Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

Oh, and don't think I didn't see your devil dog comments a few pages back there, DC9... Sleep with one eye open my friend! hahaha

Nah, I'm good.  All of that hot air you're blowing will give me plenty of time to wake and assume a defensive position, brother.  :P

JMS -

I'm thinking more along the lines of

4 year, 25 mil contract for TJ Ward

2 year, 4 mil contract for Danario (DX) Alexander

5 year, 40 mil for Asamoah (younger and better than Carl Nicks, IMO)

4 year, 25 mil for Mack

5 year, 25 mil for Angerer

But don't add it all in at once. Remember in professional sports you are playing with incentives, bonuses, and guaranteed money. Not all of it is costing us on the top 51 or on the books.

We were hot on Danario last season, too.  If we are looking at stealing someone off of the injury heap, I'd be more willing to look at a Maclin or someone a little more established as a competant #2 before we look his way. 

I like what he does, but we can't miss on another WR and waste Griffin's development and years with another Joshua Morgan.

If we land Angerer and Lou Spanos is the DC... sweet sassy.

ROLB - Jackson/Jenkins

ILB - Riley/Compton

ILB - Angerer/Robinson

LOLB - Kerrigan/Tapp, So'oto, or Draft Pick

I do think the middle of the field needs to be the focus on the defensive side of the ball though.  NT, ILB, FS.

I'd be open to taking a look at Maclin, but why would Philly not want to resign him? He's a playmaker, so I don't see him walking out of Philly.

A huge reason for us to sign the guy is that he can also return kicks, and we have been the worst return team I have ever seen this season.

I agree DC9, we need to pick up a proven WR in FA this year to give us another threat opposite Garcon. It'll be interesting to see which way we go.

One thing is for sure, the FA thread this year will blow away the suckage/boredom of last year's thread. :)

DC, your boy So'oto is on the Cardinals IR

Yeah, hopefully they turn him loose.  We'll see if he's in camp with them next year or they let him go for a futures contract for someone else.

It's not like Kerrigan ever comes off the field anyways (knocks on wood).

I'd be open to taking a look at Maclin, but why would Philly not want to resign him? He's a playmaker, so I don't see him walking out of Philly.

Depending on their cap space and how they feel about him coming off of the injury.  I'm sure they have a ton of money because they always seem to somehow.  So franchising him shouldn't be an issue.

But I remember reading some stuff last offseason about how he'd be a target for us this year.  Obviously he'd need to be healthy, but his ability to run routes and get open is fantastic.  He'd be the perfect compliment to PG.

We'll see, though.  I just don't want Alexander to be the guy, and if he is I hope I'm dead wrong.  I think he can play, don't get me wrong... but I KNOW Maclin can play.

Chris Clemons, S - Just watch him play, he's an anchor on that defense in Miami and will be a big loss for them when he's gone. Top 5 Safety in the league

TJ Ward, S - Top 5 Safety in the league, IMO. He's always been on losing teams and still managed to be the leader of that defense. He plays with fire. Cleveland will have to find a way to resign him  and Alex Mack and still have some money left over, but if they don't, I think Ward rejuvenates our defense alone.

I think Clemons is too good for Miami to let him hit the market. I think they try to hammer out a contract before FA starts.

TJ Ward is intriguing though. I always thought he was decent. Did not know he was becoming a free agent.

I think Clemons is too good for Miami to let him hit the market. I think they try to hammer out a contract before FA starts.

TJ Ward is intriguing though. I always thought he was decent. Did not know he was becoming a free agent.

If that's the case, they should have locked him (Clemons) up last year when they decided for the one year contract... I am not so sure they keep him with Starks and Soliai hitting the market, and they spent a ton last offseason.

So far fellas, I've had my eye on quite a few players. I really wanted Louis Delmas or Chris Clemons at Safety last year and it turns out Chris Clemons is on the FA list again...

Jon Asamoah, G - IMO, best interior lineman out there, severely underrated.

Vontae Davis, CB - He's got the skills to be a top CB in the league and at times he shown it. He got lazy against Andre Johnson, but who wouldn't get tired of that...

Brandon Browner, CB - 6'4, underrated when playing next to Sherman who IMO is overrated... Seahawks are stacked to the brim. With Browner out with a groin injury and no real loss of production, I could see him elsewhere in 2014.

Chris Clemons, S - Just watch him play, he's an anchor on that defense in Miami and will be a big loss for them when he's gone. Top 5 Safety in the league

TJ Ward, S - Top 5 Safety in the league, IMO. He's always been on losing teams and still managed to be the leader of that defense. He plays with fire. Cleveland will have to find a way to resign him and Alex Mack and still have some money left over, but if they don't, I think Ward rejuvenates our defense alone.

Would Davis be instead of Hall, or in addition to?

I wonder if we'd be best served picking up a safety that can fit in both roles (FS and SS) so we have more flexibility to start Rambo or Thomas (or whomever) opposite. Do these guys fit that?

On the flip side, FS has been a glaring need for a while and it would be nice to fill it with a top tier guy.

