Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA: *TJAX*Davis, Clingan, RJ, McCoy, DJ, RC, McGlynn, EJ, Moore, Jordan, BMeri, Rogers, Hatcher, Geathers, Sharpton, Porter, Hayward, Lauvao, Roberts

DC9

The only way we get Fitz is if he is done being the highest paid player on his team.  He has to instruct his agent to take a middle deal to go to a contender with a good QB.  (I think the skins don't really qualify on either account, but that's another discussion)

No way we pay him a max contract because this team has other needs.

That said, I think he makes the Skins better, and he makes RG3 better.  Garçon + Fitz + Reed = DOMINATION.  id love to see it happen, but for the reasons I stated above I think Fitz will probably go to the highest bidder.

INTRO:  There are things we know about the 2014 season.  Who will be the coach?  Is a new staff on the horizon or just a new defensive coordinator and maybe a teams coach?  What kind of offense will we be running?  Will Tanard Jackson be re-instated?  These are all questions that’ll be answered with time.

One thing we do know - we are about to get PAID!  For the first time in a couple of years, the Redskins will be climbing out from behind the $36 million salary cap penalty that was imposed on the eve of free agency in 2012.  So at a minimum, this should be a fun ride.

Since 2012, the Redskins have been frugal and it’s paid dividens in some areas and left glaring holes in other areas.  We can discuss the keys to what smart strategies are in obtaining players drafted by other teams OR just spending your money in general.  But the bottom line here, is the Redskins need to be smart.

We’ve all seen the show “Turning Point”, where the key points of each game are shown and the team that seizes that moment wins the day.  Well, that’s where this franchise is.  We are at the turning point.  This FA class and it’s success will define the next 3 to 5 years of the Washington Redskins.  With a talented YOUNG nucleus, and aging leadership in areas that aren’t likely to return, the right decisions have to be made to define the Robert Griffin, III era in Washington.

I think the top story lines/key points of discussion should be -

1) The Brian Orakpo saga - should we let him go or re-up?  Rob Jackson?  Both?

2) The secondary.  We need a baller back there.  Just a FS or should we add a CB, too?  Who?

3) #2 WR.  If we get a #2, this offense will be outstanding next year.  Who should it be?

4) 4 out of 5 offensive linemen are on the proverbial hot seat.  Can we upgrade and where should it be?

This should be a fun ride!

RULES:  As always, this thread is only as successful as you guys make it.  Participation is always deeply appreciated and makes this much more fun.  When you see a tweet or a story in reference to signings or rumors, please post the source and I’ll update it here in the OP.  If you just post “We traded for Larry Fitzgerald,“ that’s just going to tick a bunch of people off.  So please post a tweet or at least post where you heard it so myself or another member can go look for it.  And “No Stairway to Heaven”.

TARGETS:  We can do a list of targets again like we did last year.  I know a lot of you guys had a ton of fun with that and we at least nailed one of the guys that we had in our top 5 (EJ Biggers).  With more room under the cap this year, I’m sure we will be able to increase that percentage.

WHEN FA STARTS:  When FA starts, I will  copy and paste the OP and change it to the screen which annotates who we’ve signed and I’ll do my best to keep track of the salary cap, too.  Snagletooth posted this website, we've all got time to get fresh on it, but I'm hoping it'll help: http://overthecap.com/

2014 Free Agents (21 total FAs - Starters are in red):

Defense (15 FA/5 starters):

London Fletcher, ILB - 38 years old

Brian Orakpo, OLB - 27 years old

Chris Baker, NT/DE - 26 years old

Nick Barnett, ILB - 32 years old

EJ Biggers, CB/S - 26 years old

Reed Doughty, S - 31 years old

Jose Gumbs, S - 25 years old

DeAngelo Hall, CB - 29 years old

Rob Jackson, OLB/Playmaker - 28 years old

Bryan Kehl, ILB - 29 years old

Jerome Murphy, CB - 26 years old

Perry Riley, ILB - 25 years old

Darryl Tapp, OLB - 29 years old

Josh Wilson, CB - 28 years old

Doug Worthington, DE - 26 years old

Offense (6 FA):

Dezmon Briscoe, WR - 24 years old

Fred Davis, TE - 27 years old

Rex Grossman, QB - 33 years old

Josh Morgan, WR - 28 years old

Santana Moss, WR - 34 years old

Aldrick Robinson, WR - 25 years old

Rich Tandler’s piece that estimates the Redskins will have about $36 million to spend next season:

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/redskins-2014-money-spend-needs-fill

