Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

27. Washington Capitals

Significant gains: Matt Niskanen, Brooks Orpik, Justin Peters

Significant losses: Mikhail Grabovski, Dustin Penner 

Net shift: The Caps paid through the nose for Niskanen, but that's a move which is at least defensible. The decision to blow $5.5 million per season for the next five years on Orpik (who turns 34 in September) is insane. The loss of Grabovski hurts too. 

Grade: D+

27. Washington Capitals

Significant gains: Matt Niskanen, Brooks Orpik, Justin Peters

Significant losses: Mikhail Grabovski, Dustin Penner 

Net shift: The Caps paid through the nose for Niskanen, but that's a move which is at least defensible. The decision to blow $5.5 million per season for the next five years on Orpik (who turns 34 in September) is insane. The loss of Grabovski hurts too. 

Grade: D+

Well it is bleacher report and how is Justin Peters a significant gain?

I don't like the length of the signings but our team has improved with these signings in the short term.

Grabovski is a huge loss for the Caps. There simply isn't a replacement and if anything happens to Backstrom during the season, this team will really struggle to score. The Caps second line was non-existent when Grabs was hurt. I would much rather have Grabs at 4 years $20 million than Orpik at 5 years $27.5 million.

That's fine.

Just realize how people would be crying because BM didn't address the defense. So really, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

There were ways to address the defense without wasting that kind of dough on Brooks Orpik. Guy is about to be 34 and isn't that good.

The Orpik signing will provide Mike Green with a physical, stay at home defense partner he hasn't had. I Orpik doesn't have to be a Norris candidate to be a successful signing. He needs to cover for Green and clear the crease and mush face of anyone touching Holtby. And he will change the culture on defense. He will get in guys faces if they aren't doing the right thing.

And 39 isn't ancient for NHL defensemen.

The Orpik signing will provide Mike Green with a physical, stay at home defense partner he hasn't had. I Orpik doesn't have to be a Norris candidate to be a successful signing. He needs to cover for Green and clear the crease and mush face of anyone touching Holtby. And he will change the culture on defense. He will get in guys faces if they aren't doing the right thing.

And 39 isn't ancient for NHL defensemen.

The problem is that according to Pens fans, Orpik creates more 2-on-1 situations by being unable to skate than an offensive D-man does from pinching, so despite him staying at home, he may not provide all that much support. If we wanted a marginal defenseman who plays physical, we could just bring Oleksy up to play for all of, what, a tenth of the salary of Orpik?

The only bit of hope I'm holding out for is that maybe Orpik has been recovering from a knee injury or something and will suddenly heal and be able to skate again.

The problem is that according to Pens fans, Orpik creates more 2-on-1 situations by being unable to skate than an offensive D-man does from pinching, so despite him staying at home, he may not provide all that much support. If we wanted a marginal defenseman who plays physical, we could just bring Oleksy up to play for all of, what, a tenth of the salary of Orpik?

The only bit of hope I'm holding out for is that maybe Orpik has been recovering from a knee injury or something and will suddenly heal and be able to skate again.

Penguins fans **** about everyone not named Mario or Sidney. They have no clue how lucky they are to be the commissioners pet team, otherwise there wouldn't be a team in Pittsburgh. Orpik wasn't close to their worst defensemen the last 2 years. He was never the fastest guy, but he is sound defensively. Pitt asked him to play outside of himself last year and went all in on offense. Instead of asking him to play sound, stay at home defense, they tried to pinch at every opportunity. Much like asking Alzner to play an offensive - minded game is a disaster for defense, so is asking Orpik. If we run a sane defensive gameplan, Orpik will be a good defenseman next to Mike Green and will cover some of his mistakes.

Penguins fans **** about everyone not named Mario or Sidney. They have no clue how lucky they are to be the commissioners pet team, otherwise there wouldn't be a team in Pittsburgh.

****ing Bettman.

Orpik wasn't close to their worst defensemen the last 2 years. He was never the fastest guy, but he is sound defensively. Pitt asked him to play outside of himself last year and went all in on offense. Instead of asking him to play sound, stay at home defense, they tried to pinch at every opportunity. Much like asking Alzner to play an offensive - minded game is a disaster for defense, so is asking Orpik. If we run a sane defensive gameplan, Orpik will be a good defenseman next to Mike Green and will cover some of his mistakes.

I hope you're right.

Poker, as someone who plays, you should be able to recognize that speed isn't everything when it comes to defensemen. Orpik should theoretically be OK when he starts losing some speed if he is sound positionally. That's in theory at least.

Poker, as someone who plays, you should be able to recognize that speed isn't everything when it comes to defensemen. Orpik should theoretically be OK when he starts losing some speed if he is sound positionally. That's in theory at least.

Yeah, I know speed isn't everything. I was basing this, however, on observations from fans that in his specific instance, he gets blown by rather often resulting in two-on-ones. And that with his physicality, he'll go for those knock-out blows a lot but usually just winds up whiffing (but when he doesn't look out). Also, as for his speed/skating ability, his backskating and lateral movement are the focal point of his skating issues, and those are rather important for a defender to try to nullify the rush.

All that having been said, these have not been my own observations, so it's entirely possible that Pittsburgh's fans are just stupid and don't know jack :).

Yeah, I know speed isn't everything. I was basing this, however, on observations from fans that in his specific instance, he gets blown by rather often resulting in two-on-ones. And that with his physicality, he'll go for those knock-out blows a lot but usually just winds up whiffing (but when he doesn't look out). Also, as for his speed/skating ability, his backskating and lateral movement are the focal point of his skating issues, and those are rather important for a defender to try to nullify the rush.All that having been said, these have not been my own observations, so it's entirely possible that Pittsburgh's fans are just stupid and don't know jack :).

I don't recall him being a liability in my few instances of watching him. I don't recall him being any better than Alzner or any of the other defensive defensemen we've had here either.

I'm waiting until I see him in red before I make any conclusions.

And... I wouldn't trust any Pittsburgh fans either. They would bash Crosby or Malkin if they ever left the team.

And... I wouldn't trust any Pittsburgh fans either. They would bash Crosby or Malkin if they ever left the team.

Well, to be fair, they wanted Orpik gone, and they didn't have bad things to say about Niskanen who they knew they wouldn't be able to afford to keep.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/07/21/alex-ovechkin-and-maria-kirilenko-break-up-end-engagement/

From Kirilenko:

“I have made a decision to break up our engagement. There are a lot of reasons, but I wouldn’t want to go in detail. I’ll say just that our relationship is over, but I respect Sasha as a person and an athlete and sincerely wish him athletic success in the future.

I’m currently concentrating on preparing for my tennis tournaments and I hope that soon I’ll be able to please my fans with news about my success as an athlete and not just in personal life.”

Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center

Good interview here with new Washington Capitals coach Barry Trotz, by NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.

The first part of the interview focuses on Alex Ovechkin and how Trotz plans to make the face of the franchise more “accountable”; however, since we’ve already written plenty on that topic, let’s turn our attention to Trotz’s comments on the all-important center position.

After Nicklas Backstrom, who will obviously play the middle, it sounds like Trotz wants Marcus Johansson and one of either Evgeny Kuznetsov or Andre Burakovsky to center the second and third lines.

Washington has another potential top-nine center in veteran Brooks Laich, but Trotz suggested that the 31-year-old was likely destined for the wing.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/29/trotz-plans-to-let-johansson-kuznetsov-and-burakovsky-compete-for-time-at-center/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Archived