned his patient badge with Steve Spurrier. Actually, Snyder has been more patient than a lot of NFL owners.

Does Snyder believe Shanny is going turn us into a legit team every season? Probably not. So why bother keeping Shanahan for a 5th season? Snyder may have committed to 5 years, but regressing in the process isn't what Snyder agreed to. To make it easier, I can hope Shanny retires in January. With next year's cap, it's wise to give a new coach that golden opportunity. Not only changes to coaching staff, but have a real front office with a GM calling the shots.

Wait, what?

Norv (following the division title and having Snyder pick the starting quarterback), Marty, Spurrier (two years and then Spurrier quit), Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan.

Since 1999 that's SIX head coaches.  SIX.  That's almost averaging two years a coach.  That's patience?

Wait, what?

Norv (following the division title and having Snyder pick the starting quarterback), Marty, Spurrier (two years and then Spurrier quit), Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan.

Since 1999 that's SIX head coaches.  SIX.  That's almost averaging two years a coach.  That's patience?

As already noted, Snyder did not fire all of them.  Spurrier quit, Gibbs retired, and Shanahan is still the coach. 

As already noted, Snyder did not fire all of them.  Spurrier quit, Gibbs retired, and Shanahan is still the coach. 

Yeah, rattling off the number of coaches is meaningless when judging Snyder's patience. It's fair to use the coaching turnover to judge his choices, but not his patience. For that, you have to simply take into account Norv, Marty, and Zorn. I have my opinions on each, but those are the only 3 coaches "in bounds" for this discussion.

Wait, what?

3/6 coaches was not fired. Gibbs/Steve quit. The firing of Norv/Zorn was reasonable. Firing Marty was wrong, but that was 11 years ago. Shanahan wasn't fired after his second season, even though we slightly regressed. The younger Snyder would have. I'm not a Snyder guy, but he's been patient enough with coaches for 10 years.

Averaging a coach every 2 seasons is normal for teams not finding sucess soon enough. Dallas has had 5 head coaches since 1999 and has been far more consistent than we have since 99. Being too patient for more than 3 seasons has it's risks, look what happened in Detroit during year 4 of the rebuilding project, 0-16 season in 2008. Most teams with the same coach for years were able to keep their jobs by having a winning season by the first or second season.

My god men!

Look at the Giants and Tom Coughlin.....his team sucks year after year he goes no where and they've seem to win 2 SB.

Where are the old days when coaches get time to build and work out the suckers from teams that aren't willing to gut it out week after week.

Shanahan should get extended.

• 2 weeks later...

It's clear Shanahan is gone now.

Until he's gone, I refuse to believe it. I feel like I'm the last fan standing lately, but I hope this is media feeding frenzy at its worst.

I would love nothing more than for Danny to come out this week and announce that Mike Shanahan has been offered an extension. Would be the ultimate **** you to the media who has been putting in their best efforts to stir **** up that wasn't there, and not to mention the BEST thing for this franchise right now.

I know I likely stand alone, but that's my $.02.

Hail.

Can someone be ignorant enough to think that he is going to stay let alone get an extension? They can't be that stupid can they? Can they?

I never said I THINK he's going to stay, but I do WANT him to stay. Stupid is thinking a new head coach will be better than the Super Bowl winning coach we currently have.

Fire the lame duck DC, keep Shanahan. Show me a better option. I'll wait.

Soo the near four years of losing makes you think things will get better ? Lol

I think continuity will. We'll likely never know, but I still think if Shanahan is given next year, we'll be right back in contention and not have to endure another rebuilding year. But instead, we're gonna probably burn it to the ground and have to start all over again.

At this point, NONE of us have a clue what will fix this **** storm, but personally, that's where I stand.

I never said I THINK he's going to stay, but I do WANT him to stay. Stupid is thinking a new head coach will be better than the Super Bowl winning coach we currently have.

Fire the lame duck DC, keep Shanahan. Show me a better option. I'll wait.

Oh my. Still riding the coattails of the Lombardi's from years ago, huh? You keep being naïve my friend because if the latest reports on Shanahasbeen and the decline of our play despite being one of the healthiest teams in the NFL isn't an indication of his inability to be a successful HC anymore I don't know what is. Hell, even the team that he won the Lombardi's with showed him the door.

Keep holding onto that seven game stretch last year my friend. I'll look at the overall state  of this team and it's no better now then it was when he arrived.

I think continuity will. We'll likely never know, but I still think if Shanahan is given next year, we'll be right back in contention and not have to endure another rebuilding year. But instead, we're gonna probably burn it to the ground and have to start all over again.

At this point, NONE of us have a clue what will fix this **** storm, but personally, that's where I stand.

You're right, but the **** storm is picking up more steam every week under Shanny and at this rate there isn't enough toilet paper for Shanny to wipe it clean.

Archived