Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Aldrick Really Catch It?

ballin2041

There is no anti-Redskin conspiracy. Bad teams always complain about officiating because...

1. They're bad teams which means they naturally commit more penalties. Bad linemen will hold more, bad DBs will pass interfere more, etc.

2. Bad teams play in closer games, where 1 or 2 close calls make a bigger difference. Good teams win by enough of a margin to where they aren't really vulnerable.

Take a look at the post I made no.63 above. If the runner has established possession in the field of play then all you need to do is break the plane with the ball in possession and its a TD. However if you are making a catch and falling into the end zone you only have possession when the catch is complete which is after you are down. You have to maintain possession and show control right through that process and the ground CAN cause loss of possession.

Thanks for clarifying. My laptop lives another week.

I am a bit surprised they overturned it.

Its clear his hand is under the ball. Yes the ball wiggled but that is what happens when a grown man at 20mph falls on the ball with it in his hand. Could he not have moved his hand a little bit, with the ball in it? If you cant see the hand, how do you know the hand didn't have it secured the entire time?

At the first chance to see the hand that was under the ball, he has the ball; seen has he turns over.

I would say that was inconclusive because you could not see his hand.

If the ball was not in his hand, it should have squirted out, no?

#Homer

Usually when a team gets hosed on a particular call, especially one that could have changed the game's final outcome - the Head Coach of said team would be pretty upset.

Mike Shanahan's answer to the call was this -  

""My understanding of the rule is you have to have ball security all the way through the catch and it looked to me like the ball did hit the ground, so I'm not surprised that it was overturned."

When the Head Coach of an 0-3 team looking for any answers admits that the call was correct then that is a pretty good indication.

From Boswell's chat on the WP today also -  One prominent Skin, asked how much that TD would have changed the game said,

"Well, (XXXX), yeah, IF he'd caught it."

And the bigger issue is that the Skins were in that position in the first place.  Being unable to come out strong and control the game in a must win situation, at home and against an average team shows there is far more wrong with this team than some imagined conspiracy by the refs...

Thanks for clarifying. My laptop lives another week.

I am a bit surprised they overturned it.

Its clear his hand is under the ball. Yes the ball wiggled but that is what happens when a grown man at 20mph falls on the ball with it in his hand. Could he not have moved his hand a little bit, with the ball in it? If you cant see the hand, how do you know the hand didn't have it secured the entire time?

At the first chance to see the hand that was under the ball, he has the ball; seen has he turns over.

I would say that was inconclusive because you could not see his hand.

If the ball was not in his hand, it should have squirted out, no?

#Homer

Looking at that gif posted above, his right hand is around the ball and once he hits the ground his right hand slides under his body and ends up not even touching the ball, but tucked away under his left arm between the ball and his chest. Based on that, it's clear to see why the ref thought overturned the call. 

Unless Robinson has a ridiculously strong left hand...

scary-movie-meme-generator-let-me-get-th

After watching the replays ..man was that a heart breaker he was running full speed and when he went down I noticed his facmask aided in pushing the ball towards the ground and I do still think his hand stayed under the ball but the top corner of the ball touched the ground...heartbreaker

If this play did not occur in the end zone, it would have been considered a drop because he allowed the football to touch the ground to aid him with the catch.

However,  he had the ball secured in his hands,  not moving as he crossed the goal line.  The ball was still in the air at this point and it was secured.  Once you cross the goal line with the football under control,  it is supposed to be considered a touchdown,  regardless what happens afterwards in the end zone.   If he had bobbled the ball before crossing the goal line,  and then lost it the way he did, that's an incomplete pass.  That is not what happened on this play, therefore I believe we were robbed of a touchdown. 

My thoughts exactly.

It was drop, no going around the bush about it.  Ugh...to me, that was the game.  The defense, as bad as they were playing, would have fed of the energy from the crowd and probably played better.  Instead, he dropped the perfect deep pass, and Megatron destroyed us.  That was the one play that really changed the momentum of the game, and maybe the season, imo.

Bottom line is if Robinson wants a place in this league, that is a ball he has to catch and leave no doubts about. He does one thing well, blow the top off defenses.

If he cant even catch perfect, unopposed, on a rope spirals from 60 yards away, there is no reason for him to be around. 

I see your point. I really want Robinson to work out here though. He gets himself open well so I hope he puts it all together. That element to our passing game will certainly help open up other options.

You're right though, when we have any of our WRs in single coverage like that, we have to make the plays.