Key Dates:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8795630/2013-14-nfl-key-dates

18-25 February 2014 - NFL Scouting Combine

11 March 2014 - New league year starts, free agency begins

23-26 March 2014 - Owners meeting (Orlando, FL)

8-10 May 2014 - NFL draft, Radio City Music Hall, NYC

TARGETS:

Cyclops posted this link of top free agents (kffl): http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=QB&y=2014

Priority Re-Signs:

1. DeAngelo Hall, CB

2. Perry Riley, ILB

3. Brian Orakpo, OLB/Rob Jackson, OLB/Playmaker

4. Chris Baker, NT/DE

5. Josh Wilson, CB/EJ Biggers, CB/S

Priority Signings:

-Defense-

1. TJ Ward, FS, Browns/Malcom Jenkins, S, Saints

2. Pat Angerer, ILB, Colts

3. Linval Joseph, DT, Giants/Paul Soliai, NT, Dolphins

4. Aqib Talib, CB, Patriots

-Offense-

1. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals/Eric Decker WR, Broncos

2. Alex Mack, C, Browns

3. Jared Veldheer, T, Raiders

Yeah, this should be....... fun? The idea should send shivers down the spine of every Redskins fan! Everyone knows the skins history with spending money on free agents. They are all going to be Albert to one degree or another, they are gonna cash a huge check and do nothing at all. Par for the course. We were bamboozled last year and given a ray of hope, it is painfully obvious we are still the laughing stock of the division. It is old and I am tired of it, tired of trying to defend this team. We are irrelevant once again and it is not getting any better anytime soon. The huge cap space spells nothing but more doom if you ask me!   

A couple legit #2's out there for next year:

Anquan Boldin 49ers $8,333,333

Devin Hester Bears $5,489,006

Santana Moss Redskins $5,000,000

Jacoby Jones Ravens $3,250,000

James Jones Packers $3,233,333

Jeremy Maclin Eagles $2,875,000

Emmanuel Sanders Steelers $2,500,000

Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts $2,500,000

Hakeem Nicks Giants $2,215,000

Jerome Simpson Vikings $2,100,000

Kenny Britt Titans $1,830,002

Mario Manningham 49ers $1,800,000

Jerricho Cotchery Steelers $1,500,000

Dexter McCluster Chiefs $1,325,000

Domenik Hixon Panthers $1,200,000

Ted Ginn Panthers $1,100,000

Plaxico Burress Steelers $1,005,000

Kevin Walter Titans $1,005,000

Ben Tate Bengals $966,000

Brandon Stokley Ravens $940,000

Kassim Osgood 49ers $940,000

Andre Caldwell Broncos $900,000

Brandon LaFell Panthers $869,600

Damian Williams Titans $864,063

Golden Tate Seahawks $852,875

Josh Cribbs Jets $840,000

Eric Decker Broncos $828,788

Jacoby Ford Raiders $787,211

Louis Murphy Giants $780,000

Michael Spurlock Lions $780,000

Julian Edelman Patriots $765,000

Robert Meachem Saints $715,000

Kevin Ogletree Lions $715,000

Brian Robiskie Falcons $715,000

Lavelle Hawkins Chargers $715,000

Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers $715,000

Taylor Price Jaguars $661,145

Marlon Moore Dolphins $630,000

Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers $630,000

Tandon Doss Ravens $555,000

Riley Cooper Eagles $527,870

Kyle Williams Chiefs $504,838

Dezmon Briscoe

Yeah, this should be....... fun? The idea should send shivers down the spine of every Redskins fan! Everyone knows the skins history with spending money on free agents. They are all going to be Albert to one degree or another, they are gonna cash a huge check and do nothing at all. Par for the course. We were bamboozled last year and given a ray of hope, it is painfully obvious we are still the laughing stock of the division. It is old and I am tired of it, tired of trying to defend this team. We are irrelevant once again and it is not getting any better anytime soon. The huge cap space spells nothing but more doom if you ask me!   

Dry up and get back out there SoCal.

You should be bullet proof by now ;)

Dear god no. Josh Wilson is atrocious. When was the last time this guy mad a play? 

He got used last night for sure.  He is not a bad football player, though.

I think we need to re-sign either Wilson or Biggers.  That's what the slash is for, though.

We're not bad off at corner back.

