Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How In The Hell Did Va Dems Nominate Mcauliffe For Governor?

SkinsHokieFan

I wonder if hated, transparent efforts by GOP state legislatures to suppress voter turnout are backfiring and mobilizing the black vote?

At the very least, it's throwing more poison the well among black voters against the GOP.

I think a low turnout election was the goal of Cuccinelli's campaign, which makes sense. A super conservative candidate in VA benefits from low turnout. Off year, young people certainly aren't going to vote. Demographics overwhelmingly favorite a moderate. I think he was happy to make it an ugly race to suppress turnout further.

He ran a good campaign, it nearly worked despite the fact he started out at a major disadvantage.

IMO this is the lesson that GOP strategists will take away if they get a super conservative nominee in 2016. Especially if Democrats nominate someone with a long past like Hillary. I'd expect a very negative campaign, but the GOP will have to do it without accidentally mobilizing a key demographic they can't hope to win like women or minorities.

IMO this is the lesson that GOP strategists will take away if they get a super conservative nominee in 2016. Especially if Democrats nominate someone with a long past like Hillary. I'd expect a very negative campaign, but the GOP will have to do it without accidentally mobilizing a key demographic they can't hope to win like women or minorities.

Bengazi! Impeachment! People died!

JMS...what's your source for this write-up? I haven't researched it all, but I did see him on election day belittling the idea that the shutdown was a good idea.

Just saying...opposition will put out a ton of things and characterize positions much differently than Christie himself ever would.

Also, watch this speech and tell me this doesn't have a ton of cross-over appeal. Note the Mayor he's talking about is a Democrat.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YehocFM3hpE

http://www.ontheissues.org/Chris_Christie.htm

Let government shutdown occur, until Legislature is ready. If the state government ever shuts down because there is no budget I wouldn't drag a cot into his office.

Rise to Power, by B. Ingle & M. Symons, p.128 Jun 5, 2012

So in this quote Christi is talking about the 2010 government shutdown forced by Republicans.   There are a lot of specific quotes about 2012 where he says he's both against the shutdown, and he blames the Democrats for shutting down the government.   Which is frankly political jabber.    I quoted this earlier quote on government shutdowns because I think it more accurately reflects his lack of concern with shutdowns in a time when he wasn't filtering everything he said.

...and what the VA GOP will take from this election is the notion that they need to tighen voting requirements and make it harder for certain demographics (the poor) to vote.

Not that they need to stop electing fringe candidates.

Yes in Virginia the choice the major parties left us was between institutionalized corruption,  and a fanatical demogog.  The people narrowly chose corruption....   after 4 years under back room deals and the leadership of someone who has no political experience as a leader;  it's very likely at least 2% of the voters in Virginia will choose fanatical demogogery if given the same choice in 2016.

It's funny how Virginians always assume that everyone wants to put a Virginia guy on a national ticket.   I remember how Tim Kaine was going to be the Democratic VP candidate, and how George Allen was going to be the Republican VP candidate, and how Chuck Robb was going to be the Democratic VP candidate....

Except that Tim Kaine was the chairman of the DNC..... and Jim Gilmore was the chairman of the RNC...  back to back Va Governor's too.    And it wasn't Virginians saying George Allen was a likely GOP presidential front runner... it was national polls....

Frankly Virginia has produced more presidents than every other state except Ohio..   We're tied with Ohio...   We got 8...  and they were mostly studs...   Which is why Virginia is awsome...

California for instance has only 3.. .and two were disasters...  Herbert Hoover and Richard Nixon......     That's why even Californians favor Virginia politicians over their own offerings.    Cause we are just more trustworthy...   well generally...  we won't discuss our 2012 governors race.

Except that Tim Kaine was the chairman of the DNC..... and Jim Gilmore was the chairman of the RNC...  back to back Va Governor's too.    And it wasn't Virginians saying George Allen was a likely GOP presidential candidate... it was national polls....

Frankly Virginia has produced more presidents than every other state except Ohio..   We're tied with Ohio...   We got 8...  and they were mostly studs...   Which is why Virginia is awsome...

California for instance has only 3.. .and two were disasters...  Herbert Hoover and Richard Nixon......     That's why even Californians favor Virginia politicians over their own offerings.    Cause we are just more trustworthy...   well generally...  we won't discuss our 2012 governors race.

I know this was mostly tongue in cheek..but considering Virginia hasn't had a native born President in almost 100 years..I'm not sure how relevant it is.

Predicto is correct - most of us overvalue the national appeal of our homegrown politicians.

