Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

Here it is folks...we're still 2-3 years away IF we get competent coaching. If...

I really don't think we are that far away on offense. If we sort out the right side of the OL, particularly at RT, and add another receiver then I think we are 3 players away from being a very good offense. Guys like Reed and Garcon have kept this offense going through their ability to get separation which nobody else on the offense provides consistently.

Defensively, the entire line needs work, MLB and at safety - basically the heart of the team. If we resign Wilson and Hall, I think that they along with Amerson have more than enough ability to satisfy the requirements at CB - our lack of push in the face of QBs is making our CBs look worse than they are. So, on defense, probably five players in my opinion.

Going from the Over the Cap link ... and taking away players that are FA but for some reason are listed as having contracts (?) ... then taking away Chris Chester and Adam Carriker ... I have a cap number of $86,452,130. I haven't found anything that indicates how much the cap will go up ... but assuming it goes up at the same rate it did from 12 to 13 ... it could be around $126 million. That would put us with $39.5 million in cap space without any restructures.

Need to re-sign D. Hall, one of our OLBs (Jackson/Orakpo), Riley

Either through the first 3 rounds of the draft or FA we need to address: NT, ILB, CB, FS, RT, RG, C, WR in no particular order

Hopefully we do enough through effective, smart FA spending (ala recent years) to go BPA as much as possible in the draft. 

I would be okay spending big money on a NT ... but that's about it! Maybe a stud FS if one becomes available. But I agree with the inside out mentality. Take care of a TRUE NT ... Fletcher's replacement ... and a FS. Those should be the top 3 targets, whether in FA or the draft. If we go into the draft with just 2 "needs" I would be pretty happy. So FA needs to make things happen. Fortunately we got the dough. Just gotta get the structure in place to determine who makes the calls on where that dough gets spent.

In a hypothetical ... I would be happy if we could get Talib (CB), Veldheer (RT), TJ Ward (FS) and an ILB in FA as your primary starter upgrades, then see if you can grab an OG for decent (ala Chester a few years ago), and a solid up-and-coming DE to replace Carriker. Pair that with DeAngelo Hall, Brian Orakpo and Perry Riley being re-signed ... then go into the draft needing a starting NT and WR and the rest depth.

I have been saying since we switched to the 3-4 the D will never be good without a NT. Still dont have one and if we stay with the 3-4 and dont get one we will suck again. Pressure up the middle is the key. As long as we dont have that we will never be a good 3-4 D.

What we need in order IMO:

On D:

1. LB

2. NT

3. DE

4. FS/SS (think Rambo and Thomas will be ok if we can solidify the front 7)

On O:

1. RT

2. C

3. Both G need to be upgraded

4. WR

5. Change of pace back. A dynamic player. Helu is fast, he's not quick nor is he dynamic.

Prob not going to fix all these in one year but. 

With next year being the contract year for shanny, I don't doubt we go a little crazy in fa. Hopefully the guys we get work out as well as fletcher did for us.

Well hopefully Bruce either cans Shanny or i dare say extends him. As LL has been saying on twitter are you going to let a lame duk coach spend $36 mil??? I dont think so.

I keep reading that we need a "true" or "monster" or "game changing" NT being thrown about in threads like these, and I find it somewhat amusing.

Every time I ask this question, and so far no one has been able to answer it. Where is one supposed to find one of these "true" NT's?

at any given time there are what, 5 or 6 elite NT's in the league? Teams that have them don't give them up for nothing.

So with no first round pick and very few good NT's in the league who rarely make it to FA, where are the skins supposed to find one that would be a substantial upgrade over what we have that justifies the $$$ spent?

On offense I'd go line-heavy. Don't worry about the huge targets at WR like Fitz... Try to sign a tier 2 guy that might be a little undervalued like Decker or maybe Hakeem Nicks due to injury and performance concerns. Then draft someone like Brandon Coleman, etc in the 2nd. That would leave us with 2 above average WRs as starters and a young stud to develop that wouldn't be forced to start early.

But we need help big time on the line. OG, RT, OG, C in that order are all positions that could use an upgrade.

