Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

Hopefully, 6 months from now, this won't turn into another "the Redskins love to win the offseason" discussions.

the difference now though will be that Cerrato is gone.  Yes, I really believe that will be a HUGE difference.  No 100 million dollar contracts to people with major questions.  Even if we miss on a guy, it won't be for an obscene amount of money.

RT Jared Veldheer ... OC Alex Mack ... ILB Pat Angerer ... FS TJ Ward

Re-Sign DeAngelo Hall ... Re-sign Perry Riley ... re-sign Reed Doughty ... 

Release Chris Chester ... Release Stephen Bowen ...

Draft NT in the 2nd ... shift Cofield to DE with Carriker/Jenkins ... 

Draft CB ... draft WR ... draft OG

Hopefully trade Cousins for a 2nd ... maybe a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and a 4th ...

Use extra picks to get BPAs and playmakers.

The end.

You know, Shanahan used his first #1 on a LT, the second #1 on a OLB, and the third (and fourth and fifth) on a QB.

The highest he's picked a receiver is Hank in the 3rd round. And the highest RB was Helu in the 4th.

I'm assuming he's coming back. Clearly we don't have a #1. But we'll have a high 2. And they should be able to get a solid DL or LB there.

I think I would target RT, NT, FS and ILB in FA. And then fill in best player available in the draft.

I'd also like a 3-4 DC if we could draft one of those. ;)

Have seen some talk here of possibly signing Aqib Talib --- might be one of the best CB's on the market but not sure the hefty price tag will be worth it.

Not focusing too much on his struggles last night against the Panthers but seeing some of his outburts reminded me of our own D Hall in previous seasons - the D Hall who lost control of his emotions and committed ill timed and inexcusable penalties.

Also he seems to get banged up alot even during games.  Again last night he couldn't play an entire game and was on the sideline while Cam drove the Panthers down for the winning TD.

Talib looks to have the Shawn Springs durability issues when he was with the Skins.  Great talent but can't stay on the field and plays only when full healthy...

Have seen some talk here of possibly signing Aqib Talib --- might be one of the best CB's on the market but not sure the hefty price tag will be worth it.

Not focusing too much on his struggles last night against the Panthers but seeing some of his outburts reminded me of our own D Hall in previous seasons - the D Hall who lost control of his emotions and committed ill timed and inexcusable penalties.

Also he seems to get banged up alot even during games.  Again last night he couldn't play an entire game and was on the sideline while Cam drove the Panthers down for the winning TD.

Talib looks to have the Shawn Springs durability issues when he was with the Skins.  Great talent but can't stay on the field and plays only when full healthy...

He has injury issues, character issues and I've read more than once that there is concern about what he'll turn into once given the security of a long-term deal. And yes, he's going to cost a ton.

Talib is a very bad idea.

Push the pocket on D and hold the pocket on O. Outside of perhaps coaching, I think we can all agree these are our two biggest problems this year. After these two, a second wr and coverage vs rbs/tes are the next two problems. After this comes ST personnel and safeties.

Fixing NT doesn't seem too plausible via FA, although its a long shot in the draft as well. Should the FO (knowing there are plenty of other holes to fill) consider trading up to try to get a NT?

Part of me says no, of course not - not with the aforementioned holes. But part of me thinks that it may be worth it to get our guy. A FA ILB, safety and o-lineman (or two) would go a long way toward making a trade up easier to swallow. Drafting a couple wrs and a couple more linemen would help as well though that would come after a trade up if they went that route.

I love the idea of Linval Joeseph but I expect the Giants to make it a priority to resign him in the off season - Still they have said that before and they have Nicks to resign (and he is going to expect Cruz money as a jump off)  and while they have cap space next year but they have to fill out about half their roster with it - a lot of their upcomming FA are coming off cheap deals and they might be pressed if they get to a bidding war ...

If that happens I love me some ex NY DL - we have had good fortune with them in the past and I am thinking of recent history like Colefield and Griffin .. I am convinced by the moving Colefield to DE (interestingly on that I heard Carriker returned to practice this week) but to get this defense to work I think we need some better ideas at DC .

