Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Santana Moss takes exception to Griffin’s failure to take blame

Skinzfever2010

Charley Casserly said in response to a question that asked if he would recommend Cam Newton as a roll model for Robert Griffin that he wouldn't use that term "role model" and then explained that he beleives that Griffin is already a much better QB than Newton.  He didn't specifically address ceilings but that was within the context of the conversation he was having on MASN.

LMAO ... Luck a white version of Jason Campbell (I get the check down thing but ...) funny I haven't seen Luck move in slow motion yet (anyone remember Danny Rouhier's post game youtube vids? ... only way I got through that final season of the Campbell era).

It only matters to people who've been secretly clinging to the hope Cousins would one day get his shot. I mean you had guys dogging both TD passes in the game day thread because they were upset that he threw them. I mean think about that for a second, how many other teams have fans that get butt hurt when their starting QB throws a TD pass?

Remember the game thread in the Broncos game? Some of the Cousins fanboys were giddy when Mike pulled RGIII in the 4th.

I'm getting bad feelings about RG3.   The constant drama since last December.  The diva attitude. The need to explain and not take blame for losses and bad play....etc.. indicate narcissism.  This all happening in second year in the league makes me think it's only going to get worse unless there is some strong presence around to keep him in line and humble.  Worst thing Snyder could do is fire either of the Shanahans....but instead show support to his head coach by extending his contract just so RG3 will know that he has a higher authority that he is answerable to.

Santana was right...quarterbacks have to be the leaders and leaders take the blame upon themselves whether at fault or not and by doing so they gain the loyalty of their teammates.  All the great ones have this. 

Charley Casserly said in response to a question that asked if he would recommend Cam Newton as a roll model for Robert Griffin that he wouldn't use that term "role model" and then explained that he beleives that Griffin is already a much better QB than Newton.  He didn't specifically address ceilings but that was within the context of the conversation he was having on MASN.

LMAO ... Luck a white version of Jason Campbell (I get the check down thing but ...) funny I haven't seen Luck move in slow motion yet (anyone remember Danny Rouhier's post game youtube vids? ... only way I got through that final season of the Campbell era).

I think Luck is going to be like Elway in all honesty. Never puts up really great numbers but still plays good and wins consistently. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that though.

Griffin playing hurt in the playoff game had nothing to do with the fear of Cousins being on the field. It was him thinking he gave us the best chance to win and the desire to win that he has. The pressure that is put on him since he got here day one is enormous, he didn't want to let the team, the fans our himself down by going out in a playoff game hurt. That's why he hinted blame at Shanahan, it's up to the coach to see he was extremely limited by the 3rd quarter and pull him out, no way he was going to pull himself and I expected nothing less.

Really... The best chance to win...  RG became completely ineffective after getting dinged late in the first quarter.

He started out  6 for 9 and two touchdowns 68 yds passing which occurred in the first two possessions/drives

He ended the game 10 for 19 with 1 INT and the tragic knee buckle and subsequent lost fumble.

So for 2 quarters plus 9 1/2 minutes of the 4th quarter RG completed 4 passes for a total of 16 yds over the course of 6 possessions/drives  1 int and again the sad understandable fumble.  

I can appreciated wholeheartedly his bravery and desire to want to play, but there is no way that he was RG and he wasn't able to play.  In fact in that game it was the first time that he ever started to throw falling backwards vs stepping into his passes.  At least that I recall.

He told Shanny that he deserved to be out there.  Shanny said he couldn't disagree.

Shanny should have pulled the plug much earlier and told Robert to sit and deal with the fallout later, but didn't because he believed or wanted to believe what RG was telling him.  

As I said at one point RG had to know that he couldn't compete.  It was his ego.  Cousins had already proven that he could lead the team to a win and RG had given us a lead that we should have been able to hold onto.  He had done enough.  Instead his desire to be the one, got in the way of saying I can't go.  Would he have been criticized... As bad as he looked physically impaired... You'd have to be pretty cold hearted or blind to do so.  It was personally killing me watching him play just from a pain and what appeared to be safety point.  

I can forgive him for that due to being a comnpetitor.  That being said, there is no way he could really believe that he was able to compete halfway through the 3rd Q.  His iimp and play got progressively worse as the game wore on.

