Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How In The Hell Did Va Dems Nominate Mcauliffe For Governor?

SkinsHokieFan

Looks like Obenshain retook the lead with 100% of the votes counted.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/obenshain-herring-in-dead-heat-in-virginia-attorney-generals-race-recount-expected/2013/11/06/f3d49976-46b0-11e3-b6f8-3782ff6cb769_story.html

The Virginia attorney general’s race was headed for a recount Wednesday morning, with Republican state Sen. Mark D. Obenshain holding a tiny lead over Democratic state Sen. Mark Herring after the final votes were tallied.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, according to the Associated Press, Obenshain (Harrisonburg) had a 286-vote lead over Herring (Loudoun) — out of some 2.2 million votes cast. Obenshain had led by several hundred votes late Wednesday, but fell behind Herring overnight before capturing the lead once more.

I think Chris Christie would be an excellent executive in general, with his weight being my big issue with him.

I don't believe any Democrats would vote for him over Hillary Clinton.

True democrats won't vote republican no matter who runs pretty much.  But a huge chunk of the country identifies as independent and those votes would be in play for Christie.

Maybe Christie wouldn't beat Hillary.  But what if she doesn't run?  How do you like his odds against a weaker candidate?  What about versus Biden or Kerry?  Christie is a political star.  I think he'd beat Biden and Kerry in a one on one race.  Especially if Obamacare gets branded a failure and unemployment remains high and wages low.  He'd force Dems to run a star candidate too, and they might not have one ready for 2016.  And regardless, Hillary's got a long past too attack too.  Christie would force Hillary to run an excellent campaign IMO.

Weight falls to a back seat for me.  There is always going to be some sort of political crisis that trumps it in relevance.  He'll need to keep losing some weight to be able to strike a decent image, but don't underestimate the lovable overweight guy effect either.  Christie has the personal magnetism to cast himself that way.

Christie has the personal magnetism to cast himself that way.

peter-griffin-orbit-o.gif

I'm curious - other than Hilary, would Kerry and Biden be the top choices that the Dems would nominate? At least at this point? If so, you're right, I don't think they'd stand a chance against Christie.

I don't have any concerns for Hillary's age.  She'll get such a large women's vote that it won't matter who the Republicans run as long as they stick to their abominable platform that's anti-woman, anti-gay, and pro-business over human beings.  Just look at the number differential in the VA election among unmarried women voters, 42+.  Since there are more women in the registered electorate with a big push to register/correctly register women for 2016, let the Republicans/Tea Party trot out a few more candidates like in 2012.

I think her age will be OK so long as she gets rested and healthy before the exhausting campaigning starts. 

I'm sure the past questionable deals and acquaintances of the Clinton circle will get hammered again. Whether anything will stick is unknown. Bill could be an incredible asset too, but his attacks on Obama in 2008 failed pretty badly so he will have to be careful how he gets involved so that he doesn't come across as 'an angry husband defending his wife'.

I could never figure out why Virginia holds an election for their highest position in an off year.

It has always smacked of trying to limit voter turnout to me.

I thought that too, then I checked - and Virginia has been doing it this way since 1851.   

I know Cuccinelli certainly mobilized women against him this election.  My GF doesn't care about politics at all most of the time, but she couldn't stand Cuccinelli and couldn't wait to vote against him.  Women got McAuliffe elected and women's issues is the single biggest reason Cooch lost.  It was the number one reason my GF voted against Cooch.  By far.

The GOP is going to have a devil of a time getting women to vote for them if Hillary runs.  My Grandma and my GF's mom have voted Republican for almost their entire lives and they'd probably vote for Hillary.  Women's issues are very important to her and certainly to younger conservative women like my GF's mom, and their views are a total break with the GOP's anti-woman ideology.  Talk about pointlessly driving an essential and natural part of your base away.

In my generation, women are generally much more on top of things than men are.  I'd say they're more likely to vote.  Pretty stupid to alienate them.

While I don't think anyone can defeat Hillary in the Dem primaries, I do think she will need a solid running mate to fall back on.

Someone like Andrew Cuomo or Elizabeth Warren (or for that matter, Kirsten Gillibrand) would make a lot of sense.

I thought that too, then I checked - and Virginia has been doing it this way since 1851.   

And who says that wasn't the original intention then?

;)

I think Chris Christie would be an excellent executive in general, with his weight being my big issue with him.

I don't believe any Democrats would vote for him over Hillary Clinton.

Perhaps.  But moderates/undecides would, and the media actually does like him.  Despite allegations by Rush and Fox News and company, the Democrats do not control the "lamestream" media the way the GOP controls Rush and Fox News.  

(MSNBC excepted, of course....)   

I need someone to explain to me how Christie does not simply repeat Giuliani's disaster of a campaign in 2008. He will get practically zero votes in either Iowa or South Carolina and will have to count on the Floridas of the world to keep him afloat. He's more liberal than Romney and will lack the money and organization that Romney had to compete in every state.

- Romney won New Hampshire thanks to it being "home territory" for him. Christie can do okay here, but it's not a lock that we does well.

- Romney nearly won Iowa; I can't see Christie getting above 10 percent there.

- South Carolina will be a disaster for him.

His whole campaign strategy will be "Survive until Florida" - which was Guiliani's plan.

