Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Aldrick Really Catch It?

ballin2041

I was busy when that play happened. I saw the play but was kinda down the hallway when they disputed it and showed the replays. I was upset that he didnt deliver but I figured it was the right call because everyone in my house and on the TV seemed to agree that it hit the ground.

Then I was watching the post game show where they interviewed Aldrick and he says that he knows he caught it. He said his left hand was under it the whole time but the only view of the replay was from the right side so it looks like its rolling around.

He didnt seem all crazy about it and the whole CSN crew seemed like they thought he dropped it so I just thought Aldrick was being an idiot who didnt want to own up to dropping the ball. Since then Ive watched a few highlight shows and they all talk about the drop and agree that he dropped it but I still had never seen it.

Then just now was the 1st time I watched it all the way. Live and in slo motion. The ball is definitely on the ground and its moving because his momnetum is moving but Im actually starting to think that he's telling the truth. When he finally comes to, his left hand is under the ball and it doesnt look like he scrambled to put it under there but that it was there from the jump and never moved.

It looked like he had a very firm grip. The ball hits the ground but his hand is under it which is why the rule was changed in the 1st place back when TB lost in the playoffs when there WR cleary had control of the ball but it was ruled incomplete because the ball touched the ground which means automatically incomplete. That offseason they changed it to say some parts of the ball may touch the ground but if you have a firm grasp on it then its still a catch.

From watching it, I beleive him. It moves alot but his hand looks like it was sturdy. Again, I dont think the ball ever moved or shifted. Its just that there whole body & momentum were still moving so it makes it look that way. If I was the ref then thats one of those calls where it should stay with the original because there was nothing 100% to where you could overturn it. If they had ruled it incomplete then let it stand but if they ruled it complete then that should also stand. Does anyone have a gif and has anyone watched it back after what Aldrick said? Did any of you "possibly" now think it was a catch?

at first replay look, i thought it was loose, but when they kept showing it, he did appear to have his one hand under it the entire time. 

i kept hearing everyone (ad hocule) on TV saying the ball 'rolled'- it never did roll. 

i was kind of surprised they overturned it, because her certainly did have his hand under it. shame. 

If the ball is on the ground and it's moving, it's incomplete regardless of where his left hand is. 

But the ruling on the field was CATCH. I don't think there was enough to overturn the call. 

but my point is did the ball move or did his body/hand move? Im starting to think the ball never moved. It was just there montemum from sliding but his hand was always firmly under it and the ball was stiff

It may not have been a catch, and if that had been the original call I'd have been fine with it. I didn't think they had enough evidence to overturn the ruling on the field though. I was shocked when it was called back.

With the way the officials called the entire game, I wouldn't have been surprised if they awarded the Lions 7 points for the drop. 

If the ball is on the ground and it's moving, it's incomplete regardless of where his left hand is. 

But the ruling on the field was CATCH. I don't think there was enough to overturn the call. 

I had the same thought. I thought if it wasn't ruled a touchdown and it was reviewed it would have not be overturned to a touchdown. However, I just didn't see enough to overturn it from a touchdown to not from the angles they had.

HTTR

The refs didn't think it was a catch after review. Mike Periera didn't think it was a catch. Mike Shanahan didn't think it was a catch. How many people need to think it wasn't a catch?

Havent you heard?   The Redskins have been terrible for the better part of 20 years now because of the refs.  Everybody knows it.

It's sad we even have to have this conversation. That's a routine catch for a WR in the NFL and there is no excuse for Aldrick to not have secured it cleanly.

Just another mistake in a season full of them.

I agree. Aldrick has all the speed in the world but it seems to me that he has trouble with the deep ball. I remember him making some great plays but I also remember him missing some deep balls he should have had.

If this play did not occur in the end zone, it would have been considered a drop because he allowed the football to touch the ground to aid him with the catch.

However,  he had the ball secured in his hands,  not moving as he crossed the goal line.  The ball was still in the air at this point and it was secured.  Once you cross the goal line with the football under control,  it is supposed to be considered a touchdown,  regardless what happens afterwards in the end zone.   If he had bobbled the ball before crossing the goal line,  and then lost it the way he did, that's an incomplete pass.  That is not what happened on this play, therefore I believe we were robbed of a touchdown. 

If this play did not occur in the end zone, it would have been considered a drop because he allowed the football to touch the ground to aid him with the catch.

i dont know anything about the second part you posted, but i thought that the ball can, in fact, make contact with the ground, as long as you have control of it (which i believe he did with a hand under the ball).

i could be wrong. wouldnt be the first time. 

The whole "process of the catch" rule is complete bull****!! At what point is it considered a football move? He caught it secured it turned upfield than crossed the plain w the ball in hands secured n not moving but once he hits the ground it shifts and is ruled incomplete???

It's sad we even have to have this conversation. That's a routine catch for a WR in the NFL and there is no excuse for Aldrick to not have secured it cleanly.

Just another mistake in a season full of them.

It's unfortunate, but we let a potentially huge play get away there. I'm not going to pretend that making that play doesn't have some level of difficulty, but this offense really needs to take advantage of opportunities.

Oddly, the two plays in today's game that proved to me that Griffin was improving ended in devastation. The throw on the Aldrick drop was beautiful and that should have been a 7-point play. Then there was Griffin's 20+ yard scramble ending in a non-contact fumble. The play he made to step up and get to the secondary was dynamic. Then he decided to avoid contact, which is great. But he couldn't hold the ball and that probably cost us 3 points. I guess I'll need to be happy with moral victories at this point!

It's unfortunate, but we let a potentially huge play get away there. I'm not going to pretend that making that play doesn't have some level of difficulty, but this offense really needs to take advantage of opportunities.

Oddly, the two plays in today's game that proved to me that Griffin was improving ended in devastation. The throw on the Aldrick drop was beautiful and that should have been a 7-point play. Then there was Griffin's 20+ yard scramble ending in a non-contact fumble. The play he made to step up and get to the secondary was dynamic. Then he decided to avoid contact, which is great. But he couldn't hold the ball and that probably cost us 3 points. I guess I'll need to be happy with moral victories at this point!

I agree. It was may not have be "easy" but something he surely should have been able to pull in if he wants a place in this league. No excuse to drop it.

But I do see the improvement in all phases of this team.

Anyway, let's hold on to those moral victories!

I thought the ball clearly moved on replay but doesn't it also have to touch the ground for it to be incomplete? Maybe I was too deflated to notice but I'm not sure there was conclusive evidence to show that the ball touched the ground. Still my first reaction after the replay was that's an incompletion.

Archived