Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

I would like to see the details of the contract.

I don't know if there is an out after two years or what. 

Plus, we can buy him out after a year or two if he sucks.

So I am more optimistic this morning.  Trotz works wonders with defenders.  Suter looked just okay when he left Nashville and went to Minny... so we will see.

According to GMBM, Brooks Orpik was the number one target from the get go and it seems they didn't really consider much else.

“The total dollars were centered around Brooks,” MacLellan said. “We needed to get him in first because we thought that was our greatest need. We tried to get him to stay as low as possible. We struggled with that fifth year for a while, then we just felt we had to go there because it was getting so competitive on him.”

More at link.

Oh, GMDA (dumb ***) laid at least the Niskenan contract right on the new assistant coach in the event it goes bad.

Sleeping on it did nothing to change my mind about the idiocy of these contracts.

Money aside, does anyone feel better knowing that our longest running weakness (defense) is now, at least on paper, MUCH better? 

You can't do anything about Orpik's contract in the long term, short term, his presence (as well as Niskanen's) will make this team stronger on the backend. 

I don't like the money, but I have no issue with the players brought in...for now.  Just have to hope that these gambles pay off. 

No I don't feel good because we still have holes around the rest of the roster.  A glaring one is 2C.  There's no way we can keep Green with these deals.

Just hope we can flip green for a 2C. 

If any of these 3 are traded (or bought out), i'd be happy...Brouwer, Green, Laich. 

I slept on it, and I am barely OK with it. Orpik will provide a good anchor to Green (assuming h'es here) or Carlson. I think Niksanen and Orlov will be a very good pairing. That leaves Alzner opposite Green or Carlson. 

As far as 2C goes, maybe we finally see MoJo live up to his potential and play behind Nick. Kuznetsov has the playmaking ability to play center, but not sure he is there defensively yet. Laic cannot be our 2C. No way, no how. If he is healthy, and that is a huge if, he needs to be playing opposite Ovie.

21-19-8

92-90-20

25-16-42

46-83-43

27-74

44-52

81-2

That lineup, with Trotz' commitment to playing "the right way" should be up there competing for the division.  I don't think the emphasis of D and tender in Trotz' system can be overstated.

Thats a lot of $ spent on two decent but not great players. I guess the FO still thinks this team is capable of winning now and wants veterans in the back end to try to win a Cup while Ovie is still in his prime.

If they want to win we need to be getting rid of green, brouwer, or laich in a good trade then.

Thats a lot of $ spent on two decent but not great players. I guess the FO still thinks this team is capable of winning now and wants veterans in the back end to try to win a Cup while Ovie is still in his prime.

I don't like the signings, but I'm happy management is actually trying to do something before this team's window completely closes.  And the only alternative to overpaying for a good free agent d-man is to trade a bunch of prospects and picks for a good d-man locked into a manageable contract, because nobody is going to give us one for Laich and Brouwer.

One positive thing about the Orpik deal is that we won't see any recapture penalties if he retires.  If he plays two seasons, slows down considerably, and calls it quits, the Caps will be free from the contract.  Although it may be unlikely that he just walks away from the final $15.5M dollars.  

MacLellan singled out conditioning and off-ice work ethic during the his initial press conference.  Orpik has been well known as a guy who works EXCEPTIONALLY hard off the ice, and is a vocal leader.  I think it's pretty clear that the though Orpik was a player capable of spearheading a culture change in the organization, particularly amount the blueliners.  

That said, Orpik's contract is stupid expensive. Ehrhoff, Stralman, Fayne, and Gilbert are all younger, with few injuries, better recent stats (advanced and otherwise), and projected to be better for longer.  Each one of those guys signed for less money and term than Orpik.  Orpik's contract would make him the highest paid defender on 16 teams and he's certainly not a #1D at this point in his career.

That said, Orpik's contract is stupid expensive. Ehrhoff, Stralman, Fayne, and Gilbert are all younger, with few injuries, better recent stats (advanced and otherwise), and projected to be better for longer.  Each one of those guys signed for less money and term than Orpik.  Orpik's contract would make him the highest paid defender on 16 teams and he's certainly not a #1D at this point in his career.

I get the rub they were a packaged deal or we got neither. 

That's why I want to see the contract for Orpik.  Surely we can't be that stupid.

Grabovski is a huge loss for the Caps. There simply isn't a replacement and if anything happens to Backstrom during the season, this team will really struggle to score. The Caps second line was non-existent when Grabs was hurt. I would much rather have Grabs at 4 years $20 million than Orpik at 5 years $27.5 million.

You must be new here. Hi I'm Richmond Redskin.

This is clearly a different kind of move.  We've made bad trades and bad signings, but we haven't pulled an outright Vinny in over a decade.

This is clearly a different kind of move.  We've made bad trades and bad signings, but we haven't pulled an outright Vinny in over a decade.

It really is a stupidifying strategy. They locked in on an older defenseman who is trending down and paid him like he will be in the top pairing for more than a year.

Do the Caps have any center prospects? They are paying the price for former GMGM trading all the center prospects the last three years.

Archived