Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

Assuming he gets fully healthy, why not? As you said - solid player and great work ethic. Fits the system and I don't see many other teams being interested, hence a cheap deal. In an ideal world we draft or sign a good, young guy, but with issues elsewhere I don't know if we have the resources to replace him and Bowen and Golston (adequately). Sign him to a short term deal and if we don't need him, cut him. Otherwise it seems like a tall order to shore up the line all at once I see him as a taking Golston's role. There's the idea that Cofield can move over, but we need a NT first. If Jenkins and/or Baker move inside that still leaves a hole or two.

Basically, you'd have:

Cofield - DE/NT

Jenkins - DE/NT

Worthington - DE

Baker - DE/NT

Nield - NT

Carriker - DE

Bring them into camp (hopefully with a starting quality NT) and then keep whoever makes the most sense. If both are healthy, I'd take Carriker as a reserve lineman over Golston any day.

I think we need to be grooming a linemen in that reserve role.  I think Carriker would be a waste of a roster spot and in my opinion the milk has gone bad.

To each his own though. :)

There needs to be major changes in the defensive line next season. Haslett and Shanahan are the only two people on the planet that think Cofield is the right NT for this defense. Of the names listed above I would only want Cofield (at DE), Baker & maybe Jenkins back. Bowen needs to be cut and all the other guys are bad. I watch the games and I am actually more impressed with Goldston than I am with Bowen. If there is a coaching change for 2014 I hope whoever they bring in is one of those coaches that thinks you start with building the DL and OL first. I also hope they bring in a coach to just teach pass rushing to teach Kerrigan, Jenkins, Jackson & Orakpo, if they are all back, some better moves to get to the QB. Ken Harvey was awesome when he played here and I would love to see one of the four I mentioned play up to his level.   

I think we need to be grooming a linemen in that reserve role. I think Carriker would be a waste of a roster spot and in my opinion the milk has gone bad.

To each his own though. :)

Fair enough. I guess I'm envisioning picking up a NT to start and kicking Cofield to end with Jenkins and Baker. Perhaps one of those three also take some of the NT reps. The 4th DE spot would ideally be a young guy like you said. However, I have to wonder where that young guy comes from. If its a late round pick or UDFA, they could compete with Carriker and be stashed on the PS if they're obviously not ready. Or we cut Carriker if they are ready. He'd be a stopgap similar to Barnett, Tapp or Golston. This is all assuming he would come back on the cheap and is healthy.

Essentially, (I know I said it before) I see Carriker as an option to fill Golston's role. I know it's not ideal (just as playing Golston is/was probably not ideal), but I'll take a (healthy) Carriker over Golston any day... assuming similar salaries. Of course Worthington is a wildcard as well.

With all that said, hopefully we draft a highly rated DE to groom like you said. Just not sure we will be able to go that route and still adequately address safety (or 2), ILB (or 2?), NT, G, T, C, and WR, especially given Shanahan's proclivity to address a weakness with more than one player.

But maybe, just maybe, some of those solutions are already on the roster, thereby freeing up our draft board and FA money a bit. My fingers will be crossed. :)

Blah... I'm babbling. Basically, I like Carriker a lot. If we can have him cheap and healthy I think he can help the team.

Same thing happened with OTs.

Yeah I think we're fine at CB if we can get Hall re-upped. I don't see Talib leaving NE and even if he did who knows what our coaching staff will look like next season (being that he's a Raheem guy).

Between Hall, Amerson, Crawford, Biggers or Wilson, and maybe Minniefield or a draft pick I think we are fine.

Safety needs some major league addressing, though.

Just FS. Merriweather is a very good SS if we re-sign him. That's predicated on him actually being able to play his position. We're actually not far off from having a very good defense. A solid ILB to replace London, a FS, and some DL help would do wonders.

Just FS. Merriweather is a very good SS if we re-sign him. That's predicated on him actually being able to play his position. We're actually not far off from having a very good defense. A solid ILB to replace London, a FS, and some DL help would do wonders.

I actually like Meriweather as well. We just need a serious backup plan because of his issues - which I think Thomas and Doughty (maybe even Gumbs?) can probably provide.

Signing a stud FS (so Meriweather can stick to SS) and ILB would go a long way to curing out pass coverage woes against TEs and backs. A NT (or maybe switching Jenkins and Cofield?) would help our pass rush.

Fix those two (major) problems and I think you're right - our D would be much improved.

Agreed.  Though I'm not really for keeping Meriweather unless we think Phillip Thomas is going to be at about 80% next year coming off the lisfranc.

Agreed. Though I'm not really for keeping Meriweather unless we think Phillip Thomas is going to be at about 80% next year coming off the lisfranc.

Problem with Thomas is he's a complete unknown. Reports from training camp seemed to indicate he was coming along slower than Rambo, and wasn't expected to challenge for a starting spot. So it seemed like he was more of a "learn for a few years then start" kind of guy anyway. Meriweather would depend on the years more than the money I think... Don't think he finds a large contract anywhere. If we could get him back on a 3 year deal that would be ideal.