I know this was mostly tongue in cheek..but considering Virginia hasn't had a native born President in almost 100 years..I'm not sure how relevant it is.

Yes it was..  Except for the fact that Virginia has has more Governors in national political leadership, 3 party chairmen in the 2000's than any other state.   That was more a definative defense of Virginia as a thought leader in both parties.

Predicto is correct - most of us overvalue the national appeal of our homegrown politicians.

I disagree... although Virginia has gone from super state to relative backwater... ( thank God for Mississippi and South Carolina )...

Virginia polititians either Republican or Democrats tend to be the kinds of candidates which run for their party nominations.    Our Whackadoodle Republicans are right in line with other whackadoodles who competed with Romney for the GOP nomination unsucessfully...   I don't think Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry are more embarrasing than Ken Cuccinelli...   I think they all go hand and hand...   In fact I'm not sure there is a single state who's leadership is so embrased by the fringe of the GOP than Virginia in recent years...   We knocked South Carolina and Jessie Helms and Strom Thurman right off that leadership position.

As for Democrats I think our Dems, which tend to be more conservative than most Democratic voters are exactly the kinds of sucessful candidates that have come out of the DNC for the last 50 years since we last elected a "Liberal"  President Johnson to office.....  

Jimmy Carter  -  southern conservative evangelical from Georgia

Bill Clinton -  southern moderate pragmatist right leanding with no real political core beliefs.

Obama -  another pragmatic right leaning moderate....

I think Warner or Tim Kaine would be right in that mix....   Hell former Democratic senator Jim Webb would be further to the right probable than any of those other moderate conservatives which have come out of the Democrat nomination process.    What makes Virginia's Democrats famous is we are typically the favorite democrat candidates as judged by the opposition Party...  That was Chuck Robb's claim to fame......   before the sex scandal.

Mark Warner was a fantastic gov. FANTASTIC. He squandered all of his political capital as a Sen by kowtowing to the Dem line and refusing to be bipartisan, which is what made him a fantastic gov. He is literally a mouthpiece for the Dem party now.

Mark Warner is an intelligent competent guy....   but he has the charisma of a stone.   He won the governorship because he's filthy rich and frankly outspent his opposition.   He turned out to be a fantastic governor.    But he's seriously out of his depbth in trying to appeal to a national audience.   Saddly intelligence and competence aren't the only or most important requirements for a Presidential Candidate.   You have to have a presence and charisma;  folks have to like you.

Christi ( sic  )   is a very impresive charasmatic public speaker...   I think he would eat Hillary alive..  He would eat Mark Warner alive..     You know why Mitt Romney lost against a fatally flawed Democrat who had the highest unemployment levels of any president since probable Hoover?   Because for a large segment of the population Romney wasn't even a viable choice because Romney was forced to run as a severe fringe right wing whackadoodle....   If Christie can avoid drag of a party which demands he self destruct before the general... He's got a very good shot.   Only no GOP candidate since Ronald Reagan has resisted this GOP fasination with fratricide.

I got Virginia with 8 and Ohio with 7. 

I wonder which forgetable Ohio President you forgot.   a few were best known for incompence or corruption, and a few others got assassinated early in their term; and at least one is better known as a chief justice of the supreme court.   Maybe you counted the Harrison boys (William, and Benjamin)as only one guy?

1. (1)William Henry Harrison was our 9th president and was in office from March 4-April 4, 1841.
  2. (2)Ulysses Simpson Grant served as our 18th president and served a full two terms from March 4, 1869 to March 3, 1877.
  3. (3)Rutherford Birchard Hayes followed Grant by serving one term as our 19th president from March 4, 1877 to March 3, 1881.
  4. (4)James Abram Garfield was assassinated shortly after beginning his term as 20th president. He died in office on September 19, 1881.
  5. (5)Benjamin Harrison was born and educated in Ohio but Indiana lays claim to him as well. As America's 23rd president he served from March 4, 1889 to March 3, 1893.
  6. (6)William McKinley was assassinated in office. He was the 25th president from March 4, 1897 to September 14, 1901.
  7. (7)William Howard Taft was the only president to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Taft was our 27th president from March 4, 1909 to March 3, 1913.
  8. (8)Warren Gamaliel Harding was born in Marion and served as our 29th president from March 4, 1921 until he died in office on August 2, 1923.

Actually looks like you are right...  William Henry Harison was congressmen and senator from Ohio

but he was born in Virginia so we get to claim hiim....    Va 8....  Ohio 7.....  Denis Kucinich could change that though..