Christie is HATED by the tea party. He is HATED by Evangelicals. (Granted those two are basically the same). And he is HATED by everyone who hates Obama (which are most GOP voters right now). Whatever billionaire backs Ted Cruz will flood early primary states with ads of Christie and Obama walking practically hand in hand during the aftermath of Sandy.

I think he would formidable in a general election and could seriously alter the electoral math by putting states like PA and NJ in play. But if he runs, I don't know how he survives beyond the first four contests.

I need someone to explain to me how Christie does not simply repeat Giuliani's disaster of a campaign in 2008. 

Ummm...  by talking about something other than being the hero of 9/11?   :)

And Christie actually isn't more liberal than Romney.   He's quite conservative, except on a few social issues.   But he does have the advantage over Romney of 1) actually having some integrity and backbone and 2) not being an out of touch plutocrat.  

Ummm...  by talking about something other than being the hero of 9/11?   :)

And Christie actually isn't more liberal than Romney.   He's quite conservative, except on a few social issues.   But he does have the advantage over Romney of 1) actually having some integrity and backbone and 2) not being an out of touch plutocrat.  

And how are those positions on social issues are going to help him in Iowa and South Carolina? Romney was able to walk between the rain drops on his stances on social issues early on and his money in organization kept him competitive in Iowa and SC. Plus, there was never a good contender on the Right to unify the vote against him.

Christie is not going to have campaigned in Iowa for five years prior to 2016 and Evangelicals are going to view him as Goombah Satan or something.

If Christie gets 8 percent in SC, I will buy you a Barry Bonds poster.

If Christie wants to win the 2016 primary, he needs to resign and move to Iowa today.

And how are those positions on social issues are going to help him in Iowa and South Carolina? Romney was able to walk between the rain drops on his stances on social issues early on and his money in organization kept him competitive in Iowa and SC. Plus, there was never a good contender on the Right to unify the vote against him.

Christie is not going to have campaigned in Iowa for five years prior to 2016 and Evangelicals are going to view him as Goombah Satan or something.

Nah, I agree with you on that.  I just wanted to clarify that Christie isn't a moderate.  He is a pragmatic conservative.  

It's kind of like when people used to say that John McCain was a "moderate."  The only thing moderate about John McCain was that he didn't stamp his feet, point fingers and refuse to work with the other side to get some stuff accomplished.   Being a conservative these days means quoting Rush Limbaugh and refusing to do ANYTHING that might be percieved as cooperating with Democrats on any issue.  (in before twa tells us that the Democrats are the true obstructionists...  :)  )

On his actual policy positions, McCain was a rock-ribbed conservative.   Christie is little different.   

And just a few random stats from the local VA election:

• The Republicans were crushed in the NoVA counties where the median household income is over $90k. These aren't the welfare recipients the the Republicans claim is the Dems base.
  •  

Just a different kinda welfare recipient Amigo 

If Christie wants to win the 2016 primary, he needs to resign and move to Iowa today.

Romney didn't "walk between the rain drops".....   Romney  like McCain before him was a pragmatic moderate respected right leaning career politician who was forced to run as a severe conservative in order to get the GOP nomination.   Both did this by disavowing every achievement and position they held in public life prior to running for President.      John McCain reversed himself on stem cell research, agents of intolerance, Bush's warrant less wiretap program, indefinite detention,  court trials for gitmo detainees; the Iraq and Afghanistan wars,   Torture... the bush tax cuts  etc etc etc......  Hell he reversed himself on his own immigration bill which he tried to get passed just a few month before election cycle began.    

Mitt Romney reversed himself on Obamacare,   The Mass healthcare legislation,  gun control,  abortion,   the bush tax cut...supporting Reagain in the 1980's,  Vietnam,  Climate change,  No new Tax pledge;  and ran as a Severe Conservative.

The model is popular GOP moderates are selected by the party because they are most electable... But these same moderates are required to push so hard to the right by the fringes of the GOP;  what's left of them come election time is either unrecognizable to the center;  or look so dishonest not just by flipping away from what made them popular;  but then trying to flip back again to the center just prior to the general.... Remember Mitt Romney and the etch and sketch comment..

Today Christie is the most popular politician in the country and has been for the last 12 months...   Much like John McCain was the most popular politician back in 2003....    Christie's challenge is frankly to alienate the right wing of his party and continue to push to the center.    Just like Bill Clinton did.      Bill always said if you weren't upsetting the folks on the fringes of the Democratic party he wasn't doing his job.    Christie needs to try to adopt that strategy and hope enough moderate republicans will support him to give him the nomination.

The funny thing though Christie isn't a moderate...  He's far to the right of Romney and McCain were when they went after the nomination.    The only thing that makes Christie a moderate is he's willing to solicit and accept money from a democratic President when his state is in the middle of a natural catastrophe.     That and maybe because he hasn't passed legislation to force women to accept foreign objects up their WhoHaa's in order to receive medical treatment..

Nope, not according to the people that re-elected Christie with over 60% of the vote. http://www.msnbc.com/all/christie-hillary-clinton-2016

A Hillary Clinton + Mark Warner ticket in 2016 would be damn near unstoppable, even if the Obamacare rollout continues to be such a headache.

Nobody is beating Hillary, the question is how many EV's will she get. 

And if you can't solidly hold on to your home state (Al Gore/Mitt Romney), you should not be running for President

Archived