Priority Re-Signs:

1. DeAngelo Hall, CB

2. Perry Riley, ILB

3. Brian Orakpo, OLB/Rob Jackson, OLB/Playmaker

4. Chris Baker, NT/DE

5. Josh Wilson, CB/EJ Biggers, CB/S

Priority Signings:

-Defense-

1. TJ Ward, FS, Browns/Malcom Jenkins, S, Saints

2. Pat Angerer, ILB, Colts

3. Linval Joseph, DT, Giants/Paul Soliai, NT, Dolphins

4. Aqib Talib, CB, Patriots

-Offense-

1. Larry Fitzgeral, WR, Cardinals/Eric Decker WR, Broncos

2. Alex Mack, C, Browns

3. Jared Veldheer, T, Raiders

I wanted the Redskins to draft Alex Mack when they had the chance. If you want to build a strong OL you need a great center and Mack is top shelf.

I agree with most of your priority signings through FA but don't think we will have enough money to sign them all.

We should concentrate on OL, DL and FS cause I think we have some great talent on practice squad on IR in Chase Minnifield, Richard Crawford and Phillip Thomas. Keenan Robinson if he can stay healthy will team up well with Perry Riley. Orakpo needs to stop being so stubborn and learn some new moves, if he did he could surprise opposing DC next year because he is so predictable now and easy to prepare for. Plus he isn't that good in coverage, in my opinion he should have his hand in the dirt on the line.

A solid NT would do wonders cause it would free up Cofield to play DE, plus if Adam Carriker can come back healthy that would be an awesome addition to a productive DL. I think he can, certainly he has the will to come back and by all accounts is working very hard to come back too.

Problem with Thomas is he's a complete unknown. Reports from training camp seemed to indicate he was coming along slower than Rambo, and wasn't expected to challenge for a starting spot. So it seemed like he was more of a "learn for a few years then start" kind of guy anyway. Meriweather would depend on the years more than the money I think... Don't think he finds a large contract anywhere. If we could get him back on a 3 year deal that would be ideal.

Rambo can also play strong and Rambo's job was "to not get beat deep"... which he didn't and still hasn't.  I suspect the intricacies of Thomas' job were a bit more than Rambo's.  But all in all, I don't want Meriweather on the team and I'm not sure a lot of people do.

Rambo can also play strong and Rambo's job was "to not get beat deep"... which he didn't and still hasn't. I suspect the intricacies of Thomas' job were a bit more than Rambo's. But all in all, I don't want Meriweather on the team and I'm not sure a lot of people do.

I don't get that though. He's an impact player when playing his position. He's big and fast enough to cover TEs out of the SS position. We just need to be able to play him there.

I don't get that though. He's an impact player when playing his position. He's big and fast enough to cover TEs out of the SS position. We just need to be able to play him there.

He's a liability and he's not been that much of an impact this year.  He isn't great in coverage and he loves getting penalties.  This is the type of player we need to get out of the business of signing.

He's a liability and he's not been that much of an impact this year. He isn't great in coverage and he loves getting penalties. This is the type of player we need to get out of the business of signing.

Putting aside the penalties, he's been playing FS all year. He's made the pro bowl at SS and has been cut loose from teams that tried him at FS his entire career.

Did any DB get more than one year last year besides Goldson and Revis?

Laron Landry 4 years

Sean Smith 3 years

Derek Cox 4 years

William Moore 5 years

Chris Houston 5 years

Darius Butler 2 years

Cary Williams 3 years

George Wilson 2 years

PacMan Jones 3 years

Keenan Lewis 5 years

Dunta Robinson 3 years

Kyle Arrington 4 years

Adrian Wilson 3 years

Leodis McKelvin 4 years

Ed Reed 3 years

Bradley Fletcher 2 years

So yeah, a few guys got more than 1 year.

Putting aside the penalties, he's been playing FS all year. He's made the pro bowl at SS and has been cut loose from teams that tried him at FS his entire career.

It's hard to put aside the penalties and the way those penalties change the game.

He's the kind of player who isn't going to get the benefit from the refs for the rest of his career.  And what he brings at either safety position isn't worth those penalties.

I'd be open to taking a look at Maclin, but why would Philly not want to resign him? 

Iono, maybe because hes ALWAYS injured. He dropped in the draft because of injuries, and he's had multiple seasons where an injury ended his season. I'd be PISSED if Maclin was our top WR pick up. If we pick him up, it would have to be after our top FA WR was picked. 

It's hard to put aside the penalties and the way those penalties change the game.

He's the kind of player who isn't going to get the benefit from the refs for the rest of his career.  And what he brings at either safety position isn't worth those penalties.

Yeah, anyone who argues for re-signing Meriweather is basically dead to me.

Iono, maybe because hes ALWAYS injured. He dropped in the draft because of injuries, and he's had multiple seasons where an injury ended his season. I'd be PISSED if Maclin was our top WR pick up. If we pick him up, it would have to be after our top FA WR was picked. 

Unfortunately in a lot of cases free agent pick ups carry some risk. Teams often times don't allow talented young players go unless they have a "risk" tag on them for some reason. 

I like the idea of Maclin or Nicks and believe they both will come at a discounted rate due to their injuries. They both are young enough to overcome those injuries though. 

Will offense or defense have more money allocated to them??

I feel the offense will have the most dollars spent (Wr and OL). Defense will have more turnover though. 

If we get rid of Haslett, would we need as many new Free Agent signings if we revert back to a 4-3 defence, than we would if we stay as a 3-4?

well that all depends.  All of our current DL could play DT and maybe DE.  The number of our OLBs who could play DE is up for debate.  Some say we need a big guy on the left end of the line.  I'm not sure that's automatic.  So we could need a couple DE's and some OLB or we could just need and OLB

of course tossing Haslett doesn't mean scrapping the 3-4 since it was Shanny's idea

Archived