Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Santana Moss takes exception to Griffin’s failure to take blame

Skinzfever2010

Sportscenter just did their Centerpiece segment on this whole issue and sadly I can't disagree with anything they said. Gist of it is that he still needs to evolve as a leader and the successes last year masked some of these problems. However, winning solves everything

Pretty much...

I think he is going to develop into a better leader and amazing QB. Some people think it's making a big deal out of nothing to be critical of him. I don't think being critical of him is a big deal. I think he needs it now and it will make him a better leader in the long run. 

Botom line: I still love the kid. 

Stop making excuses for the leader who won't take responsibility. That is the position of quarterback.

Rg3 wanted to stay in that game, so that is a mute point.

The best thing for RG3 is for his teammates to grip him by the cuff and be direct as possible with him at this point.

Despite all the criticism Cam Newton got for his press conference attitude, he never displaced blame. He took it square on his shoulders. 

All the great one? They take it on their shoulders, it comes with being great

When does Griffin not take the blame? He always says the offense needs to improve which *gasp* includes himself. What's he supposed to do, keep a list of bad plays he makes during the game and then come out and take credit for all of them during the press conference? He took credit for the throw that didn't make it out of the endzone, did Moss take credit for his drop that ended the Vikings game? I sure don't remember him saying anything. Disappointed with Moss here and this statement.

Santana Moss has loss all respect from me when Moss refused to field punts when this team right now is down right awful in that position. No true head coach would allow for that decision unless the coach have some type of favoritism for that player. It is not like Moss is getting 15 to 16 targets a game. Moss is a Shanahan tool. RG3 can go out there and says" I "then RG3 is selfish. RG3 says" we" he is not being accountable. This is down right sad and the only reason it is a problem is because the qb is not winning but when the Skins do win, "we" is acceptable but when the team lose "we" is unacceptable. RG3 knows he is up and down this year but why would you want to shake the confidence of your QB by the qb taking blame for all the offensive debacles that is not all his fault?

This is what happens when a team loses, fingers get pointed and blaming starts. If we were 7-3 and won all of our games 10-7 nobody would care simply because we are winning. The problem I have with what Moss said and others is did RGIII come out last year when they were winning and say "I played great, I made great passes, I extended that play?", no he didn't, he never took credit, he has always stated things as "we" and "team effort". So why should he put blame on himself now? He's not having the best year, but I personally didn't expect him to wearing a brace on his knee (try wearing one on your own knee and be an elite athlete.... not gonna happen), but the problems with this team are FAR greater than RGIII.

People seem to forget that it was RGIII's tremendous play that won those games last year, his extending plays, his deadly accurate passes, he hid a lot of the problems with this offense and never went around stating it was all about him.

HAIL!

Handling winning is the easy part. Moss' advice is for when things are not going the team's way. You will see a shift in the way he handles his post game pressers in games and years to come. Santana it seems is trying to help rectify it early before it has the chance to become a problem in the future. Sounds like all is good in the locker room now though.

The Qb will always receive the credit by fans and media, so it should not be hard to deflect the praise from himself on to others during times of success. And this was the case last year.

6a00d8341c64d253ef0120a6347755970b-800wi

Coming, this Monday Night.........

when-the-wheels-2.gif

the Story of the life as a Redskins Fan born in 1992. 

Ft a truly "offensive" performance; including Spin move Moss,  Doghouse Davis, and Josh 'Moar Teams Madness' Morgan and more. And if we are lucky, yes a Modern Day Swinging Gate drawn up by our special Barroom Brawler Burns. 

The highlight of the season is just days away.  Are you ready to rumble? 

On ES afterwards, of course. 

Santana Moss has lost a lot of respect from me with this **** . When you are on a loosing team and you are not stepping it up in fact you had the ball in your hand last against the vikings and did not have the awareness to get your damn feet down in the endzone and you didn't take any blame, just like you didn't take the blame when you had those key drops and fumbled the game away on countless occasions then **** you essentially... 

You have a problem with RGIII you take it to RGIII and it ends there . You never should throw a guy under the bus and not go running off to the media .

