Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where Should I Move?

abdcskins

Been in LA since 2000 and ready for a change.  Kicking around the idea of moving.  Name some nice cities to move to.  Strongly considering Portland, Oregon.  Anyone ever been there?  I'm gonna go visit.

No major factors in particular.  Some might be night life, cleanliness, outdoor activities, and overall feel.  I am more of an urban person than rural, but the idea of peace and quiet is appealing more to me.  LA is so damn loud and dirty.  Oh, and I will say this, but cool (as in temperature) weather is a plus.  It may sound crazy, but 73 degrees and sunny is getting old.  I like variety and crisp air. 

Denver....duh  ;)

waaaaay to many reasons that fit the description you're looking for, but i'm on my phone

i'll be back later to spam this thread with reasons to move to the Mile High  :)

real quick though, every friend that's come to visit me (from Chicago, DC, NC, and Seattle), have said "Denver is ****ing beautiful."  :)

If you're completely agnostic to local industries, etc, its really hard to beat Colorado.  Denver is a clean and safe city and some of the world's best skiing is a 2-3 hour drive away.

Also, I have to put in a plug for where I live: Chicago; the crime is not a problem unless you're heavily involved in drug deals and gang activity.  It has a great diversified economy, and you can actually afford to live there.  The winters are rough, but if you're smart about where you live, everything is pretty much walkable.

I'm currently working in LA and just took a trip to the game in oakland and visited SF.  Very different up there, I'd consider the Bay area if I had an opportunity there. I move all over all the time, I still long for my return to coastal SE NC though.   Good luck!

Speaking for myself, I've grown tired of the big city rush hour life, where it's a hassle to get anywhere, due to the absurd amount of people. It's fun, and there's tons to do, but the drawbacks to that kind of life are becoming too much.

Maybe it's the commute (an hour both ways on a good day) that's doing it, but give me a smaller town near the coast (I love being near water) with a beach, with less people, and just enough nightlife, and I'm good. I need some peace and quiet.

Well if you are thinking of Portland I get the feeling that you a hipster so I would suggest some city with less then a population of 1. Aka start your own city because living in a city is too mainstream just people who conform to society because they think thats how a society is suppose to be people living in groups and stuff

Well if you are thinking of Portland I get the feeling that you a hipster so I would suggest some city with less then a population of 1. Aka start your own city because living in a city is too mainstream just people who conform to society because they think thats how a society is suppose to be people living in groups and stuff

Who have you ever heard say that? Just curious. That's trying dangerously too hard to be cool.

but give me a smaller town near the coast (I love being near water) with a beach, with less people, and just enough nightlife, and I'm good. I need some peace and quiet.

I hear ya...lived in Atlanta 18 years, then moved to an island off Savannah where I could see my boat in the water.(4 years there)...Then had to move back. Talk about depression!

Tell us how you really feel... :rolleyes:

Been in LA since 2000 and ready for a change.  Kicking around the idea of moving.  Name some nice cities to move to.  Strongly considering Portland, Oregon.  Anyone ever been there?  I'm gonna go visit.

No major factors in particular.  Some might be night life, cleanliness, outdoor activities, and overall feel.  I am more of an urban person than rural, but the idea of peace and quiet is appealing more to me.  LA is so damn loud and dirty.  Oh, and I will say this, but cool (as in temperature) weather is a plus.  It may sound crazy, but 73 degrees and sunny is getting old.  I like variety and crisp air. 

Boston, Denver, Portland or Seattle.  Big cities but not too big and all within a short drive of the Rockies/ocean/Martha's Vineyard etc.

Denver.  Period.

First off, Denver is the beer capital of the United States.  There are more breweries in Denver than any other city in the country.  :)

Cost of living.  Denver is the cheapest city in the country with population of over 3 million people.   :)

Of all the cities I've lived in my life (DC, Seattle, Charlotte, San Antonio), Denver is the nicest place I've ever lived.  Friendly people, lots to do, best skiing in the country, hiking, white water rafting, biking, etc.  Colorado is the most fit country in the US.  most of the ladies around here are hot and in shape ;)

Job market.  the job market here in Denver is booming, and for me as a federal employee, after DC, Denver has the 2nd largest amount of gov't employees in the US.   

The views.  The Rocky Mountains are SO GOD DAMN BIG, that you have a full view of the Rocks anywhere in the city.  downtown, west side, east side, north....down south.    

denver_skyline.jpg

my work here is done.  PM me when you get here  lol.   :)

I'm born and raised in DC.  I'm not from the suburbs, I'm from the city.  I bleed Georgia Avenue northwest DC.  But i'll never move back.  Ever.  The only thing I miss about DC is the Redskins, gogo music, mambo sauce, and Georgia Ave.  But that's why God invented airplanes so i can visit.  :)

Thanks for the responses everyone.  Denver and Colorado does indeed look cool.  I'm not much of a skier, but if I moved there I'd probably have to take it up.  I've pondered moving back to DC, but as of now I don't think so.  I know I'll probably end up back there eventually in my older age when I take over the home I grew up in.

Of course, I'd have to find housing and employment wherever I end up.  I wonder if it is easier to do that now, or if I were to just quit my job and move then find all that.  The one thing I can say is that I have a pretty good job right now.

Also, I wonder if my urge to move is a product of my state.  It's easy for me to say, "LA sucks," and leave, but I wonder if that is a result of my emotional and social condition rather than environmental.  Because I could easily move to Portland and be just as unhappy there.  In the end though, I would love to have some rain and fresh chilly air in my life!  Plus some nice green trees.  LA has none of that.  It would be something new.  I'm gonna start looking for jobs today in Denver and Portland.  Thanks everyone. 

Thanks for the responses everyone.  Denver and Colorado does indeed look cool.  I'm not much of a skier, but if I moved there I'd probably have to take it up.  I've pondered moving back to DC, but as of now I don't think so.  I know I'll probably end up back there eventually in my older age when I take over the home I grew up in.

Of course, I'd have to find housing and employment wherever I end up.  I wonder if it is easier to do that now, or if I were to just quit my job and move then find all that.  The one thing I can say is that I have a pretty good job right now.

Also, I wonder if my urge to move is a product of my state.  It's easy for me to say, "LA sucks," and leave, but I wonder if that is a result of my emotional and social condition rather than environmental.  Because I could easily move to Portland and be just as unhappy there.  In the end though, I would love to have some rain and fresh chilly air in my life!  Plus some nice green trees.  LA has none of that.  It would be something new.  I'm gonna start looking for jobs today in Denver and Portland.  Thanks everyone. 

I'm quitting and moving before finding a job when I move soon. I'm also staying with my parents until I line things up so take that fwiw

Archived