Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Give GMBM a chance.  Some of yall are a little impatient.  As it's been pointed out, it's not even July 1.  If things are for the most part status quo by the time August rolls around, then yea...get pissed.  Dude has only had the job for about a month now. 

Can you explain to me why we drafted Nate Walker (the Aussie)?  He was bomb in pre-season last year and then I don't remember us even sending him to Hershey (initially).  Now all of a sudden we are drafting him?

What's up with that?  Or did I totally miss something?

I don't understand why we couldn't call him up if he was at Hershey and he could've made the team last year (I remember, I think at the begining of this thread I said "why not him").

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/06/28/capitals-draft-nathan-walker-with-89th-overall-pick-in-the-2014-nhl-draft/

Can you explain to me why we drafted Nate Walker (the Aussie)?  He was bomb in pre-season last year and then I don't remember us even sending him to Hershey (initially).  Now all of a sudden we are drafting him?

What's up with that?  Or did I totally miss something?

I don't understand why we couldn't call him up if he was at Hershey and he could've made the team last year (I remember, I think at the begining of this thread I said "why not him").

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/06/28/capitals-draft-nathan-walker-with-89th-overall-pick-in-the-2014-nhl-draft/

Because despite going undrafted last year, he still had draft eligibility this year, thus he could not be signed to an NHL contract. Instead, our farm team in Hershey signed him to an AHL contract.

This team can't miss the playoffs again

Trotz is too good

If they do write it off as an adjustment year.

"you don't even know what a write off is "

" do you? "

If Brooks Laich is the starting 2C and MoJo is still in the top-6, they could easily miss the playoffs.

Apparently the Ducks aren't extending a qualifying offer to Perreault (though still offering a contract), so if he doesn't take it, he'll be a UFA. I certainly wouldn't mind having him back to give us some center depth, and if we don't manage to get another center in FA, I think he's an adequate 2C with his agility and passing ability. I thought he did pretty good things when given actual talent to center, like when he started playing with Semin (and Semin's numbers improved when he started playing with Matty P), so I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do if he played with perhaps Kuznetsov and Wilson.

Would also not mind getting Grabo and either Niskanen or Orpik. That would actually make me pretty excited.[/size]

I suspect Grabo is gonna look for a nice fat contract, else we probably would have signed him already. As for Orpik, Penguins fans can't seem to kick him out the door fast enough saying he's too slow and is basically a pylon on the ice that'll get beaten by speed every time. And Niskanen, problem I have with him is that he's yet another puck-moving defenseman of which we have too many, and one whom I think will wind up with a large contract that we'd have to hope he grows into.

The Defenseman market seems pretty tough this off-season. I'd like to see if we could manage to swing a trade of Troy Brouwer for Josh Gorges.

edit: almost forgot, on the Center front, Mike Ribiero is being bought out.

He's being bought because he was once again being a clown behind the scenes

I'd rather we stay away

I'd consider bringing him on with a one year contract like we gave Grabovski last season. If nothing else, it gives us a little more time to find/develop a 2C. And at least this time, we won't have to give up a pick and a center prospect to bring him in.

I'd consider bringing him on with a one year contract like we gave Grabovski last season. If nothing else, it gives us a little more time to find/develop a 2C. And at least this time, we won't have to give up a pick and a center prospect to bring him in.

He AND his wife gave us the finger on the way out.

It's been real Ribeiros... all of you.

Would rather go with Frenchy at 2C than deal with Ribeiro this time next year.... not to mention is unprovoked dumbassery during the season.

I suspect Grabo is gonna look for a nice fat contract, else we probably would have signed him already. As for Orpik, Penguins fans can't seem to kick him out the door fast enough saying he's too slow and is basically a pylon on the ice that'll get beaten by speed every time. And Niskanen, problem I have with him is that he's yet another puck-moving defenseman of which we have too many, and one whom I think will wind up with a large contract that we'd have to hope he grows into.

The Defenseman market seems pretty tough this off-season. I'd like to see if we could manage to swing a trade of Troy Brouwer for Josh Gorges.

edit: almost forgot, on the Center front, Mike Ribiero is being bought out.

Yeah, we played the same game with Grabo last year.  We'll see if he gets paid or not.

I would also give Antropov a call if he is still over in the KHL.  He'd be a solid 3 and a decent 2 for a heavy game.

I'm all for trading Brouwer, too.

Yeah, I've heard plusses and minuses on both Niskanen and Orpik.  Would obviously rather have Niskanen because he's younger, but we need someone.  And both are upgrades.

He's being bought because he was once again being a clown behind the scenes

I'd rather we stay away

Out of likes, but worth repeating.  No thanks, no time. :lol:

He AND his wife gave us the finger on the way out.

It's been real Ribeiros... all of you.

Would rather go with Frenchy at 2C than deal with Ribeiro this time next year.... not to mention is unprovoked dumbassery during the season.

I agree that Ribeiros talent (which seems to be in decline, granted Phoenix didn't surround him with the skill he played with in DC) doesn't offset the fact he is a total dipsh*t.  The Caps already seem "weak" and usually always fall flat during gut-check time.  In that case, a selfish jerkoff like Ribeiro is the LAST guy you want stinking up your locker room.

Orpik to DC...

Details on the contract?

I see they signed Justin Peters to be the back up goalie. The good thing about this signing that I give GMBM credit for is that there is no chance Peters challenges to be the number 1 goalie ever. He is purely a back up.

Ok that's alright but we need another defensemen.  Orpik isn't enough to sure up our D.

Hopefully nothing more than a 2 year deal for Orpik since he is 34 now.

Someone tell me something about the guy. Is he a stay at home defender? What pairing did he play with the Pens?

Hopefully nothing more than a 2 year deal for Orpik since he is 34 now.

Someone tell me something about the guy. Is he a stay at home defender? What pairing did he play with the Pens?

He's the kind that will knock you out in the neutral zone sometimes.  Tough hard nose. 

Archived