Earlier in the year RGIII hinted that he thought others on the offense needed to play better without nameing names in a PC after the game and essentially got slapped down by Shanahan straight away - saying that once he plays the perfect game then he can talk ... Same goes for Santana ..

I never advocate over reacting to this kind of thing but I would suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team until the end of the season and run with Nick Williams ...

Awareness?  That ball was thrown where he had almost nochance to get both feet down.  Not that that's relevant to this whole thing anyway.

Categorically false

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/822155-panthers-cam-newton-takes-blame-for-embarrassing-game-bad-qb-or-great-leader

""It's unacceptable on my part. That's an embarrassing stat. I just have to make the proper reads. The safeties don't lie to you, that's what (quarterbacks) coach (Mike) Shula always teaches. Getting back and getting in a comfort zone because third-and-long is not a situation you want to be in. A check down is not a bad thing. I saw today with checking the ball down to DeAngelo (Williams) we can get positive things rolling and that everything doesn't have to be to a receiver."

Cam Newton 

August 2011 preseason

I meant in the sense that he had trouble in the beginning of his second season and people started to get on his case.

What are you even talking about? Rob Blinders? I curse that kid out for 2 hours a week! He is the bane of my football existence right now. I can deal with a loosing season if my QB wasn't proving himself to be such a dummy! Just because I think Moss is wrong in this instance doesn't mean that I'm a Griffin homer. Don't make up stuff please. I am fully aware that he has alot of growing to do and you have never seen me say he can do no wrong. I have been saying since we drafted him that if he doesn't stop this super hero **** he will be Vick and hes been proving me right ALL year long. This has absolutely nothing to do with what i have been talking about in this topic, so why even go there with me? 

I'm talking about Santana Moss, a...what....13 year vet, getting talked into giving a horrible sound byte to a member of the media KNOWN to be a troublemaker. Particularly for this franchise. Especially when he doesn't even know the press conference the jerk is referring to. It was a mistake and he should have known better. 

BANG is right. You guys fall hook line and sinker for this crap every time and just make it worse. When this is on the front page of NFL.com its your fault for giving it hits. (Not you particularly Mahons21)

I wish you people would think.

Sorry for the misinterpretation, that's on Me/I/Myself, I agree with much if not all of what you're saying here.  Perhaps I should take off my Moss blinders, I've gained a new found respect for him listening to his interviews on Tuesday, and agreed with the message he was sending in this one.  With that being said, you're absolutely right, and Moss should have given his message behind closed doors.

:(

I have been a fan since I was 5 years old (Im 29 now), and this monday night will be the very FIRST Redskins game Ive ever attended. Great seats, etc;

Its a shame its under such negative lights, :(

I've only watched the Skins in person once... in 2011... in Seattle...with Rex Grossman...who led the team to an unlikely come from behind win. I hereby telepathically pass my 1st timer mojo to you Sir. Get us that win, we're all counting on you!

Well like Cooley said, Shanahan pulls the same crap not taking the blame for losses. They asked him a similar question in the post game if he blames the coaching for the loss against philly and he coached spoke about it being a number of issues. No Mike, it starts at the top. We were outcoached and out schemed for a must win game that the team had 10 days to prepare for.

OH FREAKING BULL****. 

If RG3 is that insecure he needs to find another career. We had no one behind RG3 but Grossman. Is that what you want?No decent backup So little RG3 feels secure? 

Dude, you are taking this whole man crush thing to a disturbing level.

Ditto on that note... 

However, RG didn't like Cousins on the field last year, which is why he put himself in a position to end up in an Operating Room again.  I'm getting the exact same surgery that RG just had this Dec and though I tried to continue to play 2man sand volleyball on it, I just knew I couldn't or shouldn't.  RG knew damn well in that last game that his knee was jacked up and stayed out on the field.  It might have already been too late as the earlier hit might have done enough damage that surgery was required, but his play when swirling down the toilet for the rest of the game cause it had to be him on the field.

He is a kid. You can't have it both ways Kleese. You can't sing his praises when he turns water into wine last season and now point the finger at him when he isn't mature enough to own up to his mistakes.

