Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Would love to see GMBM go "all in" and put out an offer sheet to PK Subban.

Why? We already have more puck movers than we can shake a stick at. He's basically Mike Green, and what we need isn't another Green, but rather a defensive-minded stay-at-home complement to Green to round out our top 4. Going after Subban, in my opinion, would be a mis-allocation of cap space and assets. If you want to go all in, do it on a shut-down defender.

Why? We already have more puck movers than we can shake a stick at. He's basically Mike Green, and what we need isn't another Green, but rather a defensive-minded stay-at-home complement to Green to round out our top 4. Going after Subban, in my opinion, would be a mis-allocation of cap space and assets. If you want to go all in, do it on a shut-down defender.

I agree.

PK Subban is not a huge improvement over Mike Green. PK's Norris season was basically the same as what should have been Green's Norris season. Plus, PK has already shown that he will be a holdout malcontent if need be. Green's worst attribute is his inability to stay healthy enough long enough to stop shying away from hits.

I still say that was more incidental than not.

Unfortunately that was the likely end of Ovie's career as a hard hitting finesse forward.

So the deadline for compliance buyouts is 6/30.  I know McLellan already said he wasn't planning on amnestying Laich, but I guess now it's all but official (unless something changes over the next 4 days).

Maybe management (who has more info than we do) feels strongly that Laich can come back 100%?  Or could this have something to do with a reluctance to pay a player to walk away (which I remember Ted saying he was loathe to do after the Jagr mess)?

So the deadline for compliance buyouts is 6/30.  I know McLellan already said he wasn't planning on amnestying Laich, but I guess now it's all but official (unless something changes over the next 4 days).

Maybe management (who has more info than we do) feels strongly that Laich can come back 100%?  Or could this have something to do with a reluctance to pay a player to walk away (which I remember Ted saying he was loathe to do after the Jagr mess)?

Please... that boy is getting softer by the day.

Have you seen some of his tweets?  I think I saw his balls in a cookie jar on top of Juliane Hough's fridge.  You think he still has what it takes to get down low in the crease (so to speak?) and put one in the net?

For me he hasn't for years.

Would love to see GMBM go "all in" and put out an offer sheet to PK Subban. 

If we go "all in" for a defensemen would love Tyler Moore.

Any wild predictions on trades tonight fellas?

KDawg, I know you lurk in here from time to time you western New York wing eating Sabre lover... have a good draft tonight and tomorrow, buddy.

It really is amazing to me that resigning Grabovski is such a low priority for the Capitals according to the Post. It's even more alarming that it's because they feel they have good in-house options. If they don't resign Grabo nor bring in any other FA centers, this team will have a top-10 pick in next years draft.

Not a lot of talent left of guys who will or should contribute this season. 

Unfortunately this draft is weak for defensemen.  Would be interesting to see if GMBM gets creative off the bat here.

Any wild predictions on trades tonight fellas?

KDawg, I know you lurk in here from time to time you western New York wing eating Sabre lover... have a good draft tonight and tomorrow, buddy.

Thanks brother! Very happy with our selection. My Celtics and the Sabres both seem to have bright futures.

Ugh... now we go off script.  Wanted Fleury. 

Thanks brother! Very happy with our selection. My Celtics and the Sabres both seem to have bright futures.

Love the new GM.  A man of few words. :lol:

Caps drafted a Czech winger at 13.

HF is melting down.

Another "could be" guy.  Burakovsky panned out well.  So we'll see.

NBCSN was being very nice to George McPhee and very positive to this pick. 

We were the first team to reach big time, though.  BIG TIME.

Not sure if Pierre Maguire was trolling with the "The Connor Carrick pick was outstanding" comment or not.

I just sipped my jack and sprite and stared at the tv screen... waiting to see if it would stare back or just keep spewing bull ****.

I would have preferred a big, strong playmaking center but I have no idea if that type of guy was there. Hopefully this guy pans out. I've never seen him play.

It was a winger deep draft. 

I'm hoping we are posturing with Grabo.... I don't think Kuzya is going to be ready to be a 2C next year.

We have 3Cs and 4Cs for days... but we need Grabo as a 2C.  Kuzya can fill in if there is an injury. 

Maybe this guy works out, but the Caps need to build down the center. I didn't have a chance to listen to the draft too much, but I think it was the Calgary GM who mentioned that being strong down the middle is what wins the Stanley Cup these days. That seems lost on the entire Capitals organization.

Lastly, maybe Kuznetsov can move to center, but I'd rather be drafting guys that have been playing center given the defensive responsibilities they need to know.

Maybe this guy works out, but the Caps need to build down the center. I didn't have a chance to listen to the draft too much, but I think it was the Calgary GM who mentioned that being strong down the middle is what wins the Stanley Cup these days. That seems lost on the entire Capitals organization.

There wasn't a Center there to be had.

This is like guys complaining that the Skins didn't go after a right tackle when we drafted Cousins...

You could also end up like Edmonton... lots of Centers.

I think the plan is to keep 19 up top and then have 92 on the 2nd line.  I hope that's not the plan, but if we don't re-sign Grabo it would have to be 92 (it better not be 21... I'll put it that way).  Laich, Latta, Beagle, Mojo all 3rd or 4th line Centers.  None are 2Cs.

I think Kuzya has the potential to be but that's an awful lot to ask a kid to do in his first full season.  Who knows, though... get him a weapon and he might surprise you.

As far as organizational depth goes, we don't have a ton of Centers in the wings... but we also don't have a ton of quality wingers either.

Galiev should be coming up this year, not sure what Burakovsky's status is... Chris Brown is down in Hershey and that's about it.

We need help everywhere.

Archived