Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

Dream scenario is that we throw at Has and switch back to a 4-3. Rak and Kerrigan would automatically improve and Cofield is already a solid DT. Probably won't happen though. Free agency should look for a playmaker as there aren't many OL or DL that I think would be a fit.

Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks, Anquan Boldin are all available. Don't expect to get any of them but no harm in trying to make a run at one.

Rak is a little under-sized at DE, as is Kerrigan.  They are both playing the right position for them right now.  They just need to do it better. 

Bowen does not need to be cut

Rak should be back.  Hell, I expect he'll either be franchise or transitioned

Why in the world do you think they keep Davis?  And honestly some of your logic is a little off, not taking into account actual roster spots and coaching history.  You have six OL listed with three starters needed and you say a backup LT is needed.  We will most likely carry one swing backup T.

Bowen for the big ass contract for what he is. Orakpo I wouldn't have anywhere near this team except for money and a situational role he doubtless won't fall down to. Under a different staff, I could well see a way back into the fold for Davis down to the talent he brings to the table. 

The numbers per position are subjective. This was more looking at the players we currently have, and who I'd ideally keep and in what slots I see their worth as of now, 

Hail. 

Fix the LINE! An average defense with a great offense equals about 9 wins a year. Defense is too far away for major renovation. Offense is close to being a monster. Make the defense average (however you can do it) and the offense a consistent beast by getting some linemen and maybe another WR to help Pierre out. 

Bowen for the big ass contract for what he is. Orakpo I wouldn't have anywhere near this team except for money and a situational role he doubtless won't fall down to. Under a different staff, I could well see a way back into the fold for Davis down to the talent he brings to the table.

The numbers per position are subjective. This was more looking at the players we currently have, and who I'd ideally keep and in what slots I see their worth as of now,

Hail.

As you feel towards Orakpo, I feel towards Davis.

Fix the LINE! An average defense with a great offense equals about 9 wins a year. Defense is too far away for major renovation. Offense is close to being a monster. Make the defense average (however you can do it) and the offense a consistent beast by getting some linemen and maybe another WR to help Pierre out. 

The line on both sides of the ball is a priority. Our O-Line and D-Line are awful. You win football games in the trenches. Def important to shore up this issue

I think you're dreaming. Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace. All those guys had issues, either with health or attitude, or suspension. And each of them got 11-12 mil per year. Nicks is a better receiver than any of them, and an injury riddled season isn't going to drop it to nothing.

Trying to come up with comparable Cs, the guys who I think of are Nick Mangold (7.2 mil per year) or Chris Myers (6.25). Being a good deal younger than Myers and not limited to ZBS probably means he is more likely to get Mangold numbers, likely higher by hitting the market and thru inflation.

You're probably. I am not sure on C salary numbers but I thought someone tossed out $6mil earlier so I went with that. I was definitely hoping big on Nicks but I don't think he gets $10mil +  either for what his production and injury history the past couple of seasons have been. The best thing he has going for him is size and youth. I don't think he is regarded as being in the same league as the WRs you mentioned. Also, Mike Wallace was overpaid big time and it could cause a little hesitation on the market this offseason for a guy like Nicks.

Part of me is hung up on him because I think he could be an under the radar signing because of what I mentioned above and also I would love to peel away one of Eli's weapons from Mara. Oh well, let's see what happens. 

Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks, Anquan Boldin are all available. Don't expect to get any of them but no harm in trying to make a run at one.

Decker isn't dynamic enough imo for us to target him. We need playmakers on offense. Honestly, I think Decker is solid but not spectacular but he benefits greatly from playing opposite Thomas and now Welker and J Thomas too. Somebody is going to overpay him big time this year I just hope it isn't us. 

I'd rather have Michael Floyd, anyways.  It'd cost us a pick, though.

I know you are high on him but I haven't seen much. Is there something there I have missed?

I'm thinking we can move Polumbus to rg. Get a RT. That takes care of 2 positions. Then go after Alex Mack. Get a LG with with the 2nd or 3rd pick. I believe we should think about drafting tackles and plug them into guards. Like Hurst from UNC. That takes care of the oline. Now on defense. If we stick to the 3-4 get a NT. Move Cofield to DE. Hopefully Hageman from Minnesota drops to 2nd round and pick him up. 4th round get Telvin Smith FSU. 5th round get another Dlineman. Our problem as a team is not the skill players but trenches. We never give our skill players a chance to make plays. I also want to see Goodley from Baylor on this team.

