Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

If we can't get Joesph, I would prefer Raji or Soliai even though they are older than I would prefer. Cody's a decent back-up plan, sign cheap and then plan on getting someone else in the draft and hope than one or the combination fills the position.

Yeah, and I was just going to comment that some of these older stop gaps have actually played decently at NT through about 33 to 34 years old.  But it has to be at the right price.

I'd love Raji, Green Bay has gotten a little more liberal with their "stance" on player retention of late.  Especially after bringing Jolly back.  Not sure where their cap number is though.

I'm also hesitant to bring in big men who have recently won Super Bowls.  But I'd sit at the table with Raji.

Absolutely not.  I wanted him then and now.  Why not?  When we traded the pick and basically gave the Steelers this kid I was so mad.

He didn't work out up there and I'm not saying he'd light the world on fire but I'd absolutely bring him in.

*Old wiping brow smiley.

Phew. For a mad moment there Colonel I thought I was gona' have to go all Scally on yers and sort this out old school behind the woodshed!

*Calms ..... Normality has resumed and the force is at peace again. Continue on. 

Hail. 

*Old wiping brow smiley.

Phew. For a mad moment there Sergeant I thought I was gona' have to go all Scally on yers and sort this out old school behind the woodshed!

*Calms ..... Normality has resumed and the force is at peace again. Continue on. 

Hail. 

Fixed it for you.  I work for a living, big bro. :)

Please do not resign josh wilson. PLEASE

We could do a lot worse than Joshua Wilson.  It would depend on the money.  I think we've had a pretty good return on Wilson based on what we paid for him.

Yeah, and I was just going to comment that some of these older stop gaps have actually played decently at NT through about 33 to 34 years old.  But it has to be at the right price.

I'd love Raji, Green Bay has gotten a little more liberal with their "stance" on player retention of late.  Especially after bringing Jolly back.  Not sure where their cap number is though.

I'm also hesitant to bring in big men who have recently won Super Bowls.  But I'd sit at the table with Raji.

I wouldn't worry too much about a guy just because he won a title several years ago.

I don't know specifically how much room the Packers have, but the contracts to Rodgers and Matthews are gonna be taking up a huge amount of cap the next few years, and there are some other big contracts, like Tramon Williams and AJ Hawk, with some big extensions coming (Cobb, Nelson) and Raji, Shields and Jones, among many others, hitting the market. Letting Raji go seems like a real possibility in the 'tough choices' category.

I wouldn't worry too much about a guy just because he won a title several years ago.

I don't know specifically how much room the Packers have, but the contracts to Rodgers and Matthews are gonna be taking up a huge amount of cap the next few years, and there are some other big contracts, like Tramon Williams and AJ Hawk, with some big extensions coming (Cobb, Nelson) and Raji, Shields and Jones, among many others, hitting the market. Letting Raji go seems like a real possibility in the 'tough choices' category.

It's not everyone.  It's just the big men.  I don't know why.  They just don't seem as hungry and they always seem out to get a big deal with very few exceptions.

And I am tracking Joseph is in this category.  But I'm interested. :)

EDIT:  I also don't know what they did with Brad Jones but he should be up if they tendered him last off season.  I know he was the heart throb/heart breaker and home wrecker of last year's FA thread.

**** set me up.

EDIT:  I also don't know what they did with Brad Jones but he should be up if they tendered him last off season.  I know he was the heart throb/heart breaker and home wrecker of last year's FA thread.

**** set me up.

Brad Jones the L'pool back-up 'keeper? 

If he's coming, I'M coming. I, uhmmm, speak fluent Aussie. He'll need an interpreter. (Or I'll need him to interpret for me. If I had a nickel for everything American that's ever said "Sir, can you please slow down and start again'). Whichever, he comes, I come!

WOOT! Reds take DC! This is a good day. I shall go pack me butties for the trip. 

Hail. 

**** set me up.

He signed a 3 year deal. We should have dumped London and gone after him.

Alex mack is a unrestricted fa..no way

Uhh, what?

He signed a 3 year deal. We should have dumped London and gone after him.....

I'll NEVER understand the reasoning behind rewarding a 37 year old in such fashion. And anyone making excuses that the cap penalty forced our hand are doing exactly that. I love London and appreciate all he's given this franchise, but that was just plain bat **** economical dumbassery. 

You CAN'T have sentiment in football. You just can't or else your on the slippery slope. 

Hail. 

I'll NEVER understand the reasoning behind rewarding a 37 year old in such fashion. And anyone making excuses that the cap penalty forced our hand are doing exactly that. I love London and appreciate all he's given this franchise, but that was just plain bat **** economical dumbassery. 

You CAN'T have sentiment in football. You just can't or else your on the slippery slope. 

Hail. 

Yeah, that was the original mistake. But we still could have gotten out of it and created bough cap to sign a replacement.

The insiders on twitter seemed to hint that the doctors said he was done last offseason but Mike stuck with him anyway.

I'll never understand the "nobody older than 27/28" arguement. That is when players are hitting their prime and continue to stay at the top until their early 30's (32/33) in almost every position. Where we've gone wong in the pas is signing players who were great at 32 years old and iving them huge, long contracts. ****, we get a great 30 year old NT and FS and give them 2/3 year competitive deals, I bet our D will pop off.

Offense I would like younger up and comers though. A player like Morgan for example. SF wanted to keep him, he looked like he had all the tools and I don't think anybody thought he wouldn't improve a lot this year and most were pretty happy about the signing. He'll be long goe next year, thanks to smart FO contracts and it won't hurt us, but that's how it goes for a young player. It's only a little safer than the draft.

