Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Will Make The Playoffs

ballin2041

Maybe, maybe not. But you know what I find hilarious?

THE EXACT SAME THINGS WERE BEING SAID WHEN WE WERE 3-6. Shall I find some of those posts? ;)

Actually, it wasn't only being said that there's no way we'd make the playoffs, but we were already talking about Chip Kelly and an entire re-organization of the franchise. And when anyone expressed ANY semblance of optimism by, for instance, pointing to our 5 game winning streak in 2005 or the other one in 2007, they got laughed at and said "this team is awful in every way, unlike those teams". Remember, our offense was sputtering when we were 3-6 as well. Pretty much the EXACT same stuff.

Lol. Just, lol. We'll never learn. I know we're all emotional right now, and that's fine. I'll bow out now. Everyone can go back to the flipping out stuff. :)

Glad you finally figured it out  :) (you know I'm just messing)

We're still a bad team right now, no one is arguing that.That being said, did we not improve in every single facet this week compared to the last two games? I mean, honestly? Can someone argue against that?I know the improvement isn't enough to win many, if any, games in the NFL... however, we got to actually see the team improve. That's kind of a big step considering just how awful they've looked. Who is here to argue that they simply can't improve more? Didn't they just prove they're getting better, albeit slightly?

I actually think the offense took a pretty good step forward today. It was offset by some mistakes and a few drops. But they are getting much closer to being a fundamentally sound offense. I do think what is interesting is that the offense is much more traditional WCO than the Shanahans usually run. Lots of quick passes to replace the run.

But they got Griff on the move some, he ran a little bit, and the whole thing just looked more fluid. Not perfect, but better.

Question is, can they improve on that and start putting up the type of performance that we saw last year? I don't know, but there is hope.

Griff is still coming back from that knee, and missed the entire off-season. Peterson didn't have a 100 yard rushing game last year until week 6.

Maybe that's when Griff really kicks it into gear.

Let's see. And hope. If this season is a wash, but they team improves and finishes around 8-8 eventually, and they can stock up going into next year, without the cap penalty, that's something.

I guess it's the up for grabs part I disagree with. The Cowboys don't look like absolute crap, unlike the rest of the teams.

Sure it is up for grabs. The Cowboys always look decent in September. It's late November on is when they start to fall apart.

We're still in it, believe it or not. :)

We have the second worst defense by yards in NFL History!  Right now, we are not a playoff team.  We're not even a bad team!  And to top it off we got screwed several times this game by the refs.

Burgy, but remember last year? There was a point earlier in the season where we were on pass to surrender the most yards (or pass yards) in NFL history.

We avoided that and got it together.  I think Haslett is a bad coordinator but there is a shot we can turn it around.  Amerson had a much better game but blew a decisive play on third down, I believe.  He had two knockdowns that actually could have been picked, he had great position and really just focused too much on batting the ball instead of picking it off.  

OK, I guess it's another showdown with Dallas after the bye. They play at San Diego (hey, it's possible) next week, and then back home against the Broncos during our bye. We beat the Raiders, and then hopefully Dallas (after the bye) and we're 2-3 to their 2-4 (assuming all goes well). The Eagles have the Broncos and Giants next (have fun Mr. Chips). 

As far as the playoffs are concerned, well, it could be an up and down, week to week kind of thing this year in the NFCE so who really knows which horses are going to pour it on towards the finish. It COULD be us... EVEN with those bad odds for teams that start out 0-3.

A lot of people are reading too much into the 0-3 thing.  For one, the new format hasn't existed THAT long, so having 3 of those occurrences happen in our era is not awful odds.  Two, even really bad teams often do not start 0-3.  Early in the season, teams are still feeling each other out, or sometimes about to experience bad breaks with injuries, and so even a good team can get surprised to start by a really terrible team.  It's later on when teams begin to separate themselves as truly bad.  Three, most teams that are bad and start bad can readily point to a weakness at QB.  That kind of problem never goes away.  If RG3 recovers himself, we won't have that same issue. Four, it's not like it only happened once, it happened five times total.  Five, how many teams went 0-3 after winning the division and arguably, with a healthy QB, being the best team in the conference?  Six, I'm still PO'd we didn't pull RG3 last year after the second TD pass.  I don't think we're sitting in this position if people just used their damn eyes.  And maybe we get a playoff win last year.  Oh yeah, and seven, most teams started 0-3 probably weren't in horrible divisions.