I'm thinking we can move Polumbus to rg. Get a RT. That takes care of 2 positions. Then go after Alex Mack. Get a LG with with the 2nd or 3rd pick. I believe we should think about drafting tackles and plug them into guards. Like Hurst from UNC. That takes care of the oline. Now on defense. If we stick to the 3-4 get a NT. Move Cofield to DE. Hopefully Hageman from Minnesota drops to 2nd round and pick him up. 4th round get Telvin Smith FSU. 5th round get another Dlineman. Our problem as a team is not the skill players but trenches. We never give our skill players a chance to make plays. I also want to see Goodley from Baylor on this team.

I am not sure if the turnstile moving from RT to G helps much. I do like the idea of moving on from Bowen, moving Cofield to DE and looking for a NT. I also like Telvin Smith a lot but he seems too undersized. 

The ONLY reason we should look @ Talib (or any other top tier CB) is if we can not agree to a deal with D-Hall. CB is fine, we need help at the FS position (and SS IMO). Im not comfortable going into next season with Rambo & Thomas penciled in as the starters.

Get RT taken care of (along with Gs & C). Preferably via FA (not trying to experiment via draft this year, get some vets in there and get it out of the way. We have to protect our QB). If there's a chance in hell Mack can get got, take the shot...

As far as WR, we need someone who can really stretch the field. And no thanks to Fitz (doesnt even feel right typing that, but dam his age and that crazy contract). And from what I remember about Nicks, he's similar to Garcon sort of. When I originally looked at the WR FA list, I wanted Nicks (and I'd still be happy with getting him), but I think I like James Jones and Anquan Boldin (not sure who else is available) better. We need someone who can REALLY stretch the field and consistently get separation. I THINK Jones does that well. 

Of our own - Gone -

Fred Davis - Just something about this guy i never liked - couldn't make an impact with Cooley on the team and no one looked at him while he was a FA ... it might be an issue with coming back from injury but work ethic just seems to be well missing ... couple that with the sleeping through meetings (in all regimes) and the dope suspension and legal issues - doesnt strike me as a high character guy ... people talk about coaching staff being stuborn to change things - but going with Reed over Davis was a bold move - and the right one ... plus he would be 28 ....

Josh Morgan - i think he is going to get a second look with Hankerson down but what he did earlier in the season was negligible at best ...

Santana Moss - love him but i think this is his last season here

London Fletcher - see Moss .

I think the rest is just churn but some might be back but replaceable; 

• josh wilson
  • e.j. biggers
  • Jose Gumbs
  • Josh Hull
  • Bryan Kehl
  • Darryl Tapp
  • Rex Grossman

Of our own - the bit players I would like to retain

Reed doughty - reliable special teams player and okay starter - better (much better at ss than free) and getting long in the tooth - 31

Chris Baker - Has had some impact when given reps not consistant enough but I would like to see him back

Doug Worthington - showed some promise and then disappeared ...

Jerome Murphy - again some promise and cheap option in depth ...

Others to keep 

Orakpo - this guy has become the focus point for fan hate this season but is playing well within the system - i love him and Kerrigan and I really think we need new ideas a the the DC position - I would bring him back at the 7-9 million a year range deal with some kind of injury protection/void

Robert Griffin III - Sorry I just think this needs to be said given what I have read over the last couple of days ....

Deangelo Hall - He is balling this season - I would love to see him back again - I don't see him coming back cheap but I think he is going to be cheeper than someone like Talib ..

Perry Riley - Under rated most of his time here but this year exposed by the lack of a rangy counter (like Fletcher or Robinson) and I believe not helped by the scheme/personell  ...

Aldrick Robinson - to be honest I would like to see Robinson opposite Garcon more than Morgan with Hankerson being out - I think this is a no brainer at this point ... On a side note I would like to see Nick Williams get some more time in the slot over Moss ...

Rob Jackson - I just have the feeling he is going to ask for more money than he is worth, kind of an antonio peirce (As he should) but he is going to be in the $5 million a year deal range and that is too much  - He is kind of that super sub who makes plays - but as a starter is below average - in the last couple of games we have seen Kerrigan and Orakpo sat down and we have Jackson and Tapp in and the results are fairly universally bad - I can only guess this is an evaluation exercise/rotation to keep the starters fresh . I think it is unfortunate that we dont see Jackson + Orakpo or Jackson + Kerrigan but it is going to be interesting to see how this pans out ...