I still say you have to sign Orakpo - As much hate as he gets he is a good team guy and a great OLB contributing in all aspects of the defense - Jackson is good but he is not a starter ... and remember if you want Jackson back and pass on signing Orakpo you are going to be paying Jackson as a starter - Is Jackson worth 7-8 million a year ?

I really dont see Winston as an upgrade over Polumbus at this point .. there is a reason he is kicking around the league and it is not some tinfoil hat conspiracy theory ....he is just not that good ..

He has injury issues, character issues and I've read more than once that there is concern about what he'll turn into once given the security of a long-term deal. And yes, he's going to cost a ton.

Talib is a very bad idea.

Not to mention that CB is not even in our top 6-8 areas of concern. The ONLY reason we need to consider Talib or any other CB is if for some reason we can not resign Hall....

You know, Shanahan used his first #1 on a LT .....

He's also only ever used 7 picks the top three rounds out of the 50 he's ever had his career on offensive linemen. (1: 2LT/ 1RT; 2: G; 3: 1LT/ 2G.). And hardly ever splashed big in FA on linemen. about the two biggest are Schlereth from ourselves back in '95 and tackle Tony Jones from the Ravens 2 years later. You then jump right through to the trade gamble on the broken down Jamal Brown for the his next big splash if you can call it that with ourselves. The rest have been cheep nobody's he's tried to fit in. 

It wasn't your point, by Shanahan has never really valued the offensive line in comparison to other positions his whole career.  

Hail. 

Below are the big men for the defensive line.  Immediately I see names like Terrance Cody and Linval Joseph and I get excited.  I'll be interested to see who makes it out and gets to the market but there is a bit more talent on this list than there is on the FS list.  It's not flooded, but we're in decent shape.  http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/defensive-tackle/available/

