Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

He signed a 3 year deal. We should have dumped London and gone after him.

Rufus, he broke my heart.

I totally agree.  Sometimes pomp and circumstance bites you in the ass.  Look no further than the Steelers the last few years or the few seasons here after we won Super Bowl 26.

When we turn the corner and start taking the approach of "what's best for the organization" I think we'll see noticable differences all around.

Brad Jones the L'pool back-up 'keeper? 

lol, I'll need to see you over in the soccer thread about this Suarez news.  That immediately ruined my day.

lol, I'll need to see you over in the soccer thread about this Suarez news.  That immediately ruined my day.

My immediate reaction was 'Oh dear Lord WHAT has he gone and done now ..... ?'; but upon investigation I presume you're referring to the new Madrid rumour. 

It's simple. If they want him, they can pony up more than they paid for Bale and we'll sit down and talk. 

Or they can politely GTF!

Hail. 

Anybody that wants to play fantasy GM for the Skins should check this out.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Redskins

Wow ... that's amazing!

So I re-signed Hall, Riley, Orakpo, Jackson, Doughty ... ERFA'd Baker, Worthington, Aldrick Robinson ...

Released/Cut: Fletcher, Morgan, Bowen, Chester, Merriweather, Wilson

Left with $20 million. 

If you take Orakpo off that I'm up to $26 million (gave him 5 years, $16mm signing bonus).

With Orakpo around ... you set aside about $4 million for draft picks and you're down to $16 million. Set aside about $5 million for 4-5 depth guys in FA

Set aside about $3 million for cushion to cover in-season injuries

Now you're down to about $8 million to assign to 3-4 key free agents. Not sure that would be enough. 

Obviously there's a ton of flexibility.

It's simple. If they want him, they can pony up more than they paid for Bale and we'll sit down and talk. 

Or they can politely GTF!

Hail. 

That's what I told my brother.  I'd listen for 50 mil and two players or 120.  It's up to them. :)

Wow ... that's amazing!

So I re-signed Hall, Riley, Orakpo, Jackson, Doughty ... ERFA'd Baker, Worthington, Aldrick Robinson ...

Released/Cut: Fletcher, Morgan, Bowen, Chester, Merriweather, Wilson

I haven't clicked on it yet, but how did you cut Fletcher, Wilson, and Meriweather?  They aren't under contract for next sesaon. 

Chester and Bowen should go and I'm not sure if Carriker is under contract either but he needs to go as well.

That's what I told my brother.  I'd listen for 50 mil and two players or 120.  It's up to them. :)

I haven't clicked on it yet, but how did you cut Fletcher, Wilson, and Meriweather?  They aren't under contract for next sesaon. 

Chester and Bowen should go and I'm not sure if Carriker is under contract either but he needs to go as well.

The site still has the players who have voiding contracts on the books so you just have to cut Fletcher, Morgan and Merriweather unless you choose the option to restructure which I doubt anybody would do.

Get me Decker all day long. Big guy with nose for end zone and good route runner.

On Defense, need safety before CB I think.

# 3- land stud interior O-lineman, either G or C.

I can't get on board with the Decker signing. I think he's a solid player, but don't see him making an impact on this team. Lastly, I think he will be payed too much due to his numbers this year with Manning. 

I would like the Skins to sign a legitimate deep threat to compliment the run game and Garcon/Reed. 

Do we have any dead cap hit on the voided contacts of Fletcher, meriweather and Morgan for the 2014 season? And if carriker doesn't play at all this season and we release him do we still have to pay him all his cap for this year and will we get a cap credit towards next year.

Yes on Carriker.  He is actually under contract next year.  Same with Chester.

Not necessarily on Fletcher and BMeri.

I do think that Morgan has some money spread into next season.

I think we have to keep Kory Lich.  He can gain some weight and play center for a couple of years, but given the garuntee in his contract he definitely got starter money.

My wish list is as follows:

1.Alex Mack

2.Sam Shields

3.Branden Albert

4.Stevie Brown

5.jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel sanders or James jones

6.Alan branch

7.Paul Soliai

8.Donald Butler

9.Pat Angerer

10.Brian de la puente

Any combination of those players would make me happy.

I think Carriker and even Bowen can still be good players for us, but dang... their cap hits are rough.

Carriker - 6.75 (4.1 bonus remaining)

Bowen - 7.02 mil (5.24 bonus remaining)

Chester - 4.3 (2.6 bonus remaining)

If my math is right, those three as June 1st cuts would save roughly 10 mil this year but count around 5.5 toward the 2015 cap.

