Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Santana Moss takes exception to Griffin’s failure to take blame

Skinzfever2010

Why is Rex on this team for if you drafted Cousins? And I know for sure Rex could have won us the Cleveland game. What Mike did with RG3 in that draft was basically say I'm not 100% sure with you. That's just from the jump. Then to come up with a system to basically use his legs to cover up for his ineptitude of putting together a oline 2 years before RG3 arrival is well...fuel for RG3 to not be 100% sold on Mike and his system. Also they won off of RG3 even with the ****ty pieces around him...so yeah he's ****y. You would be too.

When a team's losing, we treat them like a reality show.  Who the hell cares what the guys are saying???  We just want them to win.

This intangible stuff about player's feelings and their loyalties and "are they enough of a leader" and ****, NONE OF IT MATTERS.  Russel Wilson talks like a pre-programmed robot.  Tom Brady is an asshole who yells at his players and coaches on the sideline.  

The right plays need to be called, and the players need to execute.  That's it.  Enough with this juicy gossip, checkout-line magazine bull****.  God.

You lose...

You don´t make a lot of plays...

You know the end of your career is comming...

I gues you then can get a little emotional. 

There is no doubt in my mind that RGIII has some ****yness, but that´s ok with me. He is put on a big stage, the faith of a franchise on your shoulders...fans are chanting his name. That´s hard to handle. I think his leaderschip wil grow by the years. The two best leaders in the game today are both above 30 and could playcall the game on there own. That says enough about the qualitie...takes time to develop.

Drew Brees wasn´t born this way, he grew into the role: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Ckf6WpgQo

You lose...

You don´t make a lot of plays...

You know the end of your career is comming...

I gues you then can get a little emotional. 

There is no doubt in my mind that RGIII has some ****yness, but that´s ok with me. He is put on a big stage, the faith of a franchise on your shoulders...fans are chanting his name. That´s hard to handle. I think his leaderschip wil grow by the years. The two best leaders in the game today are both above 30 and could playcall the game on there own. That says enough about the qualitie...takes time to develop.

Drew Brees wasn´t born this way, he grew into the role: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Ckf6WpgQo

Wow Drew runs that huddle, coaches his players on the sidelines and is just generally a BMF. I know they are NFC and techinically the enemy to us but I would like to see them win another ring before its over for him.  

More drama queens on this board than football fans.  If you heard the interview he was hardly calling Griff out.  He basically said that leaders say "I" when there is failure and "we" when there is success.  It's the same old story....Belichick plays the game perfectly...he says nothing in his press conference. 

Amazing how if they were 8-2 Moss wouldn't have said this...

Actually he wouldn't have been asked the question.  The quote had nothing to do with the specific outcome of the play, the game, or the season. 

Our quarterback needs to learn how to handle the spotlight.  This is the first time he has been in the spotlight going through adversity.  Clearly it is "easy" to manage press conferences when you are having success. 

Yeah, I will say this about the Skins. We pretty much always suck, but they somehow manage to consistently give us something to talk about. There is always something bombastic going on.

Drama queens find something to talk about no matter what is going on.  People want to talk so they'll find something to talk about.  It's been going on largely since week 1 this year.  Actually since the playoff game last year.

I'm glad Moss said this. Robert really needs to check his ego at the door. He's a second year player, not a seasoned vet. He's not a kid as some of you are suggesting. Last year he was a mature and humble guy. One year of success does not make you bigger than the team Robert like you seem to think.

The Washington Redskins. Same as it ever was.

BTW Zoony. No need to read the tea leaves. Just read his teammates body language.

Moss is correct. This is something that will help RG3 in the future. 

At the same time RG3 shouldn't have to play near perfect football every game for the team to have a chance to win a football game either. Too much success i.e., Heisman, taking a bad football team and winning the division. He never got humbled until this season, and the coaching staff or PR people did a poor job of preparing him for the after game press conference. How do you know how to handle the situation if you probably never in been in that situation your entire career in organized sports? Right now it's looking bad because Moss went public, but since RG3 loves the media this will get his attention, and hopefully turn into something positive in the long term.

HTTR

I like RGIII but dude is getting humbled. Did anyone catch when RGIII was on the ground and one of his linemen "accidentally" moved RGIII's helmet with his foot and no one helped him up?

It may not mean anything, but I'm just saying....

cut his ass

I've said it time and time again, the offseason saga with Griffin hurt this football team. I don't blame Griffin, I don't blame Shanahan, I don't blame anyone. The fact that it happened was kind of a, "wow, all these planets are aligned in a straight line!" kind of deal. It happened.

But when it happened, it brought this mess.

Fixing it is literally impossible without some kind of change. Would removing one coach work? Maybe. Would removing several? Who knows. But there is an issue here that needs to be fixed.

The offseason stuff (Shanahan not benching Griffin earlier in Seattle, Dr. James Andrews, Griffin talking about his condition, a lack of a preseason for Griff and the team, slow start to the season) set this tone.

It's like when you're at work. You always have that coworker you're easily annoyed with (I won't say dislike, because that's not always the case). But when they're doing their job, and you're doing yours and everything is going well, it's all sunshine and roses. The annoyance factor is the elephant in the room, because generally it's a mutual feeling, but its not spoken about... When things go badly, though, that elephant appears and people start to talk.

