Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How In The Hell Did Va Dems Nominate Mcauliffe For Governor?

SkinsHokieFan

I think it's pretty clear who the GOP nominee for President in 2016 must be if they want to actually try and win.

I'm curious to see the Tea Party reaction here. In VA it might be that the GOP didn't support Cooch enough. But what about the primary in Ala? They had a favorite who lost to the establishment GOPer....and then you have Christie who will not likely embrace them. Do they go after him?

Until there are viable 3rd party candidates, a vote for them is basically a "present" vote." You only get one vote a year, I'd rather not waste it.

I consider a vote for either of the "Big 2" candidates to be wasted.  It's just an endorsement of politics as usual.  A 3rd party candidate won't be considered "viable" until people start voting for one, so refusing to vote for one until they become "viable" means they'll never become viable.

And people wonder why we get such awful choices in politics. 

No I'm saying Christie is the only Republican that can win the presidential election in 2016.

I doubt that.  Frankly, I think once the spotlight shines on him- he won't make it that far.  The stuff about him in "Double Down: Game Change 2012" will be investigated and will probably take him down.   Also,  he's comes off as a thug-bully.  While that might play well in the northeast and maybe Chicago; that bullying style won't play well in other parts of the country.  You are going vote for PResident; someone who will tell you to sit down and shut up. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obamas-advisers-considered-replacing-biden-with-clinton-according-to-book/2013/10/31/2f8bbf10-4285-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html 

The landmines for Christie:

>>>According to a memo published in the book, the unanswered questions included those about a defamation lawsuit from earlier in Christie’s career; a Securities and Exchange Commission settlement involving Christie’s brother, Todd; the names and documented status of Christie’s household employees; his clients from his time as a securities industry lobbyist; and his medical history.<<

I think once more is known about him; his star will diminish.

Christie has no shot.

If the Romney team was too uncomfortable with him to put him on the ticket, he will get destroyed before the South Carolina primary.

If he does actually get to the General, Hillary's team, and the media that loves Christie right now, will completely slaughter him. Videos like him lecturing a teacher last week will be played over and over again.

Lastly, he is fat. Really really fat. 

Christie has no shot.

If the Romney team was too uncomfortable with him to put him on the ticket, he will get destroyed before the South Carolina primary.

If he does actually get to the General, Hillary's team, and the media that loves Christie right now, will completely slaughter him. Videos like him lecturing a teacher last week will be played over and over again.

Lastly, he is fat. Really really fat. 

You do make me laugh with the fat comments about Christie.  I can't tell if you're serious or not, which is the hallmark of a great joke.

If he gets through the primary, which is a longshot, I don't think the media will kill him.  I actually think he's a bit of a media darling.  Unless you mean the right wing media will kill him.  Limbaugh, Hannity, etc., hate him.  The "lamestream" media likes him a lot.

I'd consider voting for him.  Need to check out the issues with him, but he's a very attractive candidate to even a moderate democrat.

The "lamestream" media likes him a lot.

I'd consider voting for him.  Need to check out the issues with him, but he's a very attractive candidate to even a moderate democrat.

Ha.

I am serious about his weight being an issue (and rightfully so, can a man that large serve as POTUS?) 

I think Dems, and the "lamestream" media will not be with him over Hillary in a general. The guy is a union busting bully who is probably 90% conservative 

His weight wouldn't ever be an overt issue, but it would be an undercurrent of sorts. It is true that a candidate's appearance and physical stature makes a difference, sad as that is. Nobody would be making ads about it but it would still be on the tip of some peoples' tongues.

And still too many sheeple can't see outside the two-party box.  Contemporary politics won't ever improve until people wake up. 

You vote third-party, you get Jesse Ventura - who wins the statehouse and then can't really govern because he has no natural support in the legislature.

Thomas Jefferson figured out our system. You get a 50.01 majority in 50.01 percent of elections and you can rule.