For the record, I'm a native Virginian, but you sorta missed my point.  I live in California now, and Californians don't just assume that their politicians naturally must be everyone else's first choice to join a national ticket, even when they like those politicians.  I lived in Illinois and Michigan, and people there don't think that way either.  Nor do Marylanders or Floridians or Ohioans or even New Yorkers and Texans.

It is a uniquely Virginian phenomenon, as far as I can see.   And it really has very little to do with the fact that William Henry Harrison was born in Virginia in the 1790s, or with the fact that Tim Keane was the chairman of the DNC.  

Mark Warner may be competent and popular in Virginia, but the people of Bismark North Dakota are not pining for him.

For the record, I'm a native Virginian, but you sorta missed my point.  I live in California now, and Californians don't just assume that their politicians naturally must be everyone else's first choice to join a national ticket, even when they like those politicians.  I lived in Illinois and Michigan, and people there don't think that way either.  Nor do Marylanders or Floridians or Ohioans or even New Yorkers and Texans.

It is a uniquely Virginian phenomenon, as far as I can see.   And it really has very little to do with the fact that William Henry Harrison was born in Virginia in the 1790s, or with the fact that Tim Keane was the chairman of the DNC.  

Mark Warner may be competent and popular in Virginia, but the people of Bismark North Dakota are not pining for him.

Look, man, when JMS is on a wikipedia roll, you just let him roll. It's all good, baby.

I have no idea what this thread is even about any longer. I feel like we can talk about anything in here now.

Look, man, when JMS is on a wikipedia roll, you just let him roll. It's all good, baby.

I have no idea what this thread is even about any longer. I feel like we can talk about anything in here now.

I come to bury Ken Cuccinelli, not to praise him.  The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones; So let it be with Cuccinelli.

The most politically active Virginia Republicans have been trying to shoot themselves in the foot for decades now.

I remember when I was in college, one of my friends was one of the delegates to the caucuses choosing the nominee for senator. This was 1994.

In a year when backlash for Clinton ensured that my dog could have beaten Thomas Jefferson if he had a (D) next to his name (and not even my smart dog... the one that falls for the "fake throw" every time) , they nominated Oliver North.

At the time, I was a Republican myself, and I told her she was crazy. She insisted that "Colonel North" was a hero, etc., etc.

Of course he lost, and the power of the incumbency has more or less ensured that seat is still Democratic.

Just the other day I was wondering if this particular self-destruction ultimately led to the Affordable Care Act being passed, since even one more Republican to fillibuster would have stopped it.

So the only link were the ones in the excerpt, but I clicked it and it indicated that PAC gave Sarvis $11k. Hardly funding a campaign for him.

My bad. Link now added. Relatively small amount of money, apparently for a specific mailer.

And, you're right, the amount isn't that significant, which is probalby why this is written today instead of a week ago. Good catch.

To revisit this topic, it looks like the Dem bundler's donation was more significant in dollars and influence then the report on the day of the election noted.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/363455/cuccinellis-two-opponents-john-fund

A few hours before the polls opened, we learned that a major Obama campaign bundler from Texas provided the key funding that got Sarvis on the ballot in the first place. The head of the libertarian political-action committee responsible for the effort admitted to Breitbart News that “we probably wouldn’t have spent” the money to secure ballot access for Sarvis if it had not been for a mysterious $150,000 donation received from Texas billionaire and Democratic contributor Joseph Liemandt

More at link...

Pointing out that you haven't disputed the original point.

Billionaire gave $150k to a PAC. (Which still seems like small money for politicians, now days. Don't we have people donating $10M a pop, now days?)

PAC gave $11K to Sarvis.

(And I love the way it's a "mysterious" donation.)

Nah.  That's what they say they will threaten to do, but in reality, they will all go in the booth and pull the GOP lever, just like they have always done.   They will rationalize it bay saying that they had to vote AGAINST Hillary.

As someone with TEA Party family members, I will confirm this. Those folks couldn't stand the Romney nomination because

1.) They considered him a RINO

2.) He's a Mormon 

But, they held their noses and voted for him anyway because he was running against Obama. 

TEA Partiers will fall in line whoever the GOP nominates in '16, either because he/she is one of their guys/gals or out of spite of the Democratic Party. 

As I said during the election: if the GOP was really serious about challenging the President, they would have nominated Jon Huntsman. Despite looking eerily like Colin Cowherd, he was the most electable nominee of the bunch and had inside info of the Obama Administration and China. 

Ignoring him was one of the dumbest things the Republicans did in '12, and that's saying something. 

Archived