Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Santana Moss takes exception to Griffin’s failure to take blame

Skinzfever2010

LL was on twitter stating that mike made that up to cover his/Kyles ass and it was a shot at RG3 for his comment after the game.

Follow his twitter for the insider scoop

no he doesn't, unless he deleted it. Only thing he says is that the assignments were irrelevant as the pass should have gone to garçon right away

The impetus behind Santana Moss' radio comments regarding Redskins players taking the onus for making mistakes was assumed to be about Robert Griffin III's postgame comments.

Of course, there was more to the backstory.

CSN Washington's Chick Hernandez, citing team sources, reported Wednesday that RGIII called the wrong protection on the Redskins' final play of Sunday's loss to the Eagles, which led to an interception. Griffin said "no one got open" after the miscommunication, which initially rubbed teammates the wrong way.

That could explain Moss' original "say me or I," comment.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285218/article/rgiii-reportedly-called-wrong-protection-on-final-int

It does explain a lot, and it's pretty damning, if true. In a clutch situation, the quarterback basically hand grenades the play from the beginning. At minimum, you've got to be able to trust your star QB will call the play correctly and get everyone on the same page. I would think stuff like that would mess with teammates confidence in him. And maybe that kind of thing speaks to stuff like him turning the wrong direction on fakes every week. He kinda doesn't know what he's supposed to do sometimes.

86i4.jpg

I wouldn't interpret that as "making it up to cover their ass" ; I just think you used a poor choice of words to describe it is all - I also don't see how making the wrong protection call is irrelevant.  A play is designed with a specific protection call for a reason.  IF the protection call was wrong and if maybe the correct one was called, then Griffin would not have been pressured like he was or something else may have been available?  Could also be something Moss hinted at as well when he said what he said.

Say,, the Redskins are playing the 49ers this week.

Tough game. 

And regardless of our record, we're still only two games off the pace of the division. It's NOT beyond the realm of possibility, and it's much more than being mathematically alive. 

I must say, it's a good thing they can concentrate on that instead of some ridiculous clucking  for an entire week over "he said, she said" gossip..

This town loves nothing more than this team to be dysfunctional. 

~Bang

The tweet is easy to interrupt. There is nothing about Garcon in the tweet either :mellow:   

So the play results in an INT due to pressure and Mike says the protection call was wrong but he's "making it up to cover his and Kyle's ass"?  Come on man...

And he didn't say that at all...he said in the tweet that the blocking assignment was irrelevant.  When the result of the play is a turnover due to pressure, the blocking assignment cannot be "irrelevant"

Skinz, I know you understand that

and here's the Garcon piece I was talking about:

@P_Hazard Protection shouldn't have been an issue. Ball should go to 88 right after the snap http://twitpic.com/dlzo9p

@imadni @P_Hazard Not sure about score but that was the throw to make..Garcon was coming open, RG just had to rock & throw

@P_Hazard @mtj8033 Wasn't a risk..That was the throw.

@mtj8033 @P_Hazard Came off him too quick. That's the throw they want him to make tho.

If he throws that ball another 6 yards or so, none of this.

Bad throw, get over it. No excuse or 'reason' in the world makes any difference,, receivers, OL, play call,,   throw it another 18-20 feet, and it's just a throwaway, next play. And the only thing that causes that,,, it's a bad throw. And that is all.

They say the best thing an athlete can have is a short memory.

Impossible in the modern "GOTCHA" geared world.

Kardashian Kulture.

~Puke

Thank God, some sanity.

This place is worse than TMZ.

I swear most of what is posted here and on Twitter these days should start with "Like OMG!" And use the word like every other damned word.

"Like OMG did you totally hear was Santana said?! He like so hates Griffin!! He's just jealous of Griffen! I hate that ****!"

"Like OMG did like totally hear what Griffen said?! He like so totally hates Kyle! I hate that ****!"

"Like OMG Shanahan like totally went behind Griffen's back and like totally told everyone that like Griffen called the wrong play in Philly! Like that was totally cause like Griffen like said it was totally Kyle's fault. I hate that ****!"

(actual posts or tweets used and converted into the apporpriate tone).

I refuse to believe that this organization, front office, coaching staff or players are as petty as catty, 15-year old girls. I recall a lot of the same over reactionary rumors being floated about last year at 3-6 and they all turned out to be false. No I don't think everyone is holding hands and singing Kumbaya right now--but I don't think it's as petty as being made out to be.

If he throws that ball another 6 yards or so, none of this.