A couple legit #2's out there for next year:

Anquan Boldin 49ers $8,333,333

Devin Hester Bears $5,489,006

Santana Moss Redskins $5,000,000

Jacoby Jones Ravens $3,250,000

James Jones Packers $3,233,333

Jeremy Maclin Eagles $2,875,000

Emmanuel Sanders Steelers $2,500,000

Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts $2,500,000

Hakeem Nicks Giants $2,215,000

Jerome Simpson Vikings $2,100,000

Kenny Britt Titans $1,830,002

Mario Manningham 49ers $1,800,000

Jerricho Cotchery Steelers $1,500,000

Dexter McCluster Chiefs $1,325,000

Domenik Hixon Panthers $1,200,000

Ted Ginn Panthers $1,100,000

Plaxico Burress Steelers $1,005,000

Kevin Walter Titans $1,005,000

Ben Tate Bengals $966,000

Brandon Stokley Ravens $940,000

Kassim Osgood 49ers $940,000

Andre Caldwell Broncos $900,000

Brandon LaFell Panthers $869,600

Damian Williams Titans $864,063

Golden Tate Seahawks $852,875

Josh Cribbs Jets $840,000

Eric Decker Broncos $828,788

Jacoby Ford Raiders $787,211

Louis Murphy Giants $780,000

Michael Spurlock Lions $780,000

Julian Edelman Patriots $765,000

Robert Meachem Saints $715,000

Kevin Ogletree Lions $715,000

Brian Robiskie Falcons $715,000

Lavelle Hawkins Chargers $715,000

Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers $715,000

Taylor Price Jaguars $661,145

Marlon Moore Dolphins $630,000

Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers $630,000

Tandon Doss Ravens $555,000

Riley Cooper Eagles $527,870

Kyle Williams Chiefs $504,838

Dezmon Briscoe

Hmm... interesting list there DC9.

Don't know much about a handful (or 2) of those guys, but the ones that jump out -

Boldin - he'd be nice to have while we develop a guy or two, but just too expensive

Maclin - love his speed, but the injuries are concerning to say the least. Maybe if we bring him and another dude in and include injury clauses on the contract.

Cooper - looks like a pretty solid player with the length to have a good catch radius

Sanders - like his speed - could be the guy we want from what little I know of him

Nicks/ Britt - the talent is there, but major injury concerns (see Maclin)

Manningham - solid, but I think we've seen his ceiling and its mid-tier #2 at best. Probably not much of an upgrade to Morgan/Hankerson, but he'd be an adequate replacement for Morgan.

Decker - solid #2, probably not my first choice but not a bad one to target

Edelman/Cribbs - I have issues with both, but not bad options for the slot and they can help on ST - again, bring them in with someone else and I'd be ok with it

James Jones - maybe the, or one of the best options for us

Heyward-Bey/Golden Tate - intriguing options. I think they could help, just not sure how much.

Meacham - decent option, like the speed he brings

If I had to prioritize - Jones, Decker, Meacham/Sanders, Nicks, Maclin, Cooper, Britt, Heyward-Bey/Tate...... -ish :)

He got used last night for sure. He is not a bad football player, though.

I think we need to re-sign either Wilson or Biggers. That's what the slash is for, though.

We're not bad off at corner back.

Yeah, Wilson was the difference between a phenomenal and solid defensive game last night. Can't recall the last time I saw a corner picked on (effectively) so much.

James Jones - maybe the, or one of the best options for us

I wanted James Jones two years ago and last year.  Now I get to bankhead bounce anytime someone wants to step! :lol:

Jones is going to cost, though.

Yeah, Wilson was the difference between a phenomenal and solid defensive game last night. Can't recall the last time I saw a corner picked on (effectively) so much.

It's not that Wilson is/was a bad corner.  It's that he was a mismatch for Boldin.

Plus we played a lot of cover 3 and cover 2 last night (which was weird, because I dont' remember us doing so much of that) and they picked on the soft spot of Wilson's zone often.  They also picked on him in man... but there wasn't a lot Wilson could do.

I'd still offer him money because he is a solid nickel or dime depending on the match-up.

Unfortunately in a lot of cases free agent pick ups carry some risk. Teams often times don't allow talented young players go unless they have a "risk" tag on them for some reason. 

I like the idea of Maclin or Nicks and believe they both will come at a discounted rate due to their injuries. They both are young enough to overcome those injuries though. 

Will offense or defense have more money allocated to them??

I feel the offense will have the most dollars spent (Wr and OL). Defense will have more turnover though. 

I totally agree, Im just saying that I wouldnt want us to pick up Maclin, and then say "ok we're done at WR, now on to the next position of need". Now it would be great if we could get both Maclin & Nicks at a price that's not astronomical....