I know one thing though, this offseason, we are going to win the offseason.

Swings and roundabouts. 

The final 3 years voiding works well. The ridiculous money he's picked up to date that was well overpaying in the first instance regardless of how it's turned out here not so much, 

Hail. 

I'm not sure exactly what you just said there. Are you saying the WR we signed to be the #4, who had great potential, to a contract that we can easily void and cut ties with, was't a good risk? I know you think having 18 million dollars less than every other team had no bearing on our signings, but come on now.

I'm not sure exactly what you just said there. Are you saying the WR we signed to be the #4, who had great potential, to a contract that we can easily void and cut ties with, was't a good risk? I know you think having 18 million dollars less than every other team had no bearing on our signings, but come on now.

Actually (though I'm not entirely clear what GHH just said either), the contract was written that way because of the cap penalty and just moved the cap hit into next year. It was a 2 year, 12 mil contract (and yes it was a failure, and no he wasn't given that money to be a #4), with the voidable years put in so a chunk of that 12 mil will count against us next year after he's gone.

2 years, $12 million with $ 7.5 guaranteed for an average receiver at best at that point coming off a serious ankle injury who caught 15 balls the year before we signed him. The fact that they worked the last three years voidable is off-set by the ridiculous use of the limited cap we had to start with in more instances than this. That's gona' bite in more years than the years of the actually cap penalty. 

But as you persist in putting words into my mouth that I've never said is why I won't have a go-around with you on how we contributed to making the the cap penalty which I apparently think had no bearing hit even harder. 

So I'll leave it at that.

Hail. 

Actually (though I'm not entirely clear what GHH just said either), the contract was written that way because of the cap penalty and just moved the cap hit into next year. It was a 2 year, 12 mil contract (and yes it was a failure, and no he wasn't given that money to be a #4), with the voidable years put in so a chunk of that 12 mil will count against us next year after he's gone.

Well, I guess I'm wrong then. Damn it.

Brad Jones the L'pool back-up 'keeper? 

If he's coming, I'M coming. I, uhmmm, speak fluent Aussie. He'll need an interpreter. (Or I'll need him to interpret for me. If I had a nickel for everything American that's ever said "Sir, can you please slow down and start again'). Whichever, he comes, I come!

WOOT! Reds take DC! This is a good day. I shall go pack me butties for the trip. 

Hail. 

I love this topic.  My thoughts:

(1) I think the Front Office knew they were overpaying for Fletcher and I think they were right to do it.  Sure, he's slowing down and has even become a liability, but signing him didn't prevent us from signing a better option.  Remember, he was signed very late in free agency.  There weren't better options available at that point.  It's also impossible to measure his value as a leader.  This locker room is holding together.  With our record, a lot of teams would have fallen apart.

(2) I also don't understand some folk's bashing of our DL.  Our defense is modeled after the Steelers of a few years back.  3-4 lineman are supposed to occupy offensive lineman.  They won't show up AT ALL in the stat boxes.  If people want to replace Bowen or Jenkins because they aren't getting enough sacks or tackles, they are missing the point.  This defense is definitely a poor man's Steeler defense across the board, but plainly what's missing most is the person who is supposed to play the Troy Polamalu role.

I love this topic.  My thoughts:

(1) I think the Front Office knew they were overpaying for Fletcher and I think they were right to do it.  Sure, he's slowing down and has even become a liability, but signing him didn't prevent us from signing a better option.  Remember, he was signed very late in free agency.  There weren't better options available at that point.  It's also impossible to measure his value as a leader.  This locker room is holding together.  With our record, a lot of teams would have fallen apart.

(2) I also don't understand some folk's bashing of our DL.  Our defense is modeled after the Steelers of a few years back.  3-4 lineman are supposed to occupy offensive lineman.  They won't show up AT ALL in the stat boxes.  If people want to replace Bowen or Jenkins because they aren't getting enough sacks or tackles, they are missing the point.  This defense is definitely a poor man's Steeler defense across the board, but plainly what's missing most is the person who is supposed to play the Troy Polamalu role.

If it is molded after the Steelers I wish they would have found a big boy like Casey Hampton at NT. There have been free agents out there that signed cheap (A. Franklin) but they just stuck with Cofield for 4 years.  

If it is molded after the Steelers I wish they would have found a big boy like Casey Hampton at NT. There have been free agents out there that signed cheap (A. Franklin) but they just stuck with Cofield for 4 years.

And personally I wish we'd aim more for the wade phillips 1 gapping 34 rather than the steelers philosophy. I think it better suits cofield at nt (who I also believe gets an inordinate amount of hate when it's our de's who suck). The de's shouldn't post too many stats, but they need to at least be collapsing the pocket or holding their own in the run.

I mentioned in a earlier post that I thought the Skins were wrong to pay Fletcher that much money, people have said he is the leader on defence, but I am sure a cheaper ILB could have got us to 3-7 as well. Don't get me wrong I believe Fletcher haw been one of the best players ever for the skins, but there is no room for sentiment in any sport.

I mentioned in a earlier post that I thought the Skins were wrong to pay Fletcher that much money, people have said he is the leader on defence, but I am sure a cheaper ILB could have got us to 3-7 as well. Don't get me wrong I believe Fletcher haw been one of the best players ever for the skins, but there is no room for sentiment in any sport.

Exactly. The writing was on the wall. You never pay someone for past accomplishments and it was clear his future wasnt worth that much money. Oh well.

Excited to see who we target this year in FA.

Archived