Jason Hatcher – DT – UFA – DAL -31 - $2,600,000

Henry Melton – DT – UFA – CHI – 27 - $8,450,000

Randy Starks – DT – UFA – MIA – 29 - $8,450,000

Jonathan Babineaux – DT –UFA – ATL – 32 - $5,200,000

Terrence Cody – DT – UFA – BAL – 25 - $910,000

Landon Cohen – DT – UFA – CHI – 27 - $518,823

Colin Cole – DT – UFA – CAR – 33 - $555,000

Nate Collins – DT – UFA – CHI – 25 - $630,000

Christian Cox – DT – RFA – NE – 27 -

Brandon Deaderick – DT – UFA – JAC – 26 - $630,000

Fred Evans – DT – UFA – MIN – 30 - $1,750,000

Andre Fluellen – DT – UFA – DET – 28 - $428,823

Aubrayo Franklin – DT – UFA – IND – 33 - $1,105,000

Gary Gibson – DT – UFA – TB – 31 - $1,000,000

Jarvis Green – DT – UFA – HOU – 34 -

Corvey Irvin – DT – UFA – DAL – 28 - $259,411

Peria Jerry – DT – UFA – ATL – 29 - $2,010,000

Tank Johnson – DT – UFA – CIN – 31 - $2,450,000

Antonio Johnson – DT – UFA – TEN – 28 - $800,000

Linval Joseph – DT – UFA – NYG – 25 - $1,012,000

Jake Laptad – DT – RFA – CHI – 25 -

Kyle Love – DT – UFA – KC – 27 - $0

Sen'Derrick Marks – DT – UFA – JAC – 26 - $1,500,000

Terrell McClain – DT – RFA – HOU – 25 - $555,000

Tony McDaniel – DT – UFA – SEA – 28 - $605,000

Clinton McDonald – DT – UFA – SEA – 26 - $592,941

Earl Mitchell – DT – RFA – HOU – 26 - $827,125

Daniel Muir – DT – UFA – OAK – 30 - $391,765

Ogemdi Nwaguo – DT – UFA – DET – 27 –

Jeff Owens – DT – RFA – PHI – 27 -

Corey Peters – DT – UFA – ATL – 25 - $1,514,750

Ryan Pickett – DT – UFA – GB – 34 - $6,700,000

Jay Ratliff – DT – UFA – CHI – 32 - $261,176

Shaun Rogers – DT – UFA – NYG – 34 - $620,000

Frostee Rucker – DT – UFA – ARI – 30 - $620,000

Paul Soliai – DT – UFA – MIA – 29 - $7,375,000

Alameda Ta'amu – DT – ERFA – ARI – 23 - $480,000

Cam Thomas – DT – UFA – SD – 26 - $1,370,825

Everrette Thompson – DT – ERFA – ARI – 23 - $288,000

Mitch Unrein – DT – RFA – DEN – 26 - $555,000

Vance Walker – DT – UFA – OAK – 26 - $2,000,000

Kevin Williams – DT – UFA – MIN – 33 - $5,000,000

Corey Wootton – DT – UFA – CHI – 26 - $1,449,793

As I scan down the above list, my mind goes back to the 2012 draft and Alameda Ta'amu. 

We passed on him for the 'luxury' pick of Cousins. Now I appreciate Ta'amu's career in the pro's has yet to really start, but man does he have everything (bar a reported questionable work ethic which there's still time to change in a young guy of 23) you could wish for in a prototype zero technique 34 nose. 

If the Cards don't sign him up after his year there at the VERY least I bring him into camp. 

Hail. 

As I scan down the above list, my mind goes back to the 2012 draft and Alameda Ta'amu. 

We passed on him for the 'luxury' pick of Cousins. Now I appreciate Ta'amu's career in the pro's has yet to really start, but man does he have everything (bar a reported questionable work ethic which there's still time to change in a young guy of 23) you could wish for in a prototype zero technique 34 nose. 

If the Cards don't sign him up after his year there at the VERY least I bring him into camp. 

Hail. 

Yeah, I remember that, too.  It blew my mind.  (to clarify, it blew my mind at the time).

Not that excited about Cody. For cheap, I guess. Joseph is the guy we should want.

Agreed.  I don't watch a lot of Ravens games on purpose, but from what I have seen they don't appear to like him as much as I thought they would.

It would have to be for cheap.

Yeah, I remember that, too.  It blew my mind.  (to clarify, it blew my mind at the time).....

Oh man I went NUTS in I think it was Justin's 2012 draft prospects thread that draft day when that happened and the big Samoan was still on the board. 

Would it still blow your mind to bring him in? Or have we found something we disagree on?  :lol:

Hail. 

Agreed.  I don't watch a lot of Ravens games on purpose, but from what I have seen they don't appear to like him as much as I thought they would.

It would have to be for cheap.

If we can't get Joesph, I would prefer Raji or Soliai even though they are older than I would prefer. Cody's a decent back-up plan, sign cheap and then plan on getting someone else in the draft and hope than one or the combination fills the position.

Oh man I went NUTS in I think it was Justin's 2012 draft prospects thread that draft day when that happened and the big Samoan was still on the board. 

Would it still blow your mind to bring him in? Or have we found something we disagree on?  :lol:

Hail. 

Absolutely not.  I wanted him then and now.  Why not?  When we traded the pick and basically gave the Steelers this kid I was so mad.

He didn't work out up there and I'm not saying he'd light the world on fire but I'd absolutely bring him in.

You know, Shanahan used his first #1 on a LT, the second #1 on a OLB, and the third (and fourth and fifth) on a QB.

The highest he's picked a receiver is Hank in the 3rd round. And the highest RB was Helu in the 4th.

I'm assuming he's coming back. Clearly we don't have a #1. But we'll have a high 2. And they should be able to get a solid DL or LB there.

I think I would target RT, NT, FS and ILB in FA. And then fill in best player available in the draft.

I'd also like a 3-4 DC if we could draft one of those. ;)

I hope Haslet is not back for and when we do decide to pick D.

Archived