It was drop, no going around the bush about it.  Ugh...to me, that was the game.  The defense, as bad as they were playing, would have fed of the energy from the crowd and probably played better.  Instead, he dropped the perfect deep pass, and Megatron destroyed us.  That was the one play that really changed the momentum of the game, and maybe the season, imo.

And even if the defense allows the Lions to score, we have the ball only down 3 with plenty of time to get into field goal range. The promising thing about yesterday's second half was that Detroit rarely stopped us. Between the fumble and the dropped TD to go along with our FG drives, we probably only punted once or twice. I think we would have been well-positioned to force OT or win the game outright on our final possession.

I see your point. I really want Robinson to work out here though. He gets himself open well so I hope he puts it all together. That element to our passing game will certainly help open up other options.

You're right though, when we have any of our WRs in single coverage like that, we have to make the plays.

And even if the defense allows the Lions to score, we have the ball only down 3 with plenty of time to get into field goal range. The promising thing about yesterday's second half was that Detroit rarely stopped us. Between the fumble and the dropped TD to go along with our FG drives, we probably only punted once or twice. I think we would have been well-positioned to force OT or win the game outright on our final possession.

Out of likes but wanted to say I agree with all of this. 

First off, I just want to say that I agree what the officials rule is final... no if, ands or buts. Sure, at times they can get it wrong, but they're the cops on the field and that's just the way it is. They simply don't have time to review and then go to Twitter for further opinions. That being said, I would like to ask you about this because I simply don't know. If that was a run play, it would look to me like a TD (ball crossing the plain). But I don't know the specifics of the pass. It looks to me that it wasn't Hochuli that reviewed it wrong (or right depending on your view), because he was looking to overturn or not the decision made by the other officials who called it a TD. What gets me is... did the other officials get it wrong by calling it a TD, when it looks to me that it should have been... Redskins - 1st and goal at the 1 (or inches away from the line)? Possession, knee (on the ground), and contact (while still possessing the ball):

ripoff.gif

(sorry for the pixalation)

Bottom line is if Robinson wants a place in this league, that is a ball he has to catch and leave no doubts about. He does one thing well, blow the top off defenses.

If he cant even catch perfect, unopposed, on a rope spirals from 60 yards away, there is no reason for him to be around. 

straight up man.

He's as one dimensional as any one so he can't **** up that one dimension lol

When I saw the replay I thought not catch because all I was looking at was whether the ball moved.

Here is what I wish I would have been looking at:  Was a the "catch" established before crossing the goal line? If so, then couldn't that be ruled a fumble in the endzone and recovery by Aldrick?

Did Aldrick secure the ball and take two steps before crossing the goal line? Or did he catch it and fall into the endzone?

I can't remember.

There's really no such thing as a fumble in the end zone (obviously different if going the other way).

The rule is stupid, I've hated it since I first saw it in action. None of that means we got hosed. The call was right those are the rules we play by, just they need to be changed at some point.

There is no anti-Redskin conspiracy. Bad teams always complain about officiating because...

1. They're bad teams which means they naturally commit more penalties. Bad linemen will hold more, bad DBs will pass interfere more, etc.

2. Bad teams play in closer games, where 1 or 2 close calls make a bigger difference. Good teams win by enough of a margin to where they aren't really vulnerable.

I've considered Ed Hochuli anti-Redskins since Gibbs 1 so it's not just about bad teams

Watching yesterday's game reminds me of how much I want the bye week to come. If there is any hope left for this season, they have to win at Oakland convincingly. Then go to the much needed bye week and work out whatever is needed to get the team, specially the defense, proper preparation for the brutal 1st place schedule they will have to face.

The bottom line is that Hochuli claimed that the ball rolled when it hit the ground, when there is no evidence that it actually rolled.

Why is that important?  Because the ball is allowed to hit the ground during a catch as long as it remains in the control of the receiver.  If the ball was sliding along the ground, rather than rolling, then physics would indicate that there was an equal and opposite force preventing the ball from rolling.  This force was likely provided by the left hand of Robinson, which by all appearances remained on the ball throughout the catch.  If the grip provided from Robinson's left hand was enough to prevent the ball from rolling, then it's pretty obvious that he had full control of the ball and it was therefore a catch.

Blown call.

Guys, is the tables were turned and that was a Lion "catching" that ball we would all be screaming it was no catch.

I am about as homer as a fan can get and the second I saw it I knew it was no catch.  Last year the grounds at FedEx killed RG3's knee and this year the ground at FedEx may have killed our season.  Maybe there is an ancient Redskin burial ground under there?

Archived