Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

I really didn't follow this draft so I don't have a problem with the pick on it's own. My own problem is the lack of organizational concern with the lack of center depth. I bet right now the Laich is being penciled in at the 2C.

I don't think winger depth is a problem at the moment compared to C or D. As far as D goes, I want to see what Trotz can do with some of the current group. I'm not saying don't add to the defensive core, but if the team had centers that did a better job of puck possession and the team kept the puck in the offensive zone more, it would take pressure of the D and Holtby.

This will be an interesting week to see if the roster is going to change at all for next season.

With Grabovski most likely gone at this point, I'm numb to everything Caps. That team just depresses me at this point.

Everything went downhill so fast....

Another 3-4 year away winger....yay. Meanwhile the Ducks trade for Kesler and get better.

Not to say that we could have realistically had enough to pull that off but We never make moves like that or ever rumored to be. It's annoying. But then they'll try to sell you on how much a healthy Laich can help.

Yeah no...

Not to say that we could have realistically had enough to pull that off but We never make moves like that or ever rumored to be. It's annoying. But then they'll try to sell you on how much a healthy Laich can help.

Yeah no...

I am really HOPING that we are posturing with Grabo.

I was so fired up after the Trotz hire... and then we promoted GMBM from within.... and I got this sick to my stomach feeling. 

I have a feeling we're going to look back on this and spend the rest of our lives debating on how we ****ed up 10 plus seasons with the best goal scorer of our generation.

So according to BMGM, if the Caps don't sign Grabovski they are going with in house candidates Kuvnetsov, Laich or MoJo. **** Leonsis. Did they not see how bad the 2nd line was after Grabs got hurt? They produced nothing.  

So according to BMGM, if the Caps don't sign Grabovski they are going with in house candidates Kuvnetsov, Laich or MoJo. **** Leonsis. Did they not see how bad the 2nd line was after Grabs got hurt? They produced nothing.  

So our choices include: A kid that has barely played in the NHL, glass man, and a forward that sucks at offense.

K

I'm not even excited about this season. No reason to expect anything different than what we saw last season. 

Chuck Gormley was weird on CSN prior to the DC United game just now.  Almost insisting that either Niskanen or Orpik are signing here on Tuesday.  Weird.

I feel decent enough about that, but we've got nothing in the cupboard.

I'm not even excited about this season. No reason to expect anything different than what we saw last season. 

You know they're gonna catch you.  They always do.

The issue is that we've been saying that for years (decades?) now

And maybe we will address it. Maybe Trotz will make it irrelevant because of his coaching.

Either way, this team is a bottom pair away from being just as good as the Kings or Blackhawks.

Maybe Trotz will suddenly forget defense and crash and burn.

And maybe we will address it. Maybe Trotz will make it irrelevant because of his coaching.

Either way, this team is a bottom pair away from being just as good as the Kings or Blackhawks.

Maybe Trotz will suddenly forget defense and crash and burn.

Please explain to me how we are anywhere close to either of those teams that are filled with competent defenders and players that actually step up in the postseason?

Please explain to me how we are anywhere close to either of those teams that are filled with competent defenders and players that actually step up in the postseason?

I think Carlson, Alzner, Green and Orlov could all serve on the back end of plyoff teams. For the love of god Jeff Schultz played on the Stanley cup team. J F'n S!!!!

I think Carlson, Alzner, Green and Orlov could all serve on the back end of plyoff teams. For the love of god Jeff Schultz played on the Stanley cup team. J F'n S!!!!

Your Jeff Schultz argument only strengthens the reason you are wrong in your assessment. 

Right.

All we get from you is "defense wins championships". Glad the Washington Langways got it done in the 80's.

They didn't get it done because Abe Pollin traded away all our good young players and replaced them with old guys.  Did the same with the Wizards.  Hired friends and family.  Again, your post proved the point.

Abe Pollin allowed Ted Leonsis into his ownership group.  It becomes more evident every year what Abe Pollin saw in Leonsis.....himself.  You don't fire people, only hire people in your ring of trust, never really try and build a championship team, always worry about the checkbook over the championship.

So yeah, all you get from me is the same.  It's groundhog day for me since the mid 1970's.  So according to your thinking we are 2 defenseman away, a couple of centers, a winger away.  Great.

So according to Chip we blow it up?

I'm only asking because I respect your opinion.

I would have preferred Ted hire a real hockey man to run the organization, give him a budget, and stay out of the hockey business.  He is too emotionally involved.  Ted and Abe don't know how to run a hockey franchise.  I don't know what to do at this point.  We just seem to keep trotting out the same ol same ol and hoping we win something.  The big news out of the organization today was we traded picks all over the board.  Yippee!

Really if we had wiped the slate clean and our coach still would have been Trotz I would have been ok.  As long as it was someone new calling it.  I'm sick of internal BS.  I want everyone gone except Trotz including Ted.  Trotz can stay until we have a new GM and owner to see if they work with him.  Trotz will realize soon enough what a failed franchise this is.  Soon as he tries to make a real splash or something and they don't want to do it. 

I'd rather the organization show some damn balls for once and take a damn risk with a big trade.

I don't know who but I'm tired of never hearing the Caps involved with any available big name

LA is mostly an internal build. Chicago is an internal build. Detroit is an internal build.

Philly, Minnesota, Toronto haven't won anything off of their "big splash" trades. I bet Ted is tepid about a big name trade because of Jagr who sunk this team for half a decade. We used to laud Ted because of his stoic building of a team, because he wasn't wasting his time buying players who will only come for a paycheck.

I think a good coach can get more out of this team. Hopefully Trotz is that guy. I am certain Boudreau would have this team in the playoffs.

As I see the team, there are at least 4 defensemen that would make ANY team in the league. They have wingers for days. Their center depth is lacking and as much as I like Grabovski he is another smallish center who can get pushed around. I'm fine with letting him walk as long as he is replaced with someone who has more upside. Goaltending is still a question mark. I wish we would settle on Holtby or Grubauer instead of always looking at what's in the pipeline.

Basically, good coaching and 3-4 upgrades in players would make this team a strong contender in my eyes.

As far as the new GM, I'm willing to give him time to see how he does. I think it's unfair to say that he's the same as McPhee and he won't bring anything fresh. If you've ever held a management position then you know that you have ideas of how to improve your business or how you could perform better than the "upper" management. Saying he isn't a new set of eyes is unfair but I do concede that it's possible he is yet another "yes man" to Leonsis.

I'd rather the organization show some damn balls for once and take a damn risk with a big trade.

I don't know who but I'm tired of never hearing the Caps involved with any available big name

I think that picks up now.  I truly believe that with the disrespect Kuzya showed McPhee and the Caps since 2010, most teams hard balled us and wanted Kuznetsov in any or all deals.

They also knew that McPhee NEEDED to make deals.  It's his fault for putting himself in that position year after year... but hopefully that picks up.

Full disclosure, I don't like or trust anything GMBM.  I have no clue why we hired him.

Give GMBM a chance.  Some of yall are a little impatient.  As it's been pointed out, it's not even July 1.  If things are for the most part status quo by the time August rolls around, then yea...get pissed.  Dude has only had the job for about a month now. 

Archived