Guys to cut

It is really hard to justify Chester/Montgomery/Lich after this season - Monty especially was a beast last season and has fallen off a cliff but I am wondering how much that is to do with the guys around him than Monty himself ... We have been grooming our own and it is time to throw some out the nest - I think Gettis and LeRib need to be rotated into the starters this year ... Both had new deals recently but Lich would save $1 million (approx) might be worth being kept as a backup/starter - Chester is a $2.7 million saving and that money could easily be moved to get a replacement level player or elsewhere ..

Polumbus - Again gets more hate than his play deserves I dont think he should be cut but needs some quality competition - I dont think Winston or Harris would have been an upgrade and the fact Winston is likley to be a FA for the third consecutive season says something about him ...

Target Positions

Wide receivers - We must feed Griffin - I have gone from feeling okay about this WR corp to really concerned - Hankerson was developing well and I think would have taken a next step but the latest injury is disappointing ... Robinson has not progressed and Morgan and Moss have disappeared - Nicks, Sanders and possibly Maclin (hell Ted Ginn Jr, Manningham, Caldwell, Heywood-Bay) hell go get a bus bring them all in ... 

ILB - Need something here - might be in the draft though ... Patrick Angerer would be a great pick up put a pipe dream

FS - Stevie Brown ? Major Wright - Brandon Merriwether ?

Folks, CB isn't a pressing enough position for us at the moment to sign a big name FA. Josh Wilson will be a reasonable contract, and DeAngelo Hall will cost more than he did this offseason, but he wants to be here and I'll guess he'll take a hometown discount.

Our CB depth, then, looks like this:

Hall

Amerson

Wilson

After that, we have some questions. I would guess Crawford will get another look and a chance to stick. But we can find guys on the cheap who can play within the system and be solid for us.

Safety is a position we'll want to address.

Still, I can't say what we need defensively, as I'm not sure what direction we're going to go with our defense. IF you go under the assumption we stick with the current style of defense, it's IMPERATIVE we get a nose. And an ILB.

Defense. 

RDE.                           Baker. 26+.               Worthington. 27.

NT.                              Nield. 26.

LDE.                            Jenkins, J. 26.

JACK...                        Jenkins, B. 24.

ILB.    Riley Jr. 26.       Robinson, K. 25.       Kehl. 30.

MIKE.

SAM.  Kerrigan. 26.     Jackson. 28+.

CB.     Hall. 30+.                                           Crawford. 24.

SS.     Thomas. 25.                                      Gumbs. 26.

FS.                               Rambo. 24.

CB.     Amerson. 22+.   Minnifield. 25. 

I would add Will Compton to Mike back up.  I would be surprised if Kehl comes back after an ACL and being north of 30.  As much as I like him that's asking a lot.

I like Gumbs a lot but I don't see us keeping six safieties next season.  He may be one of the four or five though.

I'd also move Jackson to ROLB, even though Grant Paulsen seemed almost positive that 98 is coming back during his show last night.  He seems to be the only one, though.

Folks, CB isn't a pressing enough position for us at the moment to sign a big name FA. Josh Wilson will be a reasonable contract, and DeAngelo Hall will cost more than he did this offseason, but he wants to be here and I'll guess he'll take a hometown discount.

Our CB depth, then, looks like this:

Hall

Amerson

Wilson

After that, we have some questions. I would guess Crawford will get another look and a chance to stick. But we can find guys on the cheap who can play within the system and be solid for us.

Safety is a position we'll want to address.

Still, I can't say what we need defensively, as I'm not sure what direction we're going to go with our defense. IF you go under the assumption we stick with the current style of defense, it's IMPERATIVE we get a nose. And an ILB.

I agree. By addressing the front 7 you make the back end better. 

Daniel McCullers should be a priority. He's projected to go in between rounds 2-3, but based on his size, and how well he does at the combine, he's looking more like a high 2nd rounder, which we will have by the end of the season.

After drafting McCullers, we need to find a stud ILB.

Secondary has been addressed, and not really a concern anymore. If we have a loaded front 7, it helps out the secondary tremendously.

Time and time again this year i've seen opposing QB's have all day, step into the pocket, find a rushing lane to get an easy 5-7 yards.

No corner or safety is gonna look good when the QB has all day to throw.

Archived