Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy Football? Do You Play? Why? If Not? Why?

KingGibbs

I've had this discussion with buddies of mine recently and it became quite the discussion. They have been trying to get me to play for years and I have simply refused to or have had no desire to play.

I also can't imagine cheering on a divisional foe and you know that happens.

Lately, the desire to play has lessened even more because I see my buddies screaming at the TV because their QB throws a pick, their RB get's stopped short of the goal line, etc. The perfect example was this past Redskins game. I have a buddy that has Morris as his RB and he went absolutely ballistic every time Helu scored instead of Morris. He is usually a reserved guy and he was dropping the 'F' bomb with regularity and that is something he doesn't do.

After the game I went up to him and said "Thanks for confirming why I don't play fantasy football." he asked "Why?" and I told him he's not himself when playing and it literally changes his mood. He's not the only guy I know that has his mood altered due to fantasy football.

So, Do you play? Why? No? Why?

I play with some guys I went to school with, because it's fun. 

Same reason I'll buy some squares or make a bunch of stupid $1 prop bets on the Super Bowl.  Little gambling here and there to liven things up.  But I don't get all worked up over it, and I definitely don't get emotionally involved in it like your friend.  Maybe he's gambling more money on ff than he should. 

I pretty much treat it as a predictive game, but not something that comes anywhere close to my love for the Redskins (which I'm very emotionally involved in).  I have RG3 on my team and I was celebrating like crazy on all of those rushing TDs for Helu, and not really thinking about ff at all when he tossed one to Reed (or when he got picked off).  I'll start guys against the Redskins because I'm not dumb.  McCoy is a great player, and he'll get yards and catches because that's what he does.  So I'll start him, but I'm rooting my guts out for us to hold him to nothing. 

That's where your buddy lost his way.  He became a bigger fan of his fantasy team than his real team. 

I play but I hate it.

This.  I stress out so much every week about my lineup, and then all day Sunday I'm on edge and constantly watching my score.

I almost stress out about fantasy every week as I do watching Redskins games.  My wife says I need to relax, but she doesn't get it LOL.

Do you get emotionally involved?

Eh not as much because I play low stakes. But I dislike the fact that while I play closer attention to the NFL because of it, that attention isn't the same. Example, Bum Philips died last week, my first thought was does this help the Chiefs D/ST with Wade coaching the Texans. Finley goes down with an injury, my first thought is look up who has him and propose a trade with one of my TEs. It dehumanizes the game for me because I'm always thinking strategy.

I have been playing for 5 years..I love it. It makes me follow not just my Skins, but all other teams in the NFL.

I do have one rule, I try not have any Dallas players on my team, I just can not bring myself to be the slightest bit happy if Dallas scores.

If you get so worked up over a game that you're screaming at the TV, I don't think the game is the problem.

I play fantasy football and love it.  To your point about rooting for divisional foes, there are never Cowboys on my team, ever.  Other than that I try not to make homer-ish decisions.

My biggest problem with Fantasy Football is that it ends up eating up my entire Sunday.  Instead of just watching the Redskins and enjoying the rest of my day, I find myself watching the late games too, just to see how my fantasy players do.

I don't live in DC so I'm usually in a bar to watch the Redskins games.  When they're playing, it's pretty easy to look over and check out other games and its not a big deal.  When the Redskins are done playing though, its just too tempting to stay and watch all the late games too.  The next thing I know, I've been sitting in a bar for 7 hours watching football and I have to get all of my Sunday errands done before hitting the sack.

I've been on a lucky streak for the last few weeks that the Redskins' game has been on TV locally, so I've gotten to do my normal gamewatching thing-- which involves doing everything else around the apartment during commercial breaks.  

Based on what I just wrote, I think it's due time to just invest in Sunday Ticket. 

I don't play b/c I have no idea how to play the players that I would draft.. :D

I participate in the Pigskin Pick Em w/the Extremeskins team here tho...

It's just a straight up pick em from week to week..I like that...I have a friend

that competes against me(he's my bears fan friend..ha ha last week..).he's not

in the Skins group of course but he likes to see if he can beat me each week..

