Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where Should I Move?

abdcskins

I don't think skiing is required if you live in Denver. People who live there seem to talk more about their summer activities (trail running, biking, hiking, etc) than their winter exploits. 

Geography matters. On some subconscious level your body and mind are probably telling you that LA isn't a good fit for you. DC wasn't a good fit for me—so we moved. 

I've skied before in France and liked it.  I'm just not great at it.  I also hear what Elessar is saying, not required.  One can easily bike or hike, or just walk around enjoying the scenery.  I also hear you Elessar, geography does matter indeed.  LA does not have scenery.  San Diego has infinitely more scenery than LA- that's a city I love.  LA is a vast metropolis of concrete and building with some mountains bordering it.  Add some smog, horrible traffic, and self-centered people (generalization) and you've got this mess.  The beach is cool, but it just a straight stretch, no cool harbors or anything.  And the water is no bueno.  People do not swim in the ocean in LA, they lie on the beach trying to look cool.

I actually emailed my current company in Portland and they said they are not hiring now but might do so in the first half of 2014.  They said they'd like to do an informal meet and greet with me when I am in town.  So that's good.

Yeah don't move until you have a job lined up. Unemployment sucks, and companies move at their own pace in the hiring process (speaking from current experience). And definitely take up skiing.

I'm moving from NoVA to San Diego and its nearly impossible to get someone to hire you from across the country. They only like local candidates for the most part. I'm lucky to be in a situation that I can have my living expenses subsidized until getting on my feet

First of all, I'm jealous of the ability to even consider this. The last time I was in Deep Creek I didn't want to leave. I'm sure I'd get bored, but the hustle of the north east is exhausting. If there were more jobs, I'd recommend finding a place on the Jersey Shore. I'm biased. 

The choices in this thread are pretty great. Chicago is wonderful. Ditto San Fran and Seattle. I've never been to Portland or Denver, but could envision myself going and never coming home. It sounds like a place like Lake Tahoe might be a little too low key for your tastes. If not, I bet there are many great smaller towns built around lakes and nature in general. The employment part is the problem.

Sinister pretty much sums it up for me. 

Speaking for myself, I've grown tired of the big city rush hour life, where it's a hassle to get anywhere, due to the absurd amount of people. It's fun, and there's tons to do, but the drawbacks to that kind of life are becoming too much.

I live in LA and have a love hate relationship with it. I love that I've lived here 15 years and keep finding new areas -- wildly different areas -- that I didn't know about. I hate the cost of living and the sheer amount of people. You can pretty much do anything you would ever want to do here if you put in the effort, but man it can be exhausting. Since my wife and I both work in the entertainment industry, we're pretty much stuck here.

Now if we could move, I think Denver would be at the top of the list with Portland a close second. Both are really great and affordable places to live.

I also love Richmond, Virginia. 

Good luck.

I hear Denver and Boulder are pretty sweet.

Denver....duh   ;)

Colorado seems a good fit

I love SF so far. My 2nd choice would be Austin, TX or Denver

If you're completely agnostic to local industries, etc, its really hard to beat Colorado.  Denver is a clean and safe city and some of the world's best skiing is a 2-3 hour drive away.

my brother moved to Denver two years ago and absolutely loves it. Been...thinking about possibly moving there actually

Boston, Denver, Portland or Seattle.  

Denver or somewhere in Colorado. 

I don't think skiing is required if you live in Denver. People who live there seem to talk more about their summer activities (trail running, biking, hiking, etc) than their winter exploits. 

Now if we could move, I think Denver would be at the top of the list with Portland a close second. Both are really great and affordable places to live.

:)   ;)

denver+colorado+worldvisits.jpg

Psssht....Denver is so popular that no one goes there any more. ;)

funny you say that...

its kind of an inside joke around here in the Denver area.  The Colorado/Denver natives love this place so much, and there are so many transplants, people say things like "don't tell anybody else" to keep the area from overcrowding LOL.  

Denver is the perfect mix of urban living and outdoor activities.  Biking, hiking, skiiing, white water rafting, and yet Denver has the 8th biggest downtown in the country.  underground music, jazz clubs, beer, #1 sports city in America (more pro sports teams than any other city in the country).  As a kid growing up in DC, all I knew about Denver was the Broncos.  But my oh my, there's so much more.   :)

Archived