Yeah Chester makes sense for a couple of reasons. His money and his performance being two... but three, we have 3 guards (Hurt, Gettis, Ribs) that had better be ready to step up next year. I mean, we're talking two years of seasoning for these guys at least. Also Compton could probably play guard if need be, as well. Bottom line, we should have better and cheaper options.

Carriker is another one. He carries a huge contract that had me scratching my head when he signed it, and then he also hasn't played in two years. I love his work ethic, but those kind of injuries linger on big men at his age. It's been real, AC.

I could see us cutting Carriker and then bringing him back on the cheap (heck, we'll probably still be paying him his bonus money).

If that's the case, they should have locked him (Clemons) up last year when they decided for the one year contract... I am not so sure they keep him with Starks and Soliai hitting the market, and they spent a ton last offseason.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking as far as them spending money last year. I kind of guessed they don't have the money, but I don't know anything about their cap.

And personally I wish we'd aim more for the wade phillips 1 gapping 34 rather than the steelers philosophy. I think it better suits cofield at nt (who I also believe gets an inordinate amount of hate when it's our de's who suck). The de's shouldn't post too many stats, but they need to at least be collapsing the pocket or holding their own in the run.

Gotta be honest, I haven't seen a single person "hate" on Cofield. He's one of the few I've seen overwhelming positive things about.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking as far as them spending money last year. I kind of guessed they don't have the money, but I don't know anything about their cap.

I'm assuming people were leery of signing long term deals given the odd DB market last year, but who knows.

I could see us cutting Carriker and then bringing him back on the cheap (heck, we'll probably still be paying him his bonus money).

Why?

He hasn't played for almost two full seasons and he'll be on the wrong side of 30 next season.

When he's played he's been one of the better players on that line, and his work ethic is fantastic, but that's a roster spot that has not been worth it.

Would Davis be instead of Hall, or in addition to?

In addition to... I see Hall as a Redskins lifer from here on out unless he does something really stupid to cut himself off.

Hall/Davis, or Hall/Browner is pretty nasty but our CB's are only as good as the Safety behind them... I trust Amerson will put it all together but damn was he targeted like crazy against the Eagles and lost about 95% of the time...

Same thing happened with OTs.

In addition to... I see Hall as a Redskins lifer from here on out unless he does something really stupid to cut himself off.

Hall/Davis, or Hall/Browner is pretty nasty but our CB's are only as good as the Safety behind them... I trust Amerson will put it all together but damn was he targeted like crazy against the Eagles and lost about 95% of the time...

Yeah I think we're fine at CB if we can get Hall re-upped.  I don't see Talib leaving NE and even if he did who knows what our coaching staff will look like next season (being that he's a Raheem guy).

Between Hall, Amerson, Crawford, Biggers or Wilson, and maybe Minniefield or a draft pick I think we are fine.

Safety needs some major league addressing, though.

we also could see if players will take a paycut, I think Wilson and Merriweather did that last off-season. Cofield, Carriker to name 2 I would be asking to take a cut, plus we really need to know what the backup OL can do, if they can play we can get better players in other positions.

Why?

He hasn't played for almost two full seasons and he'll be on the wrong side of 30 next season.

When he's played he's been one of the better players on that line, and his work ethic is fantastic, but that's a roster spot that has not been worth it.

Assuming he gets fully healthy, why not? As you said - solid player and great work ethic. Fits the system and I don't see many other teams being interested, hence a cheap deal. In an ideal world we draft or sign a good, young guy, but with issues elsewhere I don't know if we have the resources to replace him and Bowen and Golston (adequately). Sign him to a short term deal and if we don't need him, cut him. Otherwise it seems like a tall order to shore up the line all at once I see him as a taking Golston's role. There's the idea that Cofield can move over, but we need a NT first. If Jenkins and/or Baker move inside that still leaves a hole or two.

Basically, you'd have:

Cofield - DE/NT

Jenkins - DE/NT

Worthington - DE

Baker - DE/NT

Nield - NT

Carriker - DE

Bring them into camp (hopefully with a starting quality NT) and then keep whoever makes the most sense. If both are healthy, I'd take Carriker as a reserve lineman over Golston any day.

Same thing happened with OTs.

Yeah I think we're fine at CB if we can get Hall re-upped. I don't see Talib leaving NE and even if he did who knows what our coaching staff will look like next season (being that he's a Raheem guy).

Between Hall, Amerson, Crawford, Biggers or Wilson, and maybe Minniefield or a draft pick I think we are fine.

Safety needs some major league addressing, though.

Yeah, it would be nice to get an upgrade to Wilson/Biggers, but there are bigger fish to fry.

we also could see if players will take a paycut, I think Wilson and Merriweather did that last off-season. Cofield, Carriker to name 2 I would be asking to take a cut, plus we really need to know what the backup OL can do, if they can play we can get better players in other positions.

I hope they bench Chester to try out one of the young guys because you're right, we need to see what we have there.

Do we have any dead cap hit on the voided contacts of Fletcher, meriweather and Morgan for the 2014 season? And if carriker doesn't play at all this season and we release him do we still have to pay him all his cap for this year and will we get a cap credit towards next year.

Yeah, those 3 will cost a tad over 7 mil next year after their contracts void.

No, we don't get anything back for Carriker not playing.

Archived