He's only beat me once..Ha to him again...he missed 7 last week..I missed 4 (bowin thank u thank u)

I've always seen fantasy football as complicated don't know why tho..I've never tried it...Maybe I should just to see

Nothing's more annoying then people talking about fantasy football.  We get it "you needed such a such to do this and he didn't or you need such and such on the other team not to do that but he did" and you lost.  Repeat, week in and week out.  It's honestly painful.  Just be quiet.

Interesting topic.  I actually have played FF for probably 10 years and I very much enjoy it.  I don't let it take me over emotionally and I don't root against skins players or things like that.   The main reason I play is for money...past three years I have made close $5k in profit from FF.

Furthermore, Fantasy Football has added an extreme value to the NFL and TV ratings as a whole.  TV and Sports outlets love it, because it adds rating.  For instance, that Monday night game was just awful and the ratings for that game probably would have tanked, however you have a ton of people watching that game just for Fantasy Football aspects.  It has brought a whole new audience that are not really team loyal, but "sport/player" loyal.

Also, I was able to get my wife into a league of mine and to be honest it makes our Sundays more enjoyable and we try to get a social event together with friends every Sunday.  Sunday is like Christmas morning for me.

I play it - been in a league with old highschool buddies for about 10 years now. Keeps us in touch and gives non-redskins games a little more meaning.

If I can avoid it, though, I never draft any Redskins... I'm too much of an optimistic homer, I'd rather not deal with the stress of it

I am a complete football junkie. I do not live in an area with Skins fans, so playing FF with coworkers at least allows me to talk football with them without suffering thru too much Eagles drivel.

Like balki said above, it makes you more interested in basically every single NFL game, which is never a bad thing. FF is why I clearly remember the '06 week 6 showdown between the Cardinals and the Bears. Most people will remember that game for the unparalleled postgame rant from Dennis Green. FF vets also remember this game as Rex's night where he scored -7 points (someone in my dynasty league did start him that week) - 148 yards passing, 0 TDs and 6 turnovers :o

And besides, it's just another way for us to give our buddies grief for doing dumb stuff. Isn't that always a good thing?

Our first season was in the 1991-92 season, the year we won our last SB.  Our league lasted up until this year.  After 22 years, I decided I'd had enough.  It was fun.  We played for a trophy every year.  Winner got his own trophy and not a shared one. We had a keeper league, so I actually have had Jason Witten his whole career.  I never openly rooted for him.  I just played him, knowing he'd get me points.  If he did, he did, if he didn't, he didn't.  There is a way to separate your hatred for a rival player and still have them on your FF team. 

But first rule was always, the state of the Redskins came first.  if I played Witten and we held him to 25 yards and no scores, I just tried to see if the other players on my team could take up the slack and I was always happy that we shut him down and won and if my FF team lost, so be it. 

Never took it seriously.  Always for fun and bragging rights.  As bad as we've been for the last 22 years, it was a welcome distraction.  First year in 22 that I don't have a rooting interest in any players, but our own.  I still find myself looking for my players.  I had Megatron and AJ Green on the same team last year with Witten.  Last week I would have cleaned up. Wow, would they have given me a ton of points.

But now, I just watch other "teams" and enjoy the games as best I can.  FF isn't for everyone and it kind of pisses me off when some downgrade it, categorizing fans as unloyal and such, when most that play are very loyal to their NFL teams. I don't think I'll go back to it, but it was fun while it lasted. 

Love it and hate it. It's a lot of fun if you do it with a close group of friends which is what my buddies and I have been doing for 7 years, going all the way back to high school.

I would never do fantasy football with a bunch of randoms where bragging rights and other stuff wasn't on line. To me, most of the fun is being in a league with my best friends.

Hate it because yes, you do get emotionally involved. The Redskins won but my FF team lost by .3. I literally lost because Adrian Peterson caught a 6 yard pass in garbage time and my opponent needed 3 yards from him to win. AP didn't get anything else for the rest of the game. It's a completely unnecessary and ridiculous thing to have as a part of your fall Sunday/Monday's.

Played one year. Got first pick and went with Ladanian Tomlinson. And that happened to be the year that he completely disappeared off the face of the earth. Meanwhile my friends that knew absolutely nothing about football, only names, dominated.

I have zero luck, which is all it is. I haven't played since then.

Archived