I honestly don't care who we go after, as long as these 3 things are addressed ... spend $25 of the $35 million for all I care.

#1 OG under 27

#1 RT under 27

#1 OC under 27

The rest ... whatever. Just get those 3. Protect the damn investment. If I have to sit through another game like last night where the QB is on the ground within 3 seconds of the snap, ever, single, play, I will punch something.

We will have a LOT more than 36 Million next year. Josh Morgan has a 9 mill salary slated for next season. He is gone among others. We will have the cap space to basically replace the entire defense if we want to.

After the defensive overhaul. The OL has got to be the primary target. RT, RG and LG all need upgrading. A true stud WR (Fitzgerald, Alexander) should be on the list as well.

We will have a LOT more than 36 Million next year. Josh Morgan has a 9 mill salary slated for next season. He is gone among others. We will have the cap space to basically replace the entire defense if we want to.

After the defensive overhaul. The OL has got to be the primary target. RT, RG and LG all need upgrading. A true stud WR (Fitzgerald, Alexander) should be on the list as well.

Nope. The estimate of 36 mil is after Morgan's contract voids.

Can we stop talking about Fitzgerald? People realize he is under contract for like 4 more years, right? We would have to trade for him ... we WON'T ... what do we even have to trade? Stop it.

And the $36 million is without any resigns ... without Morgan ... without Fletcher ... and you can free up another $3-10 million depending on who you release. If you clean house and let Chester, Montgomery, Lichtensteiger, Bowen and Carriker go I think you free up somewhere around $12 million ... but have a lot of dead space. But if you think those guys are not the answer then you  let them go.

We won't have more than $40-45 million at the most ... 

And even having said that, you don't want to blow it all on big contracts. You have RGIII and Trent coming up for contracts ... and Alf, etc. Gotta fork out money for those guys in 1-3 years.

I wanted James Jones two years ago and last year. Now I get to bankhead bounce anytime someone wants to step! :lol:

Jones is going to cost, though.

It's not that Wilson is/was a bad corner. It's that he was a mismatch for Boldin.

Plus we played a lot of cover 3 and cover 2 last night (which was weird, because I dont' remember us doing so much of that) and they picked on the soft spot of Wilson's zone often. They also picked on him in man... but there wasn't a lot Wilson could do.

I'd still offer him money because he is a solid nickel or dime depending on the match-up.

Haha, not sure what Bankhead bounce is, but that's funny anyway :)

What would you (or anyone else) guess the cost difference would be between Jones, Decker and Sanders?

And yeah, Wilson ain't bad, he was just (almost oddly so) the obvious problem w/ the D last night. We could certainly upgrade that spot, but there are many more pressing concerns than corner (assuming we re-sign Hall - which isn't a foregone conclusion given that he wants to play for a winner - and Wilson/Biggers). Think you and I are on the exact same page there.

I wouldnt mind James Jones. Solid route runner (can get open). Good yac receiver. Always seemed like he had hands issues though, whenever I would watch the Packers play.

You know, I almost feels like he's a Garçon-lite - has the positives you mentioned but occasionally drops the easy ones while also making some 'circus catches'.

This is my choice as well.

Young, fast and reasonably cheap.

And I emphasize FAST, particularly as it pertains to Heyward-Bey.

I really like the idea of adding speed, particularly with a bit more consistency in route running than a guy like A. Robinson. And cheap is good with other holes to fill and big time contracts coming due in the near future.

Haha, not sure what Bankhead bounce is, but that's funny anyway :)

What would you (or anyone else) guess the cost difference would be between Jones, Decker and Sanders?

And yeah, Wilson ain't bad, he was just (almost oddly so) the obvious problem w/ the D last night. We could certainly upgrade that spot, but there are many more pressing concerns than corner (assuming we re-sign Hall - which isn't a foregone conclusion given that he wants to play for a winner - and Wilson/Biggers). Think you and I are on the exact same page there.

In order of how much I think they'd cost?

1) Sanders

2) Jones

3) Decker

I also think the Steelers are going to do everything they can to keep Sanders, we'll see if they decide to pay him.  I know it's not in their character to pay guys, but he's been Ben's guy this year.

Sadly, I really though we were past looking for double-digit new starters every year.  But, it appears as though that's not true.

Regardless of coach, the only starters who really have a solid argument that they should keep their jobs are:

Offense:

Robert. (Yes, I still believe that he's going to be fine after an off-season.)