This is actually what I would do as well. I think Nicks might be pretty cheap given his lack of production lately and his injuries. However, maybe a change of scenery will do wonders for him. He has a ton of talent and size, just a matter of staying healthy. 

It is misleading to say that Aldrick Robinson and Jose Gumbs are free agents. They are exclusive rights free agents, which means it is entirely at the discretion of the team whether to retain them. Each can be retained with a minimal, one year $570K qualifying offer. Although it is more likely that Robinson is retained, both seem almost guaranteed to receive that qualifying offer. I think they should be included in any "projected lineup."

Edit:

Brandon Meriweather is a free agent that's not on your list. His contract automatically voids after the season. 

If Hall re-signs, I wouldn't consider CB a high priority.

If we do go after one, Alteraun Verner would be my choice.

After Thomas and Rambo, I think this year's new Safeties need to be vets, not draft choices.

Just what I was going to say. I am ok with CB if we bring back Hall. A CB group of Hall, Amerson, Biggers, Crawford and maybe Minnifield... That isn't the problem in the secondary, it's safety. We need better quality veteran safeties to mesh with our draft picks and see which ones step up. 

DC9... My favorite thread as always... Makes me jump back on to ES more frequently! I will share my input shortly and maybe a few of my underrated guys or more realistically attainable guys here soon when I get to a comp.

Looking forward to it. Last year you kept giving a steady dose of underrated or discount guys that would be good fits/upgrades for us. Of course, the team never looked at any of them but I wish they had. 

I keep reading that we need a "true" or "monster" or "game changing" NT being thrown about in threads like these, and I find it somewhat amusing.

Every time I ask this question, and so far no one has been able to answer it. Where is one supposed to find one of these "true" NT's?

at any given time there are what, 5 or 6 elite NT's in the league? Teams that have them don't give them up for nothing.

So with no first round pick and very few good NT's in the league who rarely make it to FA, where are the skins supposed to find one that would be a substantial upgrade over what we have that justifies the $$$ spent?

Pretty sure there was atleast 2 avail last off-season for a decent price and we passed on both. Would rather pay Morgan 6mil. 

DC9... My favorite thread as always... Makes me jump back on to ES more frequently! I will share my input shortly and maybe a few of my underrated guys or more realistically attainable guys here soon when I get to a comp.

I didn't know if you jumped ship on us or you were just being lazy.

Typical questions you have to ask yourself when dealing with a devil dog :P

Good to have you back, brother.

Who is on your wish list this year?

Is the answer 'Anyone NOT named Shanahan?'

Hail. 

I've been driving around most of the day today, just now getting into work for a bit and then leaving again soon.  Bottom line, I've listened to both stations here and the consensus seems to be either wholesale changes or keeping Mike and maybe Kyle and that's it.

I'd be interested to see if Mike was put in that bind if he'd walk.

I'm ready for a change, as much as it pains me to say.  But I want someone who my young franchise quarterback doesn't feel like he's going to walk all over, too.

What's Fitz's contract situation?

Per Rotoworld: 8/20/2011: Signed an eight-year, $128.5 million contract. The deal contains $50 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and first-year roster bonus of $8 million. Fitzgerald is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus in years two through eight.

2013: $5 million (+ $10 million option bonus due 3/15)

2014: $12.75 million

2015: $8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus)

2016: $15 million

2017-2018: $14.75 million

2019: Free Agent

In other words, no chance though I am not sure how the option bonus works and what they lose if he is released. Scheffter reported a few weeks ago they would look to trade him this offseason but that contract will be tough for a team to absorb in addition to giving up picks/players

Fitz is a sexy pick and hard to argue with but myself I want the oline rebuilt.  So I say get going with Center Alex Mack, and then get a  new set of guards and a rt.  Talib and maybe  Rodgers-Cromartie would be nice.  We have a great secondary coach so lets give him some talent with which to do it with.    The Skins have never had a dominate center and Mack is one of the top ones in this league. He also(the center) is usally captain of the oline and then like I said two guards and a RT.  We need to use some of our high picks as well. up to this point it's been low round draft picks and undrafted free agents. When Gibbs  starter his HOF carrer as Coach the Gm got him over two years a young oline that would go on to be one of the greatest of all time and became the foundation of his HOF career.  Sense they broke this team up at the start of the cap time we haven't had a good line.  It's time for that to stop. Time for this front office to remember it's own history.  Heck look at the Giants,  they won 2 SuperBowls because they had the best oline and dline.  its works and with a good to great oline this ab and rb will flourish.  time to get started.

