Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Santana Moss takes exception to Griffin’s failure to take blame

Skinzfever2010

Moss talking did him some good

“Bottom line, last play of the game, I tried to throw the ball away and it didn’t work. It’s my fault. I didn’t get it far enough in the back of the end zone and that’s all anybody needs to know really.”

Griff today

A little birdie told me there will be more articles coming this week with Redskin players anonymously trashing RG3.

We'll see if that birdie is right. I hope not.

Hope note but maybe not surprising. I think this goes all the way back to training camp, if not farther. In those 3 weeks I volunteered I was fortunate to observe alot "behind the ropes". It was crazy how everyone treated Robert as the 2nd coming, and the rest of the team (with a few exceptions) were clearly just his supporting cast. I remember hearing comments from the players in various articles or interviews about how none of that bothered them, but honestly how can there not be just a little resentment? It's human nature to take a little satisfaction in seeing the pillar crumble a bit.

Hope note but maybe not surprising. I think this goes all the way back to training camp, if not farther. In those 3 weeks I volunteered I was fortunate to observe alot "behind the ropes". It was crazy how everyone treated Robert as the 2nd coming, and the rest of the team (with a few exceptions) were clearly just his supporting cast. I remember hearing comments from the players in various articles or interviews about how none of that bothered them, but honestly how can there not be just a little resentment? It's human nature to take a little satisfaction in seeing the pillar crumble a bit.

I don't think any of the players have any problem with RG3 being treated as the most important player on the team by fans and the media.

He is, pretty much.

The problem would be is if he started acting like he is. I'm not saying he has at all, but when you spend PCs talking more about your teammates mistakes instead of your own, that can be a problem.

My word, man. Just give it up.

I didn't think so. My doubts prove justified.

Rufus, I understand your points in terms of we. It also depends on the context. If it's in game then of course Gibbs isn't going to say I when referring to plays. He's not going to say I didn't move the ball well. But as a coach you also have to admit things using I, such as I must not have prepared the team enough. I made some calls that I look back on an wish I hadn't. Some calls I made didn't put us in the right position.

Griffin could do the same. We didn't get rolling offensively and didn't execute. I missed a lot of guys and I didn't give them enough chances to make plays. I wish I could have some of those throws back so that I could put the receivers and our offense in better position to succeed. That's something im going to work at improving so we can become a better and more efficient offense.

It's not that the I has to be everywhere but admitting your own mistakes as a leader. That's all I'm saying, I'm not bashing him just offering my opinion on some criticism that I think he would benefit from. Everyone can improve at something all the time

The impetus behind Santana Moss' radio comments regarding Redskins players taking the onus for making mistakes was assumed to be about Robert Griffin III's postgame comments.

Of course, there was more to the backstory.

CSN Washington's Chick Hernandez, citing team sources, reported Wednesday that RGIII called the wrong protection on the Redskins' final play of Sunday's loss to the Eagles, which led to an interception. Griffin said "no one got open" after the miscommunication, which initially rubbed teammates the wrong way.

That could explain Moss' original "say me or I," comment.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285218/article/rgiii-reportedly-called-wrong-protection-on-final-int

The impetus behind Santana Moss' radio comments regarding Redskins players taking the onus for making mistakes was assumed to be about Robert Griffin III's postgame comments.

CSN Washington's Chick Hernandez, citing team sources, reported Wednesday that RGIII called the wrong protection on the Redskins' final play of Sunday's loss to the Eagles, which led to an interception. Griffin said "no one got open" after the miscommunication, which initially rubbed teammates the wrong way.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285218/article/rgiii-reportedly-called-wrong-protection-on-final-int

Explains a lot then

Thanks for this. If true, it definitely brings light to why Moss spoke out and teammates on offense might have bee peeved at RG3.

Honestly you might be able to say that about other players but this is Moss who never says anything who has put up with crappy QB play for years.  I think also he is very frustrated because HE BROUGHT into the hype that RG3 would take them to the Superbowl.  Oh well the wheels are really coming off if Moss is talking. 

However I agree with him.  That was boneheaded heave that Robert put up at the end that he should of thrown out of bounds.  A player leading a team would normally just admit and move on.  End of story.  Apparently Robert has a huge ego or low self-esteem and he cannot admit when he is wrong.   The wheels are really coming off the train here and Robert is going to have bigger issues then simply his "mental" issues if he does not stop misplacing responsibility.

whether or not Moss illustrates a valid criticism against Robert, it didn't need to be said publicly. It only adds fuel to an already raging fire. If Moss had a problem- as many others on this board have stated- he could/should have addressed it in house. 

whether or not Moss illustrates a valid criticism against Robert, it didn't need to be said publicly. It only adds fuel to an already raging fire. If Moss had a problem- as many others on this board have stated- he could/should have addressed it in house. 