Competitor or not, how far out of reality is he to think that 16 yds of passing plus a int and he is limping like crazy is giving us the best chance to win.  No it's just ego and wanting to be the guy.   His coached kept asking him if he was alright and he kept saying yest and like i said went as far as to say I give us the best chance to win and I deserve to be out here.    Sure if he's competing otherwise at what point is it self over the interest of being able to compete and win.  I think in that game his ego got the best of him.  And now , it's that same ego that isn't taking responsibility today.

I love RG as the much as any fan, I do, but having said that, I'm not going to ignore how he's dealing with this year across the board.

Will he figure it out?

I think so. And Santana doing this might just be the bitter medicine he needs to swallow.  

Ok, we get it, he mentioned the last play of the game. The fact is he still called out players not getting open and this and that but didn't acknowledge the numerous players he missed wide open, that's what this comes down to, not the last play

Cool, I get that.

I think it's silly, though. Media exploited tabloid vomit.

Mountains out of molehills.  A young QB has some maturing to do, and that's pretty much it.

~Bang

Remember the game thread in the Broncos game? Some of the Cousins fanboys were giddy when Mike pulled RGIII in the 4th.

The best part about it is it's the same couple of guys saying it in every game day thread. It's almost to the point where I see them post and just gloss over it because I already know what the post is going to say.

Cool, I get that.

I think it's silly, though. Media exploited tabloid vomit.

Mountains out of molehills.  A young QB has some maturing to do, and that's pretty much it.

~Bang

I agree that it's overblown.  I also believe that he should be acknowledging these things though but it shouldn't be blown up to the extent that it has been.  I know I've been debating it but I'm not going ape **** over here because he said it.  I'm just going at it from the stand point that it is something he needs to address and I'm sure he will as he adapts more into a leader.  Just some honest, criticizing.  There's something to criticize everyone with, it's how you adjust and accept criticism that gets you either further in life, or stuck - take what people give you and improve on it.

I don't understand some people. Griffin is not a "kid". He is a 23 year old man. A rookie, yes. A kid? No.

Does Luck act this way?

No, because he has the personality of a rock. Check that.... personality of a stick.

if it makes you feel better making such definitive declarations then by all means.  You should be on the sidelines coaching obviously.  The defense made adjustments and made stops enough to give the offense a chance to come back and tie the game.  We were on the precipice of scoring again and needing a 2 point conversion when our QB decided on 3 rd and 1 to throw the ball up for grabs 30 + yds down field back peddling vs throwing it a much shorter distance out of bounds at the sticks/line of scrimmage and try and get that 1 yd on the next play.  

Umm yeah sure, he was in the tackle box if he throws it out of bounce its most likely intentional grounding with a loss of down and yardage. He didn't throw it up for grabs, he was attempting to toss it out of the back of the endzone which was the only play he had at that time. It didn't get there because he was falling backwards being smashed to the ground. The defense didn't make adjustments, Chip Kelly stepped off the gas again like week one. But sure see things however you want. Also those weren't my definitive statements, they were Chris Cooleys lol but nice try. I will make a definitive statement though, while watching that play live I thought it was clear as day he was trying to throw it out of the endzone and not just tossing it up for grabs but it just didn't make it because he got immediate pressure and just flicked it side arm on his way down. He takes the sack or intentional grounding there the game is still over anyways most likely. 

Another reason to not confine Robert to the pocket.

Not just so he can buy time for our often challenged WRs to get open, but he can easily throw the ball away, and avoid groundings.

Oh, and he won't be as likely to have nightmares about the interior collapsing on > 50% of our passing plays.

I'm getting bad feelings about RG3.   The constant drama since last December.  The diva attitude. The need to explain and not take blame for losses and bad play....etc.. indicate narcissism.  This all happening in second year in the league makes me think it's only going to get worse unless there is some strong presence around to keep him in line and humble.  Worst thing Snyder could do is fire either of the Shanahans....but instead show support to his head coach by extending his contract just so RG3 will know that he has a higher authority that he is answerable to.

Santana was right...quarterbacks have to be the leaders and leaders take the blame upon themselves whether at fault or not and by doing so they gain the loyalty of their teammates.  All the great ones have this. 

Santana was wrong, for saying it to the public.  All he did was make things worse no matter if what he said was true or not.  Of all people to say something it shouldn't be Santana.  He may be a veteran but he is having a terrible year.  Santana needs to worry about catching the football next time RGIII throws him one.