Trent Williams

Pierre Garcon

D. Young

Jordan Reed

Alfred Morris

Which means you're looking for 4/5ths of your OL and WR.  Actually, not TOO bad, except the 4/5 of the OL part.  

On defense, things are much more dire. The people who can absolutely lay claim they have done enough to still be around are:

Um.

well....

uhhhhhh.... 

Amerson. I'm going to say that he's the only guy who's on this list definitively, because he's shown some flashes as a rookie. 

Hall? Though he's a FA. Though, after this year, I'd probably re-sign him 

Kerrigan? Good but not spectacular. Probably a keeper.

Cofield? Maybe if they move him to DE, or DT in a 4-3?

Bowen and Carricker are, sadly, probably done for injury reasons.

London is done.

Riley? I don't think he can claim to be absolutely safe.

Wilson? Not after Monday night.

any of the safeties? Probably not. Some will return, but not because they are all that good. 

That's about it. 

DC, I'll give you Rob Jackson just for fun. :P

There are a few good young players that might step up, but are far from proven.

So, here's the question: They have a lot of cap space, and all their draft picks, save for the #1.

But, do we have enough cap room to completely re-build the entire defense and replace 5 players on offense?  Or, are we, once again, going to have to "make do" on one side of the ball, probably offense, and divert most of the ammunition to rebuilding the majority of the defense?

(This is all absent who the coach is.  I can't imagine that Mike or a new coach wouldn't see things reasonably similarly.)

VOR, as I have said to GHH, those kinds of posts overstate how bad off we are. Just because guys aren't stars doesn't mean we can't have them starting. Even the best teams have some mediocre, or worse, starters.

The Patriots, as an example, have two pretty lousy OL starters (Wendell and Connolly), nothing of any note at RB and even fairly pedestrian receivers (Gronk is great and Amendola is very good, but considering their injury histories, even they can't be considered great). On D they have guys like Tommy Kelly, Rob Ninkovich, Alfonzo Denard and Steve Gregory starting. A lot of the players you guys think we can't live with starting are very bit as good as much of the Patriots lineup (and that applies to really any other team).

The problem is we need those starters to be pushed down in importance. Example, Riley is a fine starting ILB, but he can't be your best guy there. If London was in his prime, ILB would be a real strength for us. Riley looks like a weakness because he has to be rock in the middle of our D and he's just not good enough for that.

The thing that's disturbing is how much money we're spending on weak starters. About 13 mil per year on the OL starters besides Williams. 6 mil on Morgan, 5+ on Fletcher, about 10 for Carriker and Bowen. If that money was being spent better, we could be in really good shape.

I'd just throw all the resources at building the line and getting weapons and do bargain shopping on defense. (That's probably the best argument for going 4-3, less expensive to build) and see if our new DC can turn water, if not into wine, into grape juice.

I'd want a lineup like this:

QB: RGIII/Cousins/Grossman
RB: Morris/Helu/Thompson
FB: Young
WR: Garcon
WR: Eric Decker (5 years, 40 million, 12.5m bonus)
WR: Draft pick
TE: Reed
TE: Pettigrew (4 years, 14m, 3.5m SB)
LT: Williams
LG: Lichtensteiger/midlevel FA
C:  Draft pick (Bryan Stork 3rd round?)
RG: Wade Smith (3 years, 15 million, 5m bonus)
RT: Eugene Monroe (5 years, 25 million, 7.5m bonus)

Assuming we go 3-4

DE: Lamarr Houston (5 years, 30m, 10m bonus)
NT: Jarvis Jenkins
RE: Barry Cofield
LOLB: Brian Orakpo (5 years, 40m, 14.5m bonus)
MLB: Karlos Dansby (3 years, 14m, 3.5m bonus)
MLB: Shayne Skov (2nd round)
ROLB: Ryan Kerrigan
CB: DeAngelo Hall
CB: David Amerson
CB: Richard Crawford/mid level FA
FS: Bacarri Rambo
SS: Phillip Thomas
K: Kai Forbath
P: Draft pick/rookie FA?
KR/PR: Chris Thompson

My wish list starts off:

Cam Thomas NT

Paul Soliai NT

Eric Decker WR

Right now I lean towards drafting a RT and ILB

Thomas would be a nice low-cost gamble. If we were planning on drafting a NT I might do it. But I don't think we could count on him being the guy, and if we're signing a starter, I think we have enough cheaper options to be the back-up.

Still prefer Linval Joseph. Soliai, while I wouldn't rule it out, scares me with how he'll react to a long-term big money deal.

RT and ILB are too strong in free agency this year. I think we have to strike there.

Archived