I agree with this, usually, but with a young player like RG3, maybe he needed to be humbled publically by an old pro like this.

You're right it does come down to winning and losing, your situation isn't a losing situation. A leader, manager, ect. Is supposed to take responsibility for failure with an 'I' - Same with a coach. Griffin is the leader of the offense and can use we but if he's making mistakes he needs to own up to those mistakes. He's not doing that 100%, he's using too much we.

Yeah, i know mine wasnt a losing situation. I was just showing the opposite side of the original post, which was only a losing situation.

Heres the bottom line from the posts I am reading,

When we are winning and our offense is clicking, you want him to use a lot of "we" and "us".

and,

When we are losing and our offense isnt doing well, you want him to use a lot of "I" and "me".

Right?

Yeah, i know mine wasnt a losing situation. I was just showing the opposite side of the original post, which was only a losing situation.

Heres the bottom line from the posts I am reading,

When we are winning and our offense is clicking, you want him to use a lot of "we" and "us".

and,

When we are losing and our offense isnt doing well, you want him to use a lot of "I" and "me".

Right?

It comes down to how he plays, not wins vs losses. It just happens that bad qb play typically means losses. If we only score 10 points and win but he makes a lot of mistakes I want to hear him own up to those mistakes. A qb isn't going to make many friends in the locker room if it's about I and me when they're playing well. That is having a big head and ego and a whole different issue

You wanna know why RGIII feels insecure? Cousins. Shanahan should not have drafted him.

That's kind of silly the guy gets paid millions to play football, he should have a tough skin, meditate a bit you know.  Cousins already won 2 games for us off the bench in a clutch.  If anything we need to put cousins in sooner so he actually has a chance and to protect RG3 (I think we can all agree on that now).

Having cousins is good for the team, if it bothers RG3 he should grow up, did he not expect to have competition or a backup?

I think tana may be right but he should have said it behind closed doors.  The media can smell blood in the water now.

It comes down to how he plays, not wins vs losses. It just happens that bad qb play typically means losses. If we only score 10 points and win but he makes a lot of mistakes I want to hear him own up to those mistakes. A qb isn't going to make many friends in the locker room if it's about I and me when they're playing well. That is having a big head and ego and a whole different issue

I get what you're saying and maybe in a lost season it comes down to that.  But I'd rather have a QB who scores 10 points and gets 12-14 wins vs a QB who scores 35 but loses 10 games per year.  It is a score board but sometimes just converting a first down at the right time is more important than a TD.  and an INT at the wrong time can be more important to a games outcome then two TDs.  It comes down to critical moments and the performance therein Total QBR tries to use that, but it is really hard to show a successful 8 minute drill in a stat line. 

And sometimes it means just not responding directly to the media, yes its annoying in person, in the business room, in the bedroom etc, but that's how you have to handle the media.  You have to control the conversation and think before you speak or else it can blow up quick.

Why doesn't RG3 have a PR firm for a media coach and handler? 

Moss has a point. A good point.

The man has been a pro's pro for over a decade, and rarely does a whole lot of talking outside the lines, so yeah; if he has something to say I'd listen to it.

He's right. Leadership has many facets, and one of them is the idea that you have to stand up and take one for the team. All QBs (or good ones anyway) do that. Robert will learn that. He's in his second year and more or less one off-season short in development, so relax. It will come.

Stop interpreting Moss's comments as some random attack, and think of it as a vet trying to put things in a frame of refrence. It was hardly some brutal attack. Most people get critical feedback in their profession, and have to learn to deal with it. Robert will too.

even tho Santana cant get open, he was even more right.

This team talks too damn much. All of them.

The WRS have been taken subtle shots at RG3 at various times this season. And we might hear some nastier, anonymous stuff down the road.

But to me, this is just old veteran Santana doing it in an admirable way -- basically giving young RG3 some advice. 

Naw you missed my point. I'm not saying that in particular was the right decision, but siding with the vet because he 'Bleed' for us against the 23 year old kid that literally bleed for us is just silly. No? 

And that's not what cost us the season. He didn't even get hit when he went back out there (against Bmore last year, if there is any confusion). If anything it just made it more memorable. Don't act like you didnt love the toughness last season when we won the game. 

Oh, thought you were talking about Seattle after the second touchdown.

THAT is what ****ed us up all year.

Didnt see it, and didnt feel like starting a new thread so ill just post it here.

"RG3 reportedly called wrong protection on final INT"

LL was on twitter stating that mike made that up to cover his/Kyles ass and it was a shot at RG3 for his comment after the game.

Follow his twitter for the insider scoop

Archived