I think that's what's happening now.

You wanna know why RGIII feels insecure? Cousins. Shanahan should not have drafted him.

that's pitiful!  If he is the better player ... and like him or not I can't think of anyone who seriously thinks he isn't ... this shouldn't be a problem.  The fact that it might be a problem is a huge problem.

This about style so there won't be a universal rule about it and there will be differing opinions.  For me ... the fact that he is young and flashes excellence doesn't remove or come close to overshadowing the fact that he's the QB and QB's are expected by all, QBs, players, coaches, fans, talking heads, etc. to be the leader in addition to everything else they are expected to be.

When the team loses the leader can't seperate themselves from responsibility for the loss and still be the leader.  When a player has the ball and makes a tragic mistake to end the game in a loss ... as unfair as it might seem given there were 59+ minutes of football and assorted mistakes that preceeded it ... they can't not accept responsibility and be a team player and certainly not the team leader.

Should Moss have called him out (that's what he's done) in the media ... personal opinion is no not as a first attempt.  Has he tried to communicate this behind closed doors ... I have no idea.  Should a seasoned and accomplished veteran call him out ... absolutely if they think there's something to act on.  But making this public as a first attempt or not Griffin needs to be called out.

Should he be replaced by Cousins ... no.  Traded ... only for 3 or more future multi-year all-pros (not going to happen).  Cut ... no.  What he should be is maturing and growing into the position he sought, earned, has, and is highly paid to fill ... and that probably includes being schooled by some vets and fixing/refining his trajectory which will hopefully end up with his name in the Ring of Fame.

Seems like a whole lot of nitpicking going on when they're losing. I've seen Griffin have dominant games this year and us lose and terrible games and us lose. As useless as Santana has become in 2013, I wouldn't mind releasing him right now. Right or wrong, Santana, you're doing more harm then good bringing the vultures in on this.

I take exception to us allowing 20 unanswered points to a 1-7 football team then asking our 23 year old QB who had a 114 passer rating to take more a of blame for not making plays. The last philly game wasn't just the worst I've seen Griffin play, it's the worst I've seen from this offense all year (worse then last years pittsburg game, damn near as bad as the 2011 Bills game). But I take serious exception to a player calling out another for not taking the blame for making plays when he didn't have a single catch until the fourth quarter.

For those worried about this team being lost by the coaching staff, don't worry about it. About a third of them are going to be gone at the end of this season anyway...

NO. It shows that RG3 has lost the locker room and Shanahan is left to try to clean up the mess.

RGIII lost the locker room?!!!   You're crazy.  RGIII is the only reason the Redskins are competitive what so ever.  Shanny has lost the entire franchise.  He's not a good coach.  Doesn't know how to relate to players of today.  Doesn't know how to put a disciplined football team out on the field.  Doesn't know how to make in game adjustments.  I could keep going but got to go to work.  Bottom line is I CANNOT wait until we fire him.  

Russell Wilson and Luck are are only a year older yet they carry themselves in a much better manner

You can use about a half dozen other young starting QBs right now, EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, Locker, Foles, any of the young QBs that've come into the league the last couple years.  

Which implies the locker room is divided. You better believe RG3 has support, remember the quotes about teammates being irate that Darrell questioned his leadership last week??

See, Santana is on his way out (as are several players from yesteryear) and what better way to go. Why not pull RG3 to the side and do what a real team leader does? Why go to the media?

Santana knows better, dude clearly has an agenda. 

I don't look at it like Santana has an agenda, I think because he probably knows this is his last year here, he's more open to speaking freely.  

If you're worried about your position on the team, you're liable to bite your tongue or make sure you're on the right side of the rock star franchise QB.  

Other excerpts from the article that I think are more pertinent:

“We had a certain concept with running andnobody got open so I was backing up, and in the situation where you get a sack there, it ends the game,” Griffin said of the final effort to score a touchdown that, with a two-point conversion, would have forced overtime.  “I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone.  It didn’t get to where I wanted it to go.”

Uhhh. It was third down. A sack can't be taken there, but if it does you still do live to fight another day. If you throw it away, you live to fight another day. If you throw it into the air and it gets picked off, you don't. This was a bonehead play by Griffin, and he needed to take accountability for not knowing what down it was, because that's what it seems like happened.

At the end of the day it was a mistake. That's all it was. It's not a backbreaker. But own it. It's okay to not really be Superman all the time. This fanbase wants to love you, Griff. Most of us still do.

Moss is correct. This is something that will help RG3 in the future. 

At the same time RG3 shouldn't have to play near perfect football every game for the team to have a chance to win a football game either. Too much success i.e., Heisman, taking a bad football team and winning the division. He never got humbled until this season, and the coaching staff or PR people did a poor job of preparing him for the after game press conference. How do you know how to handle the situation if you probably never in been in that situation your entire career in organized sports? Right now it's looking bad because Moss went public, but since RG3 loves the media this will get his attention, and hopefully turn into something positive in the long term.

HTTR

I think all of this will be good in the long run.  In some form or fashion, RG3 needed this.  And if RG3 undergoes some self reflection in the offseason and learns from all this, he'll be better off.  

Archived