Cutting Bowen and Cofield will save about $2 million apiece ... and will carry about $11 million in dead money but only for 2014. If they are designated as June 1st cuts .. then you're talking about shaving off about $10 million and only carrying $4 million dead space in 2014 ... none beyond (that I can see) in either case.

Cutting Carriker would save $3 million but also carry a dead cap hit of $3 million in 2014. Designating him as a June 1st cut would save $5 million with a $1.5 million hit.

Cutting Chester saves $3 million ... it only costs $800k more to designate him on June 1st. His might be the only one that really makes sense at this point.

So if you know you're going to cut a player on June 1st you can use FA and the draft to account for their losses ... and I don't think you have to be under the cap until a certain point. So we could plan to have those savings from Carriker/Bowen/Cofield ... but that just seems silly.

I bet we keep Cofield and cut Carriker and Bowen. But what do I know. Wait til June 1 and save the $9 million rather than the $5 million just cutting them outright.

If you sign an OG, RT, FS, ILB in FA and draft NT ... you could justify being able to let go of Chester, Bowen and Carriker on June 1st. Right there you cut off about $12 million

So if you know you're going to cut a player on June 1st you can use FA and the draft to account for their losses ... and I don't think you have to be under the cap until a certain point. So we could plan to have those savings from Carriker/Bowen/Cofield ... but that just seems silly.

Correct, the rule of 51 (where only the top 51 salaries count against the cap) comes into effect as soon as the league year starts and remains in effect until the 53 man roster is due to the league.

Also, any garunteed money from a cut that's after 1 June (or the one "designated" 1 June cut that we have prior to 1 June) will get accelerated into the 2015 cap.

So we save money in 2014 but when 2015 rolls around we have to deal with it then.

Ah, okay that makes sense. So that money is hitting the cap somewhere. Then ... it may not be a great idea to cut ties with Bowen/Carriker or Cofield. If you're really only saving $2 million per player, are you really going to be able to replace them for less? If you're drafting someone, sure. But I'm not so sure those are simple "let em go" situations just to add to the cap.

Chester makes sense, though.

I'm also not sure how accurate this is. It does have players under contracts that are voidable on there. So Morgan ... if you release him outright, has a $3mm cap hit. If you do a June 1 cut it's only $1mm cap hit. That can't be right. So take some of this with a grain of salt.

Cutting Chester and Carriker ... plus the voidable deals ... gets us to $37 million in cap space. That's a lot of space but we do have quite a few holes to fill. 

1. Draft a NT ... kick Cofield out to DE (to fill void left by Carriker) ... draft someone in the latter rounds for depth/grooming

2. Re-sign either Jackson or Orakpo --- mitigates the potential hole at OLB

3. Re-sign Perry Riley and make a young, impact ILB a priority in the FA market --- mitigates potential hole there

4. Re-sign DeAngelo Hall ... use a 3rd rounder on a CB or go sign a CB (dude from Titans?) to beef up position

5. Sign an OG to replace Chester. If you think LeReibus is ready ... dump Licthensteiger for an additionl $3mm cap savings

6. Draft a WR --- bring back Robinson and Hankerson ... sign a FA (Britt?) for cheap with upside ala Garcon signing

7. Sign a FS ... keep grooming Rambo as depth ... but the hole there needs to be filled. Hope Phil Thomas can take over SS

I can see all of the above happening with the money we have ... and I would argue that would fix a LOT of our problems.

I think adding NT/ILB/FS to our defense would make it exponentially better ... so those should be the focus!

So far fellas, I've had my eye on quite a few players. I really wanted Louis Delmas or Chris Clemons at Safety last year and it turns out Chris Clemons is on the FA list again...

Jon Asamoah, G - IMO, best interior lineman out there, severely underrated.

Vontae Davis, CB - He's got the skills to be a top CB in the league and at times he shown it. He got lazy against Andre Johnson, but who wouldn't get tired of that...

Brandon Browner, CB - 6'4, underrated when playing next to Sherman who IMO is overrated... Seahawks are stacked to the brim. With Browner out with a groin injury and no real loss of production, I could see him elsewhere in 2014.

Chris Clemons, S - Just watch him play, he's an anchor on that defense in Miami and will be a big loss for them when he's gone. Top 5 Safety in the league

TJ Ward, S - Top 5 Safety in the league, IMO. He's always been on losing teams and still managed to be the leader of that defense. He plays with fire. Cleveland will have to find a way to resign him  and Alex Mack and still have some money left over, but if they don't, I think Ward rejuvenates our defense alone.