I doubt that.  Frankly, I think once the spotlight shines on him- he won't make it that far.  The stuff about him in "Double Down: Game Change 2012" will be investigated and will probably take him down.   Also,  he's comes off as a thug-bully.  While that might play well in the northeast and maybe Chicago; that bullying style won't play well in other parts of the country.  You are going vote for PResident; someone who will tell you to sit down and shut up. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obamas-advisers-considered-replacing-biden-with-clinton-according-to-book/2013/10/31/2f8bbf10-4285-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html

The landmines for Christie:

>>>According to a memo published in the book, the unanswered questions included those about a defamation lawsuit from earlier in Christie’s career; a Securities and Exchange Commission settlement involving Christie’s brother, Todd; the names and documented status of Christie’s household employees; his clients from his time as a securities industry lobbyist; and his medical history.<<

I think once more is known about him; his star will diminish.

You're missing the big picture.  Christie just won an election in a blue state by a landslide.  His brand has never been stronger.  He's a household name.  He's charismatic and very electable to centrists and people who are craving functionality, sanity, moderation, and bipartisanship.  Which is a majority of the country.  Christie would require the Democrats to actually run their best candidate and a good campaign.

The primaries would be a legitimate obstacle.  But it basically boils down to the powers that be in the GOP deciding whether or not they want to actually try and win the election.  They can support Christie or they keep trotting out unelectable clowns that run crappy campaigns and give the White House to the Democrats in perpetuity.  They can not win with a right winger.  There is no other realistic option for them.

Ha.

I am serious about his weight being an issue (and rightfully so, can a man that large serve as POTUS?) 

I think Dems, and the "lamestream" media will not be with him over Hillary in a general. The guy is a union busting bully who is probably 90% conservative 

I wouldn't be so sure that his weight would be a big negative.  He's not a tub of goo and I think it's actually disarming.  Depending on how he handles it, it could actually make him more likeable and relateable and that's a big factor in a candidate's brand.  People are far more willing to trust the messaging coming out of the camp of a guy they like and relate to.

Yesterday should have been a good one for the GoP establishment and the type of Republican that identifies more with the local chamber of commerce than the evangelical church. Christie wins, Cuccinelli and his crazy Lieutenant lose, Byrne wins in AL (against the Tea Party candidate Young).

Mr. Byrne opened his victory speech at a seafood restaurant here by reaching out to his opponent, Dean Young, saying he wanted to work with him to unify the Republican Party.

“If you’re in the minority, as we are in Washington, you’ve got to be unified or you can accomplish nothing,” Mr. Byrne said in a brief interview after his victory speech.

But in a sign of just how difficult that unity may be, Mr. Young, a conservative businessman who unsuccessfully ran for this seat last year, said again at his election night gathering that he would not vote for Mr. Byrne in the general election, and would not even call him to concede defeat.

Maintaining the defiant tone that attracted his supporters in the first place, Mr. Young said in his concession speech that he was considering forming a national organization.

“This is the first warning shot that goes out across the nation,” he said.

... In debates, Mr. Byrne, who ran unsuccessfully for governor in 2010, spoke in level tones about infrastructure projects he wanted to bring to the district, while Mr. Young stuck to fiery but largely general grievances against Washington and the Obama administration. Mr. Byrne painted a happy picture of the district’s good times ahead; Mr. Young lamented the “end of a Western Christian empire.”

And just a few random stats from the local VA election:

• The Republicans were crushed in the NoVA counties where the median household income is over $90k. These aren't the welfare recipients the the Republicans claim is the Dems base.
  •  
  • McAuliffe's statewide margin was 55K. He won Fairfax County by 66K
  •  
  • Both candidates were horribly weak ... and Cuccinelli lost because of his social conservatism. He actually won with voters who said the economy and healthcare were their top concerns. He got destroyed by people coming to vote on his abortion stance. Womens vote (McAuliffe +8), unmarried women (McAuliffe +42). Or as Rush Limbaugh would call it "the promiscuous slut demographic".

Archived