What the **** does Andrew Luck have to do with this and why do people keep bringing him up like he's the ultimate barometer for what a QB should be? Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers and many others all have different mannerisms concerning on the field behavior and post game press conferences. Enough with the comparisons too Luck, two different kids with two different personalities, one not any better than the other.

Dude, my point is people keep saying "he's just a kid" as an excuse for any immature behavior. He is 23, like Luck. Being 23 doesn't mean you're incapable of being reasonable and accepting blame.

Another reason to not confine Robert to the pocket.

Not just so he can buy time for our often challenged WRs to get open, but he can easily throw the ball away, and avoid groundings.

Oh, and he won't be as likely to have nightmares about the interior collapsing on > 50% of our passing plays.

Really don't understand how a guy that made bootlegs a staple of his offense for a decade, and specifically looks for linemen who have the size/athleticism to run those types of plays has seemingly ripped those pages out of his playbook.

I mean maybe Kyle told him "Those plays are totally lame and stale, dad." but so are full house packages where it doesn't matter because Polumbus is still pushed right into Griff.

Really don't understand how a guy that made bootlegs a staple of his offense for a decade, and specifically looks for linemen who have the size/athleticism to run those types of plays has seemingly ripped those pages out of his playbook.

I mean maybe Kyle told him "Those plays are totally lame and stale, dad." but so are full house packages where it doesn't matter because Polumbus is still pushed right into Griff.

Shanny said that they wanted to develop his pocket passing more this season so he can be a more complete QB by year 3.  Unfortunately, our line isn't designed for traditional drop pack passing and our QB is still learning how to go through progressions, read defenses, etc.  It's just a learning curve.

No, because he has the personality of a rock. Check that.... personality of a stick.

Umm yeah sure, he was in the tackle box if he throws it out of bounce its most likely intentional grounding with a loss of down and yardage. He didn't throw it up for grabs, he was attempting to toss it out of the back of the endzone which was the only play he had at that time. It didn't get there because he was falling backwards being smashed to the ground. The defense didn't make adjustments, Chip Kelly stepped off the gas again like week one. But sure see things however you want. Also those weren't my definitive statements, they were Chris Cooleys lol but nice try. I will make a definitive statement though, while watching that play live I thought it was clear as day he was trying to throw it out of the endzone and not just tossing it up for grabs but it just didn't make it because he got immediate pressure and just flicked it side arm on his way down. He takes the sack or intentional grounding there the game is still over anyways most likely. 

In the first few frames take a look at Garcon at bottom of the screen... Pretty wide open for no body getting open.  Now Robert is forgivable here because it is obvious that he never looked once towards our No 1 WR or left for that matter....  Then look at the pocket carefully and see that many or most QB's would have stepped forward and to the left as the end of 3rd frame is unfolding but he's only locking in on the right side of the field and then starts his patent back peddle at which point the play is dead... but he could have thrown it in the grass at the feet of the receiver on the right side near the line of scrimmage.  Instead he opts for throwing it down the middle into the end zone which is twice as far away.  

This play exemplifies what is going on all to often and his reaction which I believe he thinks is true based on what he sees and doesn't see due to his current flaws which then leads to him saying that no one was open, or no other options were available.  

And as far as his intentions with the throw.... That it was "clear as day" comment...Sure... OK... that ball had nothing on it and it had the earmarks of a HailMary.  

The easy out was to throw it where he was looking which was to the right side just throw it out of bounds... He had a receiver over there.  See frame 3  as to where he's looking. n See last frame where receiver was stopped as ball was sailing towards it's final destination.

He also could have sprinted out of the pocket  right or left at different points.  He had the ball in his hands for what appears to be 3 seconds minimum.  Also note where he sets up originally at 25-26 yd line but then back peddles 5 yds in first 2 + seconds where sliding forward to the left would have been a better option.  However again, he never looked that way and this is why he never saw Garcon.

In closing I don't think RG is malicious in anyway, but I think that he said what he saw which is all that he choose to look at, and that happens over and over as he still doesn't know how to go through progressions look off defenders, pump fake...  It ends up that he doesn't know what really was available on the play and what options existed so he innocently throws his coaches and teammates under the bus here and there..

uv7k.jpg

8bwu.jpg

hyzl.jpg

nzqv.jpg

z3s0.jpge6hh.jpg

Archived