People, this defense is not just bad, it is HISTORICALLY BAD, as in....given up the most yards through 3 games that the only team that has given up more, is a team I have never even heard of or knew existed "The Yanks"

Wow.

We were on pace last year to be historically bad.  We finished better than that, and looked like an entirely different team (at least at points.)

i never understood where that term was coined 

Someone back in 2005 coined the term, I believe.  It was also a poster who has never (at least under that name) posted again.  It was a typo, I'm sure, but we've never NOT used that term extensively since that thread became a big hit (partly also because we did make a run that year.)

Someone back in 2005 coined the term, I believe.  It was also a poster who has never (at least under that name) posted again.  It was a typo, I'm sure, but we've never NOT used that term extensively since that thread became a big hit (partly also because we did make a run that year.)

I remember reading that thread. I figured it was just a typo, but then every year after that I kept seeing it over and over again. I thought it was an actual football term at one point lol

We're still a bad team right now, no one is arguing that.

That being said, did we not improve in every single facet this week compared to the last two games? I mean, honestly? Can someone argue against that?

I know the improvement isn't enough to win many, if any, games in the NFL... however, we got to actually see the team improve. That's kind of a big step considering just how awful they've looked. Who is here to argue that they simply can't improve more? Didn't they just prove they're getting better, albeit slightly?

Believe me as I post this. I'm not whining. In fact, I'm beyond whining.

But I have to ask. Why is it that we are always looking for this team to improve? When is it our time to be one of the better teams? When do we as fans have to stop being patient for this team to give us a consistent winner? I mean don't we get tired of hearing the same excuses year after year? Aside from wins and losses, when do they put a team on the field that we can be proud of no matter the score? I am nothing but embarrassed to say I'm a Redskins fan at this point.

This is probably a topic for another thread, but will folks really be happy with the Redskins getting a playoff berth at 8-8 or, heaven forbid, worse?

I've decried the four division per conference format for a while and don't want the Redskins to be "that" team which wins the lousy East at .500 or below and gets to host a game against a 10- or 11-win wild-card team like, say, the Saints or Falcons. What's the point of the regular season then?

Yes, I know this team rattled off seven straight last season, and I think Garcon coming back helped us a lot on that stretch. But right now this is a team that is relatively healthy but just doesn't seem to have the answers. The $18 million cap hit is being felt, and Robert is looking how we probably should've expected him to look as a pocket passser in his first season.

To say we are "easily" going to go 10-3 based on what we've seen so far is laughable. To even say that we are definitely going to beat the Raiders is laughable. Next week's game is a toss-up, IMO.

How many teams have won their division and made the playoffs after starting 3-6?  5 teams have made the playoffs starting 0-3 so we know it's possible, right?

How many of the experts saying we are finished now also said we were finished at 3-6 last year?  There are 13 games left folks.  8-8 could win this division.

You get into the dance and anything can happen. If we're 8-8 and Super Bowl champs we all could give less of a ****.

This is probably a topic for another thread, but will folks really be happy with the Redskins getting a playoff berth at 8-8 or, heaven forbid, worse?

I've decried the four division per conference format for a while and don't want the Redskins to be "that" team which wins the lousy East at .500 or below and gets to host a game against a 10- or 11-win wild-card team like, say, the Saints or Falcons. What's the point of the regular season then?

The 2011 Giants were the first team in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl with a negative point differential (minus-6, 394 points scored, 400 points allowed). With a 9–7 record, the Giants became the third NFL team to win fewer than 10 games in a 16 game season, and reach the Super Bowl.[1] but became the first of the three to win the Super Bowl. The previous teams to go 9-7 and reach the Super Bowl (the '79 Rams, whom only needed two playoff wins were the first, and the 2008 Cardinals) were both defeated by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Additionally, upon defeating the Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI the Giants became the first NFC East Division champion to win the Super Bowl since the Dallas Cowboys in 1995 (the Giants were a Wild Card team when they won Super Bowl XLII).

I would have agreed with the post if it wasn't for every team we have lost to are in the NFC and the way the NFC is looking right now the whole conference sucks.  There is only 1 div with 2 teams with a winning record and we lost 2 games to them GB and DET.  So only way skins get in is division and as much as I hate to say it think this is DAL year.  Damn life sucks right now

Archived