I do not want Byrd on this team. he seems like a Me, Me, Me player.

Lastly, Danario Alexander, WR. I wanted to pick him up last year when he was a RFA. He showed some dynamic ability when finally given the chance and was showing up to play... unfortunately now he's on IR for the Chargers but I have faith in his redemption next year. I also don't see the Chargers keeping him around with the emergence of Keenan Allen which should have been expected anyway

"The quickness with which the procedure was performed suggests DX's ACL tear was clean and affected no other ligaments." 6'5, 217lbs

What would those guys cost? Asamoah ... OG ... Alex Mack ... OC ... TJ Ward ... FS ... those would make me happy. People keep talking about Pat Angerer at ILB but I honestly don't know a whole lot about him. 

Hypothetically speaking:

Asamoah ($4mm a year)

Mack ($6MM a year)

Ward ($4mm a year)

Angerer ($4mm a year)

Danario Alexander ($4mm a year)

Re-sign Hall ($3mm a year)

Re-sign Riley ($4mm a year)

Re-sign Jackson ($3mm a year)

Right there is $32 million eaten up. $5 million for draft picks ... aren't left with much more. That said, you could arguably fill every hole except NT in that scenario. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to doing it though. I could see us drafting an ILB in the 4th round and rolling with that guy and Keenan Robinson to pair with Riley. 

I would love to get Asamoah and Ward ... and maybe Alexander. That would likely not be an expensive route and cuold significantly improve both sides of the ball.

JMS -

I'm thinking more along the lines of

4 year, 25 mil contract for TJ Ward

2 year, 4 mil contract for Danario (DX) Alexander

5 year, 40 mil for Asamoah (younger and better than Carl Nicks, IMO)

4 year, 25 mil for Mack

5 year, 25 mil for Angerer

But don't add it all in at once. Remember in professional sports you are playing with incentives, bonuses, and guaranteed money. Not all of it is costing us on the top 51 or on the books.

Chester makes sense, though.

Yeah Chester makes sense for a couple of reasons.  His money and his performance being two... but three, we have 3 guards (Hurt, Gettis, Ribs) that had better be ready to step up next year.  I mean, we're talking two years of seasoning for these guys at least.  Also Compton could probably play guard if need be, as well.  Bottom line, we should have better and cheaper options.

Carriker is another one.  He carries a huge contract that had me scratching my head when he signed it, and then he also hasn't played in two years.  I love his work ethic, but those kind of injuries linger on big men at his age.  It's been real, AC.

I got to about $22 million for those year 1 deals. That would leave us, after $5m for draft picks and $2-3m for roster flexibility in-season ... with about $10m to sign our own guys. I guess we could get that done.

What do you think Veldheer would cost at RT? I think RT and RG are higher priorities than OC. As much as I would love to have Mack I think Monty would play better with better surrounding talent ... or we could slide over Licht if it turns out LeReibus or Gettis is ready for a promotion to LG

Cutting Chester and Carriker ... plus the voidable deals ... gets us to $37 million in cap space. That's a lot of space but we do have quite a few holes to fill. 

1. Draft a NT ... kick Cofield out to DE (to fill void left by Carriker) ... draft someone in the latter rounds for depth/grooming

2. Re-sign either Jackson or Orakpo --- mitigates the potential hole at OLB

3. Re-sign Perry Riley and make a young, impact ILB a priority in the FA market --- mitigates potential hole there

4. Re-sign DeAngelo Hall ... use a 3rd rounder on a CB or go sign a CB (dude from Titans?) to beef up position

5. Sign an OG to replace Chester. If you think LeReibus is ready ... dump Licthensteiger for an additionl $3mm cap savings

6. Draft a WR --- bring back Robinson and Hankerson ... sign a FA (Britt?) for cheap with upside ala Garcon signing

7. Sign a FS ... keep grooming Rambo as depth ... but the hole there needs to be filled. Hope Phil Thomas can take over SS

I can see all of the above happening with the money we have ... and I would argue that would fix a LOT of our problems.

I think adding NT/ILB/FS to our defense would make it exponentially better ... so those should be the focus!

I love where you are going.  We do need to be careful how much future money we are cutting.  We shouldn't be scared to, but we should be careful (and we will in real life for sure, lol) because we have two monster contracts with Trent and Griffin coming up as well as the possibility that AlMo gets paid.

So the less dead money the better (reference Lichtensteiger).

Archived