Bad throw, get over it. No excuse or 'reason' in the world makes any difference,, receivers, OL, play call,,   throw it another 18-20 feet, and it's just a throwaway, next play. And the only thing that causes that,,, it's a bad throw. And that is all.

They say the best thing an athlete can have is a short memory.

Impossible in the modern "GOTCHA" geared world.

Kardashian Kulture.

~Puke

We're not discussing whether it was a poor throw or not - everyone knows it was a poor throw.  Not the point of any of this Bang.

We're not discussing whether it was a poor throw or not - everyone knows it was a poor throw.  Not the point of any of this Bang.

The point of this is how he handles his responsibility, which I have given my opinion of.

it's locker room gossip exacerbated by a gotcha media and a fan base with 

a/ unreasonable expectations, and 

b/ a seeming lust for controversy.

This distraction of all the various comments and what they mean is ridiculous. Kardashian Kulture. Manufactured  silliness, whether they said it or not.

Football players handle this on their own. At least they always used to. 

Now the continuous soap operas that are created around their words adds a facet of pressures they should not have to be dealing with.

and the fact still is that if he throws the ball another 6 yards, no one is thrown under any bus, no matter who called what or ran where.

reporters MOB these guys moments after they step off the field, the expectation that all of them will perfectly say the right thing, or even say exactly what they mean is ridiculous.

MASSIVE media overload, the race to be the first that tweets out the 'story'..  it drives this stuff. Speculation as reality, forcing questions that don't even need to exist.

Whether or not that is actually what you guys are talking about in the various conversations that are going back and forth, i think it fits under the thread topic.

to be honest,  in the Stadium i hardly ever remember in which thread i post what thought. so many of the conversations run along the same lines. . So i might be crosstalking over two or even three of them.

;)

~Bang

I don't understand some people. Griffin is not a "kid". He is a 23 year old man. A rookie, yes. A kid? No.

Does Luck act this way?

What the **** does Andrew Luck have to do with this and why do people keep bringing him up like he's the ultimate barometer for what a QB should be? Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers and many others all have different mannerisms concerning on the field behavior and post game press conferences. Enough with the comparisons too Luck, two different kids with two different personalities, one not any better than the other.

Well like Cooley said, Shanahan pulls the same crap not taking the blame for losses. They asked him a similar question in the post game if he blames the coaching for the loss against philly and he coached spoke about it being a number of issues. No Mike, it starts at the top. We were outcoached and out schemed for a must win game that the team had 10 days to prepare for.

if it makes you feel better making such definitive declarations then by all means.  You should be on the sidelines coaching obviously.  The defense made adjustments and made stops enough to give the offense a chance to come back and tie the game.  We were on the precipice of scoring again and needing a 2 point conversion when our QB decided on 3 rd and 1 to throw the ball up for grabs 30 + yds down field back peddling vs throwing it a much shorter distance out of bounds at the sticks/line of scrimmage and try and get that 1 yd on the next play.  

Moss talking did him some good

“Bottom line, last play of the game, I tried to throw the ball away and it didn’t work. It’s my fault. I didn’t get it far enough in the back of the end zone and that’s all anybody needs to know really.”

Griff today

Griff said that on Sunday too.

It may be semantics in your view... but not in other obviously.

Close only counts in "horse shoes and hand gernades"

It only matters to people who've been secretly clinging to the hope Cousins would one day get his shot. I mean you had guys dogging both TD passes in the game day thread because they were upset that he threw them. I mean think about that for a second, how many other teams have fans that get butt hurt when their starting QB throws a TD pass?

Moss talking did him some good

“Bottom line, last play of the game, I tried to throw the ball away and it didn’t work. It’s my fault. I didn’t get it far enough in the back of the end zone and that’s all anybody needs to know really.”

Griff today

I think Moss knows he wrapped a BS explanation of what he was really trying to do around "it's my fault".  So yeah, it's his fault that he did almost nothing right on that play.  When you throw the ball away, you leave no doubt.  That ball was so far in the field of play, I think he was trying to throw it up to Paulsen thinking it was 4th down, hence his "can't take a sack in that situation" comment."  There were 35-40 seconds on the clock.

It only matters to people who've been secretly clinging to the hope Cousins would one day get his shot. I mean you had guys dogging both TD passes in the game day thread because they were upset that he threw them. I mean think about that for a second, how many other teams have fans that get butt hurt when their starting QB throws a TD pass?

I wasn't on the game day thread... Don't throw me in with that crowd.  Sure there can be ill advised throws that result in TDs  it happens multiple times every weekend.  Some times it's better to be lucky than good is the saying.  However, pointing that out I don't think is dogging someone.  

Archived