Per Rotoworld: 8/20/2011: Signed an eight-year, $128.5 million contract. The deal contains $50 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and first-year roster bonus of $8 million. Fitzgerald is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus in years two through eight.

2013: $5 million (+ $10 million option bonus due 3/15)

2014: $12.75 million

2015: $8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus)

2016: $15 million

2017-2018: $14.75 million

2019: Free Agent

In other words, no chance though I am not sure how the option bonus works and what they lose if he is released. Scheffter reported a few weeks ago they would look to trade him this offseason but that contract will be tough for a team to absorb in addition to giving up picks/players

I'm sure they would move him before the bonus was due, or have him agree to delay it until they do. No way they can afford to pay it then trade him.

Basically, you have to be able to absorb 15 mil a year or so going forward. Maybe with some reworking lower the cap hit by a bit for a few years, but that of course ups it (and the dead cap if released) down the road.

I'm sure they would move him before the bonus was due, or have him agree to delay it until they do. No way they can afford to pay it then trade him.

Basically, you have to be able to absorb 15 mil a year or so going forward. Maybe with some reworking lower the cap hit by a bit for a few years, but that of course ups it (and the dead cap if released) down the road.

Yeah which is going to be a tough sell for any team, especially us trying to take that on this offseason. 

Yeah... Great fantasy, but no thanks. This team has a lot of other places that money could be better served. With no 1st round pick, and a bad season this year, the Shanahan's (if they're still here) will have no room for error (and plenty of holes to fill) when the offseason roles around, and a new staff will have a lot of work to do in reshaping the roster in their image, without a full draft.

I've been driving around most of the day today, just now getting into work for a bit and then leaving again soon.  Bottom line, I've listened to both stations here and the consensus seems to be either wholesale changes or keeping Mike and maybe Kyle and that's it.

I'd be interested to see if Mike was put in that bind if he'd walk.

I'm ready for a change, as much as it pains me to say.  But I want someone who my young franchise quarterback doesn't feel like he's going to walk all over, too.

NO WAY he willingly walks away from next years $ 7 million. 

You either extend him and bring him back, which would be the worst possible scenario for me but the only possible way I see you let him attack FA; or you swallow the pay-off and cut ties. 

Which even for Snyder, is a big ass chunk to swallow on top of a new HC contract. 

Tough ass decisions coming up for lil' Danny that will make or break the RGIII era in Washington IMHO. 

Hail. 

No way to Fitz. I think the best shot at a "big name" at WR we hit this off-season is with Hakeem Nicks. Maybe to a similar contract structure that we gave Garcon a couple years ago ... but Fitz does not fit where this team needs to go from an age/salary standpoint. Nicks might.

It is very tough to speculate where and who we will be addressing this off-season. If Shanahan sticks ... I would imagine the OL would stay more or less in tact. They fit what he wants to do. Maybe we upgrade at 1-2 positions, but no whole-sale changes. If there is a regime change, I could actually envision  3-4 replacements. That sounds crazy ... but a new regime may have no use for an athletic, undersized ZBS player. How many could fit both I do not know ... but I don't think Lichtensteiger or Polumbus ... and even Montgomery, fit a prototypical role. 

Same with the defense. Who is going to replace Haz? Will it be a 3-4 coordinator or a 4-3 guy? That would seriously impact where we go this off-season in the front 7. 

Speculation is fun, but the more I think about it, the more my head hurts .There are just too many unknowns. What we can say, though, is we probably need at least one NEW impact player in the secondary, an answer at ILB, a WR2 and a RT.

Archived