Remember all those quotes from our veterans last year saying "he isn't a rookie" "he is the new leader" etc. This comes with the territory.

Robert made this same exact team look great last year and nobody wanted to check his arrogance then. So please miss me with all the righteous bull **** now. Santana is no freaking saint lol he drops so many damn passes on Sunday. 

Now Santana just took a tender situation and made it worse. You go to the media and add fuel to the fire. Good job vet, because that is what we need right now. 

Bye Mike, Jim, Keith, Kyle & Santana

That's not necessarily true.  Last year everything went RG's way.  RG had everyone singing his praises because he was succeeding.  The only thing that he had to own up to was basically outstanding play.  No one was questioning his abilities to play QB, read defenses, not stare down rec, etc etc etc etc.  

This year he is not having success and now he is being equally evaluated for his performance.  He was told he was playing great last year because he was, and this year it's a different story.  RG character was never challenged last year even at 3-6 because even in the losses he was more outstanding than bad by far.  Again that is not the situation he finds himself in.  Now he is being critiqued and fairly so I might add.  He isn't dealing with anything new or unique to the position of QB in the NFL.  How he's dealing with this is a new situation and he's being critiqued on that as well.  

The true test of a person is not when things are going their way... It's the exact opposite.  

Last year we saw the successful side of RG this year not.

If I show you half a mans face... "nose down to chin". Can you tell me what he looks like.  I think not.

That shouldn't be shocking lol. Kirk is going to be a good QB for some team in this league. Robert is going to emerge ten times the leader from this situation. 

He has that opportunity, it remains to be seen if he seizes the moment.

sigh, why cant just remain silent for the good of the team. Just didnt need to be said with everything else going on. 

Honestly you might be able to say that about other players but this is Moss who never says anything who has put up with crappy QB play for years.  I think also he is very frustrated because HE BROUGHT into the hype that RG3 would take them to the Superbowl.  Oh well the wheels are really coming off if Moss is talking. 

However I agree with him.  That was boneheaded heave that Robert put up at the end that he should of thrown out of bounds.  A player leading a team would normally just admit and move on.  End of story.  Apparently Robert has a huge ego or low self-esteem and he cannot admit when he is wrong.   The wheels are really coming off the train here and Robert is going to have bigger issues then simply his "mental" issues if he does not stop misplacing responsibility.

Ditto on that note... 

However, RG didn't like Cousins on the field last year, which is why he put himself in a position to end up in an Operating Room again.  I'm getting the exact same surgery that RG just had this Dec and though I tried to continue to play 2man sand volleyball on it, I just knew I couldn't or shouldn't.  RG knew damn well in that last game that his knee was jacked up and stayed out on the field.  It might have already been too late as the earlier hit might have done enough damage that surgery was required, but his play when swirling down the toilet for the rest of the game cause it had to be him on the field.

Griffin playing hurt in the playoff game had nothing to do with the fear of Cousins being on the field. It was him thinking he gave us the best chance to win and the desire to win that he has. The pressure that is put on him since he got here day one is enormous, he didn't want to let the team, the fans our himself down by going out in a playoff game hurt. That's why he hinted blame at Shanahan, it's up to the coach to see he was extremely limited by the 3rd quarter and pull him out, no way he was going to pull himself and I expected nothing less.

RT @HTTR24_7 Doc Walker & Cooley going in today.. Both talking about how the team is a unit & you don't say "I" or "me".. You say "We" & "Us"..

https://twitter.com/HTTR24_7/status/403271582074023936

Sounds like not all football players agree with Santana's assessment.

CUE *THEY'RE SNYDER'S ESPN980 SHILLS*

Let me ask you a question if you don't mind: 

There are you and 5 other people remodeling a house, you've done a great and everything looks fantastic.  However, YOU hit a gas line and the house catches fire.  Do YOU tell everyone that WE messed it up or that I (YOU) messed it up. 

Now, take that same situation and assume you were not the one that hit the gas line.  Would it be ok for the person that did in that instance, claim that WE messed it up which also includes YOU even though you didn't even touch the gas line?  Are you going to